Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2003, 11:24 AM   #51
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Huckleberry
A 16-team playoff could include all conference champions and then whatever number of wild-card teams are needed to fill it out selected in order of BCS ranking.

And this would benefit the small conferences because.....

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:25 AM   #52
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
That's not my concern at all. I'm just making the point that:

1. There will not be more games under a playoff system
2. There will not be more money under a playoff system.
2b. Money in a playoff system would be more concisely paid out to bigger schools and conferences.

There would be more games if you had, say, a 16 team playoff system that included maybe 8 major bowls, and kept all the other bowls as is. There would be 7 more games after the traditionally big bowl games. There would be more money.

I have seen playoff systems proposed for 24 teams that would keep nearly all of the bowls that currently exist, and just play the games in those bowls. The ratings, attendance, and money involved for all bowls would seem to increase under such a scenario. I mean, did you watch the New Orleans Bowl last year? (I didn't.) Would you watch it if it were Texas vs. North Texas in the first round of the NCAA Div. I-A football playoffs? (I would.)

Quote:
Would the MAC get as many automatic berths as the Big 10? How would you determine wildcard spots for a playoff system? Rankings? BCS style formulas? A playoff system would in no way remove all the second-guessing from the post-season.

I think to resolve this problem with the BCS conferences having all of the money and clout, the non-BCS schools currently should be counted as standing on equal footing. The conferences that have championship games could still have them and have the champion advance to the playoffs. The champion of each conference could send their winner to the playoffs. And then have a Basketball tournament style selection process. That is unfair too, but it at least seems less unfair than allowing a computer program and a bunch of biased sportswriters and coaching assistants determine who gets to play.

Quote:
With bowl games being such a historically large part of college football, I don't really understand why people get so upset about the bowl structure.

The status quo exists to be questioned.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:41 AM   #53
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
There would be more games if you had, say, a 16 team playoff system that included maybe 8 major bowls, and kept all the other bowls as is. There would be 7 more games after the traditionally big bowl games. There would be more money.

I have seen playoff systems proposed for 24 teams that would keep nearly all of the bowls that currently exist, and just play the games in those bowls. The ratings, attendance, and money involved for all bowls would seem to increase under such a scenario. I mean, did you watch the New Orleans Bowl last year? (I didn't.) Would you watch it if it were Texas vs. North Texas in the first round of the NCAA Div. I-A football playoffs? (I would.

The status quo exists to be questioned.

That would a really long playoff for college football. How would this eliminate the "national champion" debate. Does the 14th team winning a title be more worthy then the BCS No. 2 team. You can keep the "other bowls", but they would not suceed. Everyone will not care,. It will be about playoffs, not bowls.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #54
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
That would a really long playoff for college football. How would this eliminate the "national champion" debate. Does the 14th team winning a title be more worthy then the BCS No. 2 team. You can keep the "other bowls", but they would not suceed. Everyone will not care,. It will be about playoffs, not bowls.

So, only for college football is it ok for the champion to not necessarily be determined on the field?

The other bowls don't matter much now. They'd sorta be the NIT to the playoffs' NCAA tournament. And if they fail, so be it. I'd just as soon make the tourney a 24 team deal, starting in December, and running through just after New Year's Day. That way, all the existing bowl games would still be involved. (Or nearly, as it would take 23 bowls in such a scenario). Plus, more of the non-BCS teams would likely make it in. 2 to 3 MAC teams would probably make it in if such a system were used this year.

If you want to complain about how this makes money for the BCS schools because they'd be the ones mostly represented, how is that different from the NCAA basketball tournament? At least in this scenario, those small conferences would have a legitimate shot to win a national championship. Something they don't have now.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:37 PM   #55
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by General Mike
If Hairston, Moses, and Hutchinson are healthy for Saturday's game, UConn is going down. I know the Knights aren't going to beat Miami at the O.B.. but B.C. and Syracuse are both so inconsistent that the Knights could win either of those games.

Anyway, I think RU would be more likely to be chosen for the Continental Tire Bowl, if they went to one, based on fan travel dynamics, and other things.

Can anyone help me out on confirming/denyning my thoughts on this bowl situation?

The Big East has 4 guaranteed bids outside the BCS bowls. Generally speaking, that will mean 5 Big East teams are going to bowl games. Now, If 2 Big East teams finish in the Top 8 of the BCS (lets say Virginia Tech as conference champ and Miami as an at-large), that means they will both go to BCS bowls.

Would those 4 other Big East tie-ins still stand? Would the Big East then send a total of 6 teams to bowl games?

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to keep on top of every longshot chance for Rutgers to get to a bowl game at 6-6.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:12 PM   #56
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
Perhaps, but plenty of other 1 loss teams may have a valid argument to be there instead of USC (maybe even VT... after all WVU is a better team than Cal).

VT needs a lot of help to get there. Possibly including another Miami loss, in addition to losses by almost all the other 1-loss teams...

That said (hi Buddy Grant!!): GO HOKIES!!!!

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:13 PM   #57
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
gasp. Cubsie!
Old 11-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #58
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

What, you didn't think I'd show up in a thread about the Hokies?

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:00 PM   #59
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I have read the comment that minor bowls are just like the NIT etc before. I can only say when you are a small school with a small student base, these bowl games help and they matter to the schools playing.

Because of TCU's recent success in getting to bowl games they have been able to plan an indoor practice facility and other amenities that most schools take for granted.

I don't think a playoff system will work. For it to do so would require major changes such as super conference realignment, mandatory conference championship games plus the additional 4 weeks of actual football if it goes to a 16 team format.

I do think that the BCS should include all Division-1A schools and the spoils should be given a chance to be distributed equally. As it stands now, just over half of Division 1-A schools get an opportunity. I would even support a midmajor Division with all non-BCS conferences getting a playoff system.

It will come to the point where no BCS team in their right mind will want to schedule a good midmajor program and will instead pick the bottom of the ladder. The possibility of a loss will outweigh the few decimal points gained for strength of schedule.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #60
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Would those 4 other Big East tie-ins still stand? Would the Big East then send a total of 6 teams to bowl games?

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to keep on top of every longshot chance for Rutgers to get to a bowl game at 6-6.

College Football News has Syracuse going to the Continental Tire Bowl.... so if Rutgers can pass them in the standings, I would think that they would go to that bowl game.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:04 AM   #61
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
College Football News has Syracuse going to the Continental Tire Bowl.... so if Rutgers can pass them in the standings, I would think that they would go to that bowl game.

It's pretty much a 3 team race for 1 or 2 spots. If Virginia Tech and Miami win out, they will both go to BCS games, freeing up a bowl spot for the rest of the conference.

The next 4 teams would be:

Pittsburgh (almost a certainty)
Boston College (almost a certainty)
--
and 2 of these 3: Syracuse/West Virginia/Rutgers

Notre Dame's horrible season has really helped everyone out. If Rutgers can just get to 6 wins, I'm pretty confident they'll be going bowling.