Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2003, 07:26 PM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Might as well follow this one to the end...

Judge Blocks Band's Suicide Show - Oct. 2, 2003

A Circuit Court judge slapped an injunction Thursday (October 2) on Florida shock-rockers HELL ON EARTH banning them from holding an onstage suicide that their leader vows will occur during a webcast performance this weekend, according to the Associated Press.

St. Petersburg leaders had asked Judge John C. Lenderman for the injunction after the band announced plans to have a terminally ill person commit suicide during a gig somewhere in the city Saturday night to raise awareness of right-to-die issues.

HELL ON EARTH leader Billy Tourtelot, who did not attend the hearing, had said earlier the band will defy a city ordinance passed Monday that makes it illegal to conduct a suicide for commercial or entertainment purposes, and to host, promote and sell tickets for such an event.

Tourtelot told the Associated Press that the suicide show will be played "a select few people" at an undisclosed location in St. Petersburg and be shown live on the band's web site. He has declined to disclose any details about the terminally ill person.

If the band violates the order to stop publicizing the concert, members could face contempt of court charges.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:49 PM   #52
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

What the hell is an industial rock band?
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:18 PM   #53
Ksyrup

Industrial rock was popularized in the early 90's by Ministry and Nine Inch Nails. It's essentially a combination of hard rock/metal and electronic music, with a key focus being a relentless, pounding, semi-dance beat. The music is harsh, and the repetitive beats have an almost mechanical quality to them, from which the "industrial" label is derived. In fact, some bands even use metallic sounds in the music, to make it truly "industrial" sounding.

It was all the rage about 10 years ago, but IMO it got boring pretty quickly. That's why they need to resort to blenderizing rats, sodomizing animals, and letting terminally ill people kill themselves on stage.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-02-2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:29 PM   #54
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Ahh ok I have heard of Nine Inch Nails. I tried to go to the site before I asked to see if there was any samples or anything (of the music!) but it was down. Maybe the judge got to it?

I would find it hard to concentrate.. even to kill myself.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 10-02-2003 at 09:29 PM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:29 PM   #55
Easy Mac

Hmmm... I'm taking the LSATs on the 4th, so there will be at least one public suicide.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #56
markprior22
High School Varsity

What ended up happening with this?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:25 PM   #57
Ksyrup

Well, there was this:

Suicide Concert Halted By Web Attack - Oct. 5, 2003

A concert by Florida shock-rockers HELL ON EARTH which was to feature an on-stage suicide of a terminally ill person was postponed Saturday because of problems with the planned broadcast of the event over the Internet, according to The Associated Press.

The band's web site was attacked Saturday evening by a flood of data from computers somewhere in Hong Kong, said Jason Trindade, the operator of a San Diego-based technology company that hosts the site.

"There's been a huge amount of traffic which causes the server to lock up," Trindade said. "We can't handle that."

HELL ON EARTH leader Billy Tourtelot said Saturday morning the concert and suicide would take place that night in two separate, undisclosed locations in St. Petersburg. He wouldn't give any more details on the venues.

Trindade said he was told by Tourtelot that the performance would be postponed, possibly until next weekend.

Several attempts to reach Tourtelot on Saturday night were not immediately successful.

The band asked fans to visit its web page for the performance, but no video was shown. Instead, a link to another site appeared, as did the following message: "Next week the show will go on."

Trindade said the site was victimized by a denial-of-service attack, which is designed to hamper or shut down a computer system by flooding it with huge amounts of data. He did not immediately know how the site would address the problem.

Emergency dispatchers in St. Petersburg and Pinellas County reported they had no calls reporting a suicide nearly two hours after the event was to have taken place. In St. Petersburg, police were on alert for calls of a suicide or suspicious death, and for the flood of calls from media outlets tracking events.

And then this:

Newspaper: Radio Host Proclaims He Has Suicide Video - Oct. 6, 2003

Robert Farley of the St. Petersburg Times reports a Chicago man says he has exclusive video of the much-hyped HELL ON EARTH performance Saturday night, including "crazy" footage that purports to show a sickly-looking man commiting suicide through "some sort of asphyxiation."

But Shane Bugbee isn't necessarily buying that it's real.

Bugbee, 34, said he has been interviewing HELL ON EARTH leader Billy Tourtelot during the past three days and plans to share what he has learned during his two-hour Internet radio program at noon today on www.radiofreesatan.com

Bugbee said he has two videos, one of the band's performance and another of "something that looks crazy" and appears to show a man commiting suicide.

"But I don't know if I believe it," Bugbee said. "I want some more information.

"Until I see police taking a body out of a home, it could be Billy's girlfriend, for all I know."

Bugbee said he did not want to share all he knows before his radio show.

"I'm holding an exclusive," Bugbee said, adding that he has been offered $10,000 by the National Enquirer for an interview. "It is interesting, to say the least, the whole underground journey."

Bugbee said he met Tourtelot while in St. Petersburg researching a book on Michael Diana, who was jailed for publishing cartoons that were judged obscene. Bugbee also interviewed Tourtelot when he reviewed some of his CDs several years ago.

Bugbee said he's not sure whether all this is a hoax, but he doesn't have a problem if it is.

"I was leery of Billy up front," he said, "and I'm even more guarded now."

In his numerous interviews with Tourtelot over three days, Bugbee said, it appeared that Tourtelot was sincere in his desire to promote his right-to-die views.

"He (Tourtelot) believes in freedom of choice and that other people shouldn't control your destiny," said Jan Bernius, a friend who works at the Phat Shack in Ybor City. "Billy does not fake things. What you see is what you get."

Bugbee said he plans to make videos available to the public soon.

"I will make sure it gets seen," he said.

What sellouts. It used to be all about the blenderizing and drinking of rats, now it's just for the fake suicides.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:28 PM   #58
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Smells like horse poop.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote