Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #51
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I believe so. My wife told me that steam was doing something on its own when she was on the computer.

I hope so.

A bit of a funny story. My wife has been giving my 17 year old step son a hard time since Halo Reach came out because he has been shut up in his room all day and night playing. He only comes out to eat.

So, I tell my wife this morning "Hey, Civ 5 comes out today. I'll be locking myself in the basement playing for the next week just like Jared."

She says, "Cool. Don't expect me to be here when you climb out of the basement next week...Dork."

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #52
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Since Steam sucks, it kept giving me an error of an incomplete installation. I uninstalled and am re-installing to see if that fixes anything. Good thing I'm not losing any playing time right now since I'm working but hopefully this fixes it before tonight

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

Is this Steam thing going to give me problems installing the retail copy on multiple machines? Anybody with any experiences with other games have any insight?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #54
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Is this Steam thing going to give me problems installing the retail copy on multiple machines? Anybody with any experiences with other games have any insight?

You can only have it on one steam login; however, it can be installed on however many machines you want. So if you want it on desktop, laptop, and work machine for you to use, you're all set. If you and person xyz both want to play at the same time, then not so much.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #55
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

If Steam causes any problems from me playing my store-bought box copy tonight, I'm going to be very, very upset.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #56
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

It gives me the option of using DirectX 9 or DirectX 10/11.

I have all of them installed, but the DX10/11 option never loads.

9 works, however.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #57
SackAttack
Head Coach

DX9 is the one that runs for me, although I can only seem to get about 15-20 turns in before the video card or driver starts throwing fits.

Alas.

Guess I'll need to upgrade the machine sooner rather than later after all.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #58
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm in and playing (or at least watching the intro).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #59
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Maybe we should have had an interim "@#($^&$ Boyz, Civ V/Steam download and decryption bitching thread" before this one got cranked up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #60
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The default video settings on my PC, which is minimum requirements, are mostly low with a couple of mediums.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #61
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Even at those settings, the game looks fine.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #62
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
If Steam causes any problems from me playing my store-bought box copy tonight, I'm going to be very, very upset.

I think most of the problems are related to unlocking the preload files, which has always taken a while right at release, though you don't need to do that with a box copy. I've very rarely had problems installing games on Steam, though i haven't installed a box copy since the release of Half Life 2 so don't exactly know how that process works now.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
You can only have it on one steam login; however, it can be installed on however many machines you want. So if you want it on desktop, laptop, and work machine for you to use, you're all set. If you and person xyz both want to play at the same time, then not so much.

So, if I want to do LAN play with my wife with laptop and desktop both at the same time, it won't work unless I buy 2 copies?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #64
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Since Steam sucks, it kept giving me an error of an incomplete installation. I uninstalled and am re-installing to see if that fixes anything. Good thing I'm not losing any playing time right now since I'm working but hopefully this fixes it before tonight

If anyone else has this happen before uninstalling you can try to verify game files and it should try to find and download any missing files. To do this open properties by right clicking on title in Steam, then the option to Verify Integrity of Game Cache is under the Local Files tab.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #65
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
So, if I want to do LAN play with my wife with laptop and desktop both at the same time, it won't work unless I buy 2 copies?

Correct.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #66
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If anyone else has this happen before uninstalling you can try to verify game files and it should try to find and download any missing files. To do this open properties by right clicking on title in Steam, then the option to Verify Integrity of Game Cache is under the Local Files tab.

The problem I found was Steam servers simply was not responding to me. I guess overloaded by Civ fans.

I decided to step away from it before I really got mad. Came back after making lunch and steam servers magically are responding now. So trying to repair my install now.

For those familiar with Steam, do I have to connect any time I want to play it ever, or is there off line play after you finally get through this hell?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #67
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

You might be able to play LAN with one computer using Steam in offline mode.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #68
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The problem I found was Steam servers simply was not responding to me. I guess overloaded by Civ fans.

I decided to step away from it before I really got mad. Came back after making lunch and steam servers magically are responding now. So trying to repair my install now.

For those familiar with Steam, do I have to connect any time I want to play it ever, or is there off line play after you finally get through this hell?

Only required connection is one-time validation at the beginning (or, I guess, if you install it to another computer). Once installed and validated on that computer, you're set.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am pleased the keyboard movements work very well with hexes, despite the manual saying you are to move your units with a mouse. Had to turn the grid on so I can see which direction I need to move.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #70
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Nevermind, Steam servers have lost connection again. ugh

Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #71
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, typically when there's a big release either download speeds are slow or unlocking takes a while right at launch.

There is an offline mode that it will give you the option to start in if no connection is detected, or you can choose to go onto it from the menu bar.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #72
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Nevermind, Steam servers have lost connection again. ugh

If the server you're using isn't working well you can try using a different server in Settings.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #73
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

England is about to get it's shit ruined.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #74
spleen1015
Coordinator

You guys suck. Not only are you playing before me, but you're not posting shit.

This thread better have 150 posts by 2pm for you bitches are in trouble. Understand?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #75
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You guys suck. Not only are you playing before me, but you're not posting shit.

This thread better have 150 posts by 2pm for you bitches are in trouble. Understand?

If Steam would let me play, I would post stuff

Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #76
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Here's some info on the Babylon Civ for those that got it in a bonus version:

Babylon
Nebuchadnezzar II

Earn free great scientist when you discover writing. Earn great scientists at double normal rate.

UU: Bowman (6 combat, 8 ranged -- "stronger in combat than the Archer, both defensively and offensively")
UB: Walls of Babylon (80 hammer, 1 gold maint, 7.5 defense -- not only is better defense than normal city walls, but increases combat during bombardment)
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #77
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If the server you're using isn't working well you can try using a different server in Settings.

I'll try that the next chance I get a break from work stuff

Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #78
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It appeared to have picked New York for me by default. After I switched to Boston and restarted, that seemed to do the trick. Now it is doing yet more downloading! (C++ libraries or something it appears)

Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #79
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Loaded it up and did the customary first time listening to the opening movie in full room surround sound / big screen.

I'm pumped, so far!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #80
spleen1015
Coordinator

Alan, throw a homie a bone. Post a pic of your starting position for your first game.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #81
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Alan, throw a homie a bone. Post a pic of your starting position for your first game.

Got to figure out how to. Normal screenshot buttons don't work and don't at least easily see an in game screenshot. Might have to use a screen scraper, but don't have one on this computer.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #82
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's one of things we don't know yet, I don't think - whether the starting position is optimized or would you need to explore?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 09-21-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #83
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's one of things we don't know yet, I don't think - whether the starting position is optimized or would you need to explore?

I got placed in the middle of a few nice resources to start off. Then when I didn't do anything for a while, and just left the game running with my settler chosen, a help advisor screen popped up seemingly on its own (unless I did somehow while alt-tabbing) that told me it was an ideal spot to start a city.

So at least in my first game, it seems to be suggesting to ideally build in my initial spot.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #84
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I got placed in the middle of a few nice resources to start off. Then when I didn't do anything for a while, and just left the game running with my settler chosen, a help advisor screen popped up seemingly on its own (unless I did somehow while alt-tabbing) that told me it was an ideal spot to start a city.

So at least in my first game, it seems to be suggesting to ideally build in my initial spot.

If you're alt-tabbing to use a browser you also have the option to use a browser in the Steam overlay. Hit Shift-Tab and there will be a button for Web Browser. Using that is faster than using Alt-Tab for me in most games.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #85
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Three hours into my first game and just toppled Arabia. So far I'm liking the stack-less combat, but not really a big fan of the new interface.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #86
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
Three hours into my first game and just toppled Arabia. So far I'm liking the stack-less combat, but not really a big fan of the new interface.

+1

Cities seem to be their own combat unit as well.

I also love capturing London with an American Minuteman.
Suck it Elizabeth!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #87
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Since you need Steam to run the game, and there is lots of interest, I created a Steam group called FOFC Civilization so we can chat or whatever while we're playing.

Steam Community :: Group :: FOFC Civilization
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #88
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Is it just me or does it seem like the turns in this version take FOR-F'ING-EVER
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #89
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like the turns in this version take FOR-F'ING-EVER

You on low end or high end for computer?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #90
Buccaneer
Head Coach

For those that are getting the DVD, apparently there are no install files on the disc. It will download from Steam regardless.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #91
Ksyrup

So the retail version comes with a decorative coaster, too?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #92
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

...what's the point of having a disc at all then?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #93
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

It does have some install files. It just isn't the core game. It's the peripheral stuff like DirectX.

I think the main reason is because 2K doesn't want to piss off the retailers. Explains why even a retail copy procured before 10 am wasn't playable, though.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #94
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

coaster for your favorite night-time beverage?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #95
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I think it took until about 10:15 or 10:20 until I was able to play with the decrypting and DirectX/other stuff being installed.

I started as the Americans on the third difficult level (the one closest to fair, with a slight advantage) with it being my first game. Stardard size continents map, 8 civs/16 city-states. Like people have said the game seems to look at what kind of PC you have to determine the default video options (everything on high in my case ).

I didn't look around to begin with, I had 2x ivory, sheep, gems, and deer all within two hexes of my settler so I figured that was as good a place as any to found Washington. I explored my starting continent and eventually discovered four city-states but no additional major civs so I haven't gotten into diplomacy on anything past the city-state level.

The city-states have asked me for some favors, mostly with taking out barbarians which I was happy to do, wanting to try out combat for the first time on the new game and also to get some experience/promotions for my units. Eventually Athens and Tyre got into a disagreement and both of them wanted me to take out the other. Athens was already friendly with me so I massed up five units (archer, pikeman, spearman, and two horsemen), surrounded the city (I already love the embark feature, it's so nice not having to bother with transports/galleons) and took it down in a few turns. Athens was grateful and we are now allied.

Now I had read about how it's often better to puppet a city rather than annex it with the happiness penalty being severe but I went ahead and ignored that. I didn't look up how many shields it took to build a courthouse (240, by far the most for any city improvement where I'm at in the Medieval Era) so that was kind of unpleasant when I found out. All of my cities stopped growing until I built a few colosseums to get back into positive happiness. Tyre's courthouse won't be finished for another 15-20 turns. Luxury resources are also a big help with the +5 happiness they provide.

Early in the game I was worried about falling behind in the tech race after three of my seven competitors reached the Classical Era before I did. But soon I built the Great Library (free tech) and got a Great Scientist (another free tech, I couldn't find the option to build the academy which was mentioned in the Civilpedia) and was the first civ to reach the Medieval Era. I recently checked the demographics and am first in food, production, population, and income. Maybe I should have started at the fourth difficulty level or maybe it's just the advantage of not sharing a continent with a competing civ.

For now I just want to keep expanding on my continent while keeping an eye on the happiness while moving towards Astronomy and the Caravel unit so I can sail in deeper water and make contact with another civ.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-21-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #96
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
archer, pikeman, spearman, and two horsemen

Fo, were any resources required to build those? If so, how did you get them?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #97
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It seems that one of the subtle differences between Civ5 and Civ4 is that you have to pay more attention to what you build. In Civ4, you just build anything and everything; you apparently can't do that in Civ5.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #98
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Fo, were any resources required to build those? If so, how did you get them?

Only the horsemen, which require horses as I'm sure you'd guess. I had horse tiles near my first two cities, one of them can support four units that require horses, the other tile can support two units. You just build a pasture, there is no need to link the pasture to your cities with a road like you had to in previous games.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-21-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #99
Ksyrup

Sounds like they simplified the game to get rid of a lot of the tedious stuff.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #100
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Sounds like they simplified the game to get rid of a lot of the tedious stuff.

Yeah. If you've played Civ Rev on the consoles, you got at least an idea of where they decided to go after Civ IV in terms of streamlining.

From what I've been able to play, V is definitely not "Civ Rev for PC," but it shares some philosophical elements.