Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2003, 06:59 AM   #51
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Time to let y'all in on the greatest shaving discovery ever. My wife and I were in Charleston for her brother's med school graduation, and I discovered that I had left my shaving gel back in Tucker. I was in the shower, so I looked around and grabbed what was in there and used it: her "Johnson and Johnson Clean and Clear Oil-Free Daily Pore Cleanser." It has little micro-scrubbers that do WONDERS shaving. It gives me by far a much more smooth, easy, cut-free shave than I've ever had before, both for my head and for my face. That was 2 1/2 years ago, and I have used it exclusively since then.

I was at camp with kids recently and a leader from another cabin came in and asked to borrow some shaving cream. I told him to give the Pore Cleanser a try, and he said the same thing: by FAR the most smooth and easy shave he's ever had.

Give it a try. It'll set ya free.

--Ben

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:57 AM   #52
alterra
Mascot

Mach 3 with my girlfriend's conditioner in the shower.
alterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 02:08 PM   #53
Radii
Head Coach

bumping this, as I just had the lady that cuts my hair set me up w/ a goatee and I'm going to be shaving everything else on a regular basis for the first time in about 6 years, and I remember it being a very painful/mandatory experience back then.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 02:27 PM   #54
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've been blessed with a thin beard and blond hair. I can get away with shaving just a couple times a week.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #55
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I use the same $40 electric that I bought 10 years ago in high school. I shave about twice a week, sometimes less if I'm lazy. I could probably go 2 weeks without anything resembling a beard, it would just be more like patches of long hairs.

Sometimes I get jealous of people that can do the whole "perpetual 5 o'clock shadow' thing like Charlie from Party of 5, but then I read a thread like this and figure I'm probably pretty lucky
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:29 PM   #56
markprior22
High School Varsity

My daughter got me a shaving cream heating thing a year or so ago and it seems to help.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:53 PM   #57
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eaglesfan27
I really should try shaving in the shower, as right now I also have a lot of problems. I use the Mach 3 Turbo as well. I have to against the grain to get any sort of half-decent look. I would love to grow a beard and mustache despite the heat in the south, but my wife HATES facial hair.

GROW THE BEARD! She'll learn to live with it. I use the Sensor XL, but on my head, not my face. If I tried to shave my face nothing works. The hair is too thick. I have stubble immediatly and it is painful. (The top of my head is another matter altogether. Bald is beautiful.

Grow the beard, you are the male of the species, it is natural...

BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:11 PM   #58
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Hmm...

I've been using Machs for years, currently have the Mach 3 Turbo Deluxe Gold Edition. I only shave twice a week, on Monday and Thursday because I'm too lazy. I can make those great blades last for months without any nicks or buts. I always use Edge gels. I do have to trim my goatee with an electric razor about every 10 days, it's a pain because it's easy to screw up.

The aspect of shaving that I have trouble with is the after shave (not cologne, that's fagg... oops, sorry). For years, I used Old Spice Hydrogel - great stuff. Then they discontinued that. Then after buying the last bottle of hydrogel left on the earth, I switched over to Old Spice Soothing Gel. Then they discontinued that. Now I'm back to the regular Old Spice (in the cool bottles), non-alcoholic kind for sensitive skin. The only problem with the liquids is the waste. Not only the gels caused less waste but it went on smooth.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:20 PM   #59
sabotai
General Manager

I shave when I feel like it. Usually once a week...sometimes I go 2 or 3 weeks without shaving. I usa a desposable razor...the same one I was using about 4 months ago. And I use shaving cream.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:35 AM   #60
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
I've been blessed with a thin beard and blond hair. I can get away with shaving just a couple times a week.

I wear a full beard, and it is the weakest ass thin beard anyone has ever seen. I mean Neal Odonnell's beard kicks my beards ass. I rub a tad of shaving cream on my neck, and scratch the rest of my non beard related hair off at least once a week. I trim it at least twice a month. Usually when the stray hairs get long enough to interfere with eating and drinking.

It is good to be a geek.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #61
Phoenix
Mascot

Gillette Mach 3 Turbos and Braun Synchro when in a hurry or need a quick one on the weekend - I never seem to get a close enough shave and get a lot of irritation on the neck - I'm considereing letting my wife wax my neck area and see if that helps
Old 12-13-2003, 11:49 AM   #62
vtbub
College Starter

Schick Quattro and Edge Gel.

I probably could shave twice a day

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:27 PM   #63
cody8200
High School Varsity

I use the schick extreme 3 and edge with aloe about once or twice a week. It seems to do alright until I shave my upper lip in which case I usually cut myself for some reason. Man it hurts to cut your lip.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:34 PM   #64
Craptacular
College Starter

Norelco. Every day. Always have, always will. I'm debating to try the one with the "goo" so I can shave in the shower.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #65
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Hmm...

I've been using Machs for years, currently have the Mach 3 Turbo Deluxe Gold Edition. I only shave twice a week, on Monday and Thursday because I'm too lazy. I can make those great blades last for months without any nicks or buts. I always use Edge gels. I do have to trim my goatee with an electric razor about every 10 days, it's a pain because it's easy to screw up.

The aspect of shaving that I have trouble with is the after shave (not cologne, that's fagg... oops, sorry). For years, I used Old Spice Hydrogel - great stuff. Then they discontinued that. Then after buying the last bottle of hydrogel left on the earth, I switched over to Old Spice Soothing Gel. Then they discontinued that. Now I'm back to the regular Old Spice (in the cool bottles), non-alcoholic kind for sensitive skin. The only problem with the liquids is the waste. Not only the gels caused less waste but it went on smooth.

Yeah, i hear you Buccaneer. I used that same Old Spice Gel, and i loved it. Why is it that companies stop making all the good stuff??? Like Frito Lay........Those bastards made these really good Ranchero flavored Doritos, they came out the same time the Guacemole flavored ones came out (this last fall). I LOVED those Ranchero flavored chips, but the bastards quit making them. I have been to every grocery store in the 5 state area looking for these damn things...........

Anyway, i hear ya.
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:05 PM   #66
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Wasabiak: You stick around as long as I have and you will see so many products that you get hooked on and then they pull it. I can't begin to count the number of times it has happened and it is very frustrating.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:53 PM   #67
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm also part of the super-sensitive skin club. So much so that I can't even use an electric more often than every other day. I have totally given up on blades and have settled on the newest Braun that comes with it's own cleaner. It gives me by far the closest most-comfortable shave ever. Something about keeping the blades clean must really do the trick. It shaves closer than any blade ever had before.

Now all I need is a decent after-shave to soothe the skin. I use the Nivea stuff and it's allright, but i still have a bit of a burn afterwards.

/most helpful. thread. ever.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 12:05 PM   #68
Arbitrary Aardvark
n00b

I have a beard, but shave parts of my cheeks and neck. I use, and have used for twenty years, a standard safety razor. (I used to have a very nice one which belonged to my Great Grandfather, but it disapeared in a move. I now use a cheepo.) I use Gillette blades, and replace them fairly often. I use actual shaving soap, with a brush and shaving mug my mom got me about fifteen years ago. I make sure the water is very hot before lathering up. I've never been able to manage using electric razors (beard trimmers, on the other hand, I like), and prefer the single-edged traditional blade. Whenever I use a double-edged blade, it gets clogged with my whiskers every inch or so.
Arbitrary Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 12:16 PM   #69
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by alterra
Mach 3 with my girlfriend in the shower.

I have tried to talk my wife into this. How'd it work out?
Old 12-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #70
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I've become pretty frustrated with my shaving results. I use a Braun electric (the one they advertise all the time), and have been using it for almost exactly one year now.

Consistently, I'm no happy with the performance in the neck region. It handles my face fine, but just can't seem to cut the mustard sub-chin.

I have to throw in a standard razor shave 1-2 weeks in order to get a real close shave in the neck/throat area. The electric just can't keep that closeness.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #71
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Anyone going to give this a try when it comes out?

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- There's a new Rolls-Royce for the serious shaver.

Gillette rolled out a new high-tech, premium razor Thursday, a souped-up version of the Mach3Turbo featuring 62 patents and a tiny, battery-powered motor that emits pulses that work on the skin to prop up hair so it can be lopped off more easily.

The Boston-based company said the gentle, electric hum of the "M3Power" not only reduces the need to shave over the same skin surface repeatedly, but even produces an agreeable massaging sensation.

But the Rolls-Royce device, expected to hit North American shelves in May, will also come with a Rolls-Royce price tag: $14.99 for the shaving system (including a battery), compared to $8.99 for the Mach3Turbo. A 4-pack of blades will go for $10.99, a 15 percent premium.

"I'm not concerned about the product or the quality or the ads or the message, it's just whether or not the consumer will readily accept the trade-up," said William Steele, an analyst at Banc of America Securities.

Gillette says they have before, and they will again.

"Men have demonstrated over and over a willingness to pay if we perform, and we do," said Mary Ann Pesce, Gillette's vice president of new shaving products.

The M3Power, rolled out in New York on Thursday after much industry speculation, is a counterpunch to rival Schick-Wilkinson Sword's four-bladed "Quattro," which hit shelves in September amid much fanfare and some concern it would cut into Gillette's market lead. Gillette has sued Schick, a unit of St. Louis-based Energizer Holdings, for patent infringement.

But Gillette says M3Power is more of an extension of the Mach3 product line, and that its next-generation shaving system is still in development. Pesce declined to say whether Gillette would try to include the M3Power technology in a woman's razor. Gillette's new Venus Divine women's system goes on sale in March.

The M3Power comes with a Duracell battery -- also manufactured by Gillette and lasting three to six months under normal use -- that fits in the handle and powers a small motor that generates what Pesce described as a "gentle hum." That energy increases the tension in facial skin, and essentially props up hairs, which can otherwise lie flat.

Gillette also says it has improved the technology behind the coating of the blades, to make sure they stay uniformly smooth throughout.

"It also provides this new experience that guys said was like a massage," she said.

Gillette refused to discuss details of its marketing plan for the new system, but said it would kick off with an ad during the Super Bowl.

Peter Hoffman, president of Gillette's blades and razors division, declined to give specific sales guidance but said he expected comparable results to the rollout of Mach3Turbo, which generated $300 million in sales in its first year.

Most of that came from customers already using Gillette, and the company acknowledged that would likely happen again here. But Steele said it would likely lead to some new customers, and that Gillette's strategy has worked in the past.

"Leave it to Gillette to innovate behind its own products," he said.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote