Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2003, 10:16 PM   #51
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Man, I'm with you guys in salary cap hell. I'm leaning toward sucking it up for one more run in 2006 and then bite the bullet and start over. I'm the poster child for the Oakland Raiders right now. My average player age is a hair under 30 and I'm ass to the wall on cap space. I can get under the cap if I cap out everybody who will take the deal and maybe release one guy who won't take a cap out deal.

One of the contributions to my troubles has been spending in the FA market. I've been following my old FOF patterns by simplying signing my FA in the 20-stage process and moving on.

Has anybody tried to tackle FA through the second 8-stage process? I haven't studied it real close, but it would make sense that there would be some solid players there willing to take less than comparable players in the 20-stage FA. I've seen a few star players in the second FA step, but not as many as are available in the first wave.

I think that is going to be my next test. I want to see what I can mine out of the second wave of FA. Anybody tried it?

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:22 PM   #52
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I just had to trade CB Kevin Mathis, who has been my stud shut-down cover corner for the last four seasons, for a third-round draft choice in order to afford to both keep Vick and field a team in 2009.

I think I am now coming to the end of my most serious cap woes, though. For the first time, after my cap-outs and renegotiations entering free agency, I actually have less money used for next year's cap than this year's cap. Up to now, I've been $5M-$10M the cap for next year before signing a single FA or drafing anyone. I've got $24M to go before next year's cap used catches up with this year's cap. Maybe I can actually use the 20-step process again next season! (I wasn't able to use it at all in 2006-2008, and have only $2M budgeted to use this year.)

I'm heading to bed now, but hopefully I can get to 2010 before I have to start being productive tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:00 PM   #53
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Finally! In 2011 my wuss QB managed to fight through 3 different injuries to play 12 games and all of the playoffs. Most important, we're now 4-0 against my ex-QB who signed with divisional rival Miami.

Well, we won out, and took the Super... er... Front Office Bowl title! I didn't exactly wow myself when I took over some play-calling late in the game, but SkyDog would have been proud with my dedication to the run (and running out the clock). My 3rd year running back proved to be worth the mega-deal I made to get him 2 seasons earlier, as he cranked it up a notch in the playoffs. He had better, I sent the #25 & #29 first rounders in 2009, my 2010, and 2011 first rounders (4 first round picks total) in exchange for the #3 overall pick (my RB) and a 2010 first rounder. Ironically, the deal was with Oakland, who I stomped in the AFC title game on my way to glory. I guess the trade was worth it after all.

EDIT: and most bittersweet of all was the fact that we won in our last season in New Jersey, we're now off to the land of fake tits and wanna-be actors: Los Angeles, California. I was getting killed finanically in the NYC area, so I hope Hollywood can finally support an NFL team.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-18-2003 at 11:01 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #54
oykib
College Starter

I've just joined the club. I've got the Jets.

Won the Bowl in 2005. Had my starting QB go down for eight games in '06 and just missed the playoffs at 9-7 (tie-breaker).

Now I've got 36 players under contract and I'm $180,000 over the cap.

By the way, I've got two first-rounders this year, including #1 overall.

In '04 I was drafting around 18 and traded up to #10 to take the #2 ranked QB on the board. He was actually tied with another guy. I had trouble deciding. The tie breaker was that the guy I took hd a 4.36 40.

In round two, the other guy was still available. I took him because my first rounder had a moderately high volatility and this guy had a six. I figured that I could deal one of them for another first round pick if they both panned out.

Last year, I dealt my second-rounder to New England, which was 2-14 the previous year, for their first round pick. He was still about 70% green. He still led them to a 4-12 record, a big improvement for that lousy squad. But 4-12 was the worst record in the league.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:06 PM   #55
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've had my own experience in cap hell recently, starting several seasons 15 mil over the cap.

2014 rolls around, and some mass retirements have me in a position where, in 2015, I expect to be almost 40 million under the cap with 45 guys under contract. Unfortunately, most of the real talent has retired, so we'll have a 1-15 team just in time for our new stadium.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:10 PM   #56
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm finally at a stopping point on my project and will finally get into practicing with FOF5 (or whatever you like to call it). I personally want to experience salary cap hell for the fun of it.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #57
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
I'm finally at a stopping point on my project and will finally get into practicing with FOF5 (or whatever you like to call it). I personally want to experience salary cap hell for the fun of it.
It is a very simple process:

1. Set out to build a team that wins ASAP.
2. Use cap out offers and renegotiations to afford to sign free agents so that goal #1 can be achieved.
3. Watch team win, or come close to winning, the Front Office Bowl.
4. Play a few more seasons. Welcome to cap hell.

Once step four is achieved, at least one of two things will happen:

a. cutting/trading away guys you never wanted to part with
b. starting rookie undrafted free agents in multiple positions

Enjoy!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:28 PM   #58
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm finally feeling the pain..

It is now 2007 in my season, and despite several valiant attempts we have not won the Superbowl. Now, I'm at the very limit of the cap and I only have 41 guys signed. Even worse, I want to keep Dawkins since he didn't retire as I thought he might (he is in his 12th year and is still highly skilled.) Now, I have to risk letting a career long valiant Eagle go to another team I'm also likely to lose Hank Fraley who has developed in a very good center. Not to mention, I don't know what I'm going to do during the season if I have injuries as after the draft I will only have 48 guys under contract. There are so many players I want to keep that I haven't even mentioned, but saying goodbye to Dawkins is going to be the hardest. Or do I cap out a bunch of offers and delay this pain for another year. However, I'm not sure I could even create enough space to sign Dawkins.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 05:43 AM   #59
Ben E Lou

Re: I'm finally feeling the pain..

Quote:
Originally posted by Eaglesfan27
It is now 2007 in my season, and despite several valiant attempts we have not won the Superbowl. Now, I'm at the very limit of the cap and I only have 41 guys signed. Even worse, I want to keep Dawkins since he didn't retire as I thought he might (he is in his 12th year and is still highly skilled.) Now, I have to risk letting a career long valiant Eagle go to another team I'm also likely to lose Hank Fraley who has developed in a very good center. Not to mention, I don't know what I'm going to do during the season if I have injuries as after the draft I will only have 48 guys under contract. There are so many players I want to keep that I haven't even mentioned, but saying goodbye to Dawkins is going to be the hardest. Or do I cap out a bunch of offers and delay this pain for another year. However, I'm not sure I could even create enough space to sign Dawkins.
I see you followed my steps closely.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 AM   #60
Subby
lolzcat

I would be interested to see if anyone is using a management strategy simialr to the Philadelphia Eagles...not giving long-term contracts to anyone over 30, not spending big on WR and RB...

Is anyone able to be competitive year after year?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:47 AM   #61
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
I might be getting close. I've had a nice 6-year run now:
Code:
Front Office Football 2004 GM Performance for Ben Lewis of the Atlanta Falcons Year Team Eval Perf Diff Proft FrVal Record Playoffs 2021 ATL 66 86 71 46 100 12-5-0 Division Final 2020 ATL 86 95 71 80 100 13-7-0 Conference Champion 2019 ATL 58 95 70 25 100 14-5-0 Conference Champion 2018 ATL 50 90 70 10 100 15-3-0 Conference Final 2017 ATL 79 100 70 67 88 17-2-0 Bowl Winner 2016 ATL 96 100 70 100 89 14-6-0 Bowl Winner 2015 ATL 37 10 68 32 99 5-11-0 None 2014 ATL 69 81 68 55 100 12-6-0 Conference Final 2013 ATL 84 100 69 73 100 17-2-0 Bowl Winner 2012 ATL 67 60 77 67 76 12-7-0 Conference Final 2011 ATL 49 22 77 54 78 7-9-0 None 2010 ATL 74 74 76 74 79 12-7-0 Conference Final 2009 ATL 50 52 75 44 55 9-7-0 None 2008 ATL 59 72 75 49 63 10-8-0 Division Final 2007 ATL 68 81 76 62 64 13-5-0 Division Final 2006 ATL 66 90 78 52 63 14-3-0 Division Final 2005 ATL 50 57 75 42 57 9-8-0 Wild Card Round 2004 ATL 54 66 75 45 52 12-5-0 Wild Card Round 2003 ATL 58 40 74 69 51 7-8-1 None
Old 12-04-2003, 08:25 AM   #62
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

I make the playoffs nearly every season (probably 13 of the last 15 years).

I definitely take a Philly approach to things, I refuse to overpay for marginal talent, and prefer depth to outright stars. I also lock up my solid players to very long term deals when I'm going to want them around for a while. I would say I return at least 40 players from year to year.

EDIT: adding the following:

This pretty much jives with my theory on how NFL teams should manage things (as the Eagles do). You have to make the playoffs in order to win a Super Bowl. Your goal should be to build a team which can seriously compete year after year.

I've been saying this for the last year, but I think we can expect to see Philly in the final 4 of the NFC for a long time, and I think they'll be brining home a title pretty soon (perhaps even this year). They don't overpay, and always seem to have 5 contingency plans when they lose someone they would have liked to keep. Once teams realize this is more intelligent than the "build up/tear down" model of management, I think you'll see more teams adopt it. This would probably in turn slow down the FA market, and keep more players on their original teams for longer periods of time.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 12-04-2003 at 08:31 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:09 AM   #63
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
I would be interested to see if anyone is using a management strategy simialr to the Philadelphia Eagles...not giving long-term contracts to anyone over 30, not spending big on WR and RB...

I'm not very familiar with the Eagles' philosophy, but on the specific points you mentioned, I'm not averse to giving a long-term contract to an older player, but it depends on the player, how good he is, how much I expect him to decline, etc. And in regards to RBs and WRs, again I make exceptions, but I tend to use the RB and WR by committee philosophy.

So far I've been fairly competitive; most all of my seasons have been in the 8-12 win range. That's good enough for me.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:09 PM   #64
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have been competitive every year and may have been more competitive if I just let a few guys go, but rather then give up on Dawkins and Pinkston I let sentiment take over Perhaps I made a very dumb roster move (I'm almost sure I have) but I capped out 3 guys to fit Dawkins and Pinkston back on the roster, but I did let Fraley go as I had a good center waiting in the wings. I'm taking one (two?) last shot(s) at the superbowl with the guys I've grown loyal to in the game. Hopefully, we win it this year as I will be in even worse cap trouble soon.

Interesting side thought, would I have been this loyal to a computer generated player who had been with the team for 8 years as Pinkston has and 12 years as Dawkins has? Am I being loyal to what they have done in the game (which has been impressive in the last two years) or am I being loyal to my sentiment of what they do in the real NFL? I think it is a partially both. I'm definitely attached to Dawkins as an Eagle in real life as he has been a major piece of their secondary for quite a few years and he is a heck of a player. As for Pinkston, despite being rated 38 overall, he led the electronic NFL on my computer with catches, that and his loyalty to the team were the reason I kept him. Also of note, despite leading the NFL in catches last year, Pinkston's ratings kept him from making big money. No one offered him more then 1.5 million a year in free agency, and I signed him for 1.3 million a year with a modest signing salary (total cap number of approximately 1.5 million a year.)

Anyway, back to work, my little break with FOF has to end for now.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:17 PM   #65
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

sort of....

And I am 34-6 against the Redskins... my mission is complete.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 12-04-2003 at 05:19 PM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:10 PM   #66
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, I still didn't win the Super Bowl and now I have 29 players under contract and only 12 million in cap space . Furthermore, I'm will be compelled to let Jerome McDougle a 80/80 Defensive End only in his 6th year (but somewhat injury prone having missed almost all of 2 different seasons including his contract year) likely walk as I doubt I will be able to afford his demands and get 46 guys under contract.

Let's see how far my team falls

I really do love this game though

Edited to add: I just realized all of my running backs including my stud second round pick from a few years ago have ended their contract this year! Jimmy Anthony wants 5 million a year to come back. Bye Jimmy

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-07-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:25 PM   #67
Ben E Lou

Man....I just managed to get myself in the worst cap hell I've seen so far. I am at the beginning of 2024, and AFTER I've already done the "easy" renegotiations with players who'll accept more money, which usually gets me somewhere near the cap, I am an astonishing $29.8M over the cap. What is worse, is that my starting QB (the guy who was Vick's successor and has 2 Super Bowl MVP's) had ACL Knee Surgery, and his ratings have dropped to 44/44. He's signed another year after this one, and he's still injured, so he's just sitting there taking up $17M in cap room, and I can't get a renegotiation worth anything with him. I'm in BIG trouble this season.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:28 PM   #68
Easy Mac

I had to let my QB go. He was the reigning league MVP. He wanted 9 million in year one, and it progressed to 25 million by year 6... I just couldn't afford that. I suffered the next year and got another QB who is now quickly improving his potential.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:11 PM   #69
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

I spent years building my 49ers team and decided that I had one last year before I had to destroy. I took my team to a record of 12-4 mainly because my defense slipped from number 4 in the league the year before to number 18 with the same personel. We were second in our division because the Rams signed Hasselback to join a 11-5 team the year before. Hasselback was a 81/81 a vast inprovement over Warner who was a 41/41. In the playoffs this happens...
Possession to Atlanta.

1-10-ATL27 (02:17) ATL 45 Duckett ran outside the right tackle for 0 yards.
Tackled by SFO 36 Webster, assisted by SFO 91 Adams.

Offical time out for the two-minute warning.

2-10-ATL27 (02:00) ATL 7 Vick pass fell incomplete, intended for 81 Price.
SFO 95 Engelberger hurried the quarterback into a bad throw.
Penalty: ATL - Offensive Holding.

2-20-ATL17 (01:48) ATL 7 Vick pass fell incomplete, intended for 87 Kennison.
SFO 31 Bronson defended the pass.

3-20-ATL17 (01:39) ATL 7 Vick pass fell incomplete, intended for 81 Price.
SFO 95 Engelberger hurried the quarterback into a bad throw.

4-20-ATL17 (01:31) ATL 7 Vick pass completed to 83 Crumpler for 83 yards and a touchdown!
Extra point by ATL 4 Feely was good.

Score: Atlanta 21, San Francisco 16.

the next year i found myself with 36 players still under contract and an amazing 31 million dollars over the cap, I ended up with 17 picks that year in the draft b/c of trades.....to bad only 4 in the first 4 rounds and 2 in the fifth.....
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:15 PM   #70
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Troll
4-20-ATL17 (01:31) ATL 7 Vick pass completed to 83 Crumpler for 83 yards and a touchdown!
Extra point by ATL 4 Feely was good.

I think it was in '79 or '80 when Bartkowski hit Alfred Jackson (I think) on a 60ish yard TD pass to win a game with less than a minute to go on 4th and about 12 against the Rams
Old 12-09-2003, 06:44 PM   #71
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

This just in!!! It's 2012 and the Patriots are in cap hell!!!

One word how it happened: retirements...

2003-2009, built a pretty competitive football team, starting out of the preference draft. Tough first two seasons due to too much emphasis put on potential vs experience, but had many good season, always falling short of even going to the Super Bowl. Cap status was always close to be over, but always under control... Had to let go some big players (a DE we had drafted 3rd overall) not to go over the cap, but overall pretty much in control
2010, we won the Super Bowl, nice season (12-4) QB is the all everything...
2011, not many players lost, still a pretty good core of players, thinking we can make another run at it. A flurry of injuries and some lack of depth forcd us to a 0-6 start, finished the season 7-9, missed the season...
2012, I pressed the "end season" thinking I'd be in pretty much the same shape as before, when I go to my roster screen and see this:
Room Under Cap ($7,730,000)
Max for New Player ($14,020,000)

I go "WTF!!!" and take a look at the transaction list. Yep here's the culprit, one of my long time starting WR, in whom I had quite a bit of bonus money tied up semi-longterm, retired... Him and a linebacker I had just signed in 2011, to a 2 or 3 year deal (can't remember...

It's not as bad as some of you, but was kind of unexpected as I thought I had it under control...

I have 39 players under contract right now, some of them will be renegotiated, some of them will be cut. With 39, there's still some room to maneuver...

The worst in all this is my star DE, who was a 71/71, had ACL knee surgery last season and he is now showing a nice adjusted rating of 49/49, 10 seasons into his career. Cap cost in 2012: $12 million. Cut him? I CAN NOT!!! at least not yet, as he is still injured and will be full strength in 2 weeks... He's offering me a ncie possibility of renegotiation though, so that may be the way I go...

Have I told you I love this game?

FM
Old 12-10-2003, 08:16 AM   #72
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Man....I just managed to get myself in the worst cap hell I've seen so far. I am at the beginning of 2024, and AFTER I've already done the "easy" renegotiations with players who'll accept more money, which usually gets me somewhere near the cap, I am an astonishing $29.8M over the cap. What is worse, is that my starting QB (the guy who was Vick's successor and has 2 Super Bowl MVP's) had ACL Knee Surgery, and his ratings have dropped to 44/44. He's signed another year after this one, and he's still injured, so he's just sitting there taking up $17M in cap room, and I can't get a renegotiation worth anything with him. I'm in BIG trouble this season.
The result of this?

6-10.

I LOVE this game! I love the fact that, with using minimal house rules, a major QB injury at the wrong times sends me spiraling to 6-10 and forcing me to rebuild.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:57 AM   #73
Ben E Lou

Dola--

And now I've got to make another decision. The QB who got hurt is signed for for several more seasons, for a lot of money. I guess I'm going to cut him, take the cap hit, and know that in two more years I'll be able to make a run at some free agents, but that I'll probably have two more losing seasons (since I wont' be able to make any big FA signings) unless I get a bunch of young guys playing very well.