Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2003, 09:21 PM   #51
maximus
Banned

never went to college but I still drank alot....

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:26 PM   #52
korme
Go Reds

i cannot wait for college damn i hope i have some good times like you guys
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:29 PM   #53
sabotai
General Manager

"As for some of the guys on here saying that you have 2.9's etc and are now doing great. "

Hey...I never said I was doing great.

But seriously, drunk, not drunk, it wouldn't have mattered for me. I never touched alcohol or pot in high school and when I got to college, well, there's a time and place for everything. And my grades were still the same when I was in high school. I can not take a test. Once my grades stopped depending on tests, my grades went through the roof (and I was still geting smashed half the week).

(I know you probably didn't direct to me, I was just saying...)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:37 PM   #54
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

FWIW:

Don't always listen to it when people say "It might work in high school, but it won't in college".

I was a lazy-ass in high school, but had good test taking skills. I finished in the top 5% of my class and got into some rather reputable colleges (not elite though).

Here I thought I would have an awful hard time. Well that hasn't been the case. I've found that a little studying and just applying my test taking skills will go a long way.

I'm pulling an A in a psychology class with a prof. who has a 1.90 GPA in the past, B's in Math and Biology, and an A in English. These classes really are harder for me than other ones will be, since I'm not motivated at all, since I have no interest in the subject. So basically the key is don't always listen when people tell you how hard it will be.

Do visit places. I didn't, came to GTech, and made a huge mistake. I'm now going through the process of transferring next semester, having wasted one here (I had to acquaint myself with all the surroundings, etc., and now I'll have to do it again.)

Make SURE you don't pick somewhere just based on its reputation. Put a little bit of effort into seeing what it is like (read: Not only visit, but also TALK to regular people here (not tour leaders - just normal students)!!!).

You'll learn a lot - if anyone ever asks me what I think about this place I'd tell them the truth - I've gotten dicked over by the administration in every possible way in only a few months, there are tons and tons of kids that are complete assholes, and the only thing (that I've found) to do on weekends is stand around with a bunch of guys and get drunk. That, or study. (I've been choosing the latter).

Just a heads up...

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 10-27-2003 at 09:39 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:58 PM   #55
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
FWIW:

and the only thing (that I've found) to do on weekends is stand around with a bunch of guys and get drunk.
Just a heads up...

What's wrong with that?

Where are you looking at transferring?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:00 PM   #56
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Community college or RPI (which will be very similar to here, but I have some stuff planned to make the experience more enjoyable for me).
Old 10-27-2003, 10:01 PM   #57
korme
Go Reds

he's probably looking for some vagina SD
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #58
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
My advice to you college goers:

Have sex with anything that moves. You'll kick yourself later if you don't.

Seriously, this is actually good advice.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #59
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
dola. and don't be too damn picky

Agreed. The only standard should be stick to a preferred gender. Ah screw it, you can always explain lapses as an experimental phase.

As you move along in adult life, you will rarely, if ever, hear someone lament the amount of sex they had in college. You will hear countless stories starting with, "I should have tried harder to bang Suzie...."

I found out during my last week of college that about 4-5 women would have slept with me if I had made an effort. I regret that I could not get to all of them that week.

You may meet your potential life mate in college. Two comments on that are: (a) this will be more likely to be the right choice the more {insert preferred gender here} you spend time with, and (b) this can wait until senior year. Really.

And the #1 rule of college: Its ok if her roommate is in the room. In extremely rare instances, it is better.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:56 PM   #60
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

If you really want to do something with graduate programs then you need to bring that GPA up. It makes a difference getting into a good program. I worked hard on my GPA as a way to keep myself motivated. I wound up with a 3.7, and if I hadn't pushed myself all the way I might never have even finished. I'm pretty much all or nothing on such things. (I bailed out of my first school with a 1.8 after a year, an example of me doing nothing).

It really hinges on what you want in post grad. Employers are more concerned if you are personable and can handle pressure than what your GPA is.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:02 PM   #61
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari

And the #1 rule of college: Its ok if her roommate is in the room. In extremely rare instances, it is better.

Amen. Just make sure the roomate doesn't walk in on you doing it on her bed... its just too damn hard to get to the top bunk sometimes.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:29 PM   #62
sooner333
College Starter

Yeah, I'm just starting my freshman year here, and I'm just about getting back into lazy mode. The first few weeks I busted my ass studying (at least compared to what I was used to), but now I'm getting lazy and finding less time for calculus and more time for my NCAA 2004 dynasty. I've confined drinking pretty much to the weekends, which is fine, I guess.

Anyway, the only thing is that I keep wondering if I would have been happier back home at OU. Living there for all of my high school years, all of my friends are pretty much there. I always talk to them on AIM and they're always hanging out and doing stuff, and it makes me want to be back just doing stuff agian (I'm going back this weekend for Bedlam, that should be fun). I don't really quite have the group of friends I want here yet...I have a group I hang out with, not quite sure if they're the best match for me, but its better than hanging out with nobody (If I rush in the winter, that will help find a new group). And while the reputation here is really good, I always wonder if its worth that extra cost when I could get a decent education at OU (although the degree wouldn't be "worth" as much...I'm not sure if that's a myth or not).

Anyway, I think I've vowed to myself to stick out the year here, and in the end, I'll probably like it. I just have to stay the year, to experience the whole thing. If I don't like it then, and I think I'd be happier at home, I don't see any reason to stay here for three years knowing I'd be happier somewhere else. I've talked to people here who woudln't think of going to a state school for social reasons beacuse of the degree, but I think I could look past that...I mean, you only live once, right?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:37 PM   #63
maximus
Banned

oh and did I mention that I never had the money to go to college. At the age of 17 I was supporting myself paying rent (not to the parents...since I don't have any) but to a landlord. I flunked my first 2 hours of class in my senior year because I was to tired to get to school because I worked all damn night. ... sorry guys, just a litttle jealous...but hey, I only have a high school diploma and I am making over 40 grand a year. Not bad for a 29 year old I guess.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:14 PM   #64
sabotai
General Manager

What do you do, max? (Sorry if you said elsewhere)

My dad never finished high school, and his business makes over $200,000 a year. (It's basically just him and my mom.)
Old 10-28-2003, 11:12 PM   #65
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
oh and did I mention that I never had the money to go to college. At the age of 17 I was supporting myself paying rent (not to the parents...since I don't have any) but to a landlord. I flunked my first 2 hours of class in my senior year because I was to tired to get to school because I worked all damn night. ... sorry guys, just a litttle jealous...but hey, I only have a high school diploma and I am making over 40 grand a year. Not bad for a 29 year old I guess.

I, too, never "had" the money to go to college. At 17 I was out on my own, paying bills and rent AND tuition at a small community college getting my core classes out of the way.

After two years, saved up enough working to get into the University of Georgia and took another 5 years there to get my degree. Took classes when I could afford them, bought less books than most (or the requirement) because of cash issues.

Graduated and havent done anything job related with the degree.

But, I earned it and I feel that I use my education every day in life.
Making over 40k a year and also 29. Identical situations, strange.

Never had a school grant, scholarship, or student loan. Paid every credit card balance at the end of the month and still have yet to make a car payment in my life. Just prefer to keep it simple and within my means.

College is what you make of it, enjoy every second.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:36 AM   #66
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by B & B
I, too, never "had" the money to go to college. At 17 I was out on my own, paying bills and rent AND tuition at a small community college getting my core classes out of the way.

After two years, saved up enough working to get into the University of Georgia and took another 5 years there to get my degree. Took classes when I could afford them, bought less books than most (or the requirement) because of cash issues.

Graduated and havent done anything job related with the degree.

But, I earned it and I feel that I use my education every day in life.
Making over 40k a year and also 29. Identical situations, strange.

Never had a school grant, scholarship, or student loan. Paid every credit card balance at the end of the month and still have yet to make a car payment in my life. Just prefer to keep it simple and within my means.

College is what you make of it, enjoy every second.

I think college is what you make of it. As you stated, you don't use your field degree. I might not either. But I sure appreciate the education I am getting through all my subjects. I will be a smarter individual, with a wide knowledge of things from philosophy, writing, business, ect. Also, if you ever slip and fall in career, you always have that degree to back you up.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:46 AM   #67
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
What do you do, max? (Sorry if you said elsewhere)

My dad never finished high school, and his business makes over $200,000 a year. (It's basically just him and my mom.)

I am a mold tech. I install & repair structrual foam, extrusion, and injection molds. In Wisconsin there isn't alot of them (at least structrual foam) so the pay is good. I work with R & D people as well. Our molds are about 26 thousand pounds...so you can kind of get an idea of how big they are.

$200,000 a year!.... what does your dad do? damn! I would love to make that type of money.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:00 PM   #68
sabotai
General Manager

His company does several things. Hydro-static testing, services Scba and Scuba tanks/bottles, Oxygen and CO2 tanks (refilling and servicing), and sells fire extinguishers and services them (Plus several other things that are not on his business card)

A lot of his business is with fire departments testing and refilling their fire extinguishers and air bottles. He's the only one in the area that does a couple of things, and he has a good reputation in the area, so he gets refered to by a lot of people.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:36 PM   #69
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
Plus several other things that are not on his business card

I am assuming this is where the big bucks come from.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #70
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, the local heroin trafficing brings in about 95% of the money...that $200,000 is just what the IRS knows about.

Last edited by sabotai : 10-29-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #71
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't always listen to it when people say "It might work in high school, but it won't in college".
I feel terrible for saying this, but... he's right.

In fact, my experience was that if it worked in high school, it almost always worked in university, and sometimes worked even better. Whether "it" was studying your ass off or just doing enough to get by, "it" works.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:35 PM   #72
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
I think college is what you make of it.

Bingo. I have friends who do nothing but study, get fantastic grades, and then maybe hang out once or twice a quarter. That doesn't mean that they aren't enjoying college, it's just what they do. Me?

Well, I work 35-40 hours a week at a pizza place, play at least 3 or 4 intramural sports per quarter, take a full load of classes, and party with my friends about 4 nights a week. And that's not to mention the time I spend here or in my online fantasy or OOTP leagues.

College is a fantastic time, and I'm sad that I'm coming to the end of my college career (5th year senior here, should be done by winter quarter, so I'm out by Spring Break). Do what you like, take a bunch of different classes, try to get to know as many people as you possibly can. You're only going to be young once, so make the most of it.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:49 PM   #73
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I am planning on taking a semster abroad at Macquaire University for my second-semster as a junior (Feb-July of 2005). I think this will be an awesome experience. 30 minutes away from Sydney's heart.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:00 PM   #74
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Community college or RPI (which will be very similar to here, but I have some stuff planned to make the experience more enjoyable for me).

I'm guessing that you're studying engineering because both GT/RPI have good reputations in it, but if not, have you looked at any state universities? I'm a freshman at UMass right now, and I love it. Whatever you want to find, you can find here at any time. It sounded like in your first post you regretted not looking at more colleges, and I just hope you don't feel that way again. I've only stayed at 3 colleges (UMass, UConn and Tufts) and UConn was this fall but I feel like I'm at thecollege I want to be at.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:12 PM   #75
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BishopMVP
I'm guessing that you're studying engineering because both GT/RPI have good reputations in it, but if not, have you looked at any state universities? I'm a freshman at UMass right now, and I love it. Whatever you want to find, you can find here at any time. It sounded like in your first post you regretted not looking at more colleges, and I just hope you don't feel that way again. I've only stayed at 3 colleges (UMass, UConn and Tufts) and UConn was this fall but I feel like I'm at thecollege I want to be at.

Yea', I, at first, was seriously considering UWisconsin, but for one reason or another dismissed it (perhaps a mistake). Also thought about Penn State, but again, decided against it. Got into both places.

That's really why I'm thinking community college might be for me. I don't know what I want to do right now, and CC would give me time to figure that out.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:47 PM   #76
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I really don't have any idea of what I want to do, but going here allows me to explore it. My best advice would be go stay with any friends you have at different universities because that is the only way you'll get a feel. Campus tours/all the literature they have really doesn't tell you much at all. After having one semester under your belt, you probably have a much better idea of what to look for than you did coming out of high school.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:04 PM   #77
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BishopMVP
I really don't have any idea of what I want to do, but going here allows me to explore it. My best advice would be go stay with any friends you have at different universities because that is the only way you'll get a feel. Campus tours/all the literature they have really doesn't tell you much at all. After having one semester under your belt, you probably have a much better idea of what to look for than you did coming out of high school.

Exactly. That's why I'm thinking community college. Will give me to time to look into where I could go after next semester.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:06 PM   #78
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

My college experience was academically fulfilling, but I now mark that as being ancillary to the total experience and personal growth that I achieved.

I was fortunate enough to be on an athletic scholarship to North Carolina State University as a javelin thrower on the track team. I traveled to 18 different states and saw just about every part of the country. We were housed in an athletic dorm, and I had an African-American roommate for three out of my four years. I learned so much about seeing things from a different perspective -- things that I would have never thought about or considered otherwise. In addition to having teammates from all parts of the U.S., I also had teammates from Jamaica, Nigeria, the Dominican Republic, Canada, Germany, France, Sweden, Puerto Rico and Spain. We had something really special -- in addition to the many friendships, we won four consecutive ACC Championships.

I will always look back and be so thankful that I was able to be a part of such a unique and rewarding experience.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote