Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2001, 01:23 PM   #51
Tasan
College Starter

Its a shame this thread died! I just picked up the game yesterday and I found this thread today and can't wait to get home to play some.

Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 04:08 PM   #52
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Sorry. Got distracted with work and OOTP3 and Black and White and life, etc. I will try to come back to it in a couple of weeks.

I realized as I was doing it that I would need to change the scale of the postings a bit though. At the rate I was going, my Word document would have been 150 pages long at the end of the game. I still have the game saved so I should be able to figure something out.

Thanks for the interest!
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:53 AM   #53
Daimyo
College Starter

I agree... I was reading this thread before and bought EU two weeks ago (and started with Russia) partly because of it.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 03:31 PM   #54
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Hmmmmmm. I started with Russia also (because of this thread, hee hee) and snagged Kazan first thing (it was a quest as well as not a half bad move, heh heh).

Didn't go after the Golden Horde as you did, though I'm thinking I should now.

Luckily the Teutonic Order was in a war with 5-6 countries so I decided to make use of our standing Casus Belli and snagged the port city of Inger Manland. Took AWHILE to get it done though. The Order were feisty. Lost the good general I started with (well, a lt. general I think) in the process. DARN!

Looks like I'll have to do some major rebuilding before I go after anymore folks, though.

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: daedalus ]
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 12:52 PM   #55
Blade6119
Coordinator

If you guys want some more story...you can go over and read Daimyo thread with granada and i kn9ow for a fact after i downloaded the IGC...anyone who has the game should get this!...you can play as any country in the game...you can make all countries except yourself annexable...make a lot of inaccurate things in 1492 right...like Norway and many other things...any EU player should get over there and download it
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 04:12 PM   #56
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quick question for readers of this thread...

Life is starting to settle down a bit. I should have some time starting in a week or so to get back into playing some games more, and would like to get back into EU. I noticed that there has been a patch or two to the game since I took a break from this thread, and the patches are not compatible with older saved games. I was wondering, would people be more interested in hearing a continuation of this Russian campaign or a different campaign with the new patch?

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: Godzilla Blitz ]
Old 05-04-2001, 06:40 PM   #57
Carligula
H.S. Freshman Team

Thumbs up

Well, all I can say is play whichever one you want and I'll read about it. I can't get enough of EU dynasties, at least until I get the game myself.
Carligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 10:09 AM   #58
Daimyo
College Starter

The most fun I've had with the game is when I've played one of the small land-locked, minor nations in the HRE. My most recent IGC has been with Helvetia. I'm in about 1730 and so far its been a blast. I've also played Brandenburg with the goal of conquering all the HRE and it was pretty fun as well.

If you go this route my advice is to ally with France early, stay out of offensive wars until the reformation and then try to conquer the other minors one-by-one as they convert to protestant (you won't hurt your relations with catholic nations at all by doing this, BUT it does still raise your badboy rating).

Good luck with whichever way you choose... I can't wait to read more!
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 12:15 PM   #59
Critch
lolzcat

I'd vote for giving a small nation an attempt as well. I tried the GC a couple of times this weekend as Scotland, and it was good fun and pretty challenging.

First time I allied with France early to give Scotland a strong ally for when the inevitable war with England started. When the French declared war, I jumped in and made pretty good gains, taking an Irish province, and The Marches in the North of England, but when the French made peace with the English they gave my new provinces back as part of the peace agreement. When the second French/English war started, Scotland again jumped in but there wasn't enough money to invest in another invasion, so when England was pretty much crushed I didn't get any gains. By 1525, Scotland's borders hadn't moved, but France now controlled most of Ireland, and the northern three provinces of England so an ally now controlled the provinces that were my targets. This left me stuck out of the action and got a bit dull, so I restarted.

Second time my targets were still The Marches and Ireland, but this time I kept out of the French alliance. Didn't want them negotiating away the provinces I won again. This time I waited til the French (and their allies) declared war on England, watched til I was sure things were going against England then declared war myself. Got in, grabbed most of Ireland, then negotiated peace with the English to gain one Irish province, as they were far too interested with the French to bother with me. Two years later, the English and French were still beating on each other, so Scotland were back in for a second war with the English. I got huge stability loses (5 points for declaring war on somebody I had a peace agreement with) but it was now or never. Again my armies took all of Ireland and most of the North of England when the French and English made peace.

The English raised a large army now they just had Scotland to deal with, but surprisingly decided that taking Ireland back was more important than protecting their own Capital, so the main Scottish army was at the gates of London lead by King James in no time at all. From there, the English were desperate for peace, so they gave up two Irish provinces (Ulster and Meath), and the northern English one (The Marches) by 1505.

I'm now up to 1520 in this campaign. Money's tight, so nothing much is happening. I've got a conquistador, but no ships and nowhere to send him, so he just sits around the pubs of Edinburgh talking about all the places he'd discover if he could. Instead of being a national hero, he's a bit of a loud mouth bore. The English still hate us, but who cares? We hate them too. I've tried to get them into a royal marriage or two, sending one of my hottie Scottish princesses down for one of their chinless effeminate royals, but they're not interested. Bankruptcy is beckoning, I'm not sure I can get away from it as my interest payments plus my armies upkeep is more than the money I bring in each month, so I can't afford to pay off my debts. Might be time to break out a few more loans, and buy that load mouth a few ships and send him of to Africa, then face up to bankruptcy like a man.

If you don't fancy a small nation, try Spain?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 04:24 AM   #60
Alf
Pro Starter

Thumbs up

I went to get EU also after ready your posts here.

Great reading !
Old 05-09-2001, 08:24 AM   #61
Hawglaw
H.S. Freshman Team

I have got a copy of EU for sale.

I bought it Monday and just have not been able to get into it. After playing the battles in Shogun: Total War, it is hard to go back to a game that is a simple "move into the country and a result happens." Even though I am selling it, it still seems like a deep game, just not my cup of tea.

The price is $20 (half of what I paid 2 days ago) if anyone wants it. Thanks.
Hawglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 09:26 PM   #62
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Hawglaw: Can you pop me an e-mail at [email protected] ? I'm interested in the game.
Old 05-10-2001, 01:14 PM   #63
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawglaw:
I have got a copy of EU for sale.

I bought it Monday and just have not been able to get into it. After playing the battles in Shogun: Total War, it is hard to go back to a game that is a simple "move into the country and a result happens." Even though I am selling it, it still seems like a deep game, just not my cup of tea.

The price is $20 (half of what I paid 2 days ago) if anyone wants it. Thanks.

Hawglaw, if you haven't sold it to RPI-Fan, let me know at [email protected] and I'll take it off your hands...

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 02:16 PM   #64
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Thanks for the input guys. Things are winding down as far as work goes so I should have some quiet time starting mid-next week. Not sure yet whether I'll finish the old game or not, though. Tough decision. I really would like toget Russia to the Pacific, but I'd like to try the new patch too.

For those that are looking to buy the game, I saw a couple of days ago that compuexpert (www.compuexpert.com, I think) had the game for $17.90. Should be about $22 with postage.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:31 PM   #65
Hawglaw76
n00b

(I had to register a new name at work because I did not remember my password at home)

Just so that no one will think that I am trying to rip them off, I will sell it for $10. I really did pay $40 for it at Comp USA on Monday. I should have checked that website! CubsFan, if RPI does not respond to my e-mail, I will let you know. I just do not want it sitting in my office when someone could be using it.
Hawglaw76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 06:41 PM   #66
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Hawglaw, I paid the same $40 the week before compuexpert had it on sale. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 06:59 PM   #67
Carligula
H.S. Freshman Team

Don't worry... I checked that site today and it's back up to $40. Grr....
Old 05-10-2001, 10:40 PM   #68
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Hawglaw,

I didn't mean to imply that your price was unfair. $20 seems like a very reasonable price. I tossed up the info since it seemed that a couple of people wanted it at that price.

Carligula,

I think that they may actually be still selling it for $17.90. I checked it now and the game is still coming up for me at the lower price. They were even selling it for $9.90 a week or two ago as their subscriber special!

Here is the link:
http://www.compuexpert.com/html/prod...rsalisjc.shtml
Old 05-10-2001, 11:18 PM   #69
Hawglaw
H.S. Freshman Team

Godzilla Blitz,

I did not think you were implying that at all. If I had realized that it was going for that amount before I set the price, I would have set it at $10 orignally. I can't believe that this website had it for half the price! Doh!
Hawglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:37 PM   #70
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Hawclaw,

That site definitley is the exception. They seem to consistently have great deals. You can sign up (free) to be a subscriber, and every two or three days they email you a 48-hour special. Some of them are lame deals, but some of them, like the EU for $9.90, are amazing. I am now trying the stategy of finding a game I want to buy and then just waiting till they have it as their super special. Waiting on Kohan now. Don't know how they can be making money at the prices they sell stuff at.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:54 PM   #71
Carligula
H.S. Freshman Team

Godzilla Blitz,

Thankyouthankyouthankyou. Just ordered it. I probably would have paid $40 if I had to based on what you and others are saying, but... I don't have to.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:31 PM   #72
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Carligula,

No problem. Hope you like it!
Old 05-11-2001, 08:44 PM   #73
mmustian
n00b

Question

I was noticing that there is a difference in the $17.90 version and the retail box. According to CompuExpert, the $17.90 version comes with a jewel case and the 160 page manual. Is there anything of great importance that is included in the retail box?
mmustian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 10:50 PM   #74
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Off hand I don't remember there being anything like a map or key card or anything else that you would not get in the jewel case/manual only version. The box has nothing particularly special about it, other than its obvious boxiness. Mine is breeding dust bunnies under the bed beside the computer, but I'm sure you could use any ol' box to do that.
Old 05-12-2001, 11:28 AM   #75
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Hawglaw, go ahead and sell it to CubsFan.