Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2003, 10:40 AM   #51
haji1
Mascot

I agree with you Butter.

As for taking it out on his wife, please! He was in a bad mood. I am sure none of you have EVER had a spat with your wife when you have been in a bad mood. Sports are like male PMS, they make us moody. He didn't say he purposefully sought out his wife and beat her after the loss.

Man I wish I was as refined and superior as many of you. I would always make the right choices, hold my emotions in check, keep everything is it's proper perspective and never do anything wrong. Good for you. As for me, I live with my heart on my sleeve and let my anger and passion show when it needs to show. The guy was distraught after a devasting loss of a team he feels passionatly about. He let his emotions go. I guess he should have just bottled that up inside him and went postal in about five years because he never let go that anger and frustration.

haji1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 AM   #52
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Nobody suggested bottling anything up. Passion and sports go hand in hand but there is a line. I get angry when teams lose, I yell, but at the TV, at the team, at nothing in general. I don't yell at my wife.

And seriously, if the anger from last night was enough to go postal in five years, there is a MAJOR need for perspective.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #53
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by vtbub
A lot of people here in Red Sox Nation were too young for our other moments of infamy, 1978 and 1986. It certainly was a stomach punch loss.

Baseball is a game that can break your heart. It's a slow agonizing thing that takes days and days coming to a head before finishing, unlike a football game that's done in three hours.

I had grandparents that would have begged, stolen, and borrowed for the Sox to have won it all in their lifetime, and they never saw it. It really is a big deal up here.

Last night was nowhere near as bad on the nasty charts as '78 and '86. There wasn't a 14 game blown lead in the summer. They didn't pull of a miracle finish against California, only to go into Shea and beat a team that was much better, and then screw themselves at the last second. It's not even as bad as what happened to the Cubs this week.

They played the Yankees even for seven plus games, we have a lot too look forward to. For those who were too young to remember, I can understand being upset, I got held out of school for a day in the 10th grade in '86.

Lets cut the guy some slack.

that about sums up my thoughts

marlins in 4
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #54
sabotai
General Manager

I used to get pissed off about things like this, but I found a perfect way to deal with it.

Everytime something like this happens, I go out and buy myself a present. I go to BestBuy or Barnes&Noble, buy something I want, and I feel happy again (the half pack of cigs I smoke on the way there and back help a lot too. )

And if it's too late to go there, I go and pick up a hooker. That does the trick too.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think anybody here is saying they can't relate to getting so emotionally caught-up in the outcome of a game; what's being said is that it can get to be very unhealthy. Consider it words of advice from those that have been there before...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:45 PM   #56
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Letting off steam is what my heavy metal CD collection is for. Nothing like an hour of Fear Factory to completely drain all of the pent-up emotion from your body.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*chuckles*

I've followed this team for 29 years and 2 months.. spent thousands of hours following them, maybe 400-500 hours this year alone between following them on radio/TV/internet (remember, I was doing the job hunt this summer).

Perspective is hard to get when you've spent so much time in a lifetime devoted, not to mention all that in a single year.

Am I wound a bit too tightly? After last night, I think the answer is an unequivocal yes. Maybe next year I'll be a casual fan. Listen to or watch the game if it's on, but not obsessing about it.

But damnit, did it hurt last night. I kinda meant the "wrap a car around a tree post" to come off as a joke, but I can see that I phrased it entirely wrong. And I'm sorry. Big Time.

Now I just wish I hadn't gone so many rounds with the tree. My hands and wrists are pretty much scratched to hell and back.. and trust me, antiseptic and bandages don't do much to keep it from stinging.

THe walk vs car thing is very noted next time. i could have been a danger for the other folks on the road at that hour.

Will I be a better person because of this? Maybe I can just be a fan now, instead of a fan-atic. I know that I won't watch the World Series, because no matter what, I'll wonder... and that ain't good/

Even if I stay as Red Sox crazy next year.. I think I've learned a bit from this.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #58
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Didn't Bobby Grich retire after the 1986 season because of the Angels' loss in the playoffs to the Red Sox? I remember a quote from him about how he hated the game after that series and had lost the will to play anymore.

And of course, there's always the Donnie Moore story...

The Donnie Moore story remains one of the most tragic in the history of baseball, IMO.

I like to think that Gene Autry and Moore had front-row seats from wherever they are in the afterlife (Autry's in Heaven, but I don't know if Moore had something coming to him for trying to take his wife with him) when the Angels won (and in spectacular comeback fashion as well) last year.

My recollection is fuzzy, and I don't remember if the series was the specific reason on Grich. I'm pretty sure that was his last year, but I also think he had announced it before the playoffs began. It wouldn't surprise me if a guy who is about to retire would have that series stick in his crawl.

I don't believe I can honestly compare with the pain of the Red Sox right now, but if it matters any, '86 was close. Our franchise was cursed, too, you know, before last season. It just goes to show that if you keep believing, it can still happen. Have faith.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:34 PM   #59
crushem
Banned

wow...we sure did get off topic quick. Hope fonzie is OK.
crushem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:01 PM   #60
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by crushem
wow...we sure did get off topic quick. Hope fonzie is OK.

