Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2004, 06:51 PM   #51
sabotai
General Manager

Well, I basically mastered leaning out of the way of punches to the head. When your opponent goes to throw to the body, he leaves himself wide open for a shot to the head. If he's covering up or leaning back, it's an open shot to the body. I basically do everything from a leaning position of some kind.

It took me awhile to get used to it. When leaning, you have to be leaning forward on the left analog button to throw to the body. To throw to the head, you have to be pulling back. It takes awhile, but you get used to it and the game becomes pretty easy from there. Just learn how to counter from there and what to throw to counter and you'll be set. The problem is fighting people like Byrd who refuse to stay in close, so you have to be content with landing one body shot or one head shot and then chasing him.

I beat Byrd for the Heavyweight title by decision. 114-112, 113-112, 113-112. He knocked me down once and I knocked him down twice.

Also, conserve your punches. The reason I lost some later rounds against Byrd was because my blue energy bar was way down. In fact, if I hadn't knocked him down in the 11th, the fight would have been a majority draw, so I got kind of lucky there.

With the heavy bag, I switch the buttons. I gave up on trying to do that with the TPC. All you need is left hook and right hook. After a few times of practice, it becomes really easy. For the other three I stay with the TPC. Remember with the combo dummy, you don't have to do it fast. So when switching to head and body, take your time. All you really need in that training thing is one or two long string of punches and you're set. Sparring, you get a lot of point for lean + counter and block + counter and parry + counter. So learn to lean and counter and you'll get a lot of point. It also helps to hit the sparring partner with 3 or 4 jabs in a row. Training Mitts, just like the combo dummy, take your time. In the early times all you need is 10k and 20k points. By the time you start needing 50k, your points should be high enough that only getting 8 or 9 points won't matter.

I'm also starting to get the hang of blocking, but it's hard.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #52
Anthony
Banned

i've played my last games online with this game. to go from a mostly realistic fighting AI to the slugfest that is online play i've had my fill. i'm 1-3. played 2 straight games of who can throw the most punches. lots of fun.

overall i think i'm getting my fill of online sports games. its just really hard to find quality gaming partners. i guess it's too much to ask for people to play realistic. my whole game is fighting out of the lean and blocks (ie., defense setting up my combo's). i'm not good when it's punch for punch. not even fun.

i'll take the AI. lost my first game with my contenda. 21-1. 20 K's.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:37 AM   #53
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Not meaning to threadjack, but I agree about online sports gaming. I don't play FPS games much, so I can't comment on those, but so few people want to play realistically, it seems. I tend to stick with AI too.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:18 PM   #54
sabotai
General Manager

Hence the reason I didn't care about playing Fight Night online and got the XBox version.

Although I used to (and plan to again in the future) play FPS online a lot, with sports games I just don't have interest because I know either 1 of 2 things will happen. It'll become a "slugfest", whichever sport it is, or 2) I'll play realistically, taking advantage of his weaknesses, take an easy lead and oops, lost connection.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:36 PM   #55
fflix
Mascot

Is there a way to practice training? I'm pretty horrible at all of them, besides sparring, using TPC and wish there was a way to practice without giving up my boxer's attributes.
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:42 PM   #56
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Hence the reason I didn't care about playing Fight Night online and got the XBox version.

Although I used to (and plan to again in the future) play FPS online a lot, with sports games I just don't have interest because I know either 1 of 2 things will happen. It'll become a "slugfest", whichever sport it is, or 2) I'll play realistically, taking advantage of his weaknesses, take an easy lead and oops, lost connection.

totally. i noticed you can't ever get a huge lead in online sports games. if you get too big a lead people (most people that is) will disconnect. it's almost as if you have to keep it close and win on a last second point just so the other guy (or kid most likely) will be interested in finishing the game. i disconnect every now and then, but only if i don't like the playing style of the other guy. like if it's madden and the guy is the falcons and all he does is run with Vick i disconnect, or if the guy generally takes too long to make a play (excessive pauses or not skipping instant replays). in Fight Night if you get knocked out you can't skip the replay, only the guy who knocks out the other guy can skip the replay. last night i purposely didn't try to get up after my 3rd knockdown cuz the other guy insisted on watching the entire replay. ugh.

by and large i'm quickly learning online sports aren't for me. if i'm really gonna get into them it'll be to play with people i know.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:46 PM   #57
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
if i'm really gonna get into them it'll be to play with people i know.

This is, as I learned, the way to go in all online games. When I played TFC (Team Fortress Classic, HL mod), whenever I played on just some random server, I ended up just getting frustrated because people were either just acting retarded, they sucked, or they intentially did things to ruin the game for others. I found that I really could only play on servers with people I knew (or knew were good, did not act stupid) were on.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #58
fflix
Mascot

Does anyone have any tips for the punching mitts training? What am I supposed to do? After the coach raises the mitt and says what to throw, I throw the punch, but the punch never connects and I get a "missed". Am I throwing the punch at the wrong time?
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:43 PM   #59
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Now I can see why Ardent spends so much time hanging out with him...her...

You don't get added to my buddy list for this.