Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #51
Samdari
Roster Filler

TK - you have not found the Dulles Wegman's yet?

They carry most of the Sam Adams line. They probably have the best selection of beer in the area. Certainly better than any Giant or Safeway.

And Bug - going to a gourmet liquor store would do no good here. I have never seen ANY beer in a liquor store, I think it must not be allowed.

Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:18 PM   #52
Galaxy
Coordinator

What's a gourmet liquor store?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #53
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Samdari, I *have* found the Dulles Wegman's (it's actually conveniently located on my way home from work, as I live off of Waxpool Rd.), but haven't spent much time there looking for beer (good point, I should!).

I gotta say, Wegman's is a dangerous place for me to enter...between the cheese and the prepared foods, plus regular groceries, it can be an expensive prospect to go into there!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:34 PM   #54
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Zima

If thats the case, then how is it clear? Wouldnt malt make it brown?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 11-13-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #55
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Zima

What do you know Beer Snob hater? You probably drink Bud Light.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #56
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm drinking a Miller Lite right now...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:57 PM   #57
Anthony
Banned

i hate beer snobs. if you want to be a snob about alcohol then drink wine.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #58
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm drinking a Miller Lite right now...

I'll take a piss in 6 cups and sell it to ya for $6. It'll taste 10X better than Miller lite.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:07 PM   #59
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic

Seriously though dude, there's so much more to beer than people would ever expect. It's like different flavors of ice cream with alchohol in them.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #60
Anthony
Banned

i'm not a beer snob but Miller Lite is awful. i rather drink PBR than Miller Lite.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #61
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
It's like different flavors of ice cream with alchohol in them.

That is actually a very good idea.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:09 PM   #62
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

That makes no sense. There is as much craft in making beer as in wine. There are as many varieties of beer as wine. For the connoisseur, tasting beer can be as rewarding as tasting wine.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:12 PM   #63
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
That is actually a very good idea.

it's called a mudslide. but yeah, when he puts it like that it makes me want to drink beer that tastes like ice cream.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #64
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
it's called a mudslide.

I'd feel like much less of a sissy if I could just go order one at Baskin Robbins
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #65
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
That makes no sense. There is as much craft in making beer as in wine. There are as many varieties of beer as wine. For the connoisseur, tasting beer can be as rewarding as tasting wine.

which would you rather have - a Lexus or a Ferrari? that is the difference between fine beer and fine wine. but i do wanna explore other flavors of beer, i think it's healthy to step outside of what's familiar every now and again and be adventurous. so in all seriousness i know what you're talking about, there's certainly a difference between a Heineken and a Bud Lite.

i also plan on brewing my own stuff when we move into our house, i come from an Italian background rich in tradition where my grandparents made their own wine and my father in law up until recently made his own stuff as well.

what is everyone's thoughts on the "Pete's Wicked" line of ale? they have several varieties and i've always been meaning to pick one up.

Last edited by Anthony : 11-13-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #66
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I'd feel like much less of a sissy if I could just go order one at Baskin Robbins

lol, i know when i would go out to a certain restaurant (Applebee's) with my wife - who's not a big fan of drinking - i'd always get a mudslide, that is, until i found out how many calories it has. but you'd be surprised at what you'd drink when you don't have to be manly about it.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #67
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

what is everyone's thoughts on the "Pete's Wicked" line of ale? they have several varieties and i've always been meaning to pick one up.

Un-inspiring but solid. Work your way through a sampler and you may have some idea of what sort of generic varieties you prefer - then you can search out a superior version.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:40 PM   #68
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like it. It's pretty decent stuff. It isn't out of this world good, but a CLEAR step up from the Miller's, Bud, and Coors' of the world.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 PM   #69
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
i'm not a beer snob but Miller Lite is awful. i rather drink PBR than Miller Lite.

Wait let me rephrase,

I'm drinking Miller Lite right now...so I can get my fill of American beer before heading off for a 3-year tour in Germany where I plan on not drinking Miller Lite for three years.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 PM   #70
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I'm not familiar with how Virginia controls alcohol distribution. I had the same problem in Tennessee finding a good micro brew or any non-mainstream beer. They sell beer in supermarkets and gas stations, but not liquor stores here in east Tennessee.

It turns out the issue was really just a matter of local taste or preference. People in east Tennessee just did not purchase a lot of non mainstream beer. For example, it did not matter where I went, I could not find a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. The best I could find were Imports like Amstel, Red Stripe, etc. The most exotic it got was Sam Adams.

I did find the best place to look for variety was niche market grocery stores. The Fresh Market is a chain that sells a lot of health food and exotic food items. They also carried the most varied beer supply. Over time this has changed in Tennessee and the market now supports a wider variety of brands carried in local grocery stores. The high end grocery stores carry the best variety, etc.

I know when I was out east (more north than Virginia); I found a beer called Yuengling. It was excellent, I would recommend it if you run across the option in VA. Either way, good luck, I hope you find a good local shop that carries some fine beer.

Someone asked about brewing, check out this site for home brewing options. They have great starter kits as well as more advanced options.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:23 AM   #71
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Seriously though dude, there's so much more to beer than people would ever expect. It's like different flavors of ice cream with alchohol in them.

Yeah, there is actually more you can do vary the taste of beer than wine.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #72
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Its very good. Pete's and Sam Adams, while not microbrews by any definition any more, both make a lot of excellent products in my opinion. Pete's Wicked Winter Brew is one of my favorites, and should be coming out soon. Warning, though it has LOTS of flavor, something that usually turns off people who really like mass market light american lagers.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #73
Subby
lolzcat

tk - I might have missed it, but in case someone didn't mention it, try Total Wine and More (formerly Total Beverage). They have every type of beer and wine known to man.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #74
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Samdari, I *have* found the Dulles Wegman's (it's actually conveniently located on my way home from work, as I live off of Waxpool Rd.), but haven't spent much time there looking for beer (good point, I should!).

I gotta say, Wegman's is a dangerous place for me to enter...between the cheese and the prepared foods, plus regular groceries, it can be an expensive prospect to go into there!

/tk

In your area, I would try: Wegmans, Total Wine & Beverage (located off rte 7 and Cascades between Circuit City and Target) and World Market (located behind the Dulles Town Center Mall, across from Lowes and next to Best Buy).

World Market tends to have more of the foreign beers, but all 3 have much more selection than you'll find at the local grocery stores.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:29 PM   #75
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks, Subby and moriarty!
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:46 PM   #76
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
What do you know Beer Snob hater? You probably drink Bud Light.

If you're going to drink beer to get drunk, drink whatever is cheapest, its not like you taste it anyway.

If you're going to drink beer to enjoy it, say with a meal, or taking your time while hanging out with friends, then find some microbrews, because any of the big name places are going to suck ass. Corona included, god what a worthless beer. Go to Boston, the water has more kick than Corona.

Beer snobs are the elite aristocrat of the redneck societal ladder. Go right ahead and claim your rung on the tow chain there Billy-bob.

As to your snarky ass remark, I drink coors to get drunk, and imports or Yeungling varieties to really enjoy them. I'll down a few Labatt's Blues when handing around the in-laws as well, as thats all they usually buy.

Beer snobs....yeah, you gotta feel uppity about something in life I suppose, at least with beer you can ACT like it matters....

Last edited by RendeR : 11-14-2005 at 06:46 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #77
jamesUMD
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
anyone here know anything about brewing? I read in the local paper that there's a facility like a town or two over where you can go and for some fee (i imagine) can brew your own beer. thought it might be fun. are there any really good beer-brewing-primers online or anything? Or any tips anyone has? Thought it might be nice for dad for a Xmas present actually...

My wife just took me to a place with my friends in Alexandria, VA for my birthday and did this. You go in and taste bewteen 10-15 beers and pick one out. They give you the recipe and ingredients and then set you up on their equipment. You hang out, drink beer and eat while making your own beer. They put it in a barrel for you and then when it's ready (depends on the type of beer), you go back and bottle it (or they can do it if you like). It was about $120, but I got 5 cases and a 6 pack out of it.

You also got to make custom labels to put on, which for a friend's bachelor party I think we would be awesome. Something like "James' last gasp Brew" or something similar.