Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:12 PM   #51
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I saw the post after Joe had responded. Had I seen it earlier I would have posted what an asshole 44niners fan is. I havent seen people this wouund up since Darkiller posted all of his anti USA dixie chick mentality thoughts on here awhile ago. Come to think of it, he likes the 49ers too. Maybe there is a pttern here....

Old 11-28-2003, 11:12 PM   #52
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Just to clarify...

I certainly wasn't indifferent as I did question the guy's humanity and civility. However, I AM very anti-flame war, and based on the individual's original post, I knew that was the direction this thread was quickly leading towards (and justifiably so). Just because I didn't flame the guy, doesn't make me indifferent.

Really, from the many conversations we've had in the past, I considered you a good, straight-up guy. I assumed you thought the same of me, but perhaps I was mistaken.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:16 PM   #53
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Time for the make-up orgy. Fritz in the middle.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:21 PM   #54
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Think 44Niners can use the excuse that his grandma died, he was upset as excuse for this?

:rimshot:

I got nothing.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:23 PM   #55
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

My condolences for the loss.

Now, on to the other matters. How can you call out the regulars for not jumping on this thread?

First, it's not 'one of our own' that was jumped on. Not saying that should mean anything, but let's be realistic, it does.

Second, and most importantly, if the thread gets jumped on, all that happens is a flame war breaks out and you'll end up with 3 of 4 people saying things in the heat of the moment that will get them suspended. Especially since there is already a rift between some members of this board and the .400 Fanboys (a distinct classification here, not a general classification). The best thing to do with this type of post is to ignore it and let it drift it's way off page one.

Third, hmm, I had a third point when I thought through this post. Oh well, for right now I'll just use this space to go off the thread topic and say how nice it is to be in first place (sorry Jeeber ).

Now with that said, Joe and Arlie beed to stop posting and get back to TPF. I've sold my soul to FOF2004 but I can find a spare to sell (we Eagles fans have no real soul, so we're told, so it's easy for us to sell them off like there's no tommorrow) if you come up with a winner in TPF.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:28 PM   #56
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am suprised this thread we repened honestly. I checked the .400 boards and there was no thread pointing them in this direction. I am sure we will have a couple show up here soon. Not that I blame them. I excpect retalition.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:28 PM   #57
druez
Banned

Sigh, I shouldn't say this but I will. The guy who started this post is really a bit unsympathetic. He mabye me an ass, callow, rude or a 100 different things.

But, all he did was express an opinion. Nothing more he basically just said he didn't believe .400 and said it was suspicious.

Now, I believe Gary and the gang. I see why Joe was very upset at this guy, but should it stop this person from voicing his opinion?

I'm one of those firm believers in freedom of speach and his post wasn't incrediblely vile nor was it completely far fetched. There are people out there who would indeed lie about something like this. NO I DO NOT THINK the .400 boys did, but it is possible that a group of other less scrupulis people would.

Well that is all I have to say on the topic, and I'm truely sorry to Gary and the Gang over at .400.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:28 PM   #58
Calis
College Starter

Good points made by a couple people here.

In all honesty though, don't underestimate the fact that people didn't even look at this thread.

I didn't even look at it until I noticed that it was like, then I had to check. I figured it was another one of "those" threads, after the mini-debacle we had with the .400 HTML thing, so I decided to steer clear. I imagine I wasn't alone.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:36 PM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree with Calis. Many people may not have read the thread to respond. I think I was logged in here at the time, but I was doing something in another window. I do this frequently, and I imagine many other members here also have FOFC in the background when they are doing other things. By the time I actually read the initial post, the thread was closed. I for one would have decried the initial post in this thread as soon as I saw it regardless of who we are talking about (Joe, Arlie, Markus, Marc, Jim, etc.) These sort of family crisises are the sort of thing that transcends any loyalty to one gaming company or another.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:38 PM   #60
Dutch
"Dutch"

This thread sucks.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:41 PM   #61
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
This thread sucks.

You may regret posting this with The Afoci lurking and making sex jokes.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:45 PM   #62
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
You may regret posting this with The Afoci lurking and making sex jokes.

Lurking is a casual term. I do have the dignity to not smear the beautiful atrocity that has occured here. At least not with sucking noises. Farting can be erotic, but when it is from your mouth, Rowdy Piper comes to town. Asks for some cash.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:45 PM   #63
Anthony
Banned

"IMO, if Jim would have been the developer in question and not Gary, there would have been 20 FOFC regulars in 5 minutes after the post calling out 44Niners for an awful post. I would have been in that group of 20 as well as it would be the right thing to do. But, since it was a developer at .400, it seemed that there was less outrage than their should have been."

this is silly. don't be naive man. this is the FOFC board, it's very apparent where our loyalty lies. even if someone were to bash Solecismic we just don't have the blind fan-boys you guys have over at your boards to start up a lynch-mob whenever someone steps out of line (which is why i don't go there).

i also don't think you should be so retarded as to pit your company's track record with that of Solecismic.

jim has earned the benefit of the doubt, your company has repeatedly dropped the ball. there are bound to be doubters, however dumbfounded their conspiracy theories may be.

of course, many of us know that some things are best left unsaid. unfortunately some of us don't. the morons get called out eventually.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:52 PM   #64
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Is it an apology when there isn't an actual apology? I suppose this is the best we'll get.

Thanks for at least admitting to overreacting, Joe. For my part, this thread was already closed before I got home and read it. I can't speak for any others here.

I'll be honest, though, I am still very much on the fence with your company right now. I want to buy TPF because I see the potential there, and I believe in supporting text sims. But right now, I feel quite wary of you, and I am not yet sure if I should give my support.

Good luck in the future, and my deepest condolences to Gary for his loss.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:59 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I should have chimed in sooner when the post was made, but I figured SD would handle it accordingly... and he did just a tad bit later.

*I* sometimes forget he has a life other than policing goofballs who post without much thought.

Todd
Old 11-29-2003, 12:03 AM   #66
TroyF
Coordinator

Joe,

Being the first person who posted in response to the thread, I think you probably deserve to hear some things from me.

1) I knew this was going to start into a flame war. I posted that I didn't agree with the comment and reported the post to the mods. I had zero idea of what the entire situation, other than the mention of the situation by 44Niners in the thread.

2) After reporting it, I came back and saw some more going on and him (and others) acting continuing to hammer home the theme. I was DEEPLY offended at this point. To write a post in anger or make an accusation like that is in very poor taste, but we've all said things we regret or things that didn't come out right. When I saw that this person had time to think about his statements and was now trying to rationalize them, I jumped in and said my peace a couple of times.

3) I had one of those "angry" moments when I read your post. I don't like being compared to someone like 44Niners. I don't like it when my friends (of which there are many on FOFC) are insulted by this comparison. My original post to you in the thread was longer and much along the lines of Chief Rum (ie: I'll never buy a product from your company) I calmed down and was ready to post again when the thread was locked.

To be perfectly honest, I had to read the post 2 times before I realized what it said. I came into the thread expecting to hear a bunch of .400 bashing and I wanted to know what had happened to cause it. I skimmed through the post and shut down the thread. Something bothered me about it and I went back and looked again. I knew at that point it might be a good idea to get flame protective clothing because it was going to be ugly.

I'm sorry for Gary's loss. I wish nothing but the best for .400 studios and understand why you posted what you did. Hope the same thing goes back the other way.

TroyF

Last edited by TroyF : 11-29-2003 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:08 AM   #67
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Stallings
Wow. A few weeks ago, a sim developer plays the "death in the family card" as you call it, right before a release, and is given a tremendous show of support and sympathy from this forum, the .400 forum and other game forums around the Internet.

A similar circumstance happens to one our people (and this *is* Gary Gorski's game, not a team of 10 or more developers) and we get "bugs pile up and all of a sudden we have a death which is causing the delay." This is just sorry, sorry, sorry.

Ben, I'll have to say, the quality of this board has really deteriorated over the past two years. I used to enjoy reading insights about sports games (and other things) here, but this is just another example of vile spewing which has, unfortunately, become all too common at FOFC.

I'll not frequent this community any longer.

Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

I can't even begin to tell you how offensive I find these comments.

First of all, I didn't play any cards. I was a couple of days from releasing the game, and people knew that from comments I had made. I had to say something. I posted that I had to leave town because of a family emergency. I released the game a couple of days after I returned.

From the day I left until this moment, I had not made a single public reference as to the nature of the emergency. I do not think comparing the situations is appropriate - both for my sake and for Gary's.

And second, I don't think you understand this forum. It works because it isn't anyone's official outlet, and we have a lot of different opinions here. I left the forum for a long time for reasons actually unrelated to what kcchief mentioned (I don't want to discuss them, but SkyDog's presence is the reason I returned, and I strongly disagree with your calling him out). This is a holiday Friday, and Friday afternoons and evenings, I've found, are always unusually slow here. I think people responded appropriately to a very offensive comment and the right actions have been taken. To indict the community for one dumb and incredibly insensitive comment seems wrong.

Please, just leave me out of your commentary in the future. I don't deserve to have my name brought into this discussion, for any reason.

Gary, if you're reading this mess, please accept my deep sympathies for your loss.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:11 AM   #68
SCJenkins81
n00b

Joe is right. Come on people stop and think for a minute. 44Niner basically ripped another human being who had just lost a loved one. Losing a loved one is complete misery - and I cannot image what it would be like if Gary, in his grieving, knew that someone was out there accusing him of lying about it just because someone was unsatisfied with the fact that his computer life had been set off course for a few days.

So considering this, I don't blame Joe for reacting with emotion. What do we expect? Is everyone supposed to behave like a robot here? There are some things in life, guys, that are so awful and disgusting, that when they hit home with a decent and upstanding guy like Joe, heck, you're damn right a little emotion is going to come out.

So let's try and remember who the real loser is here. It ain't Joe.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:13 AM   #69
Mota
College Benchwarmer

And if you take away all the "death in the family thing", the original poster would probably be whining if it did come out and was buggy. But if it gets pushed back a few days he whines because it's not out. Sounds like he would never be happy, regardless of the result.

If it did get pushed back because of bug fixes, that's great! I don't think anybody wants the fiasco that was TDCB to repeat itself.

And the whole "get someone else to release it" is ridiculous. If Radiohead was in the middle of writing an album and had to get out of town for a bit, would it be okay if the producer and a few record execs finished the recording for them? I don't think so. This is Gary's project, don't hijack it from him, he'll be back in a few days and put the game in our hands in no time. And 44niners will need to find something new to whine about.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:18 AM   #70
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally posted by Hell Atlantic
"IMO, if Jim would have been the developer in question and not Gary, there would have been 20 FOFC regulars in 5 minutes after the post calling out 44Niners for an awful post. I would have been in that group of 20 as well as it would be the right thing to do. But, since it was a developer at .400, it seemed that there was less outrage than their should have been."

this is silly. don't be naive man. this is the FOFC board, it's very apparent where our loyalty lies. even if someone were to bash Solecismic we just don't have the blind fan-boys you guys have over at your boards to start up a lynch-mob whenever someone steps out of line (which is why i don't go there).
What does this have to do with being a decent human being and not taking pot shots at someone who just lost a loved one.

Quote:

i also don't think you should be so retarded as to pit your company's track record with that of Solecismic.

jim has earned the benefit of the doubt, your company has repeatedly dropped the ball.
This is an amazing post. To somehow insinuate that the success of some prior game release Gary wasn't even involved with is necessary for Gary to receive the same level of human decency as another person is just stupid.

This is perhaps the biggest fan-boy post I have ever seen in this forum. To somehow say that Jim deserves more human compassion for a tragic loss in his family than Gary because Jim had a better release is unbelievable.

Arlie
Old 11-29-2003, 12:23 AM   #71
MrBug708
Head Coach

*wonders when this thread is going to be closed*

It's gonna get ugly me thinks
Old 11-29-2003, 12:24 AM   #72
TroyF
Coordinator

Good Lord.

If only there were a button on each person's post where I could reach out and slap the hell out of them.

This just gets sadder and sadder.

TroyF
Old 11-29-2003, 12:25 AM   #73
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
*wonders when this thread is going to be closed*

It's gonna get ugly me thinks

Going to get ugly?

It's so ugly, it's wrapped around the other side and hit beautiful, and then had enough ugly left over to get back to disgusting.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:26 AM   #74
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
Going to get ugly?

It's so ugly, it's wrapped around the other side and hit beautiful, and then had enough ugly left over to get back to disgusting.

Foz, are you drunk?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 11-29-2003, 12:28 AM   #75
bbor
Pro Starter

It's a fucking game.

LIFE is more important.

My deepest sympathy to Gary and his family.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:30 AM   #76
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuqua
Foz, are you drunk?

Just stating facts.. this thing is ugly.

Which is sad, cause I do have a lot of respect for both .400 and Jim.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:31 AM   #77
WillyWTE
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
Going to get ugly?

That's high quality late night shit. Thanks Foz

Willy
Old 11-29-2003, 12:33 AM   #78
hollmt
High School Varsity

dont mean to stick my nose where it doesnt belong, but SD or Ryan...close this thread before more people open their mouths, move their fingers, or whatever and say/type more crap.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:34 AM   #79
Arles
Grey Dog Software

FWIW, I don't thing bringing in Jim's situation was the right thing to do on Joe's post. And Jim, while I am not Joe, I do apologize to you for that action from .400 as a whole.

Last edited by Arles : 11-29-2003 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:35 AM   #80
PilotMan
Head Coach

Maybe 44niners just needs to watch less Survivor?

I agree with the general consensus on this one. One rouge poster, writing things that really have no business on the board, for a situation that in the grand scheme of life really makes no difference. Let the games come when they come, my family and yours are much more important than the game.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 11-29-2003, 12:36 AM   #81
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Cool thoughts there Arlie.

I do think the thread needs to be shut down for the night, I think we need some cooling off, in the heat of the moment, a lot was said that really wasn't meant.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:40 AM   #82
Suicane75
Coordinator

I think everyone other than Joe who says they were offended should be ashamed of themselves.
How would you feel if someone came out and said something to you like niners said to him?
imho just let him vent and let it slide for gods sakes, at least for the weekend.
This thread should of been over 4 hours ago, and not because someone closed it, but because were all mature enough to know when to just drop it.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 11-29-2003 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:44 AM   #83
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

All this began from a person who has not contributed one iota to the community we have established. What a shame.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 11-29-2003, 12:45 AM   #84
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
All this began from a person who has not contributed one iota to the community we have established. What a shame.

Good point senator.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:46 AM   #85
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Memphis is 8-3 and playing South Florida on Saturday. (I guess thats today).

How about them Tigers?
Old 11-29-2003, 12:47 AM   #86
The_herd
College Starter

Marshall won today. They need a lot of luck right now to get an at-large bowl selection from the MAC.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:48 AM   #87
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Thanks, Arlie. I appreciate it.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:57 AM   #88
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by druez
Sigh, I shouldn't say this but I will. The guy who started this post is really a bit unsympathetic. He mabye me an ass, callow, rude or a 100 different things.

But, all he did was express an opinion. Nothing more he basically just said he didn't believe .400 and said it was suspicious.

Now, I believe Gary and the gang. I see why Joe was very upset at this guy, but should it stop this person from voicing his opinion?

I'm one of those firm believers in freedom of speach and his post wasn't incrediblely vile nor was it completely far fetched. There are people out there who would indeed lie about something like this. NO I DO NOT THINK the .400 boys did, but it is possible that a group of other less scrupulis people would.

Well that is all I have to say on the topic, and I'm truely sorry to Gary and the Gang over at .400.

Druez, the simple fact is that some opinions are beyond decency. We all have weird thoughts or opinions every once in a while but most of us have enough self-control not to bring it to a public forum.

This is not a free speech issue but one of common decency. It's not OK to hurt people no matter what weapon you are wielding.

If he had kept the post to the "unreliability" of the game that was made we could have just had a good ol fashioned fanboy fight and be done with it.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:57 AM   #89
maximus
Banned

All I can say at this time is this;

If I was Joe...I would have said the same things. Right or not, I am human and so are all of you people (although some of you don't like to admit that). To many holyrollers....to many "Im better than you" naysayers that populate this board. And while there are some really good people on this forum who really give a shit about others, there are others that are bringing this board down. Here is the deal.....44Niners your an asshole. Let that be known.

In SkyDogs defense, bro you do a good job and even though I may have some issues with you before that doesn't change the fact that at least you try. Having said that, if you and Joe have issues with each other you to should talk privately and not on this forum because in this community......you both need each other. Thats a mistake I made once before when I called you out a few weeks ago.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:00 AM   #90
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok folks.. I think everyone's had a say.. can we let the topic drop now? I'm sure if the protagonists in this one have anything else to say, they can say it to each other, and just keep it on the down low, to use an old and trite phrase.

Not trying to be a topic police really, I just think everyone's said everything that needs to be said, and we're going over well trod ground at this point.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:02 AM   #91
Anthony
Banned

ugh, i just don't feel strongly enough on this issue to waste much energy on it. that's what i get for starting someting i didn't intend to finish.

people will tell you i've ripped into jim many times in the past. i'm an equal opportunity basher. don't be foolish and relate me with anything involving "fanboy-ism". that's a .400 trademark.

Stallings' posts rubbed me the wrong way, i responded in kind. i'll save the golden orbs of wisdom that are my posts for something i actually care about.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:03 AM   #92
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Suicane75
This thread should of been over 4 hours ago, and not because someone closed it, but because were all mature enough to know when to just drop it.

NUFF SAID RIGHT THERE...BUT YET ITS STILL GOING.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #93
Anthony
Banned

who cares. shit dies on its own eventually. obviously people still feel strongly enough to post about it or esle it would have died even after it was unlocked.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:16 AM   #94
hollmt
High School Varsity

whatever dude.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:21 AM   #95
maximus
Banned

As a backer of .400ss, I shouldn't be encouraging this post either. So, I won't any longer but I'll leave with this being said.

Definition of Human

Being bodies that learn language
thereby becoming wordlings
humans are
the symbol-making, symbol-using, symbol-misusing animal
inventor of the negative
separated from our natural condition
by instruments of our own making
goaded by the spirit of hierarchy
acquiring foreknowledge of death
and rotten with perfection

Human being may be defined as the humantrue life of the individual, lived according to her or his own supraconsciousness of fulfilled intellect, so that the co-operative being of humanity isthis undeniable humantrue awareness on the part of, and between, each and every individual, with no authority, meaning or faith above or beyond that. The human individual is a mind and body of the human species, led by the mind. Human being is being fully and truly human

We all screw up. We ALL do.

Last edited by maximus : 11-29-2003 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:28 AM   #97
The_herd
College Starter

All this thread is missing is Fritz, Subby, and some Midgets.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:30 AM   #98
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I cannot let you guys have the midgets until sometime Sunday afternoon. Sorry.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 11-29-2003, 01:38 AM   #99
WillyWTE
n00b

Edit -> my fear of beginning a new page in a thread has scared me away.

Willy

Last edited by WillyWTE : 11-29-2003 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:57 AM   #100
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
All this thread is missing is Fritz, Subby, and some Midgets.

and Freddy Adu
Closed Thread