Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2006, 08:21 PM   #51
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
The Barry Bonds fan club called. Their spokesman is missing.

Ya, i dislike Barry Bonds.

Sorry, i wont make valid points anymore, just jokes, enjoy everyone
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:30 PM   #52
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Ya, i dislike Barry Bonds.

Sorry, i wont make valid points anymore, just jokes, enjoy everyone

Dude, relax. I think the point is it doesn't really matter.

Trying to convice people that Ricky isn't a pothead is like saying OJ was innocent, or Barry didn't do steroids...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #53
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Does the field get measured in yards, or metres?

Is that a serious question?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #54
Franklinnoble
Banned

Ex-Argo Theismann calls Williams 'disgrace to game'

ESPN.com news services

Ricky Williams will continue to play professional football with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts while he is suspended for one year by the NFL, and one high-profile ex-Argonaut isn't thrilled by the move.

Theismann on 'The Herd'

Joe Theismann speaks out to ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd about Ricky Williams' move to the CFL. Listen
Former quarterback Joe Theismann, who began his professional career with the Argonauts and later went on to star in the NFL with the Redskins, said he was "embarrassed right now to be a Toronto Argonaut" in an interview with ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd.

"I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player. He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football. He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions or go do whatever he wants to do. He's been suspended from the National Football League on multiple occasions. Doesn't anybody have any class anywhere? For gosh sakes, let the kid go do what he wants to do. He doesn't want to play football," Theismann, who is part of ESPN's Monday Night Football announcing crew, said.

Williams was suspended by the NFL for the entire 2006 season following a fourth positive drug test. But the Dolphins gave him permission to play this year in the CFL, and he signed with Toronto on Sunday.

Theismann, while calling Williams a "good kid" said he believes that the running back has had too many chances.

"We have rules in the National Football League. It's real simple. Don't do drugs and you can play. It's a privilege to be able to play professional football. It's not some rite of passage. He's insulted the Miami Dolphins after they took him back and gave him a chance to play. Now he insults the intelligence of everybody that thinks that doing drugs is OK. To me, it's the wrong message to send to kids. It's the wrong thing to be doing, and the Toronto Argonauts have embarrassed themselves as an organization signing him," Theismann said.

Toronto has won the Grey Cup -- the CFL championship -- 15 times, most recently in 2004. The Argonauts were 11-7 last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #55
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone should call Theisman a disgrace to the broadcasting booth.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #56
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Nice to Theisman speak out against players with off-the-field indescretions.

I assume that, when he's broadcasting games, he'll be equally critical of other players like Ray Lewis, Sean Taylor or even Brett Favre. Right? He won't just kiss their ass and sing their praises. Right?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So apparently teh Montreal GM, I believe they are the Alouettes, he's pissed cause Williams only got a 1 year deal, and the standard CFL deal is for 2 years, with the 2nd a team option. Also the contract has some provision in it about not being under contract to another team.

Anyways, Williams will probably be the best thing to happen to the CFL, exposure wise, since the Rocket went north.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyways, Williams will probably be the best thing to happen to the CFL, exposure wise, since the Rocket went north.

Probably true. And those Rocket jerseys were on every street corner after that.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #59
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Here's a thought... The Argos have an excellent team, a very good but aging QB, and a poor running attack. Maybe Williams will just be the very good RB that the Argos need to win another championship this year.

I know it's crazy, but not everything we do in Canada is based on the resulting perceptions of Americans.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:42 AM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Here's a thought... The Argos have an excellent team, a very good but aging QB, and a poor running attack. Maybe Williams will just be the very good RB that the Argos need to win another championship this year.

I know it's crazy, but not everything we do in Canada is based on the resulting perceptions of Americans.

Poetic justice is that he's a bust, can't stay out of trouble, and the team tanks.

But hey, he's your piece of shit criminal, enjoy. At least this way there's less chance of me having to see his ugly mug on TV.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #61
GMO
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

It's a bad knock against the Argonauts and Canada when the CFL accepts a player like that.

And please don't be so sensitive if Americans don't like what has happened. If Canadians can criticize what happens in the US (and some Canadians seem to have developed an entire career based on it), then they can criticize something that happens in Canada.
GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:08 PM   #62
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO
And please don't be so sensitive if Americans don't like what has happened. If Canadians can criticize what happens in the US (and some Canadians seem to have developed an entire career based on it), then they can criticize something that happens in Canada.
Are you new here?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #63
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO
It's a bad knock against the Argonauts and Canada when the CFL accepts a player like that.

it's just weed man

ok bye
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Whizzinator might steal his thunder.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM   #65
st.cronin
General Manager

Wait, Toronto is in Canada??? When did that happen??

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:41 PM   #66
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Smoking pot=victimless crime

Well, maybe not victimless, in that can wind up costing people money if it takes over your life (Marinovich), but it's low on the ladder of bad things pro athletes have done.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #67
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia
Smoking pot=victimless crime

Wrong. I saw a commercial that said you're helping the terrorists if you smoke pot. What say you to that?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:46 PM   #68
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Also, I hear it's a gateway drug. I knew this kid who smoked pot in high school and that was just the beginning. First it was caffeine, then it was alcohol. I don't even want to know what that guy is doing nowadays.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #69
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Whizzinator might steal his thunder.
Or not...

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=168437&hubname=

Quote:
6/10/2006 10:17:15 PM

TORONTO (CP) - The axe that had been poised above running back Onterrio Smith came crashing down Saturday.

The former NFL star was among 21 players released by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers as CFL teams reduced their rosters to the league-mandated 42 players (20 Canadians, 19 imports, three quarterbacks). Clubs can also carry four players on a reserve list who are still receive their full salary but don't dress for games.

Players who are released can accept one of seven spots on a team's practice-development roster.

CFL teams had until 11:59 p.m. ET on Saturday to make their final roster moves. The 2006 regular season kicks off Friday with Winnipeg in Montreal to face the Alouettes (TSN, 7:30 p.m. ET) and the Saskatchewan Roughriders at B.C. Place to meet the B.C. Lions (TSN, 10:30 p.m. ET).

On Saturday, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats take on the Toronto Argonauts at Rogers Centre and the Edmonton Eskimos travel to McMahon Stadium to play the Calgary Stampeders (TSN, 8 p.m. ET).

Teams must declare their 46-man rosters 24 hours before each game and have until one hour prior to kickoff to reveal which 42 who will dress.

Smith signed with the Bombers with much fanfare last month but suffered a foot injury early in training camp and didn't play in the club's first exhibition game. The 25-year-old suited up for Winnipeg's 30-15 loss to Montreal on Thursday night and needed to impress to make the roster.

But Smith was pretty much a non-factor, rushing for seven yards on two carries - his longest run being six yards - and returned a kickoff 14 yards.

In April 2005, Smith was caught at the Minneapolis airport with a device designed to beat drug tests - called the Original Whizzinator - when his bag was scanned by security. Smith claimed the kit was for his cousin and wasn't charged by police.

But less than a month later, Smith was suspended for the entire 2005 season by the NFL for a third violation of its substance abuse policy.

Smith was also dismissed from the University of Tennessee in 2000 for marijuana use and finished his college career at Oregon.

The five-foot-10, 215-pound Smith was a fourth-round pick of the Vikings in 2003 and that season rushed for 579 yards and five touchdowns in 15 games. He ran for 544 yards in 2004.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #70
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I'm sort of interested in how Williams and the Whizzinator will do in Canada this year. Figure both are at worst marginal starters in the NFL, I think they will run over the league.

Rushing leaders after 4 games (Att - Yards - Avg - TD):

1) Charles Roberts - 82 - 404 - 4.9 - 3
2) Joffrey Reynolds - 51 - 389 - 7.6 - 1
3) Robert Edwards - 47 - 230 - 4.9 - 3
4) Kerry Joseph (QB, 3GP) - 32 -220 - 6.9 - 0
5) Ricky Williams 53 - 214 - 4.0 - 1

Toronto has a weak O-line but whoever thought Ricky would come up here and rush for 150+ yards every game seriously underestimated the talent in the CFL. It's a different game than the NFL and these athletes take pride in their game just as much as those who make millions.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #71
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Ouch, outside of Roberts the others average at best about 12 carries per game. Nobody is gonna get 150 yards a game on that meager ration.

Have you watched any of his games (Williams), does he look like he is in good form?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #72
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Rushing leaders after 4 games (Att - Yards - Avg - TD):

3) Robert Edwards - 47 - 230 - 4.9 - 3

Is that the Robert Edwards who blew out his knee playing beach football?

If so, good to see him still playing somewhere.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #73
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
Ouch, outside of Roberts the others average at best about 12 carries per game. Nobody is gonna get 150 yards a game on that meager ration.

Have you watched any of his games (Williams), does he look like he is in good form?

I went to the first Bombers-Argos tilt about 3 weeks ago, where Williams ran for something like 14 yards on 8 carries. Given how few carries he had it was hard to really tell, but my impression was that his O-line sucked and that Barry Sanders in his prime would have struggled to find a way to gain yards that day. The Bombers also sacked Wynn on almost every series, more proof that the O-line is atrocious.

Speaking of the Bombers, I am extremely happy (and shocked!) that they are 3-1, but now they are starting to talk as though they are Grey Cup contenders. What a bunch of idiots.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Is that the Robert Edwards who blew out his knee playing beach football?

That's him. Gained 1,199 yards last year too.
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=r...lay&ros_id=526