Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #51
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
A guy over at OS is the first to get the May edition of Game Informer which has a 5 page preview of the game. You can read his posts over there, but some of the highlights and lowlights of what he has posted so far:

Lowlights:

- Player graphic models don't look next gen, although they note this was an early version of the game and that it would be improved before release.

- No ability to replicate the NFL or NFL Players which seems to indicate limited or no customization?

Highlights:

Greatly improved animation system.

Completely revamped running game.

Greatly improved O-Line/D-Line interaction.

Many more animations for different situations that occur in a game such as a QB running and being hit as he is throwing.

Very lively stadiums that are well done.

Revamped player rating system.

I'm a bit bummed out that there is a lack of customization, but if this game has any sort of decent franchise mode, I'll be purchasing this on release day.

Can you post a linky?

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #52
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah, I'd venture to say that .01% of people who would buy a console football game give a shit about the USFL or it's license. Perhaps a football RPG could be cool with the license. It would just be a waste of money to use it in a game when you could just make up team names and be in the same boat.

I see a lot of the under 30 crowd wearing a lot of throw back jerseys, and those are way past their narrow view. The over 30 crowd has been buying and playing football games for quite a while. I see a lot of websites devoted to the old USFL and many of their games are broadcast on ESPN classic. Just a thought.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Can you post a linky?

Here you go:

hxxp://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=203806

The thread has exploded over there, but the first post has the most information. The point that has been raised over there, is that we don't know if there is "no customization." The article just says that it will be impossible to recreate the NFL.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #54
RedKingGold
College Starter

It appears that the article simply said that there would be no customization for online mode. There is nothing said in the article about whether you can customize teams/players in off-line mode.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #55
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It appears that the article simply said that there would be no customization for online mode. There is nothing said in the article about whether you can customize teams/players in off-line mode.

That makes a lot more sense. I can't see them releasing a generic game without some form of customization to make your own NFL league.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #56
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

That makes a lot more sense.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The guy who has the article already (a mod over there proved it) just said that NFL legends will be in the game. No details have been released yet, but the one screen shot they've shown looks a bit like Rice vs Deion Sanders.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #58
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to go buy the magazine for myself when it comes out in a week or so, but the original poster on OS is now mentioning something he read in the article that he "forgot to mention" - he claims the article says there is no franchise mode.

I could deal with no customization and generic teams, but if there is no franchise mode this game becomes a non-buy for me. I can't believe 2ksports would be stupid enough to not include a franchise mode.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #59
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm going to go buy the magazine for myself when it comes out in a week or so, but the original poster on OS is now mentioning something he read in the article that he "forgot to mention" - he claims the article says there is no franchise mode.

I could deal with no customization and generic teams, but if there is no franchise mode this game becomes a non-buy for me. I can't believe 2ksports would be stupid enough to not include a franchise mode.

What is this game with no franchise mode? A season sim of fake players and teams?

Wow. that would be a disasterous decision unless they're putting it out for like $15 and using it as a building step to franchise next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #60
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
What is this game with no franchise mode? A season sim of fake players and teams?

Wow. that would be a disasterous decision unless they're putting it out for like $15 and using it as a building step to franchise next year.

IF they truly did that, my suspicion would be is that they focused on making it a great online experience. That still would be a no buy for me, unless it is very cheap.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
IF they truly did that, my suspicion would be is that they focused on making it a great online experience. That still would be a no buy for me, unless it is very cheap.

Online focus = bad. Good single-player experience = good.

To some extent, I think developers are using online play as a crutch so they don't have to do as much work on the AI. They just let the players do the work for them. I'm not too happy with that.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-12-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #62
Kodos
Resident Alien

No franchise mode = no buy for Kodos. The lack of customization is bad enough...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #63
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I can't honestly believe that a sports game would not have a franchise mode. I doubt 2K sports would be that stupid. The only thing I can think of is that the article might have said something along the lines that the build they play-tested didn't have franchise mode available, and thus they couldn't comment on it, and the guy misread it or something. There's no way they would make a game without franchise mode.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #64
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
There's no way they would make a game without franchise mode.

Agreed. They already had a franchise engine built that they could just move over to the next game. They built their reputation by playing the 'We're not EA' card. I sincerely doubt they'd cut features from the next gen game. They've had 2 years to get it all pieced together.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #65
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Agreed. They already had a franchise engine built that they could just move over to the next game. They built their reputation by playing the 'We're not EA' card. I sincerely doubt they'd cut features from the next gen game. They've had 2 years to get it all pieced together.
Well, hey, if there's no franchise mode, we know they're really not EA. Flawed as it may be, at least EA includes a franchise mode.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #66
sabotai
General Manager

Apparently the quote from the article is : "Although the developer wouldnt go into detail about the games league structure, we know that there WON'T be a franchise mode"

So, either G.I. got it wrong or 2K Sports made the dumbest decision they possibly could have. (EDIT: Or the person who posted the quote is lying.)

Last edited by sabotai : 04-12-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #67
WVUFAN
College Starter

Is it just me, or are the people over in the 2kSports forum a bunch of bitch-ass complainers?

G.I. posts info on the magazine article over in OS, then gets asked to come over to the 2ksports section, and promptly gets called a liar because he hasn't shown "proof" of the article, so he posts .gifs with his camera phones of the articles, then gets bitched at because they can't read the article from the quick shots.

Maybe I'm used to the relative maturity of this board, but good lord people are idiots.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #68
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Is it just me, or are the people over in the 2kSports forum a bunch of bitch-ass complainers?

G.I. posts info on the magazine article over in OS, then gets asked to come over to the 2ksports section, and promptly gets called a liar because he hasn't shown "proof" of the article, so he posts .gifs with his camera phones of the articles, then gets bitched at because they can't read the article from the quick shots.

Maybe I'm used to the relative maturity of this board, but good lord people are idiots.

I rarely go over there (but have today) and I've found the level of maturity (or lack thereof) surprising.

I just hope the poster got that info wrong. The magazine is due to hit shelves in 5 days, and will probably be the first game review magazine I've bought in a few years.

Edit: I assume you are talking about the 2ksports forum and not OS.. at least that is what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-12-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #69
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
I rarely go over there (but have today) and I've found the level of maturity (or lack thereof) surprising.

I just hope the poster got that info wrong. The magazine is due to hit shelves in 5 days, and will probably be the first game review magazine I've bought in a few years.

Edit: I assume you are talking about the 2ksports forum and not OS.. at least that is what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I was talking about 2ksports forum. Operation Sports is ok in my book.

For what it's worth, I agree, I hope the info is wrong, specifically the info on franchise mode.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 04-12-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #70
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

With the exception of the official boards for sport sim developers, and other indie-style game developer's forums, I stay away from pretty much all "official" forums. Big game companies, sports teams, etc. They are filled with two things, fanboys and haters. I know those two terms get thrown around a lot, especially here in certain threads, but no two words can better explain the people you run into on a sport team's forums, or on EA's forums, etc. I don't go to those kinds of forums anymore.

Last edited by sabotai : 04-12-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #71
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
With the exception of the official boards for sport sim developers, and other indie-style game developer's forums, I stay away from pretty much all "official" forums. Big game companies, sports teams, etc. They are filled with two things, fanboys and haters. I know those two tersm get thrown around a lot, especially here in certain threads, but no two words can better explain the people you run into on a sport team's forums, or on EA's forums, etc. I don't go to those kinds of forums anymore.

Good advice, sabotai.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #72
WVUFAN
College Starter

dola --

Someone else got the mag in the mail and posted higher rez pictures. He reiterrated the fact that the article specifically stated that there is no franchise mode in the game.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #73
Groundhog
Coordinator

The only other games I've played from 2K sports are NBA 2K6 & NBA 2K7. Both play an excellent game of basketball, but leave a lot to be desired in franchise mode. Leaving it out of their football game however is very surprising - especially given that it's fake rosters. Who wants to play one-off games with fake rosters?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #74
Kodos
Resident Alien

That really is hard to understand. At worst, just slap in the franchise mode from 2k5...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #75
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Honestly, given my time I don't think I've ever completed more than a season-and-a-half in any console game franchise mode. If it's got in-game saves and lets me play a whole season, I'll buy it, if only to lodge my protest against the EA juggernaut / monopoly. I loved 2k5's gameplay.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:51 AM   #76
Calis
College Starter

Very odd to hear about franchise. That's dissapointing.

That being said it's still almost certainly a buy for me. 2k5 still gets played on a regular basis at my home anytime we want a football fix. I'll buy it just to support them. I'm guessing though that not many other people will, could be rough.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #77
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'll buy it, if only to lodge my protest against the EA juggernaut / monopoly. I loved 2k5's gameplay.

I'm disappointed in the lack of franchise mode, but I may buy it for this reason as well. Also, I'm guessing if there isn't a "franchise" mode, there might be some kind of story mode that covers multiple years. With good realistic game play and 11 on 11 football, that could be fun.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-13-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #78
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Blue Lightning who is the main mod on 2ksports Forum has had these comments which are relevant to franchise mode:

hxxp://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115824&page=3

As for playing 2K-2K5 and the franchise feature that was in (if I recall correctly) 2K2-2K5... yes, that is a very fun feature, and one 2K Sports views as very important in all its sports games.

I cannot speak as to the inclusion of a franchise mode, but I can tell you that 2K Sports views a franchise mode as a key inclusion in every simulation sports game. 2K Sports will also not be releasing a "half-baked" game in APF 2K8

Ya' know, you ever think that maybe, just maybe, we might have something bigger in store???

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-13-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #79
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

I cannot speak as to the inclusion of a franchise mode, but I can tell you that 2K Sports views a franchise mode as a key inclusion in every simulation sports game. 2K Sports will also not be releasing a "half-baked" game in APF 2K8

Ya' know, you ever think that maybe, just maybe, we might have something bigger in store???

I hate when they get all hinty and secretive like that, because it usually turns out being something that isn't all that great anyway. So what is bigger then franchise mode? That usually entails total control over your team. What else is there? Being commish of the whole league? I don't know if I would want that. I guess what I am saying is that off the top of my head I can't think of what would take the place of a franchise mode and be "bigger" and better.

Last edited by jaygr : 04-13-2007 at 10:48 AM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #80
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I would be pretty happy with just a full season mode since I never take the same team into a second season. I'm curious about the "something bigger" though. That something bigger might grab me better than a franchise mode would.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #81
Kodos
Resident Alien

Online leagues?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #82
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Pacman Jones mode

You take a player off the field and the game turns into GTA
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #83
RedKingGold
College Starter

Well, after the buggy mess that was their baseball game for 360, I'm not really holding my breath for this "big breakthrough"
Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #84
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Online leagues?

*drool*

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #85
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
*drool*

After the fiasco that was the FOFC ESPN NFL 2k5 online season, no thanks. What did that last, 3 weeks before people stopped answering the requests to play their games?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #86
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
After the fiasco that was the FOFC ESPN NFL 2k5 online season, no thanks. What did that last, 3 weeks before people stopped answering the requests to play their games?

Yeah, there are plenty of good people on here, but it is hard to sync up all of our schedules. That is why I'll be unhappy if they have decided to make MP a major focus of this game at the expense of SP.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #87
Kodos
Resident Alien

Online leagues just don't work. People who are losing a lot lose interest, and schedules are hard to synch up. The FML and the Madden tournaments I used to run demonstrated it all too well. It is way more frustration than it is worth. Unless you are able to play against the computer when your opponent fails to show by a certain time.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Online leagues just don't work. People who are losing a lot lose interest, and schedules are hard to synch up. The FML and the Madden tournaments I used to run demonstrated it all too well. It is way more frustration than it is worth. Unless you are able to play against the computer when your opponent fails to show by a certain time.

I didn't play online leagues with the previous game. Is there no way to have the CPU control some of the teams? Good example of that was the old Super Tecmo Bowl where you could flag teams as either a player or CPU.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #89
Kodos
Resident Alien

The FML was a Madden league where we did the scheduling out of game and then compiled standings by hand. My main point was people suck, and can't be relied on to play their games, especially if they aren't doing well. I've never played 2K's online leagues.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #90
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
... So what is bigger then franchise mode?...

Customizeable beer tents??
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #91
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's Bill Harris' take on the interview in Game Informer magazine. Not looking too good. This one is starting to tumble off the hype wagon for me.......

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...tball-2k8.html
Old 04-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #92
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Here's Bill Harris' take on the interview in Game Informer magazine. Not looking too good. This one is starting to tumble off the hype wagon for me.......

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...tball-2k8.html

"but it's hard to have faith in a game where people were apparently high when they decided the feature set."

Pretty much sums my feelings up as well. It may turn out to be a misunderstanding on what a "franchise mode" specifically is, it may be that 2K is intentially playing a semantics game and will have some kind of 'franchise mode' and just call it something else....or it may be there is no franchise mode at all.

Whatever the situation may be, it certainly seems like this article, which is really supposed to be an 'infomercial' for the game, had the opposite effect that 2K would have liked.

So far, it's looking like Madden again... *sigh*
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #93
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The obvious question is does that mean you won't be able to edit player names and ratings, but of course that question isn't asked. Here's what
Jeff had to say about that:
There's going to be a backlash, I know that. And you know what? Play the game and shut up."

Great PR there

Whoever from 2k who thought doing this article was a good idea should be fired.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #94
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Great PR there

Whoever from 2k who thought doing this article was a good idea should be fired.

Yeah, but EA is Evil - love those guys from 2k!!!

Quote:
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #95
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

[Madden]This is the Brett Favre of sports video game blunders.[/Madden]

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #96
Kodos
Resident Alien

They certainly seem to be making the worst out of what was initially a positive development (competition for EA).
Old 04-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Through their forum mods, they have seemed to indicate some regret about how badly that interview was "misrepresented." Hopefully, this was just a bad PR blunder and not a sign of things to come. However, my optimism regarding this game is certainly less in the last week than it has been in the last few months.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #98
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Through their forum mods, they have seemed to indicate some regret about how badly that interview was "misrepresented." Hopefully, this was just a bad PR blunder and not a sign of things to come. However, my optimism regarding this game is certainly less in the last week than it has been in the last few months.

Yeah...I've been checking out their forums for a few months as well, and I can't understand why they would stand to gain any advantage by not squashing rumors of not having a franchise mode.

I've read a few possible explanations(from members) on their boards about trying to surprise EA & the like...but the lack of information on the feature set, even if only semi-complete at this point, for a game which does not feature NFL rosters seems counter-productive to their cause.

I'd rather have a swarm of hype around my game over an indifferent calm which has already written it off. It isn't necessarily the case across the board, but I would think any effect would be enough to try & squash the rumors, if untrue. But maybe they really aren't far enough along to even speculate.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #99
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

These guys have done these preview interviews enouth that they should know that they need to choose their words very carefully. Sloppiness with regards to any part of their business is not a good sign.

They thought they were going to get good hype for an upcoming game, what they got was a PR nightmare. And their silence is only making things worse.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #100
bob
College Starter

http://www.footballresurrected.com/games/football2k8/

Their web site has been updated to include the 240 legends that are in the game. Pretty good list - Montana, Marino, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, OJ Simpson (I'm not kidding), etc.

No Deion Sanders though.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote