Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2003, 12:39 PM   #51
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Great read!

A question...have you had a player with high votality work out for you yet?

Good question. Let me check the volatility of the current draftees that panned out well, or as expected.

TE Curtis, our star, 75 volatility. He turned out really well, he's our star, and best overall player.

OLB Randall Snyder has a volatility of 33 and he didn't turn our as well as we'd hoped. But the ILB we passed on with a volatility of 70 or so turned out very mucha well.

RG Casey Matthews looks like a regular starter after he finishes developing and he only had a volatility of 24.

TE Artie was a bust and he had a volatility of 66.

QB Rick Gullett was a bit better than advertised, vol of 73.

RB Mickey Baggette was a bit of a bust - vol of 24.

I released Pat Larrabee, our second round selection from last year, due to his bust-ness. He had a volatility of just 5.

So, if you see a pattern there, let me know. Yeah, it s a small sample size, but I'm thinking of ignoring volatility until I understand it more.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:40 PM   #52
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by GoSeahawks
I thought you would have an edge this year in the second half. 5 of your last 7 games were at home.

I would have hoped. I think we need just a bit more depth. Then we won't have as much of a dropoff in the second half.

-Anxiety

Old 11-19-2003, 09:15 PM   #53
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let's look at some interesting info:

Awards:

Defensive Rookie of the Year - SLB Randall Snyder

All-League First String OT L.J. Shelton

Stats:

QB Drew Brees, 14 starts, 3130 yards, 25 TDs, 13 Ints. 55.8% completion rate. 1 Rush TD

Has Drew turned the corner? Almost double the TDs to picks, but a low completion percentage is highly questionable. We'll see how he does next year, in his contract year.

RB LaDainian Tomlinson, 261 carries for 1017 yards, 2 TDs, 36 catches for 268 yards, 5 TDs

LT has becoming a receiving threat, but for the second time in three years he has a really low rushing TD stat. Take a look at his competetion:

RB Amos Zereoue, 99 carries for 384 yards, 4 rush TDs.

Amos breaks free more often than LT. So LT will continue to be spelled by a quick pacy back. And he may cost too much for us to do that.

WR David Boston, 60 catches for 916 yards, 6 TDs.

Not a great season, but he is still our team receiving leader. Drew spreads the ball around a lot, as you'll see.

TE Chester Curtis, 53 catches for 656 yards, 4 TDs.

Our second leader on the team in both receptions and yards is TE Curtis. He has broken out this year, and his stats are already all red. Chester Curtis is our superstar in the making.

WR Reche Caldwell, 47 catches, 620 yards, 4 TDs
WR Tim Dwight, 29 catches for 434 yards, 2 TDs
WR Dez White, 27 grabs, 433 yards, 5 TDs. 1 KR TD.

Here are our other receivers that did well. Dez was a receiving machine from the four spot. He was a great late pickup for us.

K Roman Perkins, 21 of 29, 1 missed XAP

Roman is good, but he needs to get better statistically. He's maxed out already.

S Kwamie Lassiter, 93 tackles, 36 assts, 1.5 sacks, 3 Ints, 2 Int TDs, 9 PasDef, 3 FF, 2 FumRec

Kwamie continues to play at the highest level of the game. He leads our team in tackles yet again, and simply is a factor to be considered every play.

OLB Randall Snyder, 92 tacks, 22 Assts, 1.5 sacks, 3 Ints, 7 PasDef, 3 FF

Randall had a good enough rookie year. He needs to continue to grow and develop. Had a good year too with RoY honors on the defensive side of the ball.

ILB Eric Stephens, 83 tacks, 34 assts, 0.5 sacks, 1 Int, 8 PasDef, 2 FF, 2 FumRec

Eric overperformed this past year, and I cannot continue to expect this sort of solid but unspectacular performance from my middle linebacker.

WLB Donnie Edwards, 68 tacks, 16 assts, 2.5 sacks, 1 Int, 9 PasDef, 2 FF

Moving Donnie to the weak side, his natural position, has seriously impaired his stats. We may look to change that next year. Possibly.

DE Shaun Ellis, 47 tacks, 11 assts, 9 sacks

Playing out of position, Shaun led our team in sacks. The next highest was 5.5 sacks by Marcellus. Our sack total was significantly lower across the board.

A few other highlights. Dale Carter led the team with four picks and played very well. Keion Carpenter had 3 Ints, and like I mentioned earlier, our defense just didn't put up the stats.

T L.J. Shelton, 37 KRB, 7 SkA

My best o-lineman.

-Anxiety

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-19-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #54
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The playoffs:

Wild Card:

Panthers at Skins, 21-27
Broncos at Titans, 23-30
Dolphins at Patriots, 20-23
Seahawks at Saints, 31-27

Divisional Round:

Patriots at Bengals, 24-21
Seahawks at Rams, 22-24
Titans at Chiefs, 23-17
Redskins at Lions, 13-21

Championship Round:

Patriots at Titans, 6-10

Lions at Rams, 3-34

Super Bowl:

St. Louis Rams

vs.

Tenessee Titans

Rams 31

Titans 20

-Anxiety

Old 11-19-2003, 10:13 PM   #55
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Final Score:

Team Performance 28
Franchise Value 57
Profit/Loss 68
Roster Strength 91

Overall 56

The salary cap has risen to 91.5 million

2005 Balance Sheet:

Revenues 66.73 mill
Expenses 110.82 mill

Profit (44.09 mill)

Franchise value has continued to fall behind the other franchises in the league.

The stadium rating worsens.

Fan Support has plummeted and is now the worst in the league.

The St. Louis economy has gotten worse than San Diego's. Barely.

Attendance last year was down to 44,000 - 61.4% of capacity. Worst in the league by far.

Sand Diego's growth has worsened to -0.6%. The economy is crashing around us while our fan support drops. That's problems.

-Anxiety

Old 11-19-2003, 10:30 PM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Super Bowl:

St. Louis Rams

vs.

Tenessee Titans

Rams 31

Titans 20

GO RAMS!

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 11-19-2003 at 10:30 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:40 PM   #57
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I submit a Stadium Proposal for a completely new stadium here in San Diego for no personal money. If they refuse, we can try to relocate again, if they accept, then we get a new stadium cash free. Win-win either way.

I leave our ticket prices alone.

We are 11.3 under the cap for this year. Time to axe....er....act!

-Anxiety

Old 11-19-2003, 11:57 PM   #58
Archer219
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
Your 2004 NFL Champs - The Cincinnati Bengals

You know, a couple of weeks ago I would have laughed a lot harder at this than I did.
Or I can be the source of your desperation.
Archer219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:11 AM   #59
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Archer219
You know, a couple of weeks ago I would have laughed a lot harder at this than I did.

I know, so true. So true.

-Anxiety

Old 11-21-2003, 01:55 AM   #60
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Heading into free agency, I have a few high profile free agents. And some money I have to cut. Here are my peops that started for me that I have to re-up or replace:

LaDainian Tomlinson
Lorenzo Neal
Kwamie Lassiter
Toniu Fonoti

I don't have the money to franchise LT or Toniu. Kwamie is the third ranked available safety while Lorenzo is the best FB around. SO I slap the tag on Neal and hope to resign Kwamie.

After franchising Lorenzo, I only have 9.43 in cap room available. Time to cut, slash, extend, etcetera.

I extend the contracts of several players in order to make cap room:

C Barret Robbins
RDT Jason Fisk
FS Keion Carpenter

I capout Marcellus Wiley which actually cuts a year off the deal and reduces our cap cost in every year. Interesting.

We now have 15 million in space.

We need the following starters. A question mark denotes a position that we could conceivably use a current backup in:

RB?
SE?
LG?
RT
P
RDT?
MLB?
RCB?
SS

I make an offer to Kwamie for his services. Other than that, I wait to see how the big boys spend.

LT signs in the first week to Washington for 139 million over 7 years.

After running the math, I can't persue Toniu. I could get him under this year's contract, but future years are just too painful.

I submit a cheap offer to LG Kenyatta Jones. We'll see that goes.

In week 3, Kwamie signs with us, but Kenyatta chooses the Rams. Reche Caldwell has been bid upon by the Colts for a much cheaper price than he was initially asking for from us. I make a counter-offer.

I submit another fairly cheap offer to LG Mike Compton.

Three weeks later, Reche signs back with us, Mike's offer is still pending.

In the tenth week, Mike signs for less to go to Houston.

I submit offers to P Chris Hanson and LG Ruben Brown.

Both sign two weeks later. I decide to skip the rest of free agency. To recap, we signed:

SE Reche Caldwell
LG Ruben Brown
P Chris Hanson
SS Kwamie Lassiter

We have 10.1 mill left for the draft...

Until week 15 hits and I browse the best of the rest list and see Jerry Porter and Mike Logan available. I make an offer to both.

Jerry signs with Indianapolis but we get Mike Logan. I immediately release SS Stanley Blaine, who wasn't doing it for me as Kwamie's backup.

We now have 9.7 mill left and the draft awaits.

-Anxiety

Old 11-21-2003, 02:51 AM   #61
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We have the 11th pick in the draft. Hopefully we can get an impact player as good as Chester Curtis when we last picked from this spot.

Here is our total list of needs:

RB
FB
C
G
LT
RT*
RDE x 2
RDT
LDT
SLB
WLB
CB

The star designates a strong need for a starter.

My quick assessment of the studs of the draft. We have a stud stud at DT. A brokenly good stud at FS. Add another FS, SS, DE, TE, LG, DT, WLB, C, MLB, SE and LG.

Let's see what happens:

Both of the good offensive tackles have been taken by pick 11. By our scout's estimate, the best player on the board is a SS followed by a FS.

We could use a star split end.... Despite signing stopgap measure Ruben Brown, there's a really nice LG there. We could use an upgrade at the FS position, despite resigning Keion for another year.

There's a later first round quality RT. Do I dare pass up possible future stars for a decent starter now?

I am building a franchise, not a rag-tag crew. I decide to take one of the best players available:

SE Norman Ayi, from Valparaiso

In the second, I draft DT Bert Poston as a possible future starter and depth. From Illinois.

I take RT Reuben Poulin from Virginia Tech in the late second, in the pick we received from a previous trade. If he pans out, he could start for me.

The third sees WLB Amos Schulz from Pitt coming to town.

In the fourth, I like RCB Lewis Douglas, from UCLA. We need youth in the secondary and most of our current corners are scheduled to leave at the end of this year.

The fifth round arrives and brings with it C Archie Austin from Washington.

In the sixth, I like RDE Carlton Martin from Mississippi State.

In the seventh, I gamble on a second RT. Never know when somebody will pan out. I take Darrin Holliday from Texas A&M.

After the draft, I am informed that our stadium issue failed considerably despite the fact that we reduced costs from the previous issue that San Diego voted upon.

Ah well.

-Anxiety

Old 11-21-2003, 03:18 AM   #62
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The second period of free agency begins.

Every rookie but SE Ayi signs in the first go around.

We have 6.2 mill left under the cap.

I sign restricted free agents Andrew Pinnock and Matt Wilhelm to two year deals for the league minimum.

I sign the following undrafted free agents:

RB Britt Clark
RB Calvin Perry
RDT Julio Glaze
LG Pepper Jack Ralph

I take my team into camp with Ayi in tow who signed just before it began. I am 1.56 mill under the cap.

We use the training camp default schedule.

Let's take a look at how our rookies fared:

Norman Ayi looks great. Definately a future star.

RDT Bert Posten looks like a poor second round selection.

RT Reuben Pollin might grow into an acceptable starter, but he's a bit green.

WLB Amos Schulz looks good against the run someday. He'll be buried in the depth chart for a while.

RCB Lewis Douglas is likewise very green but could be a nickelback or decent starter later on in his career. Good for the fourth round.

C Archie Austin looks like he has pass blocking machine material someday.

RDE Carlton Martin looks pretty poor, even for a sixth rounder.

RT Darrin Holliday, my seventh round flyer, has great strength but poor skills.

None of the undrafted rookies look that good.

All of our leaders this year are the same as last year, except Jamar Fletcher is now our secondary leader.

Norman Ayi is near the top of the Green Page.

We received a B+ draft grade this year.

We sold 21,700 season tickets.

-Anxiety

Old 11-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #63
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Post camp, I cut Tim Dwight. Don't want his salary on my cap if I don't need it, and he has moved way down the depth chart.

I sign:

RDE Kenny Smith, 1 year for 550k

I deactivate:

RB Mickey Bagette
FB Andrew Pinnock
TE Artie Vanderhaak
RT Darrin McKnight
RDE Carlton Martin
WLB Amos Schultz
RCB Lewis Douglas

-Anxiety

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-22-2003 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:05 PM   #64
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Injury Setting has been bumped up 10. It will continue to escalate each year.

This year's roster:

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 San Diego Chargers Roster, Scout Overview Player # Pos Start Exp Current Estimate Future Estimate Cntrct Brees, Drew 9 QB QB 6 52 55 1 yr. Gullett, Rick 11 QB 2 19 39 2 yrs Long, Thomas 7 QB 3 17 25 1 yr. Zereoue, Amos 27 RB RB 8 45 46 1 yr. Clark, Britt 21 RB 1 32 38 1 yr. Parry, Calvin 37 RB 1 29 33 1 yr. ##Bagette, Mickey 31 RB 3 19 25 1 yr. Neal, Lorenzo 41 FB FB 13 66 66 1 yr. ##Pinnock, Andrew 30 FB 4 44 62 2 yrs Curtis, Chester 83 TE TE 3 84 84 3 yrs Goodwin, Hunter 14 TE 11 32 32 1 yr. ##Vanderhaak, Artie 84 TE 2 28 47 3 yrs Boston, David 89 FL FL 8 63 63 2 yrs White, Dez 18 FL 7 44 44 1 yr. Williams, Karl 88 FL 11 40 40 1 yr. Caldwell, Reche 82 SE 5 51 51 2 yrs Ayi, Norman 80 SE SE 1 44 71 5 yrs Robbins, Barret 57 C C 12 63 65 3 yrs Austin, Archie 52 C 1 15 46 3 yrs Brown, Ruben 64 LG LG 12 49 49 2 yrs Waters, Brian 67 LG 7 46 50 1 yr. Ralph, Pepper Jack 60 LG 1 19 32 1 yr. Matthews, Casey 65 RG RG 2 34 65 3 yrs Shelton, L.J. 69 LT LT 8 73 73 2 yrs Holliday, Darrin 62 RT RT 1 21 44 3 yrs Poulin, Reuben 61 RT 1 13 51 4 yrs ##McKnight, Darrin 66 RT 2 7 34 2 yrs Hanson, Chris 1 P 6 52 52 5 yrs Perkins, Roman 6 K 3 47 47 2 yrs Wiley, Marcellus 75 LDE LDE 10 62 62 2 yrs Ellis, Shaun 78 LDE RDE 7 60 60 2 yrs Smith, Kenny 93 RDE 4 19 38 1 yr. ##Martin, Carlton 95 RDE 1 16 38 3 yrs Williams, Jamal 76 LDT LDT 9 52 52 5 yrs Fisk, Jason 92 RDT RDT 12 40 40 2 yrs Poston, Bert 94 RDT 1 23 45 4 yrs Glaze, Julio 98 RDT 1 22 29 1 yr. Stephens, Eric 91 MLB MLB 2 30 44 3 yrs Alstatt, Leslie 58 MLB 3 27 32 2 yrs Snyder, Randall 90 SLB SLB 2 54 67 4 yrs Edwards, Donnie 59 WLB WLB 11 64 64 2 yrs Wilhelm, Matt 56 WLB 4 34 49 2 yrs ##Schulz, Amos 53 WLB 1 15 47 4 yrs Jammer, Quentin 23 LCB LCB 5 65 65 1 yr. Florence, Drayton 29 LCB 4 27 34 1 yr. Fletcher, Jamar 46 RCB RCB 6 45 52 1 yr. Davis, Sammy 22 RCB 4 37 38 1 yr. Lucas, Ken 20 RCB 6 33 35 1 yr. ##Douglas, Lewis 28 RCB 1 14 47 4 yrs Lassiter, Kwamie 42 SS SS 12 67 67 3 yrs Logan, Mike 44 SS 9 50 51 2 yrs Carpenter, Keion 43 FS FS 8 60 60 2 yrs Kiel, Terrence 48 FS 4 51 56 1 yr. $$ - player is in starting lineup, ## - player is inactive. Players Under Contract: 53 On Active Roster: 46 Salary Cap: $91,500,000 Cap Room: $2,010,000 Maximum for New Player: $2,290,000 Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $2,810,000 Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $300,000 Cap Room Required Next Year: $75,860,000

Some rosters have two Davids, two Jamals, two Shawns. I have two Amoses. Amos's? Ami?

I also have two Darrins. And they are both playing the exact same position. Memories of Bewitched run through my mind.

-Anxiety

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-22-2003 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:35 PM   #65
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I extend Amos Zereoue's contract by a year. Just in case.

An analysis:

QB Drew Brees - Has possibly turned the corner last year. We'll see how he progresses, but physically, he is not a good QB. However, he seems to get things done on the field.

RB Amos Zereoue - Amos will get a chance to start for us. His stats last year were virtually identical to LT's when he was in, so I hope that he'll do just as well.

FB Lorenzo Neal - Our franchise tagged player. I'll look to sign him to a longer contract in a bit.

TE Chester Curtis - Our shining star.

FL David Boston - Obviously, a strong, well-rounded receiver who's only weakness is that he drops the occasional ball.

SE Norman Ayi - Another high profile first round selection designed to help the passing game. Norman is a bit raw, but he'll develop into a fine receiver. Maybe one of the best.

C Barret Robbins - We lucked out in a trade offered by another team to get Barret. He's a fine starting center and I'm happy to have him.

LG Ruben Brown - A bit of a spot gap measure. Obviously, Ruben has had a very high profile career from his Pro Bowl years in Buffalo. Ruben has degenerated a bit and is now simply adequate. Sitting between L.J. and Barret, Ruben is the weak link in the strong side of our line, but he'll only be called upon to clean up after the big guys.

RG Casey Matthews - Our rookie from last year, Casey continues to start for us.

LT L.J. Shelton - Our best o-lineman and second highest cap count player on the team. L.J. still massages opposing defenses with cream from Bath and Body Works instead of pushing them with his strength.

RT Darrin Holliday - A really bad, crappy o-lineman who would be barely acceptable if he were developed. The obvious weak spot on the line.

K Roman Perkins - A perfectly acceptable kicker who lacks accuracy.

P Chris Hanson - A perfectly acceptable punter with no weaknesses but no particular strength either.

LDE Marcellus Wiley - Our stud defensive line player and the highest cap cost for any of our players. Needs to prove that last year's dismal statistical performance was a blimp and not the slide that occurs at the end of a player's career.

RDE Shaun Ellis - A natural Left End playing out of position, led the team in sacks last year. Run defense is his only weakness, but like many players on my team, doesn't have any particular strength.

LDT Jamal Williams - My longtime starter because he has never been bad enough to replace, but yet never good enough to acknowledge. He's just a guy who gets things done.

RDT Jason Fisk - The pass rushing specialist DT with the poor run stopping ability.

MLB Eric Stephens - The weakest of our starting linebackers. WIll need replaced sooner or later.

SLB Randall Snyder - Last year's defensive rookie of the year and a former first round selection. He's good, but not great.

WLB Donnie Edwards - Donnie moved to the weak side and lost a lot of production. He's a natural weakside backer, so we'll see how things go this year.

LCB Quentin Jammer - I don't call his name out much. His stats are acceptable, and his ability is acceptable, but there is nothing sterling here.

RCB Jamar Fletcher - A bit worse than I would normally like my starting corner to be, but he is a free agency patch, not a long term solution.

SS Kwamie Lassiter - The heart of my defense. I can have a weaker middle linebacker, because Kwamie will cover and tackle. Kwamie is our best performer over the past few years and often leads the team in tackles.

FS Keion Carpenter - A good man defense safety and a great man-to-man cover specialist. Poor at zones or reading the field.

-Anxiety

Old 11-22-2003, 08:46 PM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our Schedule:

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 San Diego Chargers 2006 Regular Season Schedule Week Opponent Result Attendance Weather Week 1 at Oakland Raiders W, 19-17 54,400 Rain, 71 Week 2 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS Week 3 at Jacksonville Jaguars Week 4 at Pittsburgh Steelers Week 5 OPEN Week 6 at Baltimore Ravens Week 7 CLEVELAND BROWNS Week 8 at Denver Broncos Week 9 OAKLAND RAIDERS Week 10 CINCINNATI BENGALS Week 11 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS Week 12 at St. Louis Rams Week 13 NEW JERSEY JETS Week 14 at San Francisco 49ers Week 15 DENVER BRONCOS Week 16 ARIZONA CARDINALS Week 17 at Kansas City Chiefs Home Games in ALL CAPS Season Tickets Sold: 21,700 Stadium Capacity: 71,600

It's a bit belated, the first week was already played and then I realized that I forgot to post it. Anyways, let's pretend that the outcome'll be a surprise when you read it in a bit.

-Anxiety

Old 11-22-2003, 09:03 PM   #67
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Week 1 -

We emerge from preseason with a 3-1 record and onl two injuries of any significane. Donnie Edwards is probable and RDE Kenny Smith had a severe hammy pull. He's out for at least 4 months, so I place him on IR. I sign undrafted rookie Quentin Ripkin, giving me two Quentins on my roster. Two Amos and two Quentin. It's like I have the entire British Isles on my roster.

We edge Oakland 19-17. SURPRISE! Anyway, Brees tossed a strike to Boston, rushed for a TD (Drew rushed? After Byron Leftwich, Drew has to be the most immobile QB in the NFL. It's like he's a mobile tennis ball throwing machine.), and Zereous added another ground score. Perkins missed an XP and our coach went for two later and failed.

Brees is the Game MVP, although Zereoue rushed for 138 yards and a TD. Rookie Norman Ayi caught five passes in his debut. Randall Snyder forced a fumble and picked a interception. Marcellus had a sack and a half. Zereous gets my game ball.

Week 2 -

Seattle edges us in the following week 17-16. Three Perkins FGs and a Chester Curtis TD with eight receptions as well. He gets my game ball. Fisk with 2.5 sacks and a fumble recovered was close.

WLB Donnie Edwards will be out for a few weeks. Matt Wilhelm will start and Amos Schulz will be activated as a backup.

Week 3 -

Jacksonville pounds us 34-20. Brees connects with Reche, Karl Williams returns a kickoff for a TD. Jamar Fletcher gets my game ball for picking off Leftwich twice.

Week 4 -

We march into Pittsburgh and crush the Steelers 30-17. The Game MVP is Drew Brees with 2 TDs and no picks. Zereous pastes his old team with 155 yards rushing. LT never had that many yards in his three years. Reche and Lorenzo caught the two TDs. Backup, backup CB Drayton Florence retruned a pick for a TD. Game Ball to L.J. Shelton with 5 KRB.

We have two major injuries. Shaun Ellis is out for a couple of weeks with a strained deltoid muscle. And L.J. Shelton has pulled his groin, and not in the good way. He's doubtful for a few weeks. We'll see where each stands after our bye.

Week 5 -

BYE. Donnie is healed, Ellis. is probable and I'll start him. L.J. is questionable. I'll keep him out a week. RT Reuben Poulin will get the start. Ick.

-Anxiety

Old 11-22-2003, 09:37 PM   #68
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Take it you didnt get your stadium?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 09:54 PM   #69
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Week 6 -

I extend Jamar Fletcher's contract by two years.

We win a shoot out in Baltimore 40-35. Brees is the Game MVP, again, with three TD passes to Ayi, Boston and Zereoue. Amos added 79 yards and a score on the ground as did Neal. Ayi gets our game ball with 101 yards, his first 100+ receiving day.

Ellis and Wiley each notched a sack and a half. Jamar rewarded his new contract with a pick. Reche Caldwell is out for 10 weeks or so with a dislocated shoulder. I toss him on IR. I sign SE Freddie Mitchell. L.J. will stay out for at least another week.

Week 7 -

We paste Cleveland with 38 points en route to another victory. Zereoue ran for 102 yards and 1 TD. Drew Brees is notching up Game MVP awards from the media, tossing two TDs and no picks.
Backup RB Britt Clark rushes for two TDs and three Chargers defenders get picks.

L.J. Shelton has been upgraded to prbable and he'll start next week. However, FS Keion Carpenter is out for a while with a broken tibia. I place him on IR and sign FS Shane Walton. FS Terrance Kiel will start for us the rest of the way.

Week 8 -

We travel to Denver and defeat the Broncos 19-13. Drew Brees, Game MVP, yadda yadda. Karl Williams gets the game ball with another kickoff return for a TD. Britt Clark with another rushing TD. Zereoue had 97 yards on 17 carries, Brees looked ugly with a pair of picks. Wiley notched another sack and a half.

Week 9 -

With no major injury news from last week, I look forward to this week's game against Oakland to revenge our almost week one loss in Oakland. The Chargers fans, what few we manage to rustle up, will be raving. So it's no surprise when we shut out the Raiders, 30-0. Nasty!

Drew Brees, Game MVP, tossed TDs to Neal, Ayi, and Dez White. With 326 yards, no picks, I give him the game ball as well. Kwamie had a pick and a forced fumble. CB Jamar Fletcher is out for a couple of weeks. Lewis Douglas is activated and Sammy Davis will reclaim his starting spot until Jamar can come back.

Week 10 -

We fight the equally 6-2 Bengals for respect this week here in Qualcomm Stadium. We are two games ahead of the 4-4 Broncos and the Bengals are also a pair of games ahead of the 4-4 Steelers.

The Bengals knock us down by defeating us 23-20. Zereoue rushed for a TD and Lorenzo caught one. Ayi had 122 yards while Brees threw for 336 yards. Jamal Williams gets my game ball for notchign a pair of sacks. FS Terrance Kiel had a sack and forced a fumble. His one good thing is that he is strong, and he proved it today.

Donnie Edwards in probable due to a shoulder injury. He'll start. Jamar Fletcher has been upgraded and he'll start as well.

Denver won and is a game behind us.

Week 11 -

Hosting the Chiefs, we survive 24-17. We scored 21 points in the fourth quarter. Guess who our MVP is? He had two TD passes to Boston and White. Britt Clark added a third score on the ground. Game Ball to David Boston with a TD, 4 catches for 113 yards. We picked off KC three times.

Shaun Ellis is questionable for next week. I'll start him anyways.

Week 12 -

We get surprised at St. Louis by the previously 3 win Rams, 24-20. Lorenzo and David Boston catch TD passes. Amos and Shaun Ellis are questionable. I'll rest them next week since we play the hapless 3 win Jets. The Broncos lost as well, so we are still a game up.

RB Britt Clark and RDE Carlton Martin will get the start.

-Anxiety

Old 11-22-2003, 09:56 PM   #70
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoobz0202
Take it you didnt get your stadium?

Whoops, good catch. Nope, we lost the stadium vote by a 2.5-1 margin.

Ah well, we'll try again with someone next year.

-Anxiety

P.S. - This is post number 2500 for me! Yay!

Old 11-22-2003, 10:26 PM   #71
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

With five games to go, we are atop the AFC West with a record of 7-4. The Broncos are our main competition at 6-5.

Week 13 -

We survive a shoot out 41-38. Game MVP? Do I even need to say it? Britt Clark rushed for 98 yards and a TD in relief of the Z Man. Brees lobbed four TDs and a pick. Boston, Clark, Ayi, and White caught the TDs. David Boston also had 140 yards.

Amos will be back in the lineup next week. Shaun Ellis will remain benched as his injury heals. L.J. is questionable, but I intend on starting him. Drew Brees has turf toe and is probable.

Week 14 -

We smack the 49ers around 31-9. Karl Williams had his third kickoff return, this time for 104 yards. Our Game MVP (are you seriously wondering who at this point?) tossed TDs to Boston and Curtis. Amos, who had a injury vacation last week, rushed for 121 yards and a TD on 20 carries.

Good news - L.J. had been upgraded to probable, as has Shaun Ellis. Both will start.

Bad News - Kwamie Lassiter suffered a stress fracture in his foot, and is out for the year. I place him on IR. Mike Logan will start for the rest of the year and I sign SS Ramon Walker as a backup. Kwamie had 80 tackles, 2 picks, 1.5 sacks and 19 passes defensed this year so far, and his loss will be sorely felt.

Week 15 -

We are currently tied with Houston for second in the AFC with 9 wins. We need a bye week to heal, so it's time to push down the stretch. We play the Broncos this week, and if we want to put away the playoffs, then we simply win this week.

We survive winning 27-24 in overtime. Ayi and Zereoue caught TD passes, and Z also caught a 2 point conversion to tie the game at 24. Roman Perkins hit a 52 yarder to win the game in OT. Our game mvp tossed 2 TDs and 3 picks. I give a game ball to Roman Perkins with four FGs, including the game winner in OT. Our defense notched a bunch of sacks, plus two picks.

Ruben Brown and Amos Z are questionable for next week. Houston won their game as well, so we need to keep pace. They'll both start next week.

Week 16 -

Arizona shocks us in the battle of the desert 34-31. Drew tosses a trio of TDs to Boston, Curtis and White. I give the game ball to Shaun Ellis with his 1.5 sacks.

With Houston's victory, we are guaranteed to be seeded third even if we lose this week. We will win a tiebreaker with Houston, but we cannot be sure that Houston will lose. So, this week will be our bye week. The following injured players are benched this week:

Ruben Brown
Donnie Edwards
L.J. Shelton
Dez White
Amos Zereoue
Lorenzo Neal

Drew Brees, although slightly injured with Turf Toe, will still start.

Week 17 -

Against the Chiefs in KC, they defeat us 17-10. Hardly surprising. Britt Clark rushed for our lone TD. David Boston catches 9 balls for 103 yards.

Shaun Ellis is out for a few weeks. We reactivate our injured starters and prepare for the playoffs.

-Anxiety

Old 11-22-2003, 10:47 PM   #72
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wild Card Weekend:

Detroit at Dallas

Green Bay at Tampa Bay

Jacksonville at Miami

Kansas City at San Diego

With the unusual and funny incident of playing the exact same team in consecutive weeks due to the playoffs, we host the 9-7 Chiefs.

The Chiefs are coming off a hot six game winning streak. Their last defeat was against us. In Qualcomm Stadium. Ane now we play them again. In Qualcomm stadium.

We endure the Chiefs and ultimately emerge victorius 17-13. Boston and Ayi caught TD passes. Guess who the MVP was?

In other news;

Detroit defeated Dallas 38-17
Tampa Bay over Green Bay 24-16
Miami over Jax 27-13

Divisional Playoff Weekend:

Detroit at Minnesota
Miami at Cincinnati
San Diego at Houston
Tampa Bay at Seattle

Houston is a two point favorite. And we upset them, 21-13. Our Game MVP rushed for a TD and tosses a strike to Dez. Amos adds another score on the ground to go with 129 yards. Terrance Kiel picks off David Carr twice and gets my game ball.

Shaun Ellis is probable and will play next week.

In other news:

The Vikings took out the Lions 24-14.
Miami escaped Cincinnati 23-21
Seattle handled Tampa 21-14.

No team scored more than 24 or less than 13. Interesting.

Championship Weekend:

Miami at San Diego
Seattle at Minnesota

Although the top two seeds held in the NFC, the number 3 and 4 seeds, Miami and us, won on the road last week. Therefore, we host the Dolphins.

The scoring:

Ayi catches a pass from Brees for a first quarter TD.

Miami's Scottie O'Neal responds early in the second by catching a short Jay Fiedler pass.

Jay tosses another short TD pass to Mikhael Ricks to put the 'Phins up by a score.

Brees hits Ayi for a 16 yard pass. 14-14 at the half.

Brees hits Ayi again for a 5 yard TD. 21-14 us.

Plaxico Buress grabs a short Fielder pass early in the fourth to tie the game at 21.

With 2:26 on the board, Olindo Mare kicks a 45 yard FG.

That's game. 24-21.

Game ball, obviously, to Norman Ayi with 7 catches for 91 yards and 3 TDs. Amos added 97 yards on the ground on 19 carries. Jamar Fletcher and Terrance Kiel both picked off Fiedler, Shaun Wllis and Jamal Williams each had 1.5 sacks while Fisk had a sack. Jamar and Randall Stephens each forced a fumble.

A good game by our team, we just fell short in the end. Ah well.

Oh yeah,

The Vikings defeated the Seahawks 31-14.

Super Bowl:

Miami Dolphins

vs

Minnesota Vikings

Miami 18

Minnesota 14

Your NFL Champions - Miami Dolphins!!!

-Anxiety

Old 11-22-2003, 11:22 PM   #73
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A look at the season:

Awards:

None. Not. A. Single. One.

(robbed)

Stats:

QB Drew Brees, 4170 yards, 29 TDs and 9 Ints. 1 Rush TD.

Took every snap, seems like a developed QB. Continues to play above his ability. We gave him all of the tools this year to suceed, Boston, Curtis, Ayi, a solid blocking FB in Neal, and a good receiver out of the backfield in Zereoue. If he had failed this year, we would have left him go willingly. Now, we may fight for him.

RB Amos Zereoue, 244 rushes for 1026 yards, 5 TDs, 35 catches, 260 yards, 2 TDs.

In just 14 starts, Amos had just as good a year as LT when he had a good year. Amos crushed, by the way, his competition:

RB Britt Clark, 103 rushes for 371 yards, 6 TDs, 9 catches, 50 yards, 1 TD.

Where Amos had 4.2 ypc, Britt had just 3.6. Amos was a better pass catcher. Amos's longest run from scrimmage, 67 yards. Britt's was 30.

TE Chester Curtis, 75 receptions, 800 yards, 4 TDs.

Chester led the team in receptions. He has arrived.

FL David Boston, 73 receptions, 1191 yards, 7 TDs.

Now this is more like the production that I expect from Boston. His best year as a Charger.

SE Norman Ayi, 63 catches, 942 yards, 5 TDs.

In his rookie year, Norman proved me right in selecting him by almost hitting the 1k mark in yards. This is all despite how he blew up for three scores in the AFC Conference Championships.

FL Dez White, 34 grabs, 492 yards, 4 TDs.

Dez is continuing to be a valuable third option. The problem is that Chester Curtis is already a valuable third option. As such, I never expect any other receiver to get more than around 500 yards, which Dez pushed.

K Roman Perkins, 32 of 40, 54 yards longest, 40 of 41 XPs.

Getting better.

OLB Randall Snyder, 103 tacks, 33 assts, 5 sacks, 2 Ints, 4 PasDef, 1 FF.

Good stats for our sophomore linebacker. Our leading tackler this year since Kwamie went down.

OLB Donnie Edwards, 48 tacks, 17 assts, 1.5 sacks, 2 Ints, 2 PasDef, 1 FumRec.

Another year when his stats have declined. Has age set in? THis is off of 13 games, but still, this is not the player that I began my tenure as GM with.

CB Quentin Jammer, 66 tacks, 22 assts, 0.5 sacks, 3 Ints, 14 PasDef, 2 FF.

Another so-so year for a former first round pick. Nothing exciting, but nothing bad enough to get axed. Our third leading tackler this year, by the way.

CB Jamar Fletcher, 55 tacks, 14 assts, 3 Ints, 10 PasDef

From 15 starts, Jamar had a pretty decent year. Stats are very similar to Quentin's, actually.

DE Marcellus Wiley, 28 tacks, 13 assts, 9.5 sacks.

Our leading sackman had a good enough season.

DT Jason Fisk, 53 tacks, 14 assts, 8.5 sacks, 1 FumRec.

Jason had a great season for a DT. A lot of sacks, good for an interior lineman. A lot of tackles, which many interior linemen are not good at. All in all, a great year.

DT Jamal Williams, 56 tacks, 22 assts, 5 sacks, 1 FF, 1 FumRec

Another acceptable year.

DE Shaun Ellis, 14 starts, 27 tacks, 12 assts, 7 sacks, 1 FumRec.

Shaun had another solid year for an out-of-position starter that missed two games.

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 02:06 AM   #74
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Free Agents of Note:

QB Drew Brees
FB Lorenzo Neal
FL Karl Williams
FL Dez White
CB Quentin Jammer
CB Sammy Davis
CB Drayton Florence
CB Ken Lucas
FS Terrance Kiel

There are some other free agents, backups and restricted free agents mostly.

Really, Drew, Quentin and Lorenzo are the only major losses. And we can always franchise one of them....

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 04:16 AM   #75
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

End of Season Stuff:

Score:

Team Performance - 72
Franchise Value - 55
Profit/Loss - 77
Roster Strength - 92

Overall - 73

The salary cap has risen to 97 mill.

FB Lorenzo Neal and OLB Donnie Edwards have retired.

Balance Sheet:

Revenues: 72,340,000
Costs: 108,650,000

Profit: (36,310,000)

We are now fully 50 million behind the next lowest franchise in total value.

San Diego has the 31st worst economy of the 31 NFL cities.

We continue to have the worst stadium in the league, although the Rams stadium is getting there.

Our support has started to level off.

Despite fielding an AFC Championship Caliber team, our attendance was a measly 41,600 - 58.1% of capacity. The worst by far whichever way you count.

San Diego has worsened to -1.1% population growth.

Time to look for a new home.

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 04:38 AM   #76
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let's look at some cities:

Do I choose to try again with Salt Lake City? Our proposal failed last time. I decide to create some criteria. All cities that fall within my criteria will be considered for relocation.

Location - At least 75 miles away from competetion
Desire - At least 60%
Population - 800,000
Pop Growth - 1.5%
Income - 30,000
Poverty Rate - Less than 12.5%

Here are the cities that meet my criteria:

Raleigh
Grand Rapids
Salt Lake City
Greensboro

Two Carolinas, one Michigan, and SLC. Not much of a choice. I decide to contact the fathers of Salt Lake again to propose another stadium plan.

The expected cost of our 90,000 capacity stadium with 19500 club seats and 380 luxury boxes if outdoor with natural grass and a high quality construction office is 443 million. I offer to pay 221 million, the max. We'll see how things go.

-Anxiety

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-23-2003 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #77
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I need an offensive coordinator. I take a look at the candidates:

I don't see anybody better than our current coordinator, so I make a five year offer to retain him.

I also submit an offer for a new scout. Our scout's capacity has diminished in two areas and there is a very hot candidiate out there.

I finally make a offer for a head coach. I think that we can do better.

After week one, our Offensive Coordinator signs with us, but both our scout and our head coach candidiate are mulling over offers from other teams. Our scout candidate has 8 offers. We are not the highest bidder for any of them.

The highest current bid for Dixon Stanton, the hot scout candidate, is over 1 mill. That would be around 45 mill in scouting costs! I simply cannot afford that.

I retract my offer and make an offer for 5 years to another scout.

Now I need to take a look at that the head coach position. Do I want to bid on my man or keep the status quo or go after another candidate?

I try to make an offer to the ex-Arizona head coach, but he dones't want to sign with me, so I increase my offer to the coaching candidate that I previously made an offer to.

In week 3, we hire our scouting candidate, but our head coach candidate signs with Denver.

I decide to stick with the guy that we have.

Here's our new guy:

Lead Scout:

Thurman Wallace
49 yrs old
Ranked as good in every single field except fair with D-Linemen.

He's actually cheaper than our previous scout.

I do not change ticket prices.

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 03:24 PM   #78
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Do I franchise Quentin Jammer?

We currently have 21 mill under the cap and have 34 guys under contract.

A franchise tag would be 6 million. Is Quentin worth 6 mill?

He has started every game for us over the past 4 years. Yet he has just 6 picks, 42 passes defensed, 251 tackles, 66 assists, 1 sack.

In 64 starts.

Is Quentin worth 6 mill?

There are a lot of high profile free agents running around. I'd like to get one or two for my team.

I decide to not franchise Quentin.

We need the following starters:

QB
RB?
FB?
LG?
RT
MLB?
WLB?
LCB

I take a look at my roster when the free agency period begins.

I have only currently 36.7 million on next year's cap. We need to spend some cash.

Drew's contract demands are huge and I am not convinced that he is worth it.

I extend L.J. Shelton's contract by two years. FL David Boston is extended by three years. Marcellus is extended by two years. I extend Reche Caldwell's contract by two years.

We now have 29.5 million in cap room this year and 59 mill on next year's cap.

I can make an offer to Quentin Jammer, but it'll get pricey quickly.

I take a look at the big guys who are available.

I make an offer to:

QB Jake Plummer
RT Derrick Dockery
MLB Terry Pierce
LCB Phillip Buchannon

At the end of week 1, Drew Brees signs with Denver. Phillip Buchannon and Quentin Jammer both sign elsewhere.

Week 3, our bid on Derrick Dockery is jumped over by the Giants. I submit another offer to Derrick. Hopefully, he'll sign with us and fill that hole we've had for ages.

I offer a contract to SE Jerry Porter.

Week 4 and Jake Plummer, Derrick Dockery and Jerry Porter sign with us. Our bid for Terry Pierce has been outbid by the Raiders. I increase our bid a bit.

We sign Terry Pierce in week 5. Excellent!

We have 20 million in room for this year and have spent 73 million of next year's cap.

I take a look at a few other agents...

I make a bid for QB Marc Bulger and WLB Jamie Winborn

Two weeks later, Marc signs, Jamie goes to Minnesota. I wait five weeks.

I offer a contract to LCB Dennis Weathersby. We sign him the following week. I head to the draft.

With 40 players under contract, here are our needs:

3x RB
FB
TE
FL
LG*
RG
RDE
LDT
SLB
LCB
FS

Let's head to the draft!

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 03:39 PM   #79
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We draft in the 25 spot. It may be more difficult for us to find what we are looking for.

At the 25 spot, the following players are left that I might consider:

A studly stud FB
A big RG
A nice SLB from WV
A streaky FS, with poor bump and run stats but good everywhere else.
A possible LG
A Parkersburg WV native at the WLB spot

After due consideration, I decide to go with the best overall player, FB Ross Williamsom from Eastern Kentucky, one of only four players rated 8 or above in the draft.

In the second round, the pickings are much more slim. I decide to draft RCB Skip McCoo from West Virginia State.

In the third the pickings are even more slim. I go with LG Luke Dagostino from UVA.

In the fourth, I take RB Andre Reeder from Miss State.

Fifth - FS Shaun Liwiekski from Wisconsin.
Sixth - TE Jimmie Wilcox from Northwest Louisiana
Seventh - QB Bo Collier from Mississippi

After the draft, I sign all of my rookies immediately with the first offer.

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 03:40 PM   #80
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our stadium vote move to Salt Lake CIty has failed despite us offering to pay the maximum amount that we are allowed. We continue to be stuck in this hell hole of a stadium in this cursed city.

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 04:10 PM   #81
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I release QB Rick Gullett
RT Darrin McKnight

I sign restricted free agent RB Britt Clark to a three year deal.

I make an offer to:

RB Travis Henry
RCB Ken Lucas
FL Dez White
FB Patrick Hape

And to these undrafted rookies:

K Derek Bell
LDT Maurice Lyons
RDE Steven Neri
LCB Robert Breien

All players have signed with us. I release FB Andrew Pinnock.

I make offers to a couple of undrafted rookies for training camp -

TE J.B. Wiggins
QB Bubba Lipsky
FL Will Bradley (from WVU!)
P Bob Janto

We have 11.3 million under the cap and 57 players under contract.

We head into camp.

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 04:34 PM   #82
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We sold 17,600 season tickets. Ewwww.

Using the basic training camp schedule my coaches provide, we exit camp and I take a look at my rookies.

Neither QB Bo Collier nor Bubba Lipsky is that good. One will get cut and the other will be around, bt it will be a coin toss as to who.

RB Andre Reeder is a pretty poor running back.

FB Ross Williamson has been tutored well and looks pretty good.

Neitehr of the TEs looks that great but J.B. Wiggins has great special teams ability and that may earn him a spot.

FL Will Bradley looks pretty poor and very raw, but he could develop into a decent backup someday. That day may not be today, however.

LG Luke - maybe a decent starter one day but very green.

P Bob Janto - Looks good and is pushing Chris Hanson for a roster spot.

K Derek Bell - Not better than Roman Perkins, our current option.

RDE Steven Neri - Needs develop time but could become a nice pass rushing specialist.

LDT Maurice Lyons - Another highly green player who could be a stopgap starter.

LCB Robert Breien - I was hoping for better kick return ability from Robert. Without, he may get cut.

RCB Skip McGoo - VERY green, but a good potential.

FS Shaun Liwenski - Nasty looking and not that good.

We received a B for the draft.

Our Leaders (currently):

RB Travis Henry
SE Jerry Porter
LT L.J. Shelton
LDE Shaun Ellis
RCB Jamar Fletcher

I release the following players:

QB Bo Collier
TE Artie Vanderhaak
LCB Robert Breien
P Chris Hanson
K Derek Bell
MLB Leslie Alstatt
RB Amos Zereoue (has decreased significantly in ability during camp)

I sign Andre Woolfolk. He's injury for 14 weeks, but I sign him for a minimum salary contract to see what he looks like post-injury.

I sign LG Kim Taylor and WLB Corey Jenkins.

I deactivate:

FB Patrick Hape
TE J.B. Wiggins
FL Will Bradley
LG Luke Dagostino
LDT Maurice Lyons
WLB Amos Schulz
CB Andre Woolfolk

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 04:38 PM   #83
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our Roster:

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 San Diego Chargers Roster, Scout Overview Player # Pos Start Exp Current Estimate Future Estimate Cntrct Plummer, Jake 17 QB QB 11 44 44 3 yrs Bulger, Marc 9 QB 8 32 45 2 yrs Lipsky, Bubba 4 QB 1 11 38 1 yr. Henry, Travis 38 RB RB 7 49 49 3 yrs Clark, Britt 21 RB 2 33 34 3 yrs Reeder, Andre 24 RB 1 25 35 4 yrs Williamson, Ross 22 FB FB 1 55 72 5 yrs ##Hape, Patrick 45 FB 11 43 43 2 yrs Curtis, Chester 83 TE TE 4 83 83 2 yrs Wilcox, Jimmy 85 TE 1 23 39 3 yrs ##Wiggins, J.B. 87 TE 1 21 49 1 yr. Boston, David 89 FL FL 9 64 64 4 yrs White, Dez 18 FL 8 44 44 1 yr. ##Bradley, Will 86 FL 1 9 34 1 yr. Ayi, Norman 80 SE SE 2 61 71 4 yrs Caldwell, Reche 82 SE 6 51 51 3 yrs Porter, Jerry 81 SE 8 49 49 2 yrs Robbins, Barret 57 C C 13 65 65 2 yrs Austin, Archie 52 C 2 18 45 2 yrs Brown, Ruben 64 LG LG 13 49 49 1 yr. Taylor, Kim 67 LG 5 35 39 1 yr. ##Dagostino, Luke 63 LG 1 15 55 4 yrs Matthews, Casey 65 RG RG 3 52 66 2 yrs Shelton, L.J. 69 LT LT 9 72 72 3 yrs Dockery, Derrick 77 RT RT 5 71 79 5 yrs Holliday, Darrin 62 RT 2 32 44 2 yrs Poulin, Reuben 61 RT 2 21 51 3 yrs Janto, Bob 8 P 1 50 69 1 yr. Perkins, Roman 6 K 4 45 45 1 yr. Ellis, Shaun 78 LDE LDE 8 60 60 1 yr. Wiley, Marcellus 75 LDE RDE 11 54 54 3 yrs Neri, Steven 74 RDE 1 19 36 1 yr. Martin, Carlton 95 RDE 2 18 37 2 yrs Williams, Jamal 76 LDT LDT 10 55 55 4 yrs ##Lyons, Maurice 72 LDT 1 13 34 1 yr. Fisk, Jason 92 RDT RDT 13 35 35 1 yr. Poston, Bert 94 RDT 2 31 45 3 yrs Pierce, Terry 59 MLB MLB 5 70 75 5 yrs Stephens, Eric 91 MLB 3 34 41 2 yrs Snyder, Randall 90 SLB SLB 3 65 66 3 yrs Wilhelm, Matt 56 WLB WLB 5 38 49 1 yr. Jenkins, Corey 55 WLB 5 26 28 1 yr. ##Schulz, Amos 53 WLB 2 17 45 3 yrs ##Woolfolk, Andre 48 LCB 5 47 59 1 yr. Weathersby, Dennis 39 LCB LCB 5 45 45 1 yr. Fletcher, Jamar 46 RCB RCB 7 49 52 2 yrs Lucas, Ken 20 RCB 7 35 35 1 yr. Douglas, Lewis 28 RCB 2 19 49 3 yrs McCoo, Skip 23 RCB 1 8 45 4 yrs Lassiter, Kwamie 42 SS SS 13 64 64 2 yrs Logan, Mike 44 SS 10 51 51 1 yr. Carpenter, Keion 43 FS FS 9 57 57 1 yr. Liwienski, Shaun 25 FS 1 13 37 3 yrs $$ - player is in starting lineup, ## - player is inactive. Players Under Contract: 53 On Active Roster: 46 Salary Cap: $97,000,000 Cap Room: $11,900,000 Maximum for New Player: $12,190,000 Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $2,460,000 Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $150,000 Cap Room Required Next Year: $80,100,000

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 04:39 PM   #84
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our Schedule:

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 San Diego Chargers 2007 Regular Season Schedule Week Opponent Result Attendance Weather Week 1 at Denver Broncos Week 2 at Minnesota Vikings Week 3 at Cincinnati Bengals Week 4 HOUSTON TEXANS Week 5 at Indianapolis Colts Week 6 at Oakland Raiders Week 7 OPEN Week 8 DENVER BRONCOS Week 9 at Tennessee Titans Week 10 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS Week 11 at Kansas City Chiefs Week 12 CHICAGO BEARS Week 13 MIAMI DOLPHINS Week 14 DETROIT LIONS Week 15 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS Week 16 at Green Bay Packers Week 17 OAKLAND RAIDERS Home Games in ALL CAPS Season Tickets Sold: 17,600 Stadium Capacity: 71,600

-Anxiety

Old 11-23-2003, 05:50 PM   #85
Logan
Head Coach

I'm sure I'm not alone saying this, but this has been a great thread. I don't have the game yet (waiting until winter break), and your report has been giving me some great details. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 07:33 PM   #86
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Logan
I'm sure I'm not alone saying this, but this has been a great thread. I don't have the game yet (waiting until winter break), and your report has been giving me some great details. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Hey, thanks for saying so. It's great to hear! I'll keep writing

-Anxiety

Old 11-24-2003, 03:04 AM   #87
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I finally purchased the game a couple days ago, but I still have to come in here and check out how your Chargers are doing.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:23 AM   #88
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Great

Great job posting your dynasty, it has inspired me to start posting when I get home.

It is a shame you cannot get out of San Diego, I wonder if your attempts to relocate have discouraged your fan base. You have put a good product on the field despite the lack of support.

Brees showed no loyalty towards you, you stuck with him when he struggled then he took the money and ran. Continue to post.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:34 PM   #89
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Great

Quote:
Originally posted by mmarra82
Great job posting your dynasty, it has inspired me to start posting when I get home.

It is a shame you cannot get out of San Diego, I wonder if your attempts to relocate have discouraged your fan base. You have put a good product on the field despite the lack of support.

Brees showed no loyalty towards you, you stuck with him when he struggled then he took the money and ran. Continue to post.

Although I am not certain, I believe that to be the case. Franchise wanting to leave translates into low desirability to be there.

San Diego is a bad place, but I'm wondering if it's not time to cut my losses, and come to an equitable deal with San Diego.

-Anxiety

Old 11-25-2003, 10:35 PM   #90
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by GoSeahawks
I finally purchased the game a couple days ago, but I still have to come in here and check out how your Chargers are doing.

Heh. Thanks a bunch. I'll try to get another season done tonight.

-Anxiety

Old 11-25-2003, 10:59 PM   #91
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We go 3-1 in the preseason. The following players have mmajor injuries (major is graded questionable or worse).

SS Kwamie Lassister, questionable for a couple of weeks with a strained knee.

RDE Carlton Martin, out for 3 weeks with a pulled calf muscle.

Andre Woolfolk remains out for a month or two with his MCL injury.

I'll start Kwamie for the season opener.

Week 1 -

We travel to Denver and lose 24-31 as our old QB, Drew Brees pilots the Broncos and their old QB, Jake Plummer, pilots the Chargers. Britt Clark rushes for a score while Dez White and Ross Williamson catch Plummer TDs. Jake also throws a pair of picks, but it's not like I didn't expect that when I brought him in.

RT Derrick Dockery is out for a week or two, LDE Shaun Ellis is out for a month and CB Jamar Fletcher is questionable. I activate Carlton for this week despite him being questionable. I'll start Jamar.

Week 2 -

At the Vikings, we lose 7-41. Ick! Ayi caught a Plummer pass for our only score on the day. Jake threw up three interceptions.

Our injury list is growing long and deep already. David Boston, probable. Matt Wilhelm, questionable. L.J. Shelton, probable. Dez White, probable. Dennis Weathersby, probable. Plus, Ellis, Woolfolk, Carlton Martin, Dockery, and Kwamie. That's 10 players on the injury report already in week 3. Nasty.

Week 3 -

I bench Wilhelm but I will continue to use my banged up secondary. This week we travel to Cincinnati to attack the Bengals. But we come up short, 28-31. Plummer looked good with 3 TDs to just one pick. David Boston looked really good with 119 yards and 2 TDs. Norman Ayi caught the other score. Questionable Kwamie Lassiter forced a pair of fumbles.

Additions to the injury report:

DT Jason Fisk is out for a couple of weeks.
Matt Wilhelm is upgraded to probable and will start this week.
Kwamie isn't healing and I deactivate him, starting Mike Logan in his place.

Week 4 -

We get our first win at home against the Texans 41-38. Jake Plummer is the Game MVP. Travis Henry had his coming out party with 116 yards and a TD. Plummer threw 5 TDs and no picks. But our true Game MVP and the guy with the game ball is WR Norman Ayi with 131 yards and FOUR TDs. Chester Curtis caught the other score.

Norman Ayi was hosed for Off. Player of the Week. It went to, of all people, Drew Brees, with 2 TDs. Hmpf!

All of our players except for rookie Ross Williamson have been upgraded to probable. Ross was injured last week and is questionable. I'll deactivate him.

So Jason Fisk, Kwamie Lassiter and Shaun Ellis are back next week.

-Anxiety

Old 11-25-2003, 11:31 PM   #92
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

At 1-3 through the first quarter of the season, we need to be the Anti-Chargers, coming on hot later in the season.

Week 5 -

We survive Indy 14-11. Ugly. Jake is the MVP. Chester Curtis caught a TD and Travis rushed for a score. Travis had his second 100+ yard rushing game at 126 yards. Shaun Ellis notched a sack and a half. But our defense has got to pick it up a notch.

RT Derrick Dockery is out for a few weeks. FB Ross is probable and will start this week.

Week 6 -

We head to Oakland and win our third game by a field goal, 31-28. David Boston caught a pair of strikes while Curtis added a catch for a TD. Reche Caldwell returned a punt for a TD. Travis Henry rushed for 118 yards. Our offense is clicking. Now our defense needs to get with it.

Week 7 -

BYE. We finish the hard part of our schedule 3-3. We had five of our first six games on the road. Now a bye week heals us, and we'll head into a much easier stretch of games. Hopefully.

Week 8 -

The following injured players are either healed or probable:

CB Andre Woolfolk
RT Derrick Dockery

FL Will Bradley is out for a few weeks with the flu.

Andrew Woolfolk will start in lieu of Dennis Weathersby.

We host the Broncos and avange our earlier loss, 27-22. Ayi goes for 123 yards and a TD while Chester Curtis caught 11 balls, two for scores. Marcellus Wiley registered two and a half sacks, Shaun Ellis grabbed a sack and a half and Jamal Willaims notched a pair as we simply hammered Drew. Jamar picked off his sorry ass. And Mike Logan and Matt Wilhelm each forced him to fumble.

Jason Fisk is questionable. I'll deactivate him. Bert Poston will start in his place.

Week 9 -

We stumble at Tennessee 10-6. Travis Henry is stymied, and Plummer tosses a pick. Norman Ayi still manages to get 124 yards in a losing effort. Randall Snyder got a pair of sacks but Keion Carpenter was the game ball recipiant with a pair of picks.

Week 10 -

Hosting Jacksonville, we fall again, 14-10. Plummer tosses a TD to Curtis for our lone TD. Jamal Williams and Shaun Ellis each sack Leftwich twice. SE Reche Caldwell is questionable. I deactivate him in favor of Will Bradley.

Week 11 -

Our division is very poor right now, so although we are 4-5, we are one game out of first, a game under Kansas City, equal to Oakland and a half game under the Broncos. So it's tight. We still need to get hot...

We play the 5-4 division leading Chiefs this week, so this is a crucial game. Lucky for us we win 30-17. Chester Curtis scored a TD and guard Ruben Brown recovered a fumble and rushed it 13 yards for a TD. Add in a Travis Henry score off 112 yards, his fourth 100 yard game of the season. Jake did a good job of protecting the football.

Week 12 -

Jason Fisk is back and starting as we host the equally 5-5 Bears. The division leader is the 5-4-1 Broncos. And for the fourth time this season, we win by 3 points, 30-27. Travis Henry rushed for a pair of TDs on 154 yards, his fifth such game of the season and best running game for us this year. Jerry Porter caught the other score. Kwamie forced another pair of fumbles.

SLB Randall Snyder is out for a few weeks with a hyperextended knee.
LG Kim Taylor is out for 4 or 5 weeks with a broken ankle.

6-5 and on top of the AFC West, ready for a final playoff plunge.

-Anxiety

Old 11-26-2003, 12:15 AM   #93
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Week 13 -

We lose to the Dolphins 9-20. Norman Ayi caught 104 yards of balls, and five different defenders got a sack. But otherwise we didn't score or defend well.

LG Ruben Brown and DT Jason Fisk are both out for a month with broken clavicles. FL David Boston is out for 6 weeks with a seperated shoulder.

Starting in their places will be Dez White, Luke Dagastino (ick), and Bert Poston.

Oakland won and is tied for us for the division title at 6-6.

Week 14 -

Hosting Detroit, we get back in the winners' colum with a 41-27 victory. Reche returned a punt for a score, Bert Poston recovered a fumble and ran it in for a score, Jamar Fletcher ran back an interception for a score, while Chester Curtis and Jerry Porter caught TD passes.

Jerry Porter had 123 yards on the day. Wiley added a pair of sacks to his season total.

L.J. Shelton has a strained calf muscle and is out for a few weeks. With three starters on our O-Line out with injuries, we'll have a tough time stopping things these next weeks.

Week 15 -

We whoop the Chiefs 28-14 to go to 8-6 on the season. Dez White and Norman Ayi were both receipants of Plummer gifts. Ross and Travis rushed for scores. Shaun Ellis had 2 sacks, Jamal Williams a sack and a half.

RT Derrick Dockery will continue to start back next week since he's been upgraded to probable.

Week 16 -

With two games left, Travis Henry has rushed for 1190 yards and Norman Ayi has caught 1041 yards.

We stumble again at Green Bay, 9-17. Norman added 10 receptions. There are some interesting injuries this week.

Jake Plummer, out for a month with a strained achilles tendon.
David Boston will be probable next week when Marc Bulger starts.
RT Darrin Holliday is doubtful for a few weeks.
RB Travis Henry is out for the rest of the season with a torn rotator cuff. I place him on IR.

I sign QB Anthony Wright.

I release Ken Lucas and sign RB Correll Buckhalter.

Britt Clark will start for us in the final game.

Week 17 -

We've suffered a lot of injuries this year, but yet here we are. 8-7 and tied with the equally 8-7 Raiders. And who do we play this week? The Oakland Raiders, here at Qualcomm Stadium. This one is for the division title and all of the marbles.

Roman Perkins kicks a FG for us in the first.
Oakland's Mark Brunell tosses a TD to Sam Aiken. 7-3 oakland at the end of the first.
FB Ross Williamson rushes for a TD and we go up 10-7 at the half.
Roman Perkins kicks a FG as the only score in the third. 13-7 us.
Backup TE Jimmy Wilcox catches a Marc Bulger TD. A pass to Williamson for the conversion succeeds - 21-7.
Oakland's Scotty Anderson catches a score with 2:45 left in the game but it is superfluous.

21-14 over the Raiders.

And we are 9-7 on the year, the AFC West champions and the number 4 seed in the playoffs.

-Anxiety

Old 11-26-2003, 12:27 AM   #94
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wild Card Weekend:

Carolina at St. Louis
Detroit at Dallas
Houston at San Diego
Pittsburgh at New England

We have a few more injuries to report heading into our playoff game:

LG Kim Taylor is out for 8 weeks with a broken ankle. I throw him on IR.
Kwamie and Chester are questionable, and both will start anyway. This is the playoffs.

I sign G Will Shields. He will start for us in the playoffs, that is how decimated we have been at the guard spot.

We are hosting the 10-6 Texans and they are favored by 4. Earlier this year, we planted 41 points on their ass. We'll see what happens this week.

DeShaun Foster rushes for a score. 7-0 Houston.
Bennie Joppru catches a score. 14-0 Houston.
Correll Buckhalter scores for us, 14-7.

End of first quarter.

Jabar Gaffney catches a Carr TD. 21-7 Houston.
Britt Clark rushes for our second score on the day. 21-14.
Jabar gaffney catches a Hal Mary as time expires in the half. 28-14.

Halftime.

David Boston catches a Marc Bulger toss. 28-21.
DeShaun Foster rushes for another score. 35-21 Houston.

End of 3rd Quarter

Marc Bulger rushes FIFTY-TWO YARDS for a TD. 35-28.

End of Game.

David caught 112 yards, Marc ran like a madman, our defense didn't do much of anything.

Oh yeah, other winners were

Rams 30-20
Cowboys 35-17
Patriots 26-21

Divisional Round

Dallas at New Orleans, 25-24
Houston at Tennessee, 12-7
New England at Baltimore, 20-37
St. Louis at Green Bay, 31-41

Championship Round:

Dallas at Green Bay, 21-14

Houston at Baltimore, 42-21

Super Bowl:

Dallas Cowboys

vs

Houston Texans

In the Battle for Texas

Dallas 19

Houston 31

Your NFL Champions, the Houston Texans!!!!

-Anxiety

Old 11-26-2003, 12:49 AM   #95
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A Lookback at the Season:

Awards:

All-League Second String Offensive Tackle - L.J. Shelton

Stats:

QB Jake Plummer, 15 starts, 3583 yards, 25 TDs, 14 Ints

Jake did a good enough job starting for us. He doesn't lose us games, which just shows his maturity in the past five games. He knows how to get the ball to our many receiving playmakes - Boston, Ayi and Curtis. Although a better QB would be nice, Plummer is fine for now.

RB Travis Henry, 15 starts, 1207 yards, 8 TDs, 7 catches, 57 yards

Although Travis is, in no way, a receiving threat, he's had the best season of any of our rushers, including LT's years. I expect that Travis will be fine after his injurym but I can't be sure....

TE Chester Curtis, 84 catches, 882 yards, 8 TDs

Chester continues to establish himself as our primary target. This year he caught more balls than any other, although Boston was out for 3 weeks.

SE Norman Ayi, 76 catches, 1170 yards, 8 TDs

Norman occasionally blows up, he's had a four TD and a three TD game in the two years he's been with us. Yet, he also can have a quiet redzone day. He has become another possession receiver to go along with Chester.

FL David Boston, 13 starts, 50 receptions, 694 yards, 4 TDs.

Although David was out for three weeks, his productoin still seems lower than in the past. We'll have to see what he does next year.

K Roman Perkins, 22 of 37, 40 of 41 PAT.

This is a dangerous stat. You cannot miss that many field goals in the NFL. And he still misses the occasional PAT.

ILB Terry Pierce, 106 tacks, 41 assts, 1 sack, 1 Int, 7 PasDef, 3 FF

Our free agent pickup is the best MLB we've had, and it shows. Your MLB should lead the team in tackles, not the WLB, SS< or SLB like we've had in the past. This is the first year our MLB has led our team in tackles.

OLB Randall Snyder, 11 starts, 71 tacks, 33 assts, 4.5 sacks, 8 PasDef

Despite five less starts, Randall had a good year. I can only shudder to think what might have happened if he had those extra games.

S Keion Carpenter, 81 tacks, 25 assts, 0.5 sacks, 5 Picks, 9 PasDef, 1 FF

A decent enough year, but I continue to consider an upgrade.

S Kwamie Lassiter, 80 tacks, 34 assts, 1 sack, 15 PasDef, 4 FF, 2 FumRec

Another solid year for our stud, but he is becoming less studly.

DE Marcellus Wiley, 45 tacks, 10 assts, 11.5 sacks

He had a good year sackwise.

DE Shaun Ellis, 13 starts, 27 tacks, 7 assts, 10.5 sacks

Although Shaun's sack total is acceptable, he didn't tackle a lot. That's a problem.

DT Jamal Williams, 51 tacks, 31 assts, 8.5 sacks

None of my D-Line forced fumbles recovered them, etc, except Bert Poston's FF on a sack that he recovered and returned for a score. We need more stripping of the ball. Jamal had a good enough year.

C Barret Robbins, 31 KRB, 4 SkA
G Casey Matthews, 26 KRB, 1 SkA

Neither were ever injured and both had solid years.

T L.J. Shelton, 13 starts, 24 KRB, 2 SkA

I have no idea why L.J. got All-Pro.

-Anxiety

Old 11-26-2003, 02:09 AM   #96
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

End of Year Score:

Team Performance: 74
Franchise value: 52
Profit/Loss: 66
Roster Strength: 92

Overall: 68

The salary cap has risen to 102,500,000

Balance Sheet:

Revenues: 70,750,000
Costs: 142,670,000

Total Profit (71,920,000)

We continue to be the lowest valued franchise in the league, with the worst stadium and the lowest fan support.

Attendance last year: 39,500 (55.1%)

San Diego's growth has decreased to -1.6%

To rennovate Qualcomm Stadium as we would like will cost 216 million. I offer to pay 75 million.

-Anxiety

Old 11-26-2003, 02:19 AM   #97
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I submit an offer to a head coach candidate. Our head coach has one year left. We need a defensive coordinator.

I rehire our defensive coordinator. Our head coach candidate goes elsewhere.

I make an offer to another head coach candidate, and he accepts. He is cheaper and better than our previous coach. Here he is:

Head Coach:

Rich Darnick
46 yrs old
Off: A, G, F, A
ST/Def: F, G, A, G
Yng Tal: VG
Skills: G, G, G, A, VG

Although his positional development skills are fairly average, he works very well with youth and has good regimens designed to keep players healthy. His coaching skills, like motiavation and discipline are good. He's a better offense playcaller than a defensive one.

-Anxiety

Old 11-26-2003, 02:48 AM   #98
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We have several starters that are free agents:

Ruben Brown
Jason Fisk
Shaun Ellis
Roman Perkins
Keion Carpenter
Dennis Weathersby/Andre Woolfolk
Matt Wilhelm

None are our core starters and all are very replaceable. We are currently under the cap by a bit more than 23 million.

So I do not deem it worthy to franchise any players.

I want to make an offer to Andre Woolfolk. I was the one who signed him when he was injured, trusting him. And he was a decent enough starter for us in the second half of last year. So I hope he'll sign cheaply enough.

He doesn't demand too much, so I make him an offer. Here are our starting needs by position:

QB?
RB?
LG
P
K
RDE
RDT?
WLB
LCB
FS

I decide to wait for a week or three to let prices settle before chasing free agents.

Andrew Woolfolk resigns with us in Week 5, and I begin to take a look at who's still around.

A few weeks later and I have signed:

QB David Hill, a good looking backup project.
LG Gabe Rogers, a stopgap starter until som,ething better and more permanent comes along.
RDE Jamal Reynolds, seems like a decent enough starter
FS Terrence Holt, Another decent looking starter.

None of these players cost much.

-Anxiety

Old 11-26-2003, 03:08 AM   #99
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We draft in the 25 spot. Here is a complete list of our current needs:

RB
FB
TE
G
P
K
LDE
DTx2
WLB
CB
SS

And we enter the draft.

Our scout rates five players as over an 8. A Punter, RB, TE, and two OTs, one of whom is from West Virginia (yay!).

It gets to pick 25 and a lot of the quality is already gone. It is basically down to a FS, QB, or gamble on a possible future LG or a possible future DE. Hmmmm.

According to my scout, the highest non-kicker non-FB on the board is the FS, followed by a QB. Getting a GB of the future would be nice. I decide to pull the trigger and go QB, and take the fourth QB in the first round. I draft Zack Kirk from Northwestern.

During round two, I have an interesting choice. I can go Punter and take that stud punter that's still available. A punter graded at maximum should ge about here. I decide to take P Ethan Griffith from Clemson.

I go Guard in the third with Mitch Green from Wake Forest.

RB Jimmie Norris of Cincinnati in the fourth.

TE D.J. Marchant also from Wake Forest.

RDT Bobby Hill from Memphis in the 6th.

And my last selection is DE Irv Porras from UCLA.

-Anxiety

Old 11-26-2003, 03:09 AM   #100
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

By a vote of 51.8%, the funds for our stadium renovation have passed. The work should be completed in three years in 2011.

-Anxiety