Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2003, 09:55 PM   #51
NAIWF
College Prospect

I'm shocked, 2 kills, an improvement and I survived. Maybe the hiatus was a good thing for me

NAIWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:19 PM   #52
RealDeal
High School Varsity

I don't think you should count the tank as a kill for the aliens. It confuses me as to the number of agents we lose. We don't really care of a tank gets blown up, but if one of our brave agents eats it, it's a tragedy.

BTW: git mee sum axtion!
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:42 PM   #53
tucker342
Pro Starter

YES! I got a kill
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:42 PM   #54
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

to bad we lost Cam
Old 07-20-2003, 11:23 PM   #55
JeeberD
General Manager

So now that tucker has gotten into battle (nice kill tuck!!!), does that mean that I'll be involved in the next European battle? I surely hope my assumption is true...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:22 AM   #56
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
dola-

to bad we lost Cam

Yes, a sad day indeed. A noble soldier who gave his life fighting the good fight. This is a difficult day for those who knew him, but we can take solace knowing that a little bit of Cam will live on inside all of us.

As for me, I'll always carry a little bit of Cam with me wherever I go. Sewn to my hand, in fact.

This marks the first time in my life that I've appreciated anyone giving me the finger. Thanks Cam! May you rest in peace!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:20 AM   #57
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RealDeal
I don't think you should count the tank as a kill for the aliens. It confuses me as to the number of agents we lose. We don't really care of a tank gets blown up, but if one of our brave agents eats it, it's a tragedy.

I don't know. Tanks have feelings too. But you have a good point, and I'll change that from now on. I just hope the self esteem of our tanks isn't hurt, though.

As for action, I think you are "on the plane" to Europe, which means that you probably won't get to the base there in time for any more fights today. If you're lucky, you'll make it in in time if the EU COM Skyranger launches once more today, which it most likely will. I don't know your ETA off hand though.

Jeeber: Don't have the game handy now, but you should be on the next launch from your base (USA?).

I'll update the game in the next couple of days, but I think the most likely scenario is that the ASIA COM Skyranger, which is inbound for Europe, will reach one of the remaining large UFOs. Another possibility is that EU COM launches to catch something in western Europe, and reaches that UFO before ASIA COM reaches their's, in which case ASIA COM would follow that assault.

But then again, this is war, so you just never know.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:40 AM   #58
Blade
College Prospect

Good mission, guys! Cam III, you will be missed...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:48 AM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

:::shudder::: Searching barns again....:::shudder:::

Amazingly Thomkal survived the barn searches-and with that sixth sense he exhibited, I think he should be first in line for psionics training.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #60
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess Cam was an organ donor then? But does a finger really count as an organ?

Good mission, men! Regrets to the Edwards family - time to send in the great grandson...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:21 PM   #61
DataKing
Pro Rookie

DataKing III is ready to sacrifice his puny (21 strength) and cowardly (10 bravery) self for the betterment of his comrades.

BTW, what ever happened to opting out and waiting for better bravery ratings? Are we not doing that any more? Just curious.

Anyway, excellent stuff as always, GB. Glad to see X-Com back in action once more.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:25 PM   #62
revrew
Team Chaplain

Thanks for the great mission, GB. I'll take those 3 kills.

But what the bloody hell is the idea sending me in alone 3 times like that?? You tryin' to get the veteran dusted? Jeez, man, I haven't crapped my pants that many times in a 10-minute span since my parents flew me to the U.S. for the first time and I left a nasty trail down the concourse at JFK aiport. :o woops, maybe that was too much info...
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:44 PM   #63
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fonzie
Yes, a sad day indeed. A noble soldier who gave his life fighting the good fight. This is a difficult day for those who knew him, but we can take solace knowing that a little bit of Cam will live on inside all of us.

Does that mean that Cam has been sleeping around again?
Old 07-22-2003, 12:04 AM   #64
Craptacular
College Starter

Great job guys! Find me something or someone cool to research ... or torture.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:06 AM   #65
Tasan
College Starter

Since when did all the aliens quit hanging out in the barns?? ;- )

Anyway, glad to see I'm still alive, but I want in on the killin'
Old 07-22-2003, 01:06 AM   #66
Patman
n00b

So does this mean Cam gets .05% of Fonzie's kills from now on?
Dying peace in me and you
Locked in a place where no one goes.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:48 AM   #67
Lokugh
Mascot

All I can say is that at least Cam III lasted longer than his grandfather. Doesn't he have a medal named after him?

Lokugh
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:34 PM   #68
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Tucker. Patman: LOL! Very funny!

revrew: You were a star! Yeah, three rushes to the UFO was a bit risky, but as I used to ask the men at Gettysburg, "You want to live forever?" Plus, you were much better at it than Cam III was, who, well, tended to lose his head in spots like that.

Lokugh: I think the medal name got switched to the Coffee Warlord Award, because Coffee Senior managed to get himself killed even faster than Cam Senior did.

Thomkal, Tasan: Yeah, you two and JeffNights had a cakewalk, even though I thought I was sending you off into some tough action. The aliens seemed to concentrate in the UFO on this last mission.

Crappy: We need you to sew Cam's finger onto Fonzie.

DataKing: Yes, you can still opt out of low bravery. Sorry about the confusion, I had been having trouble keeping track of everything and so now I make the default "no" for "opt up" when I add someone back on the waiting list, but you can always change it. Would you like to? Also, since you haven't been in any action, I could switch you to the top of the waiting list, and someone else could take your position, if they want to opt up. Priority would go in order of one's position on the waiting list. Let me know what you'd like to do.

I should have an update about this Sunday's mission posted tomorrow, and Sunday looks fine again.

Just as a quick comment, I realize the pace is a lot slower, but this "Sunday mission" pace is working really well for me now, and is pretty manageable. I'm thinking that we might occasionally do a special "Thursday Night Edition" too, but for the most part, I think I can keep up this pace indefinitely.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-23-2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:43 PM   #69
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz

Lokugh: I think the medal name got switched to the Coffee Warlord Award, because Coffee Senior managed to get himself killed even faster than Cam Senior did.

Yeah, the world was about to implode when Cam Jr and Coffee Jr were on the same Skyranger. A pity one half of such an illustrious family name had to die.

And, Lokugh...CW Sr died without ever stepping off the skyranger platform. A defining moment in X-Com history.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #70
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
DataKing: Yes, you can still opt out of low bravery. Sorry about the confusion, I had been having trouble keeping track of everything and so now I make the default "no" for "opt up" when I add someone back on the waiting list, but you can always change it. Would you like to? Also, since you haven't been in any action, I could switch you to the top of the waiting list, and someone else could take your position, if they want to opt up. Priority would go in order of one's position on the waiting list. Let me know what you'd like to do.

I don't want to cause any confusion or a lot of work on your part, but if it isn't too much trouble, I would like to opt out of my current "incarnation" and wait for someone decent. I'm just tired of all of my kin stinking up the joint.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:58 PM   #71
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DataKing
I don't want to cause any confusion or a lot of work on your part, but if it isn't too much trouble, I would like to opt out of my current "incarnation" and wait for someone decent. I'm just tired of all of my kin stinking up the joint.

Not a problem at all! So...

Who wants to take DK's place? Right now Anxiety is first in line that wants to opt up, but he's last on the waiting list, so if you're on the waiting list and want in right away, let me know. Just post here (let's say by Friday night, 12PM, CST?), and you'll be in the thick of things (and very scared too, judging by your bravery) fairly soon.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:19 PM   #72
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not a problem at all! So...

Who wants to take DK's place? Right now Anxiety is first in line that wants to opt up, but he's last on the waiting list, so if you're on the waiting list and want in right away, let me know. Just post here (let's say by Friday night, 12PM, CST?), and you'll be in the thick of things (and very scared too, judging by your bravery) fairly soon.

Of course, I want in. But if someone higher does also, I have no problems with that. I can be very patient.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:46 PM   #73
Lokugh
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
Of course, I want in. But if someone higher does also, I have no problems with that. I can be very patient.

-Anxiety

Actually, I'm on the Opt up list as well (or should be), but if Anxiety wants it, I will let him have it.

Lokugh
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:14 PM   #74
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

thinking deep thoughts...

...Will Cam pick his nose with Fonzie's finger?

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 05:04 PM   #75
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Update

As the EU COM Skyranger refuels and the USA Skyranger heads back across the Atlantic, the ASIA COM Skyranger continues to rocket towards Europe. Within an hour, they get word that two large alien supply ships have touched down just outside the English UFO base. The Skyranger veers northwest and heads for England...

On board are the following men: Jfbbis, Blade6119 III, BYU, Danny Van Halen, Qwikshot II, Travis II, Wade Moore, Airhog, Patman II, and Sublime II.

Good luck!!

Mission should be up this Sunday evening!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-25-2003 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:31 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

That's right boys and girls! You bet your ass we got some Faster Pussycat playin' right now!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:35 PM   #77
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I want to shoot some aliens or just die. If it is anything like DK's WWII dynasty, I should last all of 15 secs. Hopefully I don't take anyone with me, but I make no promises.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #78
RealDeal
High School Varsity

I thought I was on the Asia Skyranger heading to Europe? But I'm not on my way to the fight.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:04 PM   #79
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Anxiety, Lokugh: Since Lokugh is ok with not opting up this time, it's your's! Lokugh, I'll make sure to switch you to "opt up" for the next one, so you can get in the action quickly.

Chief Rum: Deep nose, deep thoughts.

DVH: It's been a while since you've been controlled by aliens, hasn't it? Or maybe, they have never left you?

The Afoci: Your crawfish will protect you.

Al: Sorry for the confusion. You are being "transferred" to Europe. The transfers use commercial airliners, which seem to take forever to get anywhere. You should land at EU COM sometime in the next day or two (game time). My guess is that you will be on the next EU COM mission if your plane gets there in time, or definitely the one after that. It was just unfortunate timing that the UFOs hit after I started all the transfers (I figured we were safe because we had a massive wave strike us just a couple of days earlier). In any case, Europe seems to be where the action is, so you should get a good share of fighting in the coming battles. If you live through them, that is.

The next mission is still looking good for Sunday night. I'm about 3/4 done with it, and have a big chunk of time to play tomorrow night.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:02 AM   #80
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bringing up those pesky aliens controlling me again. If I've said once, I've said it a thousand times, aliens have never controlled me, so stop bringing up my East German wife...er..
Old 07-26-2003, 08:04 AM   #81
Alf
Pro Starter

GB : you mentionned I was on SAM-Com. Does that mean I am injured and being healed ?
Old 07-26-2003, 01:02 PM   #82
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Alf: Yes. We're still on the same game day as when this particular thread started, so you've got 20+ days of healing left to do. I'm sending badly hurt people down to South America so that they will be safe if we lose a base due to attack. I'm pretty sure the aliens attack active bases, and since SAM COM is new, the chances of it getting attacked are slim.

But I might be wrong.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:36 PM   #83
Alf
Pro Starter

Thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 02:06 PM   #84
Blade
College Prospect

Good luck again, guys...

I will make sure your women are defended on the homefront...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:29 AM   #85
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Update

Whoops!

Looks like we're going to need some fresh bodies...

Ring ring, ring ring!

Calling The Havok, Ronnie Dobbs, Erik Flamebeard, Bishop MVP, and Katon.

Ring ring!

Your planet needs you.

(To be called up to the active list, please respond in this thread!)

_________

Barring unforseen technical difficulties, Mission 56 goes up tomorrow! I just finished it this evening, and only have a quick spell-check and edit left to do.

P.S. I checked to see where all our transfers stand. I know some people were wondering...

Anxiety, CTHomer, and Al Hill III have arrived at the EU COM base, and will be on the next mission that goes out from that base. Jeeber and The Afoci are 48 hours away (game time). Things appear to be quieting down on the radar screen, so this shouldn't be too much longer of a wait. Havok apparently missed his flight. We're calling him again.

I'll be making a big update to our stat chart after this coming mission.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-27-2003 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:57 AM   #86
Swaggs
Coordinator

I am ready to go active when I am called.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:54 PM   #87
Kodos
Resident Alien

Who keeps stealing Blitz's stars?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 04:03 PM   #88
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

The newest incarnation of illinifan is almost active. Almost.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #89
Blade6119
Coordinator

oh god....three dead?...now im worried...think happy thoughts!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #90
Blade6119
Coordinator

oh crap...misread...4???? AHHHHH!!!!!

and all he can say is whoops?!
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Last edited by Blade6119 : 07-27-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:22 PM   #91
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Illinifan: I have a feeling that quite a few of the people on the waiting list were ones that were here a few months ago, but don't regularly visit much now. I'm guessing that about half won't be answering their phone calls, which means the people that are on the waiting lists and checking in regularly should move right up the line.

Swaggs: Got it. Just to clarify, you only have to confirm when you get "the phone call" to be activated. The reason I do that is that occasionally people come by once, read the dynasty, sign up, then never come back. The "phone call" system to become active when your name gets to the top of the waiting list lets me know that the person is still reading. Since half the fun is the supporting posts that everyone makes, this helps insure that we get active readers as agents.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Who keeps stealing Blitz's stars?

Kodos: Someone is definitely trying to tell me something, eh? I don't pay much attention to the ratings, but it's impossible not to notice: 2 posters came by and gave this a "1", the worst rating. I sure seem to have made some enemies somehow.

Blade6119: Well, it's been a while, you know? I'm a bit rusty, and I forgot about the "don't bunch up because of enemy blaster launchers" thingie. Really, it's nothing too get upset about. It was just one teeeny mistake. Well, maybe not a teeny mistake. Maybe it's more of a really big mistake, but anyway, think of all the people on the waiting list that are happy that they are getting called up.

Then again, maybe USA COM just has lots of extra cell phone minutes that they needed to use up, and maybe no one gets killed at all. I could always give a quick call to the Skyranger. They'll clear everything right up, I'm sure.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-27-2003 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:11 PM   #92
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Blade6119: Well, it's been a while, you know? I'm a bit rusty, and I forgot about the "don't bunch up because of enemy blaster launchers" thingie. Really, it's nothing too get upset about. It was just one teeeny mistake. Well, maybe not a teeny mistake. Maybe it's more of a really big mistake, but anyway, think of all the people on the waiting list that are happy that they are getting called up.

Then again, maybe USA COM just has lots of extra cell phone minutes that they needed to use up, and maybe no one gets killed at all. I could always give a quick call to the Skyranger. They'll clear everything right up, I'm sure.

That always works...since our pilots are soooo clear....but a call might not be a bad thing before the mission comes up...oh...and if yu feel like keeping me alive so i can fight with my boy achilles nex time asia goes out feel free
Demotivation
Old 07-27-2003, 08:00 PM   #93
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Kodos: Someone is definitely trying to tell me something, eh? I don't pay much attention to the ratings, but it's impossible not to notice: 2 posters came by and gave this a "1", the worst rating. I sure seem to have made some enemies somehow.

Maybe the missing Illinifan who went to the aliens has something to do with this?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:43 PM   #94
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

56th Mission: British Supply Ship Assault

It is late afternoon as the ASIA COM Skyranger starts its descent to northern tip of Great Britain, where it will attempt to take on one of the two alien supply ships that have landed near the British base.

Suddenly, alarms blare inside the Skyranger! Alert! Enemy UFO in the air! The supply ship has taken off! The Skyranger pilot begins violent evasive maneuvering, which tosses about the equipment in the Skyranger bay. Fortunately, the men were strapped in for the final descent, so no one gets hurt in the five minutes of rough flying that follows. The large UFO supply ships are not made for dog fighting, so it isn’t long before the Skyranger can loop around and make an attempt to assault the one remaining supply ship still on the ground. This time things go smoothly, and a few minutes later, the shaken—but not stirred—crew gets its first glimpse of the battlefield.

Colonel Wade Moore is in charge of the following men:

Left Side:
1. Jfbbis (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Blade6119 III (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
3. BYU (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
4. Danny Van Halen (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
5. Qwikshot II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

Right Side
1. Travis II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Wade Moore (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
3. Airhog (Blaster Launcher, Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
4. Patman II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
5. Sublime II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

The tip of Britain apparently has had a bit of a cold spell lately, as there is a light dusting of snow covering most of the dry grass on the barren, rocky plain below, even though it is only early September. Freak storm, or perhaps the effects of alien climate change? In any case, the men should be plenty comfortable in the Crappy Power Suits they are wearing. We’ll be landing on the west side of the battlefield, and it’s easy to see the large supply UFO. The left end of it sits just at the tip of our Skyranger; the rest of its bulk stretches out to the east. It is of typical design: it is three-floors high, and has two large octagonal ends connected by a thinner corridor. Otherwise, there looks to be no signs of human habitation out here; all we can see are rocks, snow, and dry grass. The landscape is hardly flat, though: there are numerous small hills, and jagged rock outcroppings that cut up the landscape. It’ll be hard to travel in a straight line today; sight lines will be short as we make our way through the battlefield. We can see three such obstacles just to the right of the Skyranger exit; there is an unclimable rock butte on either side of a small mound that sits directly adjacent to our Skyranger exit. To the rear of the Skyranger, we see another hill. The area to the left of the Skyranger is secure.

The Skyranger touches down on the snow and dry grass. The ramp falls out…

Silence! Our tank rolls onto the ramp. Incoming plasma fire comes from the front of the Skyranger and slams into the weak rear armor of our tank, almost ripping the turret right off. Somehow, our tank manages to make it to the bottom of the ramp, where it spins and sees a Muton standing in front of the UFO, about 40 yards away! Jfbbis and Travis II bound out of the Skyranger. Jfbbis cuts left; Travis II cuts right. Both men jump off the ramp, roll back toward the front of the Skyranger, and come up behind the landing gear, where they open fire on the Muton. Jfbbis is the second-best shot in X-COM, and he proves his mettle here: his first plasma blast hits the Muton in the face, which blows up in a sickening, sticky, explosion that sends purple goo everywhere. The creature then falls forward to plop dead in the thin layer of snow. Nice shooting, Jfbbis! X-COM 1, Aliens 0.

We move out. We’ll split up into two groups. One group will sweep right, clear the area behind the UFO, and then come around the far corner of the craft. The other group will head up alongside our Skyranger, go around the near corner of the UFO, and set up a firing position on the near door. This UFO should have two exits, one on each of the octagonal sections of the craft, about 50 yards apart from each other, and on the other side of the craft as we face it. The group that sweeps the back of the UFO will assault the far door; the group that comes up alongside the Skyranger will handle the assault on the near door. We put our plan into action.

Travis II breaks right, for the path that runs to the left of the small mound directly beside our Skyranger. He makes it only ten yards, when he sees a Muton, about 40 yards away, trying to sneak up on our position from around the hill. He drops to a knee and whispers to the other men. Blade6119 and Wade Moore come charging onto the Skyranger ramp, locate the Muton on their HUD’s, and open fire from 50 yards away. Blade6119 blows apart one of the creature’s hands with a plasma blast, and then Wade takes a chunk of the thing’s stomach out, but still the creature stays up, and starts to try to lift its weapon with its one remaining hand. Travis II pops up from behind the hill though, and nails the Muton for a third and final time with a perfectly aimed plasma blast that removes the top half of its skull. The creature wails and falls! We swing our tank around to this side of the Skyranger to give our now exposed team some cover. Airhog exits the Skyranger, and makes a dash for the small hill to the rear of the craft. Beyond this hill is secure ground, and the hill looks to be both clear of aliens and to be an excellent spot from which to fire the Blaster Launcher. The rest of the agents move up to the Skyranger exit. X-COM 2, Aliens 0.

Again! More movement! This time Travis II spots a Muton to the right side of the small mound, about 40 yards away and cutting behind the jagged mound of rock that lies near the nose of the Skyranger. Just as quickly as it appears, it disappears though. Damn. We push our tank forward to try and locate this alien. It heads for the narrow trail to the right of the small mound and to the left of the jagged pile of rocks. There! The Muton is just past the rock mound, about 40 yards from our tank! All at the same time, Wade shuffles right to get the rock pile out of his way, our tank turns to get out of his way, and the Muton opens fire on our badly damaged tank. The Muton tears up dirt and snow near the tank’s treads, but doesn’t score a hit. Wade however, shows why he is the best shot in X-COM: his first plasma blast, from 50 yards away, hits the Muton square in the chest. It falls backwards with a thud. However, it doesn’t scream, and even from this distance Wade can see the bulky humanoid’s chest heaving. It’s unconscious, but not dead.

Things grow quiet for the moment, and we deploy in force. We split up into two squads. Qwikshot II, Sublime II, Jfbbis, and Patman II (Squad One) will go around the near corner and assault the near door. Wade Moore, Danny Van Halen, Blade6119 III, BYU, and Travis II (Squad Two) will sweep the rocky plain and come around the far side of the UFO. We’ll send our tank with Squad Two for a few minutes, then bring it back to lead Squad One around the always active near corner.

Over the course of the next few minutes, Squad One gets into position at the front of the Skyranger, then waits for the tank to finish helping Squad Two get started on their search. The landscape beyond the initial set of hills and outcroppings next to the Skyranger is much more jagged and rough than it appeared from the Skyranger. The troops are faced with a maze of small buttes and hills that extends well past the far end of the UFO. Blade 6119 III and Travis II advance behind the tank to the far corner of the UFO—right before the still breathing, but downed Muton—and wait for Wade, DVH, and BYU to sweep the rocky landscape. The remaining three men are forced at times to split up and each take a different path through the narrow walls of the maze. It is a harrowing and dangerous search, fit only for the crazy. Fortunately, we have DVH with us today, and he is at his best here. At one point, the men come upon a long, winding, two-foot wide fissure that cuts through one of the buttes. DVH volunteers to check it out, and heads down the fissure while Wade and BYU continue to sweep the outside. As DVH makes his way down the narrow, dark fissure, he walks by another smaller fissure that comes into the current one from behind him. DVH turns to look back up this alternate path, and sees a Muton standing calmly five feet away with his back turned to him! DVH quietly raises his heavy plasma and pulls the trigger: the blast slams the Muton against the rock wall, where it slumps to the ground stunned! DVH quickly runs to the Muton, grabs its grenades and heavy plasma, pulls the pin on one of the grenades, drops it at the alien’s feet, and runs back around the corner. Ka Booom! When DVH turns back around to check out his handiwork, there is no more Muton, but the walls of the fissure are painted a pretty shade of purple. DVH continues down the fissure, happily whistling—of course—Purple Rain. X-COM 3, Aliens 0.

Our tank turns away from Blade 6119 III and Travis II, and heads for Squad One at the near corner of the UFO. It arrives shortly, and Qwikshot II and Sublime II jump in behind it. With Jfbbis and Patman II following a ways behind, the tank leads the Squad cautiously around the corner. It makes the corner without incident, turns to face the UFO door, and waits for aliens to exit. Qwikshot II and Sublime II are right behind the tank. Patman II and Jfbbis are against the outer wall of the UFO as a reserve force.

Meanwhile, at the other corner of the UFO, Blade 6119 follows DVH’s strategy, and strips the weapons and grenades off the fallen Muton that Wade hit, then trots back to his position behind a rock outcropping overlooking the corner of the UFO. After a couple of minutes the dazed Muton stands, a mere five feet in front of Travis II and Blade 6119. Neither one of the two men has stun weaponry, so there is little choice here. Blade6119 nods to Travis II, who pulls the trigger on his heavy plasma and blows the Muton into eternity. X-COM 4, Aliens 0.

Back at the near corner, where our tank, Qwikshot, and Sublime wait, the door whirs and a Muton steps out, right in front of our men! The Muton is fast, and manages to get off a shot that nearly knocks our tank out of action, but Qwikshot II and