Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2004, 11:25 AM   #51
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Bah none of those rivalries compare to Basic H.S. V. Green Valley H.S.

CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #52
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

TCU vs SMU

TCU vs Baylor had the 3rd longest rivalry in college football at the time but when the SWC folded it went away. It was always "Beat the Baptists!"

A&M vs Rice was always big even though Rice usually got squashed but it was more what The Mob (the Rice band) was going to do to screw with the A&M band.

Texas vs Arkansas was a big one for a long time that they are renewing.

Odessa High vs Odessa Permian, outrageous crowds there for a high school game. Midland Lee is in that mix also.

As a Cowboys fan for life, I would have to say Cowboys/Skins. I want them to win those two games more than any of the others.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #53
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Ksyrup - I think you might like this, if you haven't seen it before...

Bowden's proposed changes

You will probably have to hover your mouse over the picture and click the little icon that says "Expand to regular size" to be able to read the captions.

Just a little bump, and a copy to the second page, so that when Noop is around he won't miss it. Hopefully you get a laugh out of it Noop.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:14 PM   #54
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Oregon-Oregon St.

Oregon-Washington

Fresno St.-San Jose St. This was a good rivalry and i do not know if it has been re-kindled since they are both back in the same conference. If i remember correctly, the last great game between the two was Jeff garcia led San Jose St. v.Trent Dilfer led Fresno St. (although maybe Barsotti was still under center for the bulldogs)

BYU-Utah

Air Force-BYU (at least from the Air force side)

U.C. Davis - Sac. State

I wouldn't call Fresno St. - Hawaii a rivalry; but I hate to see a hawaii road game on the Fresno St. schedule. june Jones has done a terrific job and it is so hard to get out of there with a win. Just ask BYU.

As a Raider fan in a family of 49er fans, i can attest to this rivalry. My family doesn't even acknowledge that I like the Raiders. When I say something good about the Raiders, its like they don't uinderstand the words coming out of my mouth. I think it is good that these two teams don't hook up too often. The hatred among the fans is too mean-spirited and it has the potential to turn into one of those european soccer riots at the drop of a hat. They just rub each other the wrong way.

Giants-Dodgers. No love lost here
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #55
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have to agree with the USC - UCLA rivalry as being one of the biggest if not the biggest. In New Orleans, I work with a UCLA alum who refused to talk to me for 2 weeks after she found out I was a USC alum

There were many crazy things that I did with my friends to harass UCLA students around the time of the football game each year. Thinking back on it, it was quite stupid but at the time it was all the rage. Tommy Trojan gets a protective wrap each year (or at least he used to - I haven't been on campus for about 7 years) because of prior abuse by UCLA fans.

The proximity of the two campus allows for a great deal of mischief that is often quite elaborate.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:11 PM   #56
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Just a little bump, and a copy to the second page, so that when Noop is around he won't miss it. Hopefully you get a laugh out of it Noop.

Haha if only we could have those for the games we might actually win one. Ksyrup I am shocked you cheer for the Crocs I would never ever cheer for those mullet wearing crocs.

And the best rival game is Miami and Florida State might not have the history as the others but it is the best period.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #57
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Illinois vs. Missouri

While the bragging rights game is fun... it doesn't hold a candle to the Missouri vs. Kansas rivalry.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #58
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
Odessa High vs Odessa Permian, outrageous crowds there for a high school game. Midland Lee is in that mix also.
I always found my hometown rivalry to be amazing (on a smaller scale than Odessa, though):

Graham H.S. (Bluefield, Va) vs Bluefield H.S. (Bluefield W.Va.)
- Two towns separated by a state line with a combined 20,000 in population. We'd pack a 12,000 seat stadium to standing room only levels every year. The rivalry was profiled on ESPN's Scholastic Sports America my senior year. Although I was interviewed and made it on the program, we lost 6-4. Yes...6-4.

Last edited by VPI97 : 07-28-2004 at 04:16 PM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #59
korme
Go Reds

scoop-

There are only really three golf courses near where I live that are open to the public, Hickory Woods, Little Miami Par 3, and Eaglenest. By far, Hickory Woods is my favorite to play at. Are you sure it was O'Donnell? I sooo wasn't a fan of him, so I would expect not to remember any good things he did.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #60
Zē+
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Are you sure it was O'Donnell? I sooo wasn't a fan of him, so I would expect not to remember any good things he did.

Positive it was O'Donnell. I remember specifically because I already hated him at the time for this Super Bowl meltdown, this made me exponentially more enraged at him.

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Zē+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:37 PM   #61
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Haha if only we could have those for the games we might actually win one. Ksyrup I am shocked you cheer for the Crocs I would never ever cheer for those mullet wearing crocs.

And the best rival game is Miami and Florida State might not have the history as the others but it is the best period.

My brother graduated from UF. Plus, before I moved to Florida in 1990, about the only thing I knew of college football was UM/OSU and Texas A&M. And even then, I still hated the Miami program. I barely even aware UF had a football program, nor did I even know FSU used to be in the Metro Conference, until I moved up here in 1993. So I've got less of a negative reaction to UF than most folks, especially when compared to Miami.

I was all about pro sports before I moved to Florida. Still am, mostly. I really know very little college football history prior to 1993.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #62
Buzzbee
College Starter

Hehe. Ksyrup is the brother of a mullet wearing croc. hehehe.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:01 PM   #63
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Georigia Tech vs. Georgia is a big rivalry. A book about the rivalry was titled "Clean old fashioned hate" and pretty well sums up the feelings between the two. Unfortunately, the rivalry ebbs and flows with how good Tech is, since UGA is usually the stronger of the two (blech, that tasted like poison). It is one of the oldest rivalrys since (i believe) the programs started playing each other in the late 1890's/early 1900's.

I just wanted to quote this in case you started feeling guilty and decided to edit it out later.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #64
OldSchool
High School Varsity

For my fav teams, Va Tech and the Dallas Cowboys, I'd go with UVa and the Redskins as the biggest rivals, respectively.
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:04 PM   #65
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
I just wanted to quote this in case you started feeling guilty and decided to edit it out later.

Being an alum of Tech makes me intelligent enough to look at things rationally. Unlike the rabid fans of Bulldawg nation who follow blindly to the bone.

No editing or guilt on my part. Yet, tremendous glee when Tech wins 3 in a row over the University [sic] of Georgia.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #66
Dawgfan1980
H.S. Freshman Team

Living in Washington State, there are a few rivalries that strike a chord with me.

College Football:

UW vs WSU is the Apple Cup, but it isn't that big of a rivalry, it is normally a good game, but UW almost always wins, unless they have nothing, and I mean nothing to play for (Save 1997, where a better WSU team walked in, and beat UW at home, and then brought out the roses, FU Ryan Leaf, and I'm glad Karma is a bitch)

UW vs U of Oregon. No game makes me love The U of Washington more. And the funny thing, this wasn't a rivalry until UO made it one, with their continuing showing of Kenny Wheaton's pick in 1994, but I think lately that has been fixed, what with back to back 42-10 ass kickings, and those "great" Oregon fans (Yes, you bastards who showered me and my friends with spit, dogbones, dog food, and insults. All you UO Alumnis, go pump my gas for me, whores) leaving in the 3rd quarter.

Baseball

For some reason, the Mariners and the Yankees have a rivalry up here. In fact, they are referred to as the "hated" Yankees after 1995, when the M's beat them. Never could figure this one out. 2001 was sweet revenge though

Pro Football:

It used to be Hawks-Raiders, but now it is Hawks-Niners. Back in the 80's and 90's, The Kingdome used to rock for any tilt against the Raiders or the "Mr. Ed" (Sorry John Elway) Broncos. But now it is The Niners

Basketball

Does Seattle have a NBA franchise?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:10 AM   #67
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
scoop-

There are only really three golf courses near where I live that are open to the public, Hickory Woods, Little Miami Par 3, and Eaglenest. By far, Hickory Woods is my favorite to play at. Are you sure it was O'Donnell? I sooo wasn't a fan of him, so I would expect not to remember any good things he did.

Yep, it was O'Donnell. That play sticks out vividly in my mind for some reason. You'd think I would have forgotten the lost decade by now.

I'm looking forward to Hickory Woods tomorrow. It's an outing that my buddy's family puts on all year. This will be our third year playing Hickory Woods and I really enjoy it. The course is always in good shape and the staff there is great. Sadly, it'll probably be the only time I play all year.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #68
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
MILFORD VERSUS SYCAMORE

If neb checks in, uh, who are the Raiders rivals?

Loveland just doesn't have any rivals.

As for the Browns-Bengals or Browns-Ravens I don't think those rivalries compare to the Browns-Steelers. That's the only one that really matters to the Cleveland fans.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #69
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Loveland just doesn't have any rivals.

As for the Browns-Bengals or Browns-Ravens I don't think those rivalries compare to the Browns-Steelers. That's the only one that really matters to the Cleveland fans.

Ahhh yes, the 2004 battle for the cellar
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote