Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2004, 04:47 AM   #51
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Hehe, well I've spent extended periods of time around all ages of kids and the elementary age is w/o a doubt the hardest for me to be around.
Same. No problem taking 90 teenagers across the country, but just the thought of an hour or two with 30 7-year-olds gives me the willies.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/9647606.htm
Georgia loses Ware to bruised lung

CHARLES ODUM
Associated Press

ATLANTA - For the second time in about a month, Georgia has to replace its starting tailback.

Georgia coach Mark Richt said Sunday that freshman Danny Ware will miss at least one game after tests showed Ware suffered a bruised lung in Saturday's 20-16 win over South Carolina, but that he should be back for LSU on Oct. 2.

Ware, who rushed for 135 yards and three touchdowns in Georgia's season-opening win over Georgia Southern, was held out after he coughed up blood on the sideline in the second quarter Saturday.

With Ware limited to eight carries for 41 yards, Michael Cooper and Tyson Browning combined for 115 yards rushing. Another option at tailback in next Saturday's home game against Marshall is Tony Milton, who spent the last week working at fullback.

Fullback Jeremy Thomas returns from a two-game suspension this week, allowing Milton to move back to tailback.

Richt has options, but no definite answer, at tailback for No. 3 Georgia this week. As for a starter, Richt said, "I don't know. That's a good question. Right off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you."

Ware will be held out of any exercise while the bruised lung heals, so he may need some time to work back into playing form when he is cleared by doctors.

Richt said he did not know how Ware suffered the injury.

Ware moved into the starting role after projected starter Kregg Lumpkin was lost for the season to a knee injury on the first day of practice.

Cooper, who led Georgia (2-0) in rushing in 2003, rushed for 61 yards on 13 carries Saturday. Browning added 54 yards on 11 carries. Another option is freshman Thomas Brown, who was held out with a hamstring injury.

Richt said he remains confident about his tailbacks.

"I know Tyson can play and I know Cooper can play," Richt said. "Danny has proved he can play. I'm excited about what Thomas Brown can do. ... I heard the news about Danny and I didn't like it, but I didn't think we were in trouble at that position."
Old 09-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #53
Ben E Lou

Yeah, I heard this earlier today. Obviously, I'm *really* hoping that hammy comes around this week. I'd like to see him show the world why Richt didn't bother offering Darius Walker a scholly.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #54
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Yeah, I heard this earlier today. Obviously, I'm *really* hoping that hammy comes around this week. I'd like to see him show the world why Richt didn't bother offering Darius Walker a scholly.

Walker sure looked good against Michigan, didn't he?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 PM   #55
GrantDawg

BTW, sorry I missed the fun yesterday here. I had the flu. I don't think Jon's comments would have helped me recover.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #56
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
More on this...

Quote:
Dogs got their man

Walker getting headlines, but Brown suits Georgia coaches

BY JOSH KENDALL

The Macon Telegraph

ATHENS - Back in high school, when Thomas Brown was making Georgia's football coaches covet his skills, he rarely had to worry about waiting for blocks or waiting for anything else.

The Bulldogs' freshman running back gained 1,632 yards as a junior and another 941, plus 17 touchdowns, in seven games as a senior at Tucker High School. Despite a knee injury that prematurely ended his prep career, he was named to SUPERPREP'S All-America team and TheInsiders.com All-South team.

He didn't even have to do everything just right to put up all those numbers. Now he does, which is something he learned Monday after watching tape from last Saturday's Marshall game.

Brown led all rushers with 81 yards in that game, and, "after the game, I thought I played pretty well," he said.

That was before he heard his coach talk about all the holes he missed and then saw it for himself on game film.

"After watching the film, I feel horrible," he said.

Brown's main mistake, lack of patience, is common for young backs, especially fast young backs, coach Mark Richt said.

"If (the hole) doesn't look real pretty, they'll bounce," Richt said.

"Back in high school, they'd outrun everybody for a touchdown. In our league, you have to stick it in there sometimes even if it doesn't look just right."

Against Marshall, Brown "muscled his way for a few good gains, but if he'd of hit where he was supposed to hit, he would have helped himself.

Once he gets a little better feel of where his blocks are coming from, he's going to be a heck of a runner."

Making an impact

Brown is averaging 50 yards per game this year, second-best on the team, and he is expected to enter the Oct. 2 LSU game as the No. 3 Bulldogs' backup tailback behind Danny Ware. It's just the sort of impact Richt expected when he made a commitment to Brown a year and a half ago in Richt's office.

Brown and his father came to Athens for an unofficial visit the summer prior to Brown's senior year.

"(Richt) told me they were recruiting other backs, but if I would commit to them, no other other backs would come here," Brown said. "That meant a lot to me."

A week later, Brown brought mom and dad back and made it official. True to his word, Richt cut off contact with every other running back in the country, including the highly sought after Darius Walker of Buford, who is now making an early impact at Notre Dame.

Good decision

Regardless of how well Walker plays in the shadow of Touchdown Jesus, Richt is happy with the player he got. Brown made an instant impression during summer workouts earlier this year.

The 183-pounder by bench pressing 390 pounds and squatting 520 pounds. His power index, a measure of pound-for-pound strength, is the highest on the team. Only two Bulldogs (Thomas Brown and wide receiver Reggie Brown) have a power index higher than 6; Brown's is 6.56.

"He's fast, he's strong, he's relentless in his running," Richt said.

"We got our man, I'll tell you that right now."
Old 09-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #57
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Against Marshall, Brown "muscled his way for a few good gains, but if he'd of hit where he was supposed to hit, he would have helped himself.

Just curious. Do you blame the use of the word 'of' here on the quoter, or the quotee?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #58
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Just curious. Do you blame the use of the word 'of' here on the quoter, or the quotee?
Assuming that Richt was giving a verbal interview, and not a written statement (pretty safe), I'd say that the fault lies in the guy writing the article. "He'd've" and "He'd of" sound very similar--particularly when intoned by a Southern football coach.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:56 PM   #59
GrantDawg

Says a lot about what they think of Brown to promise not to recruit any other back. I don't really know if any back is worth that promise, though.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #60
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Says a lot about what they think of Brown to promise not to recruit any other back. I don't really know if any back is worth that promise, though.
Well, when you've got Lumpkin and Ware for potentially 3 and 4 more years along with Thomas, and then guys like Cooper and Browning as well, it becomes a much safter promise. My guess is that they only wanted to sign one tailback anyway, had Thomas graded a little higher than Walker, so made this "promise" to him. If Thomas hadn't committed, they would have made the same "promise" to Walker....then the next guy...then the next guy.