Old 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well at least A&M manages to score against the second string defense

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Even if I don't like the smarmy SOB, Richt was funny trying make sure he avoided the Gatorade bath and the players were kind of funny getting the OC Bobo by surprise instead.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #53
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue
Dec. 31 - Sun Bowl
Stanford (+8) over Oklahoma

I actually think Stanford is the better team at this time and might be a fair bet outright. Getting 8 is a true gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I was hoping more people would think that way, but after opening at 7/8 it's up to Oklahoma -10 in most places.

I still say there's something I must be missing, but we shall see. As a 10 point dog, the outright odds on Stanford should be something like +300 (or 3-1 in more conventional form; bet $100, win $400). That's mighty tempting, IMO.

Quote:
Other games that have shifted - AF (+7, down to +4.5) vs. Houston, Auburn (-4.5, up to -9) vs. Northwestern, West Virginia (from +1 to -2.5) vs. FSU, Florida up from 10.5 to 13 vs. Cincy, South Florida from -7 to -10 vs. Northern Illinois, Arkansas from -10 to -7.5 vs. ECU and TCU going from 4 to 7.5 point favorites vs. Boise. (plus Georgia had gone from -4 to -6.5 tonight, which looks good so far)

Thank you for the research. It's interesting the way the lines have moved. Florida-Cincy I kind of expected with the Meyer saga. I still like Cincy, even though it's a temp coach vs. two saints.

One line not mentioned that I expect to move a bit is TT-MSU. Leach is being keelhauled and I have no public opinion on what may have happened there. They picked the D.Coord to coach, which is interesting. I think he'd be a lot happier with a 7-point win than Leach would, and may work toward that end. But fundamentally Tech is still a red hot passing team, and MSU still has those problems against the pass, in addition to the suspensions.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #54
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think Mike Leach put the wrong James in the closet. He should've put Craig James in the closet, locked the door, and threw away the key.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I think Mike Leach put the wrong James in the closet. He should've put Craig James in the closet, locked the door, and threw away the key.

It being Craig James' kid makes the story even stranger. Wonder what ESPN thinks about it. I did see that James was supposed to do the TT bowl game, but they've pulled him from that already.

Last edited by Logan : 12-29-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #56
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue View Post
I still say there's something I must be missing, but we shall see. As a 10 point dog, the outright odds on Stanford should be something like +300 (or 3-1 in more conventional form; bet $100, win $400). That's mighty tempting, IMO.

Hasn't Vegas had something of a love affair with Oklahoma in general this year? I thought I saw somewhere that if Vegas odds were used as a ranking system, Oklahoma would have been a top 10 4-loss team late into the season.

Edit: Stanford's starting their backup QB since Luck had finger surgery. Backup's a 5th year senior that has thrown 3 passes this season.

Last edited by bronconick : 12-29-2009 at 12:03 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #57
MrBug708
Head Coach

Prichard isn't a slouch
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #58
MrBug708
Head Coach

That was surprising start. Who would have thought Temple would have passed?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That was surprising start. Who would have thought Temple would have passed?

I can tell who didn't think they would pass (UCLA's defensive coaching staff).

Oh, another note to the staff: if Prince isn't interested in showing up today, please get someone in there who is.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #60
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's time to bring in Craft. BRO wants to see Brehaut, but this game isn't about the future, it's about not being embarrassed.

Field Goal U
Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Temple back to the Big East, but this time as an all-sport member. UMass upgrades and maybe Villanova, too? Add Memphis as an all-sport member, kick out DePaul and there you have your 16 basketball schools and football goes to 12.

You know, for when Rutgers/Pitt/Syracuse leaves...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #62
MrBug708
Head Coach

Akeem Ayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It wasn't so much if they'd blow it, just how they'd figure out which way to do it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #64
MrBug708
Head Coach

Feels good to finish on a high note
Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #65
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Feels good to finish on a high note

That was a high note?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #66
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That was a high note?

Baby steps

Brian Price declares
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #67
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Great start to the Badger game... *sigh*

Miami opens up with a kickoff return for a touchdown only to be called back ono a stupid play by one of the Canes to block in the back on the 10 yard line when his runner is 5 yards ahead of him. Not that it mattered much as it took two plays to score.

The Badgers pin the Canes and force a 3 and out and are threatening now goal to go. Badgers also lost one of their better lineman to a knee injury but he might come back..
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #68
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was a high note?

Heh...that bowl visit just supplied more cash to the conference than a certain recent visit to a bowl in the Bay Area.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #69
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh...that bowl visit just supplied more cash to the conference than a certain recent visit to a bowl in the Bay Area.

And I'm sure 17 year old recruits care about that, rather than the fact that the team was almost embarrassed by Temple, a team with one of the worst reputations in the FBS. Don't get me wrong, it would have been even worse to have lost that game, but I'd hardly call it a high note for the Bruins.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-29-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #70
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Badgers dominating this game so far in the trenches. A turnover has kept this game semi-close. Hopefully this can carry over into the second half(unlike most of their games this year. The Badgers were really good in one half and bad in the second half a lot).

Hold the Canes to no more points this half and I'll take that.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my brother just pointed out...the "illegal shift" motion by the ref looks like ummm...something else
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #72
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sua-Filo is going on his mission

Crap
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #73
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And I'm sure 17 year old recruits care about that, rather than the fact that the team was almost embarrassed by Temple, a team with one of the worst reputations in the FBS. Don't get me wrong, it would have been even worse to have lost that game, but I'd hardly call it a high note for the Bruins.

Well, I wasn't the one who called it a high note. I would just argue glass houses and all that...

Let's just say, UCLA probably got a lot more positive momentum out of this postseason than the Trojans did, since they're supposed to be in a BCS bowl, and UCLA just wanted any bowl.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #74
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Crap

That one hurts, but I'll support the kid, if that's what he wants to do. He'll come back bigger and stronger and even more mentally prepared.

This gives Abele his chance and some of our other young players.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #75
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

You're stretching pretty badly here. No 17 year old kid knows about or cares about Temple. Pete Carroll can show the box score for the first half, Rick can show the box score of the second half.

4 wins to 7 wins is a high note no matter what you might try to spin
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #76
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Badgers have given Miami all the chances in the world to stay in the game.. and the refs too while you're at it. I thought the defense had given up less than 100 yards in the game until I remembered Miami's two big offensive plays(one came at the end of the first half and the other at the start of the second half, both of which amounted to nothing for the Canes).

Rock on, Badgers! They return LOTS of players next year. LOTS.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #77
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

As I speak, the Badgers pin Miami on the 1 yard line and then give up a 25 yard run with a 15 yard penalty on top of that. Ugh. Helping Miami stay in it... and then the Badgers pick up their first defensive turnover of the game. That should about do it for the Miami Hurricanes. Woohoo!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #78
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Looks like another late season collapse for the Canes, which has become an annual tradition under Randy Shannon. He's done some great things for this program, but I sure hope he buys a fucking clue and learns how to coach by next season.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #79
tarcone
Coordinator

Go Wisconsin! Go Big Ten!.

Its nice to see a ranked opponent beaten. And from the ACC. Awesome.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #80
tarcone
Coordinator

Almost spoke to soon.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 AM   #81
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
honestly this just strikes me as another case that illustrates the example of the difference between conferences. A&M looks like a three-win team if they played in the SEC, maybe better than Vandy but that's about it.
Can't really argue with this. The B12 South is about equal to the SEC East but the SEC West is head and shoulders above the B12 North.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Hasn't Vegas had something of a love affair with Oklahoma in general this year? I thought I saw somewhere that if Vegas odds were used as a ranking system, Oklahoma would have been a top 10 4-loss team late into the season.
It's not just Vegas it's pretty much every computer-based system. Other than the Texas Tech aberration that I can't explain (tA&M beats Tech by 22, OU beats tA&M by 55, Tech beats OU by 28 in consecutive weeks?) they lost by 12 points combined to BYU, Miami, Texas and Nebraska, all out of state (even if BYU was essentially a home game.) Stanford got hype for beating Oregon and USC back to back, but then lost to Cal (minus Jahvid Best) and beat ND in the last minute to close the season. They've also given up at least 34 points 5 of their last 7 games ans are starting a backup QB who, MrBug's assertion aside, has a 15-22 td/int ratio and slightly over 6ypa in a season and a half of starting, and pretty much singlehandedly gave away games vs. ND in 2007 and 2008 from the little I've seen of him. Weird things happen in bowl games if one team cares and the other doesn't, and Oklahoma has a history of playing poorly out of state, but I'd be careful there with laying too much on Stanford to cover (-110) - but (cutting across the entire preceding paragraph) if you can actually get a money line in the 300 to 400 range that's pretty good value.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #82
Butter
Coordinator

Worst use of a recovered onside kick ever, Canes.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #83
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Updated lines on the relevant games:

* Stanford is still +10 vs. Oklahoma, with the money line at +300
* West Virginia is now favored by 2.5 vs. Florida State
* Cinicinnati is now +13 vs. some other team
* To my surprise, the Texas Tech-MSU line hasn't moved - TT is still favored by 8, with the over/under at 60.5
* Boise State remains +7 vs. TCU
* Central Michigan is still -3.5 vs. Troy

I still like the Cardinal to cover, and I also like the odds to win outright. I like the UNDER in the Alamo Bowl better than I like the spread, though that should be OK (I hope).

P.S. I'm alternating between being sick of "I Am The Champion" and being inspired by it.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #84
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
It takes a competent QB to beat Oklahoma's defense. They will stack the box and force the pass.

P.S. That song sucks, and was possibly written by a 5 year old.

Last edited by B & B : 12-30-2009 at 01:14 PM.
B & B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #85
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Crap

It's a positive now...unless he has a change of heart while out there and decides to become a Cougar....But I know Norm as long as he is there will know how to get the missionaries in shape when they get back...

Just hope he doesn't get sent to Central or South America where he will potentially lose a ton of weight and muscle mass.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #86
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll be very surprised if Norm is still at UCLA in 2 years. There are more rumors out there that he won't even be back next year.

Edit: Not to mention even the LA times is picking up on it:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...6133904.column

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-30-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #87
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll be very surprised if Norm is still at UCLA in 2 years. There are more rumors out there that he won't even be back next year.

For Rick Neuheisel to rule at UCLA, he'll need Prince -- latimes.com

If thats the case I would say the Xavier becomes a Cougar or Ute after his mission.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #88
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
It takes a competent QB to beat Oklahoma's defense. They will stack the box and force the pass.

P.S. That song sucks, and was possibly written by a 5 year old.

Stacking the box doesn't really work against Stanford. Their offensive live + FB Owen Marecic + Heisman runner up Toby don't care if you put 9 in the box. If they want to run, they will. They still need some passing to win this game, but stacking the box is an empty threat that Stanford has heard all season.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #89
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For Rick Neuheisel to rule at UCLA, he'll need Prince -- latimes.com

Chow will be back next year for sure. The Times has been trying to send him out for a month or two now, to San Jose State, back to USC, to the NFL, to retirement. They really need to just stop; their track record is very poor.

ESPN's Ted Miller is reporting him as coming back, too.

The X man actually says he'll be back to UCLA "if Coach Neuheisel is still here." So I'm not sure even Chow leaving would keep him from coming back, although certainly it won't help if Chow is not here when he returns.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #90
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Stacking the box doesn't really work against Stanford. Their offensive live + FB Owen Marecic + Heisman runner up Toby don't care if you put 9 in the box. If they want to run, they will. They still need some passing to win this game, but stacking the box is an empty threat that Stanford has heard all season.
Except this isn't vs. a PAC-10 defense anymore. Oklahoma is 4th in ypc against, 7th rush defense, (also 7th in overall yards against per game and 7th in scoring defense). Stanford's best opponent in terms of run defense was Arizona St - 24th in ypc against and 18th in rush yards against and Gerhart put up 125 on 27 carries (4.6ypc) against the Sun Devils. I wish I wasn't working tomorrow so I could watch Gerhart vs. a real defense.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #91
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Except this isn't vs. a PAC-10 defense anymore. Oklahoma is 4th in ypc against, 7th rush defense, (also 7th in overall yards against per game and 7th in scoring defense). Stanford's best opponent in terms of run defense was Arizona St - 24th in ypc against and 18th in rush yards against and Gerhart put up 125 on 27 carries (4.6ypc) against the Sun Devils. I wish I wasn't working tomorrow so I could watch Gerhart vs. a real defense.

Oklahoma's defense is vaunted enough to be considered impressive for any conference. Gerhart is going to get his. He always does. Can Oklahoma keep the 4 and 5 yard gains at that? They need to wrap him up, and prevent the runs into the secondary. If they can force 3rd and 7-10's, then Pritchard will have to play like he did against USC in order for Stanford to win, which I wouldn't bet on.

Gerhart will get his. I would bet on that.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #92
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, I can usually find something remotely interesting about nearly any bowl matchup but is there a less interesting pairing than Bowling Green vs Idaho? That's not even a good I-AA regular season game.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-30-2009 at 06:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #93
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

35-35.. it's a pretty good game!

Make that 42-35. Wow.

Edit: ESPN breathes a huge sigh of relief that this will not run too much longer and run into the next game

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-30-2009 at 07:00 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #94
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Are YOU KIDDING ME?

And ESPN360.com just cut out

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-30-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Edit: ESPN breathes a huge sigh of relief that this will not run too much longer and run into the next game

Speak too soon?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #96
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hahahaha.

Big bomb, caught with pass interference on the defense.. and it looks like via the ESPN Game tracker that they scored the TD on the next play with :04 to play..

but ESPN360 doesn't have it on the live feed (the alloted time ran out, and no one extended it)

and they went for two, and got it. What a crazy finish. (betcha some ESPN guy called down to the coach and said "If you send this to OT, we will bury you forever! END THIS GAME ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-30-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #97
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Zona getting destroyed early
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #98
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Oklahoma's defense is vaunted enough to be considered impressive for any conference. Gerhart is going to get his. He always does. Can Oklahoma keep the 4 and 5 yard gains at that? They need to wrap him up, and prevent the runs into the secondary. If they can force 3rd and 7-10's, then Pritchard will have to play like he did against USC in order for Stanford to win, which I wouldn't bet on.

Gerhart will get his. I would bet on that.
If 125 yards on 25-30 carries in a double digit loss is "getting his" then sure, but then why was he a Heisman candidate? If you think he's getting close to 200 or averaging 6+ a carry, I highly doubt it. Time will tell though. (and the early Pac-10/B12 returns here aren't promising)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-30-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #99
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If 125 yards on 25-30 carries in a double digit loss is "getting his" then sure, but then why was he a Heisman candidate? If you think he's getting close to 200 or averaging 6+ a carry, I highly doubt it. Time will tell though. (and the early Pac-10/B12 returns here aren't promising)

Why was he a Heisman Candidate? Consistency. Every game he could be counted on for at least the numbers you mentioned, and in the biggest games Stanford played, he had his best games. Why should I assume he's not gonna do what he's done in just about every game for 3 years in his final collegiate game? Because Oklahoma has a good defense, including a great DT? I guess I could assume things will be different. I wouldn't bet on it, though. You apparently would
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #100
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Meanwhile, Arizona is getting their asses kicked. Foles had better find some rhythm with his receivers. Nebraska is just dominating both sides of the ball.