Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 PM   #51
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer

By the way, any one catch the photos of Emma at the MTV thing? Here's one which probably plays up to the MTV-inspired fashion (or plays down, take your pick).

Ms. Watson

I am now officially a dirty old man. Thanks.

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:19 PM   #52
tategter
High School JV

Ms Watson cannot possibly be British, her teeth are too straight.

Looking forward to seeing this one on HBO (only watch about 5 movies per year on the big screen). Read the books and liked the first two movies as well.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:42 PM   #53
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I didn't like Harris or the current Dumbledore. Harris was to stiff, and this one doesn't have the acting chops. Dumbledore should have gravitas as well as a bit of whimsy.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:54 PM   #54
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
this one doesn't have the acting chops

I must disagree. Michael Gambon is a great actor and has shown it through his fine and lengthy career. I also thought in this movie, he was right for the part. He had a subtle royal feel around him as Dumbledore.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #55
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I must disagree. Michael Gambon is a great actor and has shown it through his fine and lengthy career. I also thought in this movie, he was right for the part. He had a subtle royal feel around him as Dumbledore.
Well, I'm only speaking of this movie, and to me he (as well as just about every adult in the movie) seemed to be reading their lines.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-18-2004 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #56
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

This is kind of funny. The Harry Potter movie in 15 minutes

hxxp://www.livejournal.com/community/m15m/2237.html?thread=39101
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 08:30 PM   #57
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That was so cool.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:16 AM   #58
GrantDawg

Quote:
DRACO (writing):

Mr. Harry Potter
Draco Potter
Draco Malfoy-Potter
Mr. and Mr. Malfoy-Potter

My favorite part....
Old 08-24-2004, 02:35 PM   #59
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Barkeep, what you said reminded me of an earlier post I made here http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=23893

Quote:
However, when I got about half or 2/3 the way through Goblet of Fire, I thought this would make a boring movie or at least a tough one to screenplay, unlike the first three. There was really no suspense – just a bunch of set ups. The first half of the book pretty much focuses on the World Cup. But with such an elaborate (and expensive setup to film), we really didn’t learn much (just the appearance of the Death Eaters, a new elf and the image of the skull). With no Quidditch, you have a three part Wizard contest which the first two doesn’t add much suspense (just neat special effects). So now we have 1 ½ hours of the movie gone and we don’t know much and what we have seen we don’t care too much about (imo). Once we get into the maze (more special effects), then we have the climax with another showdown. Then, we know what the book was about because the imposter (or Rowling) uses the well-worn device of having a character then summarize everything in the book, filling in all of the holes. I think this is a controversial literary device and would make a difficult movie to watch. Fortunately, they have started filming just now and it will be out next year (instead of waiting 1 ½ years for PoA).

Supposed spoilers from the GoF script
"I used to work with a movie review site, and still get reports from some people who think I still do work there. Nowadays I don't use them, but this one I thought I would pass onto you. It contains MAJOR SPOILERS on the upcoming GOF film. My contact got about a half hour alone with a script while doing some work connected with the film. She didn't get to read it through and through, obviously, but got to do a good look of what's in and what's not. Here's a breakdown: (BEGIN SPOILERS) What's been cut: the SPEW storyline altogether, opening scene with the Dursleys, the Hogwarts express (there are shots of it, but nothing in the train,) and the wand weighing. What's still in: Creepy opening scene with Voldemort, Wormtail and Nagini. The Dark Mark scene, the "Potter Stinks" bit, the skrewts, the horntail challenge, the merpeople challenge (should be very cool!) The final challenge, although the spider may NOT be in it. (My source didn't remember seeing it.) The Sphinx is in. So is Dobby and Winky, the Portkeys, Crouch freaking out, the Pensieve scene and Cedric's end. Things that are drastically cut: Yule Ball, Quidditch World Cup, Rita Skeeter stuff (she's in it, but not as much as the book,) Harry stressing over the egg clue, Snape scenes (he's not in it much,) Hagrid & Maxine love story (it's there, but just reduced to a few brief moments for humor,) Dumbledore's humor (again... they never get him right!) Note on the ending: they manage to get it all pretty much in, which is surprising given what's going on. END SPOILERS. I have to tell you, I was disappointed when I heard they cut this from two movies to one, but it sounds like they really pulled it off. The second challenge really acts as a mid-movie action sequence that should blow the doors off of a lot of what we've seen so far in the films. The final challenge also sounds amazing, and the ending should be really creepy. I know they say this with every movie, but this one could be really eerie (not just "dark") because of the very evil Voldemort scenes. Not sure what the young ones will think of it. This stands to do justice to the book, and be the best movie of the series! (And after Cuaron's work, that's saying something!)"

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 08-24-2004 at 02:36 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:26 PM   #60
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
What's been cut: the SPEW storyline altogether,

Quote:
Things that are drastically cut: Yule Ball

Thank god.

Great stuff, Jeeb. I think what's still in would definitely worth watching.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 PM   #61
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i just finished GoF yesterday, and holy crap, i liked the first 3 books, but this one was 10 times better. totally blown away. while i read it, i kept thinking "this is a 3 hour film", but it does look like they cut the right stuff. i still cant imagine fitting it all into 2 hours or so though...maybe they'll have to go to a lord of the rings type "extended edition" dvd? thatd be nice.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:29 PM   #62
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The best thing about the GoF movie will be that Emma Watson will look 100x times better than she did in PoA.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:32 PM   #63
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
The best thing about the GoF movie will be that Emma Watson will look 100x times better than she did in PoA.

You just made this thread very "uncomfortable".
Old 08-25-2004, 08:44 PM   #64
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think we covered that around post #51.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 08-25-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #65
Schmidty
Coordinator

I know, but I had forgotten creepy it was.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:56 PM   #66
GrantDawg

My wife (who will probably post here in a minute) said that someone else on the inside in production of GOF reported that they have about a 4 hour long movie right now even after the cutting of the things mentioned. They still do not know how long the movie will end up, but it will most likely be closer to 3 1/2 hours than 2.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:38 PM   #67
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

From a transcript of an interview with the director.

The Goblet of Fire is a rich, complex and vibrant story filled with new, exciting characters and nerve-wracking plot twists. In fact, the book was so rich (and so lengthy) that many Harry fans thought moviemakers might split the story into two films, releasing one at the end of 2005 and the second at the beginning of 2006. But Warner Brothers insisted that it will not split the movie, and instead will bring the entire story together in one unforgettable saga. Director Newell says, "It's absolutely possible to do justice to the story in one film. You have a story where, in the beginning, the powers of evil have a plan. Harry just wanders into another year of school, and then this huge notion of the competition surprises him. But of course there is a malignant intelligence manipulating things, so he gets more and more suspicious until there's a 'shoot out' between the good guy and the bad guy. There's a really good, strong thriller storyline that can be built into one powerful movie."

Of course, with all the action, adventure, wizardry, and wonder of the Goblet tale - rumors have begun circulating that this film will run a whopping four hours long, with an intermission. This is great news for Harry fans, who naturally don't want the majestic story to be butchered to fit into a two hour time slot. "We're going to be true to the book," says Newell. "We want fans of the book to be thrilled with this movie. We aren't cutting any corners - this is a story that's going to be told."
Old 08-25-2004, 10:50 PM   #68
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

And I reiterate, you can check out http://www.hpana.com which has a lot of information on the rumors related to the GoF movie, including this:
(from http://www.hpana.com/news.18269.html ) ~tk
Rumored sneak peek at 'Goblet of Fire'

Posted by GERI
Source: MuggleNet

MuggleNet has received some information about what may or may not be seen in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Please note that none of this information has been confirmed with Warner Brothers so treat everything you read as a rumor.

Be warned that this information contains major spoilers.

Highlight the following blocks to read:

What's been cut:

1. The SPEW storyline
  2. Opening scene with the Dursleys
  3. The Hogwarts express (there are shots of it, but nothing in the train,)
  4. The wand weighing
What's still in:

1. Creepy opening scene with Voldemort, Wormtail and Nagini
  2. The Dark Mark scene
  3. The "Potter Stinks" bit, the skrewts, the horntail challenge
  4. The merpeople challenge
  5. The final challenge, although the spider may NOT be in it
  6. The Sphinx, Dobby, Winky, the Portkeys, Crouch freaking out, the Pensieve scene and Cedric's end
Things that are drastically cut:

1. Yule Ball
  2. Quidditch World Cup
  3. Rita Skeeter stuff
  4. Harry stressing over the egg clue
  5. Snape scenes
  6. Hagrid and Maxine love story (it's there, but just reduced to a few brief moments for humor)
  7. Dumbledore's humor
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:45 AM   #69
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Big ole bump.

I finally got around to seeing this and liked it quite a bit. I thought the second Potter movie stunk terribly, and was happy to see the (cinematic) series bounce back.

my only issue was the seeming impossible time travel bit, but i can suspend my disbelief and just enjoy a kids movie.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #70
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Big ole bump.

I finally got around to seeing this and liked it quite a bit. I thought the second Potter movie stunk terribly, and was happy to see the (cinematic) series bounce back.

my only issue was the seeming impossible time travel bit, but i can suspend my disbelief and just enjoy a kids movie.

You had an issue with the time travel but didn't have issue with flying hippogriffs, invisibility cloaks, inflatable aunts, a man who can turn into a dog or any of the other magic related elements? It's not supposed to be realistic, it's a movie about magical wizards for crying out loud!!!!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #71
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
You had an issue with the time travel but didn't have issue with flying hippogriffs, invisibility cloaks, inflatable aunts, a man who can turn into a dog or any of the other magic related elements? It's not supposed to be realistic, it's a movie about magical wizards for crying out loud!!!!

But that stuff makes some sort of 'logical' sense. It's fantasy obviously, but it makes sense in a believable way.

The fact is if Harry hadn't gone back in time to save himself, he would have been dead. So he should have been dead before he even had the chance to go save himself.

see what i mean?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #72
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
But that stuff makes some sort of 'logical' sense. It's fantasy obviously, but it makes sense in a believable way.

The fact is if Harry hadn't gone back in time to save himself, he would have been dead. So he should have been dead before he even had the chance to go save himself.

see what i mean?

Iron Maiden? EXCELLENT!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #73
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Iron Maiden? EXCELLENT!

Old 01-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #74
Pyser
Pro Rookie

time travel never makes sense.

ive never had anyone explain to me how john conner can exist in the first place, in order to send someone back to impregnate his mom. ITS NOT POSSIBLE!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #75
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:

see what i mean?

But once you saw that Hermione was the one who broke the canister in Hagrid's, you knew that they were really there the FIRST time...you just didn't know they were there the first time you saw it all happen.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #76
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
But once you saw that Hermione was the one who broke the canister in Hagrid's, you knew that they were really there the FIRST time...you just didn't know they were there the first time you saw it all happen.

The rest of it can make sense, but Harry saving his own life cannot logically make sense.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #77
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Well, I just asked Anthony about it and he said it made sense because they went back "before they got there". So I figure if my 7 year old can figure it out, then you just need to work a little harder!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #78
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The rest of it can make sense, but Harry saving his own life cannot logically make sense.

That depends on how many times Hermione REALLY went back in time. Perhaps the first time she went back she saved Harry's life, allowing him to go back in time the second time in order fix everything (cause she couldn't make a Patronus).

All time travel involves some speculation.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #79
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Did anyone notice Ian Brown in the pub when Harry gets off the bus?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #80
Buccaneer
Head Coach

cth: Coincidentally, I watched this on DVD for the first time last night (I did see it in the theatre though). Cinematically, I think they handled the time travel paradox very well because watching the first "time" scenes, you think about the second "time" scenes in parallel (assuming that you know what had happened). Harry saving himself is the essense of the paradox which is explained by a divergent in the continuum that erased any earlier results (Harry being dead).
Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #81
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I said I was fine with it and people had to poke and prod. Bottom line, enjoyable movie. And again, much, much better than the second.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #82
GrantDawg

I'm with you the anti-time travel thing, CT, but as you said, this was a good story despite it.