Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2003, 04:20 PM   #51
Ufer
n00b

Local news stations don't know how to cover politics, or don't care. The little coverage they broadcast is mostly about the strategy or the entertainment value and not about the issues.

For those interested: here's the press release and report of a study on this issue:
http://www.learcenter.org/html/about/?&cm=/lclna072303
http://www.localnewsarchive.org/pdf/LocalTV2002.pdf

Garamendi already has 2 failed runs for governor, so he's one up on Simon...

Ufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 04:30 PM   #52
clintl
College Starter

Yeah, but Garamendi had almost no chance either time. The Democratic nominee was pretty much preordained both times, and he (coming from a small Central Valley town) had almost no chance to raise the funds needed to compete. Both times, I thought he ran a very solid campaign, given the resources he had to work with and his geographical disadvantage of not being from LA or the Bay Area.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #53
mrskippy
Banned

CNN also has used the Total Recall reference. A local newspaper also did.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:01 PM   #54
mrskippy
Banned

BTW with Issa, the major supporter of the recall effort, out, it takes even more credibility out of the right-wing conspiracy garbage the Dems. have been tossing out.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised in Simon and/or McClintock threw in the towel to.

With two prominant Dems. in the race, if the Republican party really wants to stymie Davis, they'd throw all their weight behind Arnold.

I think we're in for an interesting next few days until the Saturday deadline passes.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:08 PM   #55
clintl
College Starter

I think Issa just bailed because he knew he had no chance. McClintock and, to a lesser extent, Simon are both pretty hard-headed, and I doubt they'll both bow out, especially since Arnold does not really represent their views.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:14 PM   #56
mrskippy
Banned

BTW, I really never knew too much about Arnold's background. But reading this makes me think he might be the right guy for the job.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/columns/weintraub/story/7036093p-7984463c.html
Old 08-07-2003, 05:22 PM   #57
heybrad
Norm!!!

Simon is too stupid to realize that he will lose.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:27 PM   #58
clintl
College Starter

Reading that article makes me think Arnold should be a Democrat.

I still don't like the idea of rich guys with no experience thinking they are qualified to start at the top. I know there are some who have done fine, but I would prefer that they prove their political skills in a lower office first, where they can't do as much damage if they're in over their heads.

Last edited by clintl : 08-07-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:35 PM   #59
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl

I still don't like the idea of rich guys with no experience thinking they are qualified to start at the top. I know there are some who have done fine, but I would prefer that they prove their political skills in a lower office first, where they can't do as much damage if they're in over their heads.

Tell that to Reagan.

The thing that makes Arnold a Republican are his fiscal views are probably more in-line with the Republican party than the Democrats.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:36 PM   #60
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl
Reading that article makes me think Arnold should be a Democrat.

Having a decisive leader that base decisions on common sense is 100x better than a bureaucratic political wonk who thinks like a lawyer. Nearly all of the problems in politics is that there are way too many of the latter and not enough of the former.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:46 PM   #61
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Having a decisive leader that base decisions on common sense is 100x better than a bureaucratic political wonk who thinks like a lawyer. Nearly all of the problems in politics is that there are way too many of the latter and not enough of the former.

Knowledge and personal relationships are important, too. You wouldn't hire someone who was CEO of a retail clothing chain to be the new CEO of your high tech electronics company. You would always look for a decisive leader who already knew the business to be your top guy. That's the point I'm making. And it's even more important when you're talking about picking someone to run a state (especially a large one), because running a state is a lot more difficult than running a corporation.