Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #51
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Going back to the limit on foriegn players. There are a few very good reasons for this 'mission' of the MLS making good business sense. 1) Americans like American players. They'd rather see someone from their own neighborhood make good than some furriner. That's just the way it is. They can identify with the American more. 2) Developing US players makes the US national team better, which gets people more interested in soccer (see what has happened since the US's run in the 2002 World Cup compared to the past), which benefits the MLS as the local league.

And yes, there definately is something to having or not having a hometown MLS team to support. However, you don't want to overexpand. The MLS doesn't have the history that may cause you to follow a team as a result of its history or what it is associated with. The closest MLS team is in Washington, D.C. Which is quite far from Atlanta. In Jersey I backed the Metrostarts. But now they are Red Bull New York, yet play in Jersey, so screw them.

That Red Bull move was ridiculous, too. I realize the league is desperate, but...that doesn't seem to me to be a very good idea at all. Plaster Red Bull on the jerseys, but...changing the name like that...seems to me to be in poor taste and couldn't have won them any fans.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #52
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Did you actually read the article? Particularly the part where it mentions that pretty much nobody does it to the degree that the MLS does.

To which I call BS. Watch any MLB game outside of the Yankees and Red Sox. Hell, the Braves generally inflate their numbers by that much every game. All leagues do it. I was watching a Panthers game either at the end of last year or the year before. They were out of the playoff picture, and they announced a sellout, even though well less than half the stadium was full.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud
the worst part of MLS...is the single-entity structure.

That single entity structure may be the only reason that the MLS is still alive. Though they have tried to sell off teams, though that results in Chivas USA and Red Bull NY, which fans don't like either. So, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
To which I call BS.

Obviously we disagree then.

Also, I believe there's a significant diference in doubling your attendance by adding 5k and increasing it by 11% by claiming 50k when there's really 45k.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #55
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I think the NHL is a great product to watch live. I'm not sure MLS even comes close. I think that's a huge difference that can't be underestimated. I think hockey has a little something for everyone. Soccer...I think is an acquired taste like beer.

I'm not sure that we'd feel differently if we had better teams here in the US, but if we had more of them, like you said..we'd be able to relate better or at least, be more interested in seeing local teams, etc.

I think the places where there teams -- go where they can build the stadium and secondary to other stuff -- seems really short-sighted to me. Like, why the hell do you let a Mexican 1st division club put its farm team here and name it after that team? Sure, you get the Mexican fans I guess. But...does that really ENHANCE the image of the league? I don't think so.

They need to be grassroots. They need to study the way sports have developed in this country and how leagues evolve. It starts with the die-hard rabid fans. Immigrants are important, sure. But they're going to have loyalties anyway. You need to get the American soccer moms, dads and their KIDS to be rabid fans. So that they will take THEIR kids to games.

It has to translate and to me, it seems that everything that league does. From their bizarrely poor playoff structure, to the bad expansion and folding of teams, to the lack of big-name talent and failed marketing (What league lets its young star that gets hyped to the masses sit on the BENCH? Are you crazy?!) and of course, the worst part of MLS...is the single-entity structure.

I love the off-season in my favorite sports. Even sports that I'm a passing fan of. In MLS, none of that matters because there isn't any real system to make it interesting.

It's great that the league is making progress, that it's enhancing America's profile and that our best players will yield transfer fees to international clubs.

But no way do I think that a soccer league in America will be able to survive long-term as a feeder league to the rest of the world. No way Americans buy on to that down the road.

Soccer-specific stadiums are nice, but the push doesn't impress me as a sign that the league will have the sort of sustainability or interest beyond a particular niche.

This is a good time for a fourth major sport to emerge with the demise of big-time hockey. But....I doubt soccer is going to be it, no matter what all of "evidence" says.

So from what I understand, you want non-existent deep pockets to automatically pour bundles of dollars into the league for big names, huge stadiums, huge marketing. You want overexpansion so there can be a lot of teams.

Its been 10 years. How long did it take for a baseball league to form? The NFL? The NBA? It took over 30 years before the NBA was even remotely popular. Yoet, you think that rich people are just going to give people in soccer a blank check? The only thing thats kept the league alive this long are the things you don't like about it.

I sometimes wonder what kind of warped perceptions people have about American sports. The reason we get the best players in basketball, baseball and football is because we invented the thing and this is the only place people can make money. With soccer there's near infinite competition. Its not like we can just come in and dominate the world scene.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #56
Easy Mac

Quote:
Obviously we disagree then.

Also, I believe there's a significant diference in doubling your attendance by adding 5k and increasing it by 11% by claiming 50k when there's really 45k.

You must not go to a lot of Braves games. That field is not even close to half full. I'd be shocked if Turner field even drew actual 50% attendence of what they report.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #57
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
and of course, the worst part of MLS...is the single-entity structure.

I agree with ISiddiqui... that is the best part about MLS, the only thing that MLS has looked like a genius at. MLS is going to last a long time, even at current attendance rates, because of that system - unlike the NASL, which tried to take a place in the North American scene that it didn't quite earn by overspending.

I read somewhere recently that even some European soccer leagues and some other sports associations are coming to the U.S. to study how this system works. It could save them a lot of money and let the league slowly grow like it should.

I like MLS, but I know it's not going to be part of American sports culture for a long, long time. But if that day comes, it will be because of the single-entity structure as much as anything else.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have also read about how new startup sports are coming to the MLS to learn about the single entity structure because it seems by far to be the best way to start a new sport in such a crowded sports media market.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #59
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I have also read about how new startup sports are coming to the MLS to learn about the single entity structure because it seems by far to be the best way to start a new sport in such a crowded sports media market.

As much as I hate it, from a fan perspective..from a business perspective, I like it a ton. In fact, when I was looking into developing the sports I invented, the proposal I wrote featured the single-entity structure for that precise reason.

I was writing my whole rant as a sports fan/observer, not from the other perspective. I still think there are better ways to do it than the way they have, though, to create fan loyalty in markets.

But you know what they say about opinions...
Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #60
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
1) Americans like American players. They'd rather see someone from their own neighborhood make good than some furriner. That's just the way it is. They can identify with the American more.

For me at least, this is not even close to being true. I am a fairly serious hockey fan, and my favorite Bruin of recent years is PJ Axellson. I don't care what country you're from or what language you speak, I'm cheering you for what you do on the field.

Seriously, imagine if the NHL had a rule like this.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #61
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

It is official.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...399471&cc=5901
Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #62
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Am I reading that correctly? 5 yrs/$250 mill? WTF? Endorsements inflating that number?

Last edited by Wolfpack : 01-11-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
For me at least, this is not even close to being true. I am a fairly serious hockey fan, and my favorite Bruin of recent years is PJ Axellson.

And if we were talking about largely North American players (or even those who looked/sounded like they were/could be North American), you might have a better point.

Issidiqui is making an extremely valid point. Look no further than the struggles of non-NASCAR motor sports in the US to get an example. And it really wasn't that long ago that there was some dislike of the Russian influx into the NHL.

There are exceptions to be sure, Yao Ming & Ichiro Suzuki being two of the most obvious, but I'd have to agree with his contention that on the whole, it matters.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #64
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
And if we were talking about largely North American players (or even those who looked/sounded like they were/could be North American), you might have a better point.

Issidiqui is making an extremely valid point. Look no further than the struggles of non-NASCAR motor sports in the US to get an example. And it really wasn't that long ago that there was some dislike of the Russian influx into the NHL.

There are exceptions to be sure, Yao Ming & Ichiro Suzuki being two of the most obvious, but I'd have to agree with his contention that on the whole, it matters.

It may well be that there is a genuine problem there. But the solution means that I'm not going to take the league as seriously as I would otherwise.

knives out
Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #65
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Am I reading that correctly? 5 yrs/$250 mill? WTF? Endorsements inflating that number?

That's what I read too. That's just crazy money if true.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #66
KevinNU7
College Starter

I can not believe that number is anywhere near factual. The league can not support that cost.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #67
KevinNU7
College Starter

Dola, and the exchange rate they are using £128million ($250 million) is garabage since the really rate is closer to 1.5. So if he is being paid in £ it should be under $200MM
Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #68
Galaril
Pro Starter

The amount of money is staggering for Beckam. This reminds many of Pele signing with the Cosmos which worked out well for that soccer league
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #69
Galaril
Pro Starter

On a slight trheadjack............Did I miss the USA National team picking a replacement for the national team coach Arenas?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #70
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7 View Post
I can not believe that number is anywhere near factual. The league can not support that cost.

The league is only on hook for $400,000 of it per year. The rest is on AEG.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

Holy crap that is a lot of shirt sales to make that kind of money back. Can they possibly afford to keep Donovan as well?

I also highly doubt that Beckham is going to be good enough in 5 years to warrant 50m a year, but I guess his playing abilities are the least of the Galaxy's concerns.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #72
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am sure that Beckham is not earning $50 mil a year alone from his playing salary. He is retaining all of his 'image rights', which he previously split 50/50 with Real Madrid.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #73
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Beckham : MLS :: Emmitt Smith : Dancing With the Stars

Seriously, this is about soccer only as a passing consideration. This is all about an aging, international sports star apparently on the downswing of his career and his entertainer wife realizing that there is a vast, untapped pot o' gold across the way and wanting to break into the general US public's consciousness to take advantage of it. He'll be forced by age out of his chosen profession in several years, and his wife is known solely as a joke in this country, so this gives them a great opportunity to cash in. I don't blame them for it, but let's call it for what it is.

I don't know if anyone's used it yet, but this brings to mind the infamous " this is going to (once again) revolutionize the way I don't watch soccer" quote.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-11-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Does anyone think this is bad for the league, though?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #75
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone think this is bad for the league, though?

In one day MLS has received more press that it has in its entire ten years of existence.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #76
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Beckham : MLS :: Emmitt Smith : Dancing With the Stars

Seriously, this is about soccer only as a passing consideration.

I doubt that. Beckham is still a competitor. If you think Beckham is going to get fat and jolly and only play when he feels like it, then you are wrong. Is it a business decision? Of course. But he is still going to be a competitive footballer.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #77
Ksyrup

I don't think this is bad at all for the league, but I also don't think he has some altruistic motive and thinks he can really change the way Americans view soccer, either.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #78
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I doubt that. Beckham is still a competitor. If you think Beckham is going to get fat and jolly and only play when he feels like it, then you are wrong. Is it a business decision? Of course. But he is still going to be a competitive footballer.

I know nothing about any of these leagues, but the guy was nothing more than a sub last year, right? Is this about him wanting to resurrect his career by playing in a less-competitive league? I know nothing about him or his teams, but even I've seen the passing news about his less than stellar performances in recent years.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #79
Ksyrup

I read on another board there are rumors of the NY team getting Renaldo with a similar deal. Anyone heard that?

And people wonder why Americans act as if the US is the center of the universe...if we end up with the best soccer players in the world playing here, what does that tell you?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #80
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know nothing about any of these leagues, but the guy was nothing more than a sub last year, right? Is this about him wanting to resurrect his career by playing in a less-competitive league? I know nothing about him or his teams, but even I've seen the passing news about his less than stellar performances in recent years.

Your average sports fan knows of Beckham. They say him as the captain of the England World Cup squad him last summer. They recognize him as a star. The knock on MLS (from your average American sports fan) is that they do not go out and get big stars. Now, MLS has gone out and gotten a big-time star. Most people will not know about his struggles with Real Madrid or they just will not care.

This is not going to make MLS a competitor to MLB, NBA, and the NFL. But it will give the league credibility and something to build on.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #81
Ksyrup

Quote:
Your average sports fan knows of Beckham. They say him as the captain of the England World Cup squad him last summer. They recognize him as a star. The knock on MLS (from your average American sports fan) is that they do not go out and get big stars. Now, MLS has gone out and gotten a big-time star. Most people will not know about his struggles with Real Madrid or they just will not care.

This is not going to make MLS a competitor to MLB, NBA, and the NFL. But it will give the league credibility and something to build on.

I'm not talking about the public's knowledge of him, but more from his personal perspective - is the guy really on the downswing and is the MLS less competitive, so that he might become a "star" again (in terms of performance, not name recognition) by playing in the MLS and extend a career that might have otherwise flamed out in Europe?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-11-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #82
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I read on another board there are rumors of the NY team getting Renaldo with a similar deal. Anyone heard that?

And people wonder why Americans act as if the US is the center of the universe...if we end up with the best soccer players in the world playing here, what does that tell you?

I am less enthused about Ronaldo. He would be the best striker in MLS, but he is more in the mode of an older guy with injury problems coming over here to collect a pay check. It is just going to be up to the guy at Red Bull whether or not he wants to invest in him. He is still is a great player though.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #83
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not talking about the public's knowledge of him, but more from his personal perspective - is the guy really on the downswing and is the MLS less competitive, so that he might become a "star" again (in terms of performance, not name recognition) by playing in the MLS and extend a career that might have otherwise flamed out in Europe?

La Ligua is a much better league than MLS. With a club Real Madrid, you have several of the worlds best competing for 11 spots. If you fall out of favor with the manager, you could be on the bench for a long time. That is what happened with Beckham.

He will be the best player in MLS.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #84
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Do you really believe that the average American doesn't watch MLS because they don't have the big stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #85
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Do you really believe that the average American doesn't watch MLS because they don't have the big stars?

No, but I do think that people would at least be more inclined to check it out if the perception of it weren't just a bunch of no-names -- even if the names are ones we can pronounce -- running around in 2/3 empty soccer-specific stadiums away from the majority of media markets that dominate the pulse of what folks care about.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #86
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

I did not say it was THE reason. But I have heard it used as an excuse several times before.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #87
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Dola, and the exchange rate they are using £128million ($250 million) is garabage since the really rate is closer to 1.5.

The exchange rate is currently £1 = $1.94 and was up around $1.98 last month. The last time it was even as low as $1.60 was 2003.

The exact value of the contract at current rates (assumming £128m) is $248,785,923.53
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #88
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Dola, and the exchange rate they are using £128million ($250 million) is garabage since the really rate is closer to 1.5. So if he is being paid in £ it should be under $200MM

Nope, the dollar to pound exchange rate is almost 2 to 1 right now. As of this morning, 1.94 dollars equals 1 pound.

edit: Scottie beat me to it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-11-2007 at 11:32 AM.
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #89
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nope, the dollar to pound exchange rate is almost 2 to 1 right now. As of this morning, 1.94 dollars equals 1 pound.

edit: Scottie beat me to it.

You know it's a big story when it's the lead story on CNN.com
Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #90
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
I am sure that Beckham is not earning $50 mil a year alone from his playing salary. He is retaining all of his 'image rights', which he previously split 50/50 with Real Madrid.

So his playing salary is probably 1-2MM.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #91
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
No, but I do think that people would at least be more inclined to check it out if the perception of it weren't just a bunch of no-names -- even if the names are ones we can pronounce -- running around in 2/3 empty soccer-specific stadiums away from the majority of media markets that dominate the pulse of what folks care about.

Quote:
I did not say it was THE reason. But I have heard it used as an excuse several times before.

I just have to think that on the list of reasons most Americans don't watch the MLS that the lack of star players has to be like say 4th or 5th on the list..

I still think this move helps bring fans in general, I just don't think it will be the impact that many think it will be. Just like Freddy Adu was not.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #92
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

What is MLS's TV contract?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #93
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

He had offers to go back to the Premiership. He's certainly heading to the downside of his career, but he's still in his prime. He could play in MLS for another 10 years if he wanted to and stayed in shape. Real Madrid is a different planet.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #94
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6359744.html

Quote:
Old 01-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #95
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

They have a new deal with ESPN that is worth $7-8 million a year for eight years. MLS takes in about $20 million a year in TV revenue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer
Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #96
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I have to think it's the $250 million number because this is a US contract using US dollars. $250 million is a nice round number that neatly averages to $50 mill/yr as opposed to $248,785,923.53, or $49,757,184.71/yr. So, he's a $50 millon man.

Sheesh.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #97
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Dola...

Someone's going to do it, so it may as well be me:

Beckham now makes...
$50,000,000 in a year
$4,166,666.67 in a month
$136,986.30 in a day
$5,707.76 in an hour (or $45,662.10 just to sleep)
$95.13 in a minute
$1.59 in a second
Old 01-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #98
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
So what? I have no interest in those leagues, either.

Are you a soccer fan at all? Just curious as to why you're posting in this thread if you're not.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #99
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
He had offers to go back to the Premiership. He's certainly heading to the downside of his career, but he's still in his prime. He could play in MLS for another 10 years if he wanted to and stayed in shape. Real Madrid is a different planet.

He's a couple of years past his peak, he's a backup at Real now, out the England squad, and the Premiership teams that were chasing him were West Ham and Bolton, all the big boys weren't interested.

Still a good player though, but that's crazy money.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #100
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Are you a soccer fan at all? Just curious as to why you're posting in this thread if you're not.

When I was living in Wisconsin, I went to a few college games. I watch the World Cup, and the occasional EPL match. I also watch a few Mexican League contests. I enjoy the sport, but I'm certainly not a knowledgeable fan at all.

knives out