I'm just fine, thanks.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:28 PM   #61
crushem
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fonzie
I'm just fine, thanks.

WHOA! I didn't even realize I did that. Sorry. When I saw Fozzie ( for some reason I saw Fonzie).... lol
crushem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:33 PM   #62
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Fonzie hasn't been knighted yet.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:36 PM   #63
Tasan
College Starter

So this is what its like to be a die hard Red Sox fan. Man, I'm glad the Texas Rangers just teased a couple of times in their 25+ year history. Get some help, man, seriously. I'm sure there are several licensed sports psycs in Mass. with all the Red Sox fans up there.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:54 PM   #64
Schmidty
Coordinator

How in the world could anyone get so upset over such a shitty ass sport? I'm baffled.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:23 PM   #65
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Why do we get so obessed with Sports and our teams? Isn't it actually bigger in Europe with soccer?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:03 AM   #66
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

please. i'm dead inside after watching texas football crumble, and finding out mack brown still has EIGHT years on his contract

ugh
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:02 AM   #67
Butter
Coordinator

If you think our culture is super-obsessed about sports, how about Andres Escobar, the guy who got killed after returning home from the World Cup in 1994, after he had conceded an own goal vs. the USA that helped Colombia NOT advance to the 2nd round despite being a pre-tourney favorite.

While I'm sure it's crossed the mind of many a Sox fan, Bill Buckner still lives.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:33 AM   #68
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I had a very bad feeling something was going to happen to that player after he scored the own goal. Even so, I was a little surprised I was right. It is absolute lunacy sometimes with regards to how the rest of the world views a soccer match. In some respects, American sports fans are so much better about such things (redneck crackers in Alabama shooting guns at their kids after a Tide loss notwithstanding). We're a verbally abusive lot, but we never go so far as to kill or maim over it.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #69
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Wanting to blow up and go nuts on something, anything, at certain times this last year (been a hard year), is the reason i went out and got myself a 100lb. punching bag. It has done me some good, especially if you use it on a regular basis as a work out rather then just when you want to hit something. It helps keep that aggression flowing out instead of building up....atleast for me....and hey, after i went nuts on a very solid aluminum shed and scrapped all the skin off most of my knuckles and fingers, its better for my body too.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #70
Desnudo
Coordinator

SirFozzie, I know how you feel. It's a unique feeling to be a Red Sox fan. Unless you grew up in Boston it's impossible to understand the interelationshp between not only the Yankees and Red Sox, but Boston and New York. The Red Sox are beloved/cursed by everyone in the Boston area, even if they despise sports in general (plenty of academics there).

Anyway, I was on the second floor of a hotel in Salt Lake, running on a treadmill when the Yankees tied it. My first, very fleeting, urge was to jump off the deck outside. But the fact that I even felt that emotion is nuts because I don't consider myself a heavy duty sports fan.

In any case, I just wanted to let you know that at least one other person reacted the same way you did.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:34 PM   #71
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Trees are worse. Not only do you scrape the fingers and nuckles, you get splinters and bark in them
Old 01-24-2005, 01:16 AM   #72
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Dola,

And by the way, wouldn't you feel like a complete jackass if you harmed yourself or somebody else because the Red Sox lost to the Yankees and then next year the Red Sox won the whole thing?

Dutch, can I take you to Vegas with me?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:19 AM   #73
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Seriously, I didn't mean to be distasteful or mean at all, I was just trying to brighten things up. I remember when Joe Carter hit his shot off of Mitch Williams, I remember feeling alot like I did the moment I found out my grandfather was dead, just a complete emptiness, but it will get better dude, and on some brisk October night in the future when the curse is finnaly lifted, you'll be glad you didn't take on that tree.

Wow, it only took a year.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:07 AM   #74
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Unhappy Cardinals fan here.

I was alive when the Cardinals last won the Series, though.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:16 AM   #75
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(looking back)

Damn.

Not good times... bad times.

A toast for all.. may I never be THAT stupid ever again
Old 01-24-2005, 08:27 AM   #76
Subby
lolzcat

You should be ridiculed mercilessly for the existence of this thread

LOSER.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:28 AM   #77
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, I can fix that..

but then peepul would loose POASTS!

Old 01-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #78
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Well, I can fix that..

but then peepul would loose POASTS!

If that happens, I might just have to go for a drive.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #79
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Unhappy Cardinals fan here.

I was alive when the Cardinals last won the Series, though.

Yeah, yeah, f--- you too! I was 7 at the time, but was still pissed my parents went to one of the games in Milwaukee and didn't take me.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:31 PM   #80
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Dutch, can I take you to Vegas with me?

lmao!

A true success story! Now about the 3,618 other posts I've made on these boards...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:22 AM   #81
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
(looking back)

Damn.

Not good times... bad times.

A toast for all.. may I never be THAT stupid ever again

BTW, for future reference, it's a lot better to hide your sorrow in a bottle than it is to go on a murderous rampage. I'd recommend vodka.

Last edited by Desnudo : 01-25-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:55 AM   #82
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

: Backs slowly away form the conversation, towards the door::