Back to hibernation...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:36 AM   #52
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
I'll give it a shot. The pro football game was a Great Lakes region creation and pro leagues were started from Northeastern/Midwestern cities. The South lost out on that initially (too poor and ahem, backwords) but instead, had the colleges and the preps take up the slack. The NFL/pro teams did not enter the Southern market (I believe) until 1960 with the Texans. Atlanta, Miami and New Orleans all came later.

True. However, the seat of pro football, Canton OH, in the northeast corner of OH, near Cleveland sits among one of the biggest high school football regions in the country. It boasts possibly the most tradition rich HS football program ever, Massilon, Canton McKinley, who has won a few state championships and I believe even a national title or two is their big rival. It is one of the largest in the nation and was featured in Sports Illustrated when they played their 100th game. Well over 20,000 show up for that game every year. Then again, close to 20,000 show up for every Massilon game. It was fun in high school to travel the four hours to Massilon and beat them in their own stadium. 20,000 can get real quiet, real quick.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:40 AM   #53
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I haven't cared about anything related to H.S. since the day I graduated.

I'd say it's about the same for me, though I do keep tabs on HS football now and then. I played in the Suburban One League outside Philly, which has some pretty good teams and will produce the occasional NFL player. My alma mater (Neshaminy HS) won the PIAA 4-A state championship in 2001. We had made the state playoffs in my sophmore year (1988), but got steamrolled by Cedar Cliff, compliments of Kyle Brady. Nobody could tackle the MF'er. Just plowed down the field with 3-4 guys hanging off of him...anyway, some of the teams we played (most won't know any of these, but I'll throw them out here anyway) were Central Bucks West (known for their various unbeaten streaks), North Penn (featured in the original 'The Season', they weren't nearly as good when I played), Pennsbury (Troy Vincent), Council Rock (bunch of rich, spoiled SOB's, with a butt-head for a coach). Anyhow, football was big, our stadium would almost always be filled on the home side, and was often on the visitors side.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:50 PM   #54
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm just holding out for NCAA 2004. That'll keep me busy till the NFL preseason starts.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote