Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2004, 03:35 PM   #51
pskov
Mascot

Okay, I was going to pick someone completley different here, but now I can see someone on the board who just screams value, I feel compelled to take him.

*He is the only defensive player ever to be named League MVP
*He changed his position forever and became the player against all others would be judged
*He went to 10 Pro Bowls and reached the playoffs 7 times in 13 seasons, recording 132 1/2 sacks
*John Madden called him "The most dominant defensive player I've ever seen"

He is... Lawrence "LT" Taylor, LB

pskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:36 PM   #52
Vince
Pro Starter

Yeah, this draft has definitely been different than I expected. But that's definitely not a bad thing...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:36 PM   #53
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Noble,

I agree with you. I think # of rings can elevate a player, especially if they played well in their Super Bowl appearance(s), but just because you played on an awful team doesn't mean you weren't a winner. Considering Barry Sanders was taken second overall, I think you're not alone.

That statement is just inherently false. You may be a skillful player but if you consistently play on bad teams you are not a winner...

Sanders is a highly suspect pick...
Old 01-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #54
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, this draft has definitely been different than I expected.

From the outside, looking in, I most assuredly have to agree. I'm shocked that certain players haven't been picked yet
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #55
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

All I can say is that I'm shocked I can make this pick.

RB - Jim Brown

Without a doubt, the most dominating player to ever play the game. Man among boys.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #56
pskov
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
All I can say is that I'm shocked I can make this pick.

RB - Jim Brown

Without a doubt, the most dominating player to ever play the game. Man among boys.
I considered him strongly, but LT will fit easier into the style of team I plan to build.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #57
pskov
Mascot

dola

And would you not consider LT just as dominating? (20 sacks from LB in one season! )
Old 01-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #58
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskov
I considered him strongly, but LT will fit easier into the style of team I plan to build.

With only 12 players(maybe less minus coaches) this must be an Arena League squad. He's useless in that game...
Old 01-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #59
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Winner was a poor choice of words. What I meant to say is you can be one of the most dominant players of all time and still not end up in a Super Bowl if you're a WR who has Ryan Leaf throwing to you. I disagree that Barry is a highly suspect pick. I believe of all the offensive linemen he had, only one went to a Pro Bowl one year (contrast that with Emmitt Smith and realize they had about the same amount of yards in their careers). The QB's for Detroit over the time he was there were a joke. If he had had some talent around him, his numbers would probably been even more astronomical than they were.

One interesting thing is how people are doing their drafting. I'm not necessarily trying to take the 'best available player' if anyone could even conceive of figuring out who it would be. Personally, I'm treating this like I've been thrust into a draft and I'm trying to build a team starting with who would be the best 12 building blocks.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:52 PM   #60
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

dola

Good choice with Jim Brown. I would've really liked to have taken him, but I feel QB is more important to a team than RB.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #61
pskov
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
One interesting thing is how people are doing their drafting. I'm not necessarily trying to take the 'best available player' if anyone could even conceive of figuring out who it would be. Personally, I'm treating this like I've been thrust into a draft and I'm trying to build a team starting with who would be the best 12 building blocks.

This is what I am doing, hence why my team won't need a Jim Brown (in theory, but then this is all in theory isn't it ).

Btw, in semi-relation to rkmsuf's observation, I had planned at the end of the draft to let the good people of FOFC decide who had built the best team via poll, assuming that all of the non-drafted members of the team are mediocre NFL players/coaches. Completley hypothetical and unmeasurable of course, but hey, it's fun!

PS. Still wondering when the first coach will fall...
Old 01-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #62
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
dola

And would you not consider LT just as dominating? (20 sacks from LB in one season! )
Don't get me wrong, early in the draft I though I would take LT with my pick...but Jim Brown is the #1 player in NFL history. He'll get his hands on the ball 25-30 times a game....at the same time we can throw slants and curls to negate LT's pass rush and run JB to the opposite side.

Edit - Also, if a lacrosse game breaks out, we'll kick the crap out of everyone.

Last edited by VPI97 : 01-16-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:10 PM   #63
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Btw, in semi-relation to rkmsuf's observation, I had planned at the end of the draft to let the good people of FOFC decide who had built the best team via poll, assuming that all of the non-drafted members of the team are mediocre NFL players/coaches. Completley hypothetical and unmeasurable of course, but hey, it's fun!

It would be kind of neat to take this the whole way and draft a full strating team with a coach or two..... Don't know how long it would take....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #64
Comey
College Starter

Agreed (re: players from non-winning teams going high). If I wanted to go with a winner from the same era, I'd have taken Thurman Thomas or Emmitt Smith...doesn't make him better than Sanders. He just had a better all-around cast.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #65
Comey
College Starter

It should also be noted that Sanders better not retire when I take Andre Rison, Todd Marinovich, and Rich Kotite with my 2-4 round picks, on the basis that he doesn't like where I'm going with the team.

Old 01-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #66
Vince
Pro Starter

Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 01-16-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #67
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
It would be kind of neat to take this the whole way and draft a full strating team with a coach or two..... Don't know how long it would take....

pskov: I kinda wondered if that's what you were thinking.

TLK: I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure how many people feel like drafting their second OG, but I'd give it a shot. It'd be fun to see how our starters would look against each other. On the other hand, this way gives you some interesting choices to make: how many offensive players, how many defensive players, do I take a coach, etc...
Old 01-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #68
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Good picks pskov and VPI. Jim Brown was my #1 choice, and LT was in my top 4. Hopefully the other 2 fall another 4 picks and I can get them both.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #69
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and when I said I was shocked a certain player hadn't been picked... it was Jim Brown .
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #70
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Well I was going to take Jim Brown but I will take my 1b choice at RB...

RB - Walter Payton

The greatest QB's in the game can't win without a groung game and Payton will give me that and more Even just getting in from the bar and still being semi-inebriated I can't screw up this pick
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:37 PM   #71
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Well, after marveling as I watched the two of them drop, the rug got pulled out from under me with the last two picks. I was all over Mister Brown and Mister Payton, but alas, t'weren't meant to be. So I have to look elsewhere.

I've got plenty of other pots simmering on the stove, but when I look at the best available players one really sticks out at his position. I can't in good conscience pass him by. This is not ordinarily a position I would ever draft first, but he's certainly not ordinary...

WR Jerry Rice
Old 01-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #72
Comey
College Starter

I was going to take Payton...but then I considered that Sanders was going to break his record in less time (I think). I figured I couldn't go wrong with either of them, so I went with Sanders. The touchdowns are an issue, but I have more knowledge of Sanders' abilities, having seen it first-hand. Unfortunately, with my age, I can't say the same about Payton...so my ignorance may have clouded my judgment there.

Old 01-17-2004, 12:08 AM   #73
BishopMVP
Coordinator

There go #3 and #5 on my list. Couldn't y'all have had a run on QB's?
Old 01-17-2004, 03:32 AM   #74
Vince
Pro Starter

I was amazed at the way the draft was going, and I couldn't believe that Jim Brown, Sweetness and Jerry Rice were all still available with only three picks between me and them. I figured that someone would want a QB, or something...and then my hopes were smashed. It completely threw me for a loop, and I was at a loss for what to do...that being said, here's my pick...

6'3", weighing in at 245 lbs, out of Illinois...Linebacker Dick Butkus!

In nine years, he was a seven-time All-Pro, and is one of the most famous Linebackers of all time. The reasoning behind this pick...

As the number one pick for my team, I wanted someone who could be a leader and make a big impact on the game. That narrowed it down to a few positions...QB, RB, D-Line, Linebacker. I wanted a 'playmaker,' someone who is noticable and amazing. Looking over QB, my main pick Montana was gone, and with the quality of the remaining QBs, I realized that there were quite a few left that I wouldn't mind being 'stuck with,' so I decided to skip on QB. RB was much the same way; there are still about 5 or 6 RBs out there that in my opinion have a similar ability level. The Defensive Line situation is something I'm quite happy with...though there are a few standouts available, for the most part, it is a 'deep' position. So I settled on Butkus, my favorite LB of all time.

Last edited by Vince : 01-17-2004 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #75
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I'm going to select QB Steve Young.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #76
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Three 49ers in the first round...and now BishopMVP with two consecutive picks.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #77
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I was hoping Butkus would last until my second round pick
Old 01-17-2004, 11:39 AM   #78
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Hey, weren't you the one who accused me of smoking drugs for picking a Colts vs. Panthers super bowl matchup?

Hey, you can't get them all right. Thing is, this isn't a prediction, this is a team thing.

I can't criticize a lot until I see the makeup of all the teams.

I have strong reasons for disliking the Montana, Marino and Favre picks. None of those have anything to do with them not being great QB's. (although I certainly wouldn't have them in that order and think 2 of the top 3 QB's in history are still out there) I'll give a more detailed explanation as to why after the draft is over.

With Sanders, it just comes down to the fact I think he's not the best running back of all time. I'm of the opinion he wasn't even the best back of his era, much less all-time. I think Jim Brown is a superior player in almost every facet of the game. (save the waterbug, highlight reel moves) If highlight reels are what I'm looking for, I'll take Gayle Sayers anyway.

Very interesting draft thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing how it finishes and how many "sleepers" get snapped up in the later rounds.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #79
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Bishop, please do me a favor and pick Johnny Unitas and Jerry Rice back to back so that you can have the undisputed, bar none, best draft. Pick these guys and you might as well stop the draft becasue knowone will be able to catch up to you in terms of talent.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #80
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Rice has already been picked or else I would have chosen him.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #81
pskov
Mascot

Draft list has been updated.

Excellent, going at a good a pace now. Some picks I like (Payton, Butkus) some Idon't (Young), but then it will all be decided in the later rounds by picking up 'sleepers' (lol at thought of a hall of fame player being a sleeper).
Old 01-17-2004, 01:36 PM   #82
Vince
Pro Starter

Like you have stated earlier, pskov, I'm really interested if/when coaches are going to start being picked.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #83
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
and now BishopMVP with two consecutive picks.
Woot!

With my first pick, I'll close out the first round by choosing Deacon Jones, DE. My goal coming into the draft was to get players that stood out at their position, and I was hoping Brown, Rice or LT would fall along with Jones. Since all the others are gone, and I think the offensive skill positions are deep, I'm going to smack the other teams in the mouth some more by choosing Bob Lilly, DT. I believe having the NFL's real all-time sack leader and an 8-time All-Pro are a good start.

EDIT - PM Sent to Bearcat

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-17-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:43 PM   #84
pskov
Mascot

Deacon Jones is an excellent pick, only one other DE that I would match up against him. Bob Lilly though, well I can think of a few DT's I'd take ahead of him. Not to say he wasn't a fantastic player.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #85
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Deacon Jones is an excellent pick, only one other DE that I would match up against him. Bob Lilly though, well I can think of a few DT's I'd take ahead of him. Not to say he wasn't a fantastic player.

I can see the Lilly pick as being a little questionable. Jones there was no doubt in my mind, but I was debating between Lilly and 2 other players, but I felt they were more likely to slip down to my next round. Also, this will have to wait until after the draft, but I'm curious as to which DT's you would put above Lilly.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:11 PM   #86
Comey
College Starter

I was really hoping Deacon Jones was going to fall to my pick. I didn't expect that to happen, but oh, I was hoping.

Good selection.

Old 01-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #87
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

IMHO, Bob Lilly was the best DT of all time.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:06 PM   #88
Comey
College Starter

I'll give the warning now...if my pick should somehow come up tomorrow, it won't be made until Monday. I'm going to the Eagles game tomorrow night, and won't be home until very late Sunday evening. I don't expect to be up enough to make my pick tomorrow night, should it reach there.

If my pick gets there by Noon EST tomorrow, I'll make it. Otherwise, I'm going to end up putting the draft on hold (again).

Old 01-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #89
Vince
Pro Starter

wow, you suck Bishop. Those were my top two defensive linemen, and one of them was supposed to be my next pick. I was sorely tempted to pick one of them instead of Butkus.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #90
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
wow, you suck Bishop. Those were my top two defensive linemen, and one of them was supposed to be my next pick. I was sorely tempted to pick one of them instead of Butkus.

For what it's worth, I almost certainly would have picked Butkus if you had chosen one of my two, so he wouldn't have lasted anyway.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:28 PM   #91
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Good choice with Lilly. I was thinking of trying to get him in round three, but I see now that was naive of me.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #92
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Any draft without Johnny U. in the first round is just plain wrong.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:38 PM   #93
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

dola

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I have strong reasons for disliking the Montana, Marino and Favre picks. None of those have anything to do with them not being great QB's. (although I certainly wouldn't have them in that order and think 2 of the top 3 QB's in history are still out there) I'll give a more detailed explanation as to why after the draft is over.
Interesting, I'll be curious to hear what your reasons are. Personally I find it very difficult to differentiate between the best players at a specific position. I think it comes down to more of what the drafter wants in a player.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:45 PM   #94
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Bishop, please do me a favor and pick Johnny Unitas and Jerry Rice back to back so that you can have the undisputed, bar none, best draft. Pick these guys and you might as well stop the draft becasue knowone will be able to catch up to you in terms of talent.

Give me running backs and linemen in the first few rounds, and then Otto Graham and Randy Moss later on, I've not only caught up to but surpased someone who drafted those guys early on.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #95
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I'll select with my second round pick LT Anthony Muñoz.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:37 AM   #96
Vince
Pro Starter

With their second pick, the 15th overall, Vince's team selects 4 time world champion, 10 time pro-bowl QB Johnny Unitas!

To be honest, I really wanted another defensive player here...but it's really difficult to pass on my second favorite QB of all time. Can't believe he went this far even.

Last edited by Vince : 01-18-2004 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:20 AM   #97
pskov
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Gah!

I was debating between him and LT in the first and hoped he would slip to my pick in the second. Dammit..
Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #98
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Gah!

I was debating between him and LT in the first and hoped he would slip to my pick in the second. Dammit..

I was very close to picking a defensive player, but I figured I drafted a QB and needed someone to protect him.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:21 PM   #99
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
!@#$%&*

Okay, on to Plan B. Despite how much it goes against my grain (so to speak), taking Jerry Rice suggests a passing offense. I need someone who can throw the rock with authority and consistency. One of the best I ever saw is still on the board, so I'll grab him now.

QB Dan Fouts
Old 01-18-2004, 02:02 PM   #100
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going defense with my 2nd pick. I think the other guy I was thinking about will fall to me in the 3rd.

Jack Lambert LB

I want someone who will punish any receivers who dare come over the middle and will crush and running backs who try to run on us.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote