Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2003, 08:40 PM   #51
John Galt
Pro Starter

I agree Zimmer shouldn't have been on the field and is part to blame. However, Pedro had no business on the field either. And he was charging at Zimmer as well (don't be fooled by the camera angle, they are both walking briskly toward each other). I still don't think Zimmer landed any hit or punch before Pedro threw him. It all seemed to happen so quick at the same time. Either way, Pedro and Zimmer should have been thrown out of the game. There is NO excuse for letting Pedro continue on.

And for those that think Pedro wasn't aiming at Garcia, you are crazy. That pitch was so far out of his normal range and 2nd and 3rd is a perfect time to hit a batter that you probably would have walked or pitched around to set up the double play. And look at the effect it had. Pedro accomplished exactly what he wanted by putting fear into the Yankees and was allowed to stay in the game.

How can a pitcher intentionally nail a guy (aiming for his head), threaten the entire opposing team by saying he was going to hit them in the head too, and then throw down the opposing bench coach and not be ejected? You can say all you want about Zimmer being ejected too (and I won't disagree), but how the hell was Pedro allowed to keep pitching?

Last edited by John Galt : 10-11-2003 at 08:41 PM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #52
Schmidty
Coordinator

I just have to throw in my daily "Baseball sucks!!!!".

Carry on.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #53
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
I agree Zimmer shouldn't have been on the field and is part to blame. However, Pedro had no business on the field either. And he was charging at Zimmer as well (don't be fooled by the camera angle, they are both walking briskly toward each other). I still don't think Zimmer landed any hit or punch before Pedro threw him. It all seemed to happen so quick at the same time. Either way, Pedro and Zimmer should have been thrown out of the game. There is NO excuse for letting Pedro continue on.

And for those that think Pedro wasn't aiming at Garcia, you are crazy. That pitch was so far out of his normal range and 2nd and 3rd is a perfect time to hit a batter that you probably would have walked or pitched around to set up the double play. And look at the effect it had. Pedro accomplished exactly what he wanted by putting fear into the Yankees and was allowed to stay in the game.

How can a pitcher intentionally nail a guy (aiming for his head), threaten the entire opposing team by saying he was going to hit them in the head too, and then throw down the opposing bench coach and not be ejected? You can say all you want about Zimmer being ejected too (and I won't disagree), but how the hell was Pedro allowed to keep pitching?

Agreed. A few other names come to mind as far as people being ejected, and they probably would have been ejected too if it were a regular season game. But its the playoff's... and Fox is paying big money... yada yada yada. Selig probably sent a memo to all the ups before the playoff's started telling them not to eject any big time players unless its absolutely necessary.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #54
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Garcia didn't handle the pitch very well. Maybe I wouldn't have either. . . but if he had a problem, he should have charged Martinez, not attempt to take his frustration out on Todd Walker and certainly not jumping into a situation that was already in control and making it worse.
Let me preface by saying I did not see any part of the game as I was at work . . . however, I disagree with your sentiment on this. Assuming my understanding of your recap is correct (Martinez threw at and hit Garcia in the neck and, on the following play, Garcia slid in hard and took out Walker), that IS the perfect answer. (Aside from Clemens actually hitting Ramirez AND Garciaparra in the head back.) Charging the mound would get Garcia thrown out, Martinez would run away as he usually does when this happens (since Garcia isn't a 72 year old man with plates in his head) and nothing happens. By letting the Sox knows that that kind of bullshit isn't going to be tolerated, Martinez has a choice of losing his fielders or stop being an asshole. The only thing I think was too bad was that it wasn't on Garciaparra. Not because I dislike Garciaparra (I like him quite a bit) but because the threat of him paying the price for Martinez's asshole head-hunting is more significant than Walker.

I don't have a problem with pitchers pitching inside. Any successful pitcher is going to have to come inside. But Martinez has too good of a control for me to accept his constant head-hunting as accidents. I've seen him come inside when he isn't head-hunting and I've seen it when he is. There's a significant difference.

One of my favourite old time story is still the one about this one player who got sick of being constantly hit in the head by the old Philadelphia Athletics (I think) and decided to resolve the situation. He ended up taking out 3/4 of the infield during that inning. He wasn't hit in the head by them quite so often after that. I think that's fair.
Quote:
I still cannot believe Zimmer. He should never be allowed to sit on the bench again. It's bad enough when players attack players, a coach going after a player should never happen.
I agree with the sentiments (yours and others) that Zimmers' actions were highly inappropriate. On the other hand, considering that Martinez head-hunted a guy then had the gall to TAUNT the dugout about it and considering that Zimmer had a supposedly promising career effectively ended by two (I believe) beanball accidents and STILL has a plate in his head from it, I can sort of see why he may react that way. Not that it makes it appropriate for a coach (well, ANYONE) to behave in that manner but I think I can empathize with his feeling or emotion.
Quote:
Clemens screaming from the dugout about a guy headhunting was one of the more interesting things I've ever seen as well. (no, he didn't head hunt today, but we all know the pitch to Piazza was no accident)
Heh. Good point, have to love the irony in this one. Clemens does the same things sometimes. Although, I will say that he at least doesn't try to taunt the opponents.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 08:58 PM   #55
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel

I rarely, if ever agree with Troy, and just felt like calling him on this one.

Hey, I often agree with Troy and I consider what he said a classless statement.

I'm not talking about Zimmer as I didn't see the event, I'm talking about saying you'd knock a 77 year old on his ass for charging you.

If you really feel you are in danger and the only way to avoid it is to react with violence that's fine but there aren't very many 77 year olds that I feel could really put me in danger and I'm not really a fit guy.

I wouldn't knock a 7 year old on his ass either and I'd say the seven year old is more likely to be able to cause me damage than the 77 year old mainly because they're a hell of a lot quicker and they're small size puts them closer to the groinal region.

It seems to me that you'd really have to like hurting people to be able to justify hurting someone who poses no real threat to you and saying that they started it is just looking for an excuse to justify it t doesn't make you a man to take him out and it doesn't make you less of one by walking away. It just shows you have some class.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:14 PM   #56
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Come on Galt, both charging each other? If that's the case than it's a good thing that Pedro threw him down in self defense since Zimmer was able to charge all the way from the Yankees dugout to the Red Sox dugout and Pedro could only manage to get about 15 feet from his dugout in that same time (zimmer must be in much batter condition thatn we thought to win the race by that much).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:32 PM   #57
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This just moved from the just ridiculous into the absolute sublime.

Apparently a Red Sox fan/groundskeeper stationed in the Yanks pen was cheerign a little too much (a fist pumping action was mentioned).

Some of the Yankee releievrs took exception to this and came after the guy. Two Yankees apparently assaulted the guy, including Jeff Nelson (didn't catch the other name).

The groundskeeper reportedly has "clete marks" in his back. They showed him being led out of the park, so he must not be bleeding to death.

Criminal charges are being considered against the two pitchers.

I went into this series thinking, "Wow, how great to have the Sox and Yanks going head to head?" Now I see why this isn't such a good thing.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:33 PM   #58
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Come on Galt, both charging each other? If that's the case than it's a good thing that Pedro threw him down in self defense since Zimmer was able to charge all the way from the Yankees dugout to the Red Sox dugout and Pedro could only manage to get about 15 feet from his dugout in that same time (zimmer must be in much batter condition thatn we thought to win the race by that much).

Huh? If Pedro wasn't moving, then Zimmer would have gone further - your second point contradicts your first.

Anyway, it looks like they were both out on the field, started talking and then both headed for each other. Are you saying Pedro was just standing there minding his own business? That isn't the replay I saw.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:36 PM   #59
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

From what I saw, Pedro and ZImmer had been jawing off at each other the entire time after the beanball that Pedro threw. From the angles I saw though, Zimmer had to have gone from the mound to in front of the dugout, while Pedro would have only gone a third of the distance..

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:42 PM   #60
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan T
From what I saw, Pedro and ZImmer had been jawing off at each other the entire time after the beanball that Pedro threw. From the angles I saw though, Zimmer had to have gone from the mound to in front of the dugout, while Pedro would have only gone a third of the distance..

That sounds about right to me - my only point was that both of them were moving at about the same pace when they "collided."
Old 10-11-2003, 09:42 PM   #61
Philliesfan980
Banned

This is great. Make sure Tim Macarvers crusty old ass writes an appology to this guy who got beat up by the Yanks. Nelson is a complete asshole anyway, I hope he gets worried about this - if nothing else.

If police are planning to press charges, why didn't they lead Nelson out of the pen when it happened. Make sure that they get Garcia too who kicked this guy for no reason. Gotta love it when people jump to conclusions about what happened.

Its ALWAYS the fan's fault, right?
Old 10-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #62
John Galt
Pro Starter

I don't know enough about the bullpen incident, but I found this tidbit on ESPN.com interesting and odd:

Nelson said Williams was the same employee who yelled at the Yankees' dugout during Game 4 of the ALCS in 1999 when a number of fans threw water bottles on the field following a controversial call.

"After a while, we started to remember that," Nelson said.

During that game, fans threw things on the field in the right-field corner after a pair of calls went against the Red Sox. Many members of the Yankees were on the top step of the dugout when that occurred.

Nelson is most certainly a punk, but I'm curious to learn more about this trouble-making groundskeeper.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:47 PM   #63
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
I don't know enough about the bullpen incident, but I found this tidbit on ESPN.com interesting and odd:

Nelson said Williams was the same employee who yelled at the Yankees' dugout during Game 4 of the ALCS in 1999 when a number of fans threw water bottles on the field following a controversial call.

"After a while, we started to remember that," Nelson said.

During that game, fans threw things on the field in the right-field corner after a pair of calls went against the Red Sox. Many members of the Yankees were on the top step of the dugout when that occurred.

Nelson is most certainly a punk, but I'm curious to learn more about this trouble-making groundskeeper.

Yeah, I'm not trying to defend the groundskeeper. He seems at worst a nuicense. These guys (the players) have to be better than that. They deal with taunting every place they go to. For Nelson to snap like that, they should throw the book at him. Charge him for assult and let him face the penalty, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:50 PM   #64
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
Yeah, I'm not trying to defend the groundskeeper. He seems at worst a nuicense. These guys (the players) have to be better than that. They deal with taunting every place they go to. For Nelson to snap like that, they should throw the book at him. Charge him for assult and let him face the penalty, nothing more, nothing less.

It will be quite and ugly scene though if a couple Boston cops drag Nelson in Garcia in, interrogate them all night and charges are never filed. Of course, cops would never help the Sox out against the Yanks, would they?
Old 10-11-2003, 09:52 PM   #65
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
It will be quite and ugly scene though if a couple Boston cops drag Nelson in Garcia in, interrogate them all night and charges are never filed. Of course, cops would never help the Sox out against the Yanks, would they?

Haha. I see where your going.

I don't know about Nelson, although his past doesn't really help him.

As for Garcia, Fox showed him kicking the guy. What more do you need? Seems pretty open and shut.

And people were laughing at me earlier when I said that there might be a lawsuit..
Old 10-11-2003, 09:54 PM   #66
Axxon
Pro Starter

I'd really have to see the incident to have an opinion but here is something interesting from the ESPN article.

Quote:
Both dugouts and bullpens emptied, with Zimmer coming all the way across the infield to the first-base side. Zimmer headed for Martinez and lunged at him. Martinez sidestepped him, grabbed him by the head with both hands and tossed him to the ground. Zimmer landed face down and rolled over on his back.

Sounds pretty damning from this sentence but from the following:

Quote:

Zimmer had nothing to say following the game -- except to note with satisfaction that, "We won the game."

It seems that he has no issue with what happened and the general tone of the article doesn't really play up any malice.

Also, Martinez said:

Quote:

Martinez told ESPN Radio after the game that he is "completely" shocked by what happened on the field Saturday. He said Zimmer tried to hit him, so he tried to push him away. Martinez emphasized that he would never hit Zimmer.

I could see how that could be the case and it may have looked worse than it was. Like I said, I didn't see it, I'm only going by what I read.

On a more serious note this sentence:

Quote:

To keep the crowd calm, the baseball commissioner's office and the Red Sox immediately cut off beer sales in the ballpark.

Keep calm?? Keep calm? Damn, that would rile me up worse than the fight on the field.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:18 PM   #67
haji1
Mascot

I am surprised there wasn't a riot. How many more games of this do we have to endure?
haji1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:26 PM   #68
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

For the record, I hate the Red Sox and Yankees.

That said... Zimmer and Pedro charged each other? Are you kidding? The confrontation took place on the Red Sox side of the foul line. Are you telling me they charged each other, but 72-year-old Don Zimmer covered three quarters of the field in the time it took Pedro to go a third of that?

Zimmer was out of line, and Pedro did exactly what he should have: did just enough to defend himself (i.e. not much), then moved away.

Now Manny, on the other hand... what an idiot.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:31 PM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I rarely, if ever agree with Troy, and just felt like calling him on this one.

Why? Because he knows more about sports (esp. NFL) than you will ever know in your lifetime and can articulate that knowledge instead of the flippant remarks that you and I usually come up with?

I'm not saying I agree with him on this specific point but you made a blanket statement covering more than just this.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:34 PM   #70
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Axxon
I could see how that could be the case and it may have looked worse than it was. Like I said, I didn't see it, I'm only going by what I read.
This is definitely a possibility, especially given the circumstances (Zimmer's momentum, Zimmer's relatively frail physical situation, Martinez who's likely stronger than he looks).

Still doesn't make me dislike Martinez any less.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #71
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I'll just ditto what Maple Leafs said. That is what I was going for but obviously didn't state it clearly.

I'm also a little baffled what constitutes a charge, walking a couple steps, jogging, or does running have to be involved.

I missed the other incident though, I want to see a replay of just what happened with the grounds keeper before I even attempt to form an opinion.

If the grounds keeper initiated it, than he should be fired and banned from having tickets. If it was Nelson, than there should be some fines and suspensions handed out. If Garcia piled in after the fact, he should be ready for one hell of a law suit, as well as the Emperor of the Evil Empire, and he should be gone for the rest of the playoffs and fined. I would even go as far as criminal charges for stomping him like he did, if it is as bad as it seems to be from what I'm hearing.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:14 PM   #72
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I will say this has become one of my favorite threads for one reason: seeing John Galt, the forum's analytical, intelligent, measured voice of reason, transform into a raving Yankee fanboy.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #73
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
I will say this has become one of my favorite threads for one reason: seeing John Galt, the forum's analytical, intelligent, measured voice of reason, transform into a raving Yankee fanboy.

Can I nominate this for QOTM?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:30 PM   #74
TroyF
Coordinator

Look, bash me all you want. I'm the guy who thinks Sapp's hit last year on Clifton was one of the cheapest shots I've ever seen. Legal, yes. Cheap, yes.

Zimmer put himself in that situation. He has no business charging Pedro Martinez. You talk about how his career ended? Fine. Why didn't he charge Clemens after the Piazza beaning? (and it WAS a beaning, he had the same intent as Pedro had today, only he actually hit the guy flush)

It's funny, I don't remember Zimmer saying ONE negative thing about Roger during that incident. Why is that? Oh, yeah, because it's his team. That makes it OK.

I wonder if you know any 70+ year olds? My grandfather, although a slow mover, has the strength of an ox. If he decided to hit me, he's knock me cold. Zimmer isn't some innocent bystander who was blindsided by Pedro. He isn't some feeble mental midget who had no idea what he was doing. He went after Pedro with the intent to "get even" for the perceived wrong. (I'm not even defending Pedro in the perceived wrong, his pitch was cheap, period) Pedro responded by moving out of the way and throwing him to the ground. Good for him.

I have some advice for Zimmer: You don't want to get hit, don't attack ballplayers over half your age.

Tell me, how would this have played out if Pedro had tried to sidestep Zim and twisted his knee? How would it have played out if Pedro would have laughed at the old man, put up a weak defense and Zimmer would have busted his eye socket?

I know, I know. . . that isn't "realistic," right? That's just a flight of fancy that could never possibly happen.

Call me out if it makes you feel better. I've never begged you or anyone else on this board to agree with me on anything. Nor have I ever claimed to have the only right answer on anything. You feel differently about what I said above, good for you. You think it makes me classless? I can live with that too.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:37 PM   #75
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Couple of things Troy mentions bear truth. My father is 76, and four years ago he coulda kicked most of our asses posting here. Not saying that Zim falls in that category, but not all 70 year olds are harmless. Also Zim wasn't charging Pedro because he was angered by a little bean ball. Zim went after Pedro cause he was pissed. He wasn't going after him because he hated what he did, he wasn't having any bean ball flash backs. He was pissed, and he over reacted. Everyone says Pedro was head hunting. He hit the guy squarely in the back.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:39 PM   #76
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have to believe that Pedro did not intend to injure Garcia on purpose, but the location of that pitch hit his back because he ducked his head. if he had not, it would have been in his ear I think.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:40 PM   #77
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Why? Because he knows more about sports (esp. NFL) than you will ever know in your lifetime and can articulate that knowledge instead of the flippant remarks that you and I usually come up with?

I'm not saying I agree with him on this specific point but you made a blanket statement covering more than just this.

Because he states his opinion like it is fact. He refuses to ever admit he just might be wrong, and he comes off as a know it all dickhead, if I could be blunt.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:43 PM   #78
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, like he was right on target with Warner, right?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 10-11-2003, 11:52 PM   #79
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Look, bash me all you want. I'm the guy who thinks Sapp's hit last year on Clifton was one of the cheapest shots I've ever seen. Legal, yes. Cheap, yes.

Zimmer put himself in that situation. He has no business charging Pedro Martinez. You talk about how his career ended? Fine. Why didn't he charge Clemens after the Piazza beaning? (and it WAS a beaning, he had the same intent as Pedro had today, only he actually hit the guy flush)

It's funny, I don't remember Zimmer saying ONE negative thing about Roger during that incident. Why is that? Oh, yeah, because it's his team. That makes it OK.

I wonder if you know any 70+ year olds? My grandfather, although a slow mover, has the strength of an ox. If he decided to hit me, he's knock me cold. Zimmer isn't some innocent bystander who was blindsided by Pedro. He isn't some feeble mental midget who had no idea what he was doing. He went after Pedro with the intent to "get even" for the perceived wrong. (I'm not even defending Pedro in the perceived wrong, his pitch was cheap, period) Pedro responded by moving out of the way and throwing him to the ground. Good for him.

I have some advice for Zimmer: You don't want to get hit, don't attack ballplayers over half your age.

Tell me, how would this have played out if Pedro had tried to sidestep Zim and twisted his knee? How would it have played out if Pedro would have laughed at the old man, put up a weak defense and Zimmer would have busted his eye socket?

I know, I know. . . that isn't "realistic," right? That's just a flight of fancy that could never possibly happen.

Call me out if it makes you feel better. I've never begged you or anyone else on this board to agree with me on anything. Nor have I ever claimed to have the only right answer on anything. You feel differently about what I said above, good for you. You think it makes me classless? I can live with that too.

TroyF

Troy, take a deep breath man and reread what I said. I called your statement classless, not you. Big difference. I DON'T consider you classless but I do disagree with your feelings strongly on this matter.

Yes, I know many 70+ year olds thank you very much. Not counting my family I work at a hospital remember. I also volunteer for meals on wheels. I know a lot of 70+ year olds and the vast majority are no real threat in hand to hand combat to me. I probably would get knocked on my can if I stood there and let your grandpop hit me but I wouldn't do that. I have other alternatives.

Also, I realize that there are some exceptions and if you are afraid for your health then fine, but it's not simply what I'd call a classy way to approach most situations with the elderly. Sorry we disagree but I don't like hurting people if I can help it and usually the elderly just isn't a threat. Seems by his remarks that Pedro feels the same way as he clearly said he'd NEVER hit Zimmer and was merely trying to push him away not knock him on his ass.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:54 PM   #80
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Because he states his opinion like it is fact. He refuses to ever admit he just might be wrong, and he comes off as a know it all dickhead, if I could be blunt.

The second sentence is blatantly false.

The first and third might be right depending on how well you know me and how you choose to read my posts.

I'd say at least 75% of my posts say something along the lines of "I might be wrong" and are followed by my reasoning for thinking the way I do. Look at the Ohio State "haters" thread for an example of that.

One of the biggest reasons I try to add that into most of my posts is because of my writing style. I'm an editor writer by trade. I spent three years writing daily editorials in college. Most of the time my writing style reverts back to that form. The opinion can come off stronger than intended. I never mean my opinion to come off as fact.

As for being a "know it all dickhead," I'm not going to apologize for having an opinion on an array of topics. I read almost non stop. If I see something I'm not familiar with, I read every book and article on the subject I can. (from both sides) I LOVE finding something I'm not familiar with. It gives me the chance to learn about something new. I love getting into a discussion about the issue, because I can learn even more about it.

I didn't write that for you Marmel. As long as you've read my posts, you should have figured some of that out for yourself. You choose to have "selective" memory regarding those posts and have made up your mind about what type of person I am. (for the record, I don't feel the same way about you or your posts. I've probably agreed with you more times than you'd like me to relate and think you've always been good for the forum. A couple of disagreements, but you wouldn't rank in my top 40 least favorite posters)

TroyF
Old 10-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #81
Schmidty
Coordinator

Rumor has it that TroyF is Chief Rum's evil twin. Shhhh........
Old 10-11-2003, 11:59 PM   #82
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know what it is TroyF, but for some reason, I normally don't even read your posts because almost each and everyone makes me dislike you more and more...I couldn't explain why. So, I normally avoid them and we have no problems.

We just go our own ways around here, but I thought your first post in this thread was so ridiculous I had to respond to it.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:02 AM   #83
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know what it is TroyF, but for some reason, I normally don't even read your posts because almost each and everyone makes me dislike you more and more...I couldn't explain why. So, I normally avoid them and we have no problems.

I feel the same way about you, you puke.

I hate you.

GO TIGERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 12:03 AM   #84
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, like he was right on target with Warner, right?

I've given thousands of opinions in this forums history. Many of them have been wrong. (lets see, I said the Arizona Cardinals would be the surprise team last year, I said the Raiders would not win the AFC West last year, I said Jake Plummer would be a bust in Denver, I said the Rams would beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, I said Priest Holmes wouldn't last, I said that Warner would have a big year this year. . . yikes. . .)

If you want, do me a favor and look all of them up. List them by date and in order of how far off I really was.

Just do me one more favor, list just a few of the things I've been right about too. (Ohio State beating Miami last year, saying for a month before the game that Minnesota would beat Green Bay, etc.)

I'm not always right. I'm not always wrong either. If you are going to judge me, at least do it by my overall body of work and not just throwing out one of my misfires to prove how right you are.

TroyF
Old 10-12-2003, 12:03 AM   #85
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Schmidty, that is not what you said when we were cuddling last night.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:05 AM   #86
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Troy, I could toss around 10 guesses on football every week.....no scratch that, my wife could toss around these predictions and she is going to be right and wrong half the time. It is the way you come off with your predictions that rubs me.

Let's just drop it man.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:05 AM   #87
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Schmidty, that is not what you said when we were cuddling last night.

I say a lot of things to a lot of ladies. Sorry if I led you on, but I'm just not in a good place right now.

It's not you, it's me.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:11 AM   #88
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Troy, I could toss around 10 guesses on football every week.....no scratch that, my wife could toss around these predictions and she is going to be right and wrong half the time. It is the way you come off with your predictions that rubs me.

Let's just drop it man.

More flippant remarks. Good form. Great way to debate.

I figure as long as you are making false statements about me as a person without any care as to how true they are, I should be able to respond. You want to drop it when you're the one who called me out? Funny.

TroyF
Old 10-12-2003, 12:18 AM   #89
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
More flippant remarks.
How is that flippant? He's right...anyone could throw out 10 random guesses each week and be right 50% of the time. The fact is that you seem to throw out dozens of long-winded predictions that include a definite hint of "know-it-all-ism". It's annoying enough to me (as well as Marmel, it seems) that I rarely take the time to wade through one of your posts.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:19 AM   #90
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
Rumor has it that TroyF is Chief Rum's evil twin. Shhhh........

I take offense to that! I am the evil one! Grrrr

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:21 AM   #91
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by VPI97
How is that flippant? He's right...anyone could throw out 10 random guesses each week and be right 50% of the time. The fact is that you seem to throw out dozens of long-winded predictions that include a definite hint of "know-it-all-ism". It's annoying enough to me (as well as Marmel, it seems) that I rarely take the time to wade through one of your posts.

Everyone pile on!!!!!! Wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2003, 12:22 AM   #92
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
More flippant remarks. Good form. Great way to debate.

I figure as long as you are making false statements about me as a person without any care as to how true they are, I should be able to respond. You want to drop it when you're the one who called me out? Funny.

TroyF

What do you want to debate? The fact that you come off as a know it all to me? How do we go about debating that?

Old 10-12-2003, 12:22 AM   #93
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
I take offense to that! I am the evil one! Grrrr

CR

Nope. Remember Chief - You're the curmudgeonly dickhead, and I'm the evil asshole. Get it straight.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:23 AM   #94
TroyF
Coordinator

OK. You win. No more show with the picks. (although the Packer prediction came out long before the "show" ever started, and 90% of my history of picks and analysis on the board have not been done in "rapid fire" form. That's happened for a total of 5 weeks. Usually, I make a pick on one game or analyze one situation)

No more predictions. No more analysis either. I never meant to piss anyone off. The fact I did to multiple people is enough to make me stop.

TroyF
Old 10-12-2003, 12:24 AM   #95
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
Everyone pile on!!!!!! Wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!
I figure that if I get Marmel's back, he'll let me cuddle with him sometime...

I can dream, can't I?
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:26 AM   #96
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I can dream, can't I?

I am just glad you didn't bring up today's game.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:26 AM   #97
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

No more predictions. No more analysis either. I never meant to piss anyone off. The fact I did to multiple people is enough to make me stop.

TroyF

And no more beating up 77 year olds ok.

Seriously, if everybody stopped posting because they pissed people off this would be a mighty boring forum.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:27 AM   #98
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I can dream, can't I?

It's not hard to get Marmel's back. It's the big, hunched and hairy one.

And you don't have to dream to cuddle him. 3 toed sloths are very very easy to catch.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:28 AM   #99
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Axxon
And no more beating up 77 year olds ok.

Seriously, if everybody stopped posting because they pissed people off this would be a mighty boring forum.

Yeah, seriously, I would never want anybody to not post what they feel, even you Troy. Everybody has the right to post here, and say what is on their minds...it is a big part of what makes FOFC such a great place.

I

Old 10-12-2003, 12:30 AM   #100
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The funny thing is, Marm and I, who have traded barbs all year, have managed to keep things civil and rather up front in IM.

Thus speaketh the Sox Fanboy