Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #51
MrBug708
Head Coach

Thanks GB. You know if there was one Alien, I'd get killed coming outof the skyranger. On a huge assualt mission where you can fire wildly anywhere and hit an alien, I see nothing

Such is life

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #52
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Almighty, however, rises to his knees. He’s alive! He’s got a two-foot long metal pipe sticking through his back and coming out his stomach. Blood is draining out his armor. He must get back up to either Daimyo or Vince immediately if he has any chance of living. Blade6119 also begins to stir. He can barely breathe—the vat has broken ribs and perhaps punctured a lung—but somehow he manages to push the remains of the vat off his crushed torso. His left knee is also twisted right, and his leg is sticking out at a bizarre angle: dislocated knee. He begins to crawl back to the grav-lift. As he does so, Almighty spots him and limps over to help.
Does that sound like someone hoping X-Com members die? That sounds like a posthumous medal to me.

Why you hatin', Lokugh?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #53
Blade6119
Coordinator

AWSOME! Out of all 4 of us in the blaster attack from Tucker, imthe only one that lived?...hmmm, at least i lived even if i got mauled by an inatimate object . Blade IV made me proud today, especially after fighting on after the accident. I hope the withstanding of the PSI attacks and his bravery might have earned him a shot at Mars, since he didnt use the blaster launcher to get his kills(looks at tucker...who killed kingfc)...How the hell did ardent survive?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #54
MrBug708
Head Coach

Thelamighty, where is your dynasty work? Dont be slacking on me....
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:15 PM   #55
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
How the hell did ardent survive?

Skill and dedication to the job at hand.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:16 PM   #56
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
How the hell did ardent survive?

Sorry about that one. My bad.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #57
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
Does that sound like someone hoping X-Com members die? That sounds like a posthumous medal to me.

Why you hatin', Lokugh?

As the three men begin to move out, they hear Almighty babbling in Sectoid in the room above them! Oh, crap. Vince turns around and sees Almighty right behind him, fumbling with a grenade! Vince opens up on full-auto and drives Almighty against the base wall with a series of three hits that rip apart his chest. Almighty is dead before he slides to the ground. The grenade falls from his hands. Clear the area! The three men race off in their respective directions, but the grenade doesn’t go off! Must not have had time to pull the pin. Whew.
---------------------------------------------
Medal indeed, yellow pin of cowardice if you ask me...i push a 500 lb vat off my body and crawl to safety, return to duty and kill more sectoids, dont become an alien bastard, and im a Blade6119 that lived...hmm, who deserves the medal?
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #58
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Sorry about that one. My bad.

I heart X-Com.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:30 PM   #59
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I dont believe gays are allowed in army...we finally found out a way to get ardent the hell out of X-COM!

I didn't say I heart X-Com soldiers.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:52 PM   #60
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Who's to say you would have made it up to the medpac if Almighty hadn't helped you?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:53 PM   #61
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Sorry, Bug. I'll get to it shortly.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #62
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Guys...

In this dynasty, if you could hold off from "gay is bad" humor, it would be greatly appreciated. Nothing against your beliefs--which are up to you--but I'd like to avoid making anyone feel unwelcome because of their sexual preferences.

Thanks.
GB
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:06 PM   #63
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Don't know if you refer to what I posted, but if you look, Almighty actually said it was ok to be gay.

If not, never mind.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #64
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Guys...

In this dynasty, if you could hold off from "gay is bad" humor, it would be greatly appreciated. Nothing against your beliefs--which are up to you--but I'd like to avoid making anyone feel unwelcome because of their sexual preferences.

Thanks.
GB

Wasnt at all saying gay is bad, just stating what i believe to be the Army's rule as of now...nothing about gay being good or bad(either way i deleted the message
Demotivation
Old 06-02-2004, 06:18 PM   #65
kingfc22
Head Coach

My son would like to join the waiting list to avenge his father's much to early death.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #66
Kodos
Resident Alien

I smell a Yellow Pin of Cowardice on the way!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #67
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hah! I killed that disc thing and blew a pivotal hole in the wall. Without me, this mission wouldn't have been a success. Of course I had help from other X-Com soldiers, but I feel that I was a hero on this mission!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #68
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I killed, something.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #69
Lokugh
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz

Lokugh: Nice post! Was Almighty hoping that others died, too? I thought it was just Ardent.

Actually, there was a time there when all of us on the waiting list were quietly hoping, right before the long layoff. But yeah, I got them confused (sorry Almighty). Still, the recruits won't know any better< g >.

Lokugh
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #70
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I do hereby volunteer for any dangerous duty. Jumping off into a fray, base assaults, terror missions in the dark, whatever. I want a chance for glory or death, not baby-sitting scientists and engineers here at USA COM.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:40 PM   #71
thealmighty
Pro Starter

No problem. I'll live.

Shit...no I won't.

Just hope GB saw my plea to be first of the dead to be resurected. I didn't realize the extent of my precognition.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:49 PM   #72
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokugh
Actually, there was a time there when all of us on the waiting list were quietly hoping, right before the long layoff. But yeah, I got them confused (sorry Almighty). Still, the recruits won't know any better< g >.

Lokugh

I guess I could have had the honor, courage, and commitment to tell you guys, too.

Sorry.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #73
Tasan
College Starter

Woohoo, not too many deaths....oh wait I'm stuck in Af-freakin-ka. Well, you guys keep your heads down and guns reloaded. Its just a matter of statistics, no use wishing ill will on anyone ;- )

Oh and I HATE moving IRL
that and starting a job at the same time
Old 06-02-2004, 10:54 PM   #74
tucker342
Pro Starter

tuckerIII reporting for the waiting list. Lets hope he's not as bad as his father and grandfather....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:17 PM   #75
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Nice job on the Spanish base, GB. Sucks to lose guys, but that's why you brought the rookie, right?

P.S. RealDeal needs action.

P.P.S. Kerlinni has a pin of cowardice coming his way, don't forget.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:08 AM   #76
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
I do hereby volunteer for any dangerous duty. Jumping off into a fray, base assaults, terror missions in the dark, whatever. I want a chance for glory or death, not baby-sitting scientists and engineers here at USA COM.

-Anxiety

But we need friends, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:26 AM   #77
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I can be your friend.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:46 PM   #78
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Just dropping by to say I got a bit busy, but should get us back on track on Saturday.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:41 PM   #79
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Me too. I heart X-Com.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:55 PM   #80
Blade6119
Coordinator

i have to take the SATs tomorrow, and i wont have anything to console my broken heart when i return?
Demotivation
Old 06-05-2004, 10:09 AM   #81
Lokugh
Mascot

Good luck on the SAT Blade6119. I'm sure you will do well. Hmmm....ya know, that gets me to wondering. It's been...Dear Lord. It's been 16 years since I took the SAT. I wonder how I would do if I took it now? Maybe I'll start an SAT dynasty and take one of the practice tests.

Or not. The vocabulary portion I could still handle with ease, but I suspect the math portion would kick my butt now. Been too long since I actually did a differential or integral.
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:33 AM   #82
Vince
Pro Starter

Wow...crazy mission. I'm amazed that I survived. Condolences to those troops that are no longer with us
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:19 PM   #83
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Ok, sorry for the delay. School's done, and we're back...

99th Mission: More Snakes in Siberia

The USA COM Skyranger comes up over Alaska once again and heads into Siberian airspace. The sky outside is pitch dark, but the attack is set to go off at dawn. For the second time in less than a week, USA COM agents will be going up against Snakemen in Siberia. Last time, USA COM won the battle five to nothing. Let’s hope for more of the same.

The ten agents on board prepare for battle. USA COM brings with them a mix of veterans and youth. They’ve got their Hovertank back in action, and now have four agents with flying suits. Crappy’s technological advances and Sterling Ice’s manufacturing continue to add strength to our men on the battlefield.

Captain AStott, who’s been in a mild slump of late, will lead our troops today.

Our men:

Left Side:
1. Alf III (Blaster Launcher, Power Suit)
2. Achilles (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
3. Lokugh III (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
4. AStott (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
5. Klayman III (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

Right Side:
1. Airhog II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Sublime II (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
3. Jeeber D (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
4. Mr. Bug IV (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
5. Katon II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

The Skyranger begins its descent to the cold, sunlit, evergreen forests below. The men scan the battlefield. We’ll be coming down on the southwest corner of the active zone, so the areas to the left of our exit and at the nose of our Skyranger are secure. In front of our exit, it looks as if we’ll have a small clearing, at the back end of which lies a medium-size, wooded hill. Off from the right of our exit, we can see a flat clearing. Immediately to the right of our Skyranger, however, will be a large, wooded hill. There is no sign of the UFO.

The Skyranger lands on the hard ground. The ramp falls away with a dull thud…

Alarms blare and red warning lights flash! Hot landing! Our Hovertank picks up a Snakeman, about 40 meters away, to the left of the medium-sized hill that lies in front of our exit. Our tank roars out of the Skyranger bay, with Airhog II and Achilles right behind it. Just as it clears the edge of the Skyranger bay and drops to the ground, the Snakeman fires his weapon. A missile comes racing towards our packed Skyranger, enters the bay, and nails Airhog in the chest. The explosion blows Airhog backwards into Sublime II. Both men go sprawling to the ground. Airhog II is out cold. Stun gas!

As the men in the Skyranger bay start gagging on the gas from the explosion, Achilles continues to the edge of the ramp, where he drops to a knee and opens fire. Plasma arcs toward the Snakemen, who begins to run away. Two plasma blasts slam into the creature’s back before he can get behind cover. The second hit drops him to the ground, screaming. Seconds later, he is dead. X-COM 1, Aliens 0.

As the rest of our men scramble for the exit in the smoky Skyranger bay, Sublime II pulls himself out from under Airhog, rips open a Medi-kit, and begins jacking Airhog with stimulant and pain killers to help him recover consciousness. So far, no luck.

Outside, our Hovertank reaches the ground and scans for aliens near the Skyranger exit. Nothing. We send it up above our position and then east to begin a search of the battlefield. As it moves out, we exit the Skyranger in force. Mr. Bug IV and Lokugh III head down the ramp and break for the long clearing that runs off to our right. Klayman III and Katon II exit as well. They come up under our Skyranger, then break for the large hill that lies right beside the craft. Alf III exits next and sets up a firing position with the Blaster Launcher off to the left side of our Skyranger. Jeeber D follows him out, but then goes airborne over our position. He’ll follow a ways behind our tank and look for shots of opportunity.

As our tank moves forward, it spots a Snakeman, about 50 meters away, advancing on our position at the end of the long clearing to the right of our exit. Mr. Bug IV, at our end of the clearing, rolls out from behind a fallen tree, comes up on one knee, and opens fire at long range. Puffs of dirt shoot up around the startled Snakeman, who begins to frantically search for the source of the fire. Mr. Bug lands a head shot that snaps the creature’s skull back. It topples limply to the ground. Nice shooting Mr. Bug! X-COM 2, Aliens 0.

We continue to expand our position. As our tank clears the far side of the large hill beside our Skyranger, it spots the UFO on the other side of the hill. Almost immediately, it takes a rattling plasma hit to the side. The tank stays up, turns right, and spots a Snakeman moving back alongside the right side of the UFO. None of our team has a line of sight, but Alf III plots a quick firing course with the Blaster Launcher and pulls the trigger. The missile goes up over the intervening hill, drops to the other side, winds around the UFO, and drills the Snakeman. A massive fireball shoots into the Siberian sky. The Snakeman is no more. X-COM 3, Aliens 0.

A couple of minutes later, our tank spots another Snakeman moving through the far end of the long clearing. Lokugh III picks up the alien on his HUD and opens fire from behind a fallen log about 40 meters away. Plasma races towards the Snakeman, who starts to bolt for the woods. Lokugh first few shots miss, but just as the Snakeman reaches the edge of the woods, Lokugh catches it in the side of the head with a shot that snaps the creature’s head to the right and sends him sprawling to the ground. X-COM 4, Aliens 0.

The battlefield goes quiet. Over the next few minutes, our Hovertank weaves its way over the forest, looking for signs of alien life. Finding nothing, it closes in on the UFO. The door to the craft lies on the far side of the craft. While this goes on, Sublime II exits the Skyranger, rises up to join Jeeber D, and then the two of them float over the landscape towards the UFO. Taking a more traditional route, Klayman and Katon walk up over the large hill beside our Skyranger and start towards the UFO. Alf switches weapons with AStott. AStott, now armed with the Blaster Launcher, waits for targets of opportunity.
We bring the rest of our troops into a defensive position in and around the Skyranger, as we want to try to spread our combat experience over as many troops as possible. Airhog is still lights out, but his breathing is steady.

Klayman, Katon, Jeeber D, and Sublime close in on the UFO. We decide to try and take advantage of our flying ability, and try a new way to bust UFOs. We’ll see if AStott can blow a hole in the roof, so our flying troops can either toss grenades inside or enter from the top down. If we couple that with an assault through the front door, we might be able to overwhelm any aliens inside the UFO.

We take the next few minutes to get in position. Our tank, Sublime, and Jeeber D come down to ground level, right beside the north end of the cross-shaped, medium-sized, scout UFO. Klayman and Katon set up firing positions from the side of the UFO exit. Once they’re all ready, AStott fires a blaster missile that arches up over the woods and slams into the roof of the north end of the UFO. The explosion sends a raging fireball down into the UFO, and gets at least one alien in the process: we hear a blood-curdling death scream as the roar of the explosion fades away. X-COM 5, Aliens 0.

Following quickly on the heels of the explosion, Jeeber D and Sublime float up over the side of the UFO and sprint for the gaping hole in the roof. They quickly toss grenades inside the hole. Two quick explosions follow that send a plume of smoke up through the hole in the UFO, but we hear no signs of aliens inside. Suddenly, however, Sublime and Jeeber D catch Snakeman motion inside the UFO! There are at least two inside. Our agents can’t get any shots off before the Snakeman slide out of view. Almost as quickly, a Snakeman comes out the UFO, right in front of Katon and Klayman. Katon is first to fire, and blows a hole in the side of the Snakeman from ten feet away that knocks the creature off its feet. Purple goo drains out of the twitching body, quickly creating a purple puddle on the grass in front of the door. X-COM 6, Aliens 0.

Charge! Klayman and Katon rush the UFO door, pop it open and step inside. From the roof, Jeeber D and Sublime drop through the hole and into the UFO. Klayman is the first to spot the enemy: a Snakemen at the far side of the ravaged interior of the craft. He opens fire on full-auto. Shots slam into the wall behind the Snakeman as it raises its weapon to fire. Before it can get a shot off, Klayman hits it with a shot that sends it crashing backwards into an instrument panel. The alien collapses to the ground, dead. X-COM 7, Aliens 0.

With that, our sensors turn green. Mission accomplished. Boo yaa!

Kills: AStott, 1; Katon II, 1; Alf III, 1; Achilles, 1; Klayman III, 1; Lokugh III, 1; Mr. Bug IV, 1.
KIA: None.
Wounded: None.
Attribute Improvements: AStott, Alf III, Jeeber D, Katon II, Sublime II, Achilles, Klayman III, Lokugh III, Mr. Bug IV.
Final score: 188
Mission Notes:
Very happy with this mission. Seven aliens and seven different agents logged kills. Only Airhog II, who was unconscious for everything except the first ten seconds of the battle, didn’t get experience.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #84
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Random replies...

Coffee: Yeah, Blade6119 might just be up for one of those rectal horseshoe awards. Probably wouldn't qualify if he were a normal soldier, but with his family history and all, it's pretty amazing he survived that blast. He was the furthest away though. I was amazed Almighty survived the hit though. He was only a few feet away from Kingfc.

Blade6119: Not only did you fight on in great pain, you made a key kill. Had that alien gotten through, we would have been screwed.

Almighty, Blade6119: Thanks. My comments weren't aimed at any one person in particular, just the general direction things were heading. Let's move on.

Almighty: Sorry, but to be fair, everyone that dies in a mission gets put on to the waiting list in the order of their death.

Tasan: Good luck with the move and the job.

Real: Thanks. It's a tough spot now, though. I want to protect our top agents, but also want to get them in enough action to keep gaining experience. Too dangerous, they die. Too safe, they don't get better. Trying to walk the fine line.

Blade6119: Hope the SATs went well!

Everyone: Would like to get back on track again. Will try to post the lead-in for mission 100 tomorrow, and post mission 100 on Wednesday. Yikes, 100 missions. Who'd have thought it would last this long.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:46 PM   #85
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Go X COM!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:10 AM   #86
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

GB pitches a shutout.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #87
Tasan
College Starter

Hey someone pass the Gameboy, its getting boring in africa!

How about another suicide mission for the kiddies GB?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #88
Poli
FOFC Survivor

How about....no?
Old 06-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #89
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Update

November 21

We still have the UFO crash in the Congo to clean up, and today we launch the ASIA COM Skyranger to deal with that problem. They'll arrive at the jungles just after dawn.

On board:
Split Personality III, Jeff Nights II, Danny Van Halen, Psycho Cop II, Sir Fozzie II, Thomkal II, BYU II, Afoci, Calis, Hoops Guy.

Good luck, men.

This mission will go up today or tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:32 PM   #90
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Hoorah XCOM!
Old 06-09-2004, 01:47 PM   #91
RealDeal
High School Varsity

I need sum axshun
Old 06-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #92
tucker342
Pro Starter

isn't it kind of early to be drunk

Last edited by tucker342 : 06-09-2004 at 10:42 PM.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #93
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Woohoo! Historic Mission 100!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #94
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

100th Mission: Congo Jungles

The ASIA COM Skyranger circles off the coast of Africa, waiting for dawn. Outside the craft the sky is dark, but a light band of pink is rising over the black ocean to the east.

The men inside the craft make their final preparations for battle. This will be our 100th engagement with the enemy. It is the 325th day of the war.

The mood in our Skyrangers lately is vastly different than that of a mere month ago. A month ago we were fighting what seemed an endless, losing campaign. A month ago we were slogging through battle after battle with little hope of winning the war. A month ago, our planet seemed doomed. But now, a month later, we’ve located the aliens’ command center on Mars. Construction is underway for an Avenger-class spacecraft capable of making the journey to that command center. Every X-COM agent is training around the clock in hopes of being one of the select few to make that journey. In short, there is a determined hope inside our Skyrangers lately. However, that hope has a dark, sharp edge: we’ll only get one shot at Mars; we’ll only be able to take 18 men; and Earth will be overrun by aliens within days should we fail on that mission. The stakes have risen, but the final confrontation is the only path to victory. It must be done.

Today’s battle will be another small step towards that final confrontation, another chance for agents to prove to X-COM command that they should be one of the souls to hang the fate of mankind on, and another chance to die.

The pilot announces that he’s taking the Skyranger in. The craft begins its descent to the steamy jungles of the Congo.

Jeff Nights II leads our men today.

Left Side:
1. Split Personality III (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Jeff Nights II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
3. Danny Van Halen (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
4. Psycho Cop II (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
5. Sir Fozzie II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

Right Side:
1. Thomkal II (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
2. BYU II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
3. Afoci (Blaster Launcher, Power Suit)
4. Calis (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
5. Hoops Guy (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

The men search the battlefield as the Skyranger drops through muggy, hazy skies to the jungle floor below. This one is easy, guys: we see jungle. To the east, west, north, and south, there is wet, swampy, hot, verdant jungle. As far as we can see, it’s all the same, and it’s filled with bugs, snakes, and worst of all, Floaters. However, there is one tiny irregularity in the landscape: about 30 meters to the right of where we’ll exit our Skyranger, we can make out a small plume of smoke rising above the jungle canopy. This should mark the location of the cross-shaped, medium scout that is our objective today.

The Skyranger drops through the jungle rooftop and immediately the world changes. The wide sunlight is gone. Instead, we’ve faced with a cramped, shadowy, dripping mass of vegetation. The Skyranger slams onto the uneven jungle floor. The ramp falls away…

Alarms! Red warning lights! Hot landing! Our tank’s infrared has picked up Floater sniper hiding in a tree right in front of us, about 20 feet away.

Our tank, Thomkal II, and Split Personality III race for the exit. Our tank heads down the ramp as a plasma blast comes right for our Skyranger bay and ricochets off the craft’s tail. Thomkal and Split drop to a knee and open fire at the Floater. Thomkal II hits the thing with his first shot. We see a flash of purple. The Floater screams and falls out of the tree to land with a soft thud on the jungle floor. The jungle falls quiet. X-COM 1, Aliens 0.

Our tank reaches the bottom of the ramp, spins…

Nothing. We move out. Psycho Cop II and Danny Van Halen head straight out the exit and begin to slowly search the jungle in front of us. BYU II exits, turns left and starts for the wall of jungle to the left of our Skyranger. Calis exits, joins our tank, and starts right, toward the smoldering UFO we can see through a thick wall of vegetation. Thomkal and Jeff Nights II exit and use their Flying Suit to go up over the battlefield. They’ll try to pick out Floaters from just under the jungle canopy. Sir Fozzie II exits and jogs to catch up to Calis. Everyone else shuffles to the edge of the Skyranger ramp.

Suddenly, Psycho Cop spots a Floater, about 20 feet away, moving in on our position through the jungle in front of our exit. Both combatants go for their weapons at the same time, but Psycho is a fraction of a second faster: he gets off a quick shot that blows apart the Floater’s chest and sends it wailing to the ground. Close call! X-COM 2, Aliens 0.

We continue to move out. As our tank, Calis, and Sir Fozzie close in on the UFO, our tank picks up motion, about 20 meters away, by the right side of the smoking craft. Floater! With all the trees and undergrowth in the way, we can’t get a line of fire on the creature. Suddenly, a blast of plasma from the Floater comes tearing through the wall of vegetation in front of us and slams into our tank’s turret. The hit jolts the turret up off the tank body a few inches. The turret then falls back into place. It can still function, but it is badly damaged. It gets off a quick shot at the source of the enemy fire, but the shot harmlessly obliterates an intervening tree. Time for some Thunder from Above!

We bring Afoci up to the edge of the Skyranger bay, and have him plot a firing course with the Blaster Launcher. He does so and pulls the trigger. The rocket tears out of the Skyranger bay with a whoosh, goes up over the intervening vegetation, then slams back to earth near the Floater’s location. There is a massive roar that sends jungle growth, smoke, and dirt flying in five directions. We can hear the screams of the burning Floater as the noise from the explosion dies down. Ha! X-COM 3, Aliens 0.

We continue to move out. Thomkal and Jeff Nights II approach the UFO from above. The craft is badly damaged. It looks it got beat up badly in the crash landing. We can see a huge hole in the roof of the craft. As our tank blows a hole in the thick vegetation to allow our ground troops through, Jeff Nights takes a chance and makes a long grenade toss through the hole in the UFO roof. Seconds later the grenade goes off with a crash. We immediately hear the screams of a dying Floater! Nice throw, Jeff! X-COM 4, Aliens 0.

And that does it. The threat sensors turn green. Mission over. Short but sweet!

Kills: Jeff Nights II; Thomkal II, 1; Afoci, 1; Psycho Cop II, 1.
KIA: None.
Wounded: None.
Attribute Improvements: Thomkal II, Jeff Nights II, Afoci, Psycho Cop II.
Final score: Forgot to write it down.
Mission Notes:
Jungle missions can be tricky because of all the vegetation. I’m glad we came out of that one intact. Hard to get everyone into the action on these short missions, though.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #95
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Update

November 22-24

Amazingly, nothing of interest happens on the 22nd. The 23rd brings us back into action however: ASIA COM responds to a radar intercept on a small UFO over China. Within minutes Toddiec IV blows the thing to pieces with a fusion ball. No survivors on that one.

On the 24th, a large UFO supply ship heads towards the British base, and go into action. Up to now in the war, we've been unable to engage the larger UFOs in the air, but now that we've got our new Firestorm fighter available, all that has changed. We launch the Firestorm immediately. As it chases the UFO towards England, we prepare our Skyranger for launch.

The UFO makes it to the base and lands safely. A few minutes later our Firestorm begins a looping holding pattern over the base. Shortly after that, the EU COM Skyranger launches with a full complement of agents.

An hour before our Skyranger arrives, the UFO takes off. Our Firestorm pounces, sending two fusion balls slamming into the craft. Smoke starts spewing out of the craft. It loses altitude quickly, and crash lands in the British countryside. We got one!

Our Skyranger continues toward the target. Supply UFOs usually contain a large complement of Sectoids, and they have officers on board, so they have PSI capabilities. We'll need our best performance to walk away from this one without major casualties.

On board today:
Kodos, Raven Hawk II, Breeze, Japherwaki II, Swaggs, Jfbbis, Revrew, Wolfpack, The Time, Sachmo III

Give 'em hell, men.

This mission should go up on Saturday. I'll try to post one of my always helpful preliminary reports sometime Friday.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #96
Tellistto
College Prospect

Nice and easy mission in the jungle. That grenade toss was really nice. Supply ships are kinda strange...if you knock 'em down before they can supply, they tend to keep sending more until one makes it. Or...that's how it worked on my PS version of this game.

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 PM   #97
Swaggs
Coordinator

Just no more Fortune Cookies, please.

That was stressful last time...
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:02 PM   #98
JeffNights
College Prospect

NIce to be in on the 100th mission, but business as usual men!

Also, "Helpful preliminary reports" eh....
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:26 AM   #99
Raven Hawk
College Starter

The EU Com radio operator hears an incoming transmission from the Skyranger.

Pshhhh. "EU Com, this is the skyranger reporting." Pshhhh. "Are you happy with your long distance service? Over." Pshhhh.

Pshhhh. "Ow! . . . Stop . . . the hurting . . ." Pshhhh.

Another voice: Pshhhh. "Give me that you freakin rookie!"

Click.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-11-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:32 AM   #100
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Ack! Finally an EU Com mission, and I get skipped. Is there another base I could be of more use? I want some action!