Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #51
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I don't care at this point if I'm frozen to death or get warm weather. Just get me out of this misery that we currently have.

I don't know how the Canucks put up with this kind of weather on a regular basis. Or Buffalo residents for that matter.

Syracuse has won the Golden Snowball for most snow for a major city for a bunch of years in a row, we easily outpace Buffalo.

Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #52
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Or Buffalo residents for that matter.

Now you know why RendeR is so pissy.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Syracuse has won the Golden Snowball for most snow for a major city for a bunch of years in a row, we easily outpace Buffalo.

I don't want to know how a Golden Snowball is made.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #54
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Holy Jesus. It's snowing buckets again. You know it's a bad sign when they highlight Kansas City's snowfall totals on the national news. Another 4-6" of snow tonight with 30-40 MPH winds. I thought North Dakota was the only place with -30F wind chills. Goodness.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #55
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We're supposed to get 7-10 inches in Chicago on Thursday and then drop down into the single digits for Friday and Saturday.

Should be a fun morning on Friday with the snowblower.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #56
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
We're supposed to get 7-10 inches in Chicago on Thursday and then drop down into the single digits for Friday and Saturday.

Should be a fun morning on Friday with the snowblower.

Yep. Our office sent out an email reminding everyone what the emergency phone number is -- basically just getting our hopes up that the office will be closed, when what will really happen will be that we'll get slammed once we're at work tomorrow, and have a bitch of a time getting home.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #57
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

It's fine here.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #58
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

C'mon snow, get out of KC and make your ass over to Troy!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

we might get flurries here in Myrtle Beach tomorrow night-Friday morning. I'm sure the entire state will shut down as a result.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #60
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
we might get flurries here in Myrtle Beach tomorrow night-Friday morning. I'm sure the entire state will shut down as a result.

This is becoming one of those times I am ashamed of the people were I have lived for 13 years now. The cold front hits us tomorrow morning and the next couple of days a temp over 40 is doubtful. So of course school districts are considering canceling school on Friday. 36 degrees could cancel school....very pathetic to me.

I understand we have more poor down here then a lot of other places, so efficient clothing for such temperatures may be a problem for many people. As my wife said though, if anything extend the school day so those kids are in heated buildings and not at home with no heat at all.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #61
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This is usually the part in the thread where I paste the local forecast in here and then yell at all you wussies to shut yer traps. Unfortunately our weather is (relatively) nice this winter so far, and I have no real complaints. Carry on with your bitching!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #62
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
This is becoming one of those times I am ashamed of the people were I have lived for 13 years now. The cold front hits us tomorrow morning and the next couple of days a temp over 40 is doubtful. So of course school districts are considering canceling school on Friday. 36 degrees could cancel school....very pathetic to me.

I understand we have more poor down here then a lot of other places, so efficient clothing for such temperatures may be a problem for many people. As my wife said though, if anything extend the school day so those kids are in heated buildings and not at home with no heat at all.

School canceled with temps above freezing? Wow. You should be able to stuff some bunched up newspaper under your shirt to keep warm at those temps, if necessary.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #63
AlexB
Pro Starter

Awesome picture on the BBC website of Britain, taken by NASA, showing the entire country whited out - never seen that before. Amazing.

BBC News - Frozen Britain seen from above
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #64
McLovin
Mascot

It'f 50 degrees in Ft. Lauderdale, actually went below freezing last night and again this weekend. The freakin iguanas were falling out of trees. They go into some deep hibernation when it gets too cold and just fall to the ground. I'm going to have to put the heat on again tonight !!!
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ain't got nothing to speak of here in Athens. To the west of us there's enough ice on some roads that schools are already closed but barring a miracle my son is pretty much resigned to going to school tomorrow at this point.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #66
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Tons of schools are being closed tomorrow in Louisiana including every school in Baton Rouge and the surrounding area due to concern about black ice in the morning. It is raining lightly and the temperature is supposed to drop down to the low 20's or high teens tonight. There is also a small chance that state offices will be closed tomorrow and I'll be off work.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-07-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #67
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

Yeah that is kinda pathetic. And as I predicted, already before any of the weather (supposed to start as rain and maybe change to snow) has hit, counties to the west of us are already on 2 hour school delays. Sigh.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #68
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Big letdown in Chicago. I'd say we got about 5 inches, but it's pretty fluffy snow, so not an issue. The biggest issue is that it snowed right up until this morning rush hour, so a number of the streets (not the highways) were still in the process of being cleared. Of course, by tomorrow we're supposed to be in the single digits with wind chills down to -20, which, honestly, is far worse than a big snowstorm, IMO.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #69
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Awesome picture on the BBC website of Britain, taken by NASA, showing the entire country whited out - never seen that before. Amazing.

I didn't realize the UK was going through a big snowfall. How are things going for you guys over there? I know the few years I lived in Oxford everything ground to a halt with an inch or more of snow.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #70
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I didn't realize the UK was going through a big snowfall. How are things going for you guys over there? I know the few years I lived in Oxford everything ground to a halt with an inch or more of snow.

still is that way ... My sister currently is in England (near Leeds) and it´s pretty much like a scene from day after tomorrow as soon as it starts snowing ...

Not much better where i used to live in germany, now that i´ve move to southern germany (just on the edge of bavaria) people and authorities are more used to it.

There´s a snow storm of sorts projected for the weekend with medium amount of snow but heavy wind, i went shopping in advance yesterday just in case. Not that it will be as bad that you couldn´t go out, but why bother when you can stay home, read a book, play some FM10 and let people visit you at your place ? (new apartment = all the incentive to say "you have to come visit me this time" )
The way to and from work on my bike is friggin cold every day, just 3 km (2 miles ) but still pretty annoying ...

@ Jari Rantanen's Shorts : That is an amazing picture, thanks for sharing
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #71
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Of course, by tomorrow we're supposed to be in the single digits with wind chills down to -20, which, honestly, is far worse than a big snowstorm, IMO.

Single digits sound good right now. We'll be lucky here in KC to get above zero anytime before Sunday afternoon. Wind chills are ridiculous right now. It takes me roughly 45-60 seconds to walk from my car to my workplace in the morning. In that short timeframe, my ears were throbbing in pain from exposure to the cold. That's just nuts.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #72
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Dude, you gotta wear a hat when it gets below zero. Messed-up hair be damned!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #73
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

You're assuming I have more than 200-300 hairs.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #74
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Same - temperatures dropped to -20 in Scotland and -17 in Oxfordshire last night, so the 4-5 inches of snow we had are untouched.

Tbh I've not left the house this week beacuse of it (had the week off) and all it's dnoe for me is made me cancel plans to go to London & Oxford (and to start raiding the freezer!)

But school's, airports, roads, railways, etc have all been or are still closed. And we're running out of salt/grit! Just been reading about thieves nicking the grit some of the councils have been putting out to the community bins!

There'll be a black market (white market?) on salt and grit, panic buying - people will be nicking the salt sachets from KFC to defrost their drives soon

Last edited by AlexB : 01-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #75
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Same - temperatures dropped to -20 in Scotland and -17 in Oxfordshire last night, so the 4-5 inches of snow we had are untouched.

Tbh I've not left the house this week beacuse of it (had the week off) and all it's dnoe for me is made me cancel plans to go to London & Oxford (and to start raiding the freezer!)

But school's, airports, roads, railways, etc have all been or are still closed. And we're running out of salt/grit! Just been reading about thieves nicking the grit some of the councils have been putting out to the community bins!

There'll be a black market (white market?) on salt and grit, panic buying - people will be nicking the salt sachets from KFC to defrost their drives soon

Only on this message board can you see the words 'salt/grit', 'nicking', and 'KFC' used in the same post.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #76
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

LOL, amateurs

I never wear a hat or boots to go to work in the Winter and we often have cold waves with temps as low as -25F with windchill. I do pull up the hoodie from my coat on the windiest days though. Similar to MBBF, it's a 45-60 seconds walk from car to door at work.

Oddly enough for this year though. As I see everyone down South experiencing abnormally low temps, we've yet to really have anything in the single digits (F). We usually have some very, very cold temps between Xmas and New Year's but this year has been very nice. I'm sure we'll get lots of crazy low temps in the weeks to come though.

FM
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #77
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh wow.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #78
lungs
Pro Rookie

-14 this morning when I finally looked. Strangely I would've thought it was around 0 if I hadn't looked.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #79
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

On the subject of cold ears, I play sponge hockey with a guy that never, ever, wears a hat or toque of any kind (this occurs outdoors). We had a game a few years back that, with windchill, was about -55 celcius, and he still refused to wear one. I have no idea how he has not lost parts of his ears to frostbite, it is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #80
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
On the subject of cold ears, I play sponge hockey with a guy that never, ever, wears a hat or toque of any kind (this occurs outdoors). We had a game a few years back that, with windchill, was about -55 celcius, and he still refused to wear one. I have no idea how he has not lost parts of his ears to frostbite, it is absolutely ridiculous.

maybe he allready has and it are mechanical ears ? Anyone checked ?
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #81
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I feel for you all, I really do.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #82
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Talking about the cold weather I experienced something pretty cool today.

I went skiing with my son today. At the top of the mountain it was sunny and 3 above the freezing point (37.4 ºF). When we reached the bottom of the hill the temperature had dropped 26 degrees to -23 C (-9.4 ºF).
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #83
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
Talking about the cold weather I experienced something pretty cool today.

I went skiing with my son today. At the top of the mountain it was sunny and 3 above the freezing point (37.4 ºF). When we reached the bottom of the hill the temperature had dropped 26 degrees to -23 C (-9.4 ºF).

No pun intended, I'm sure.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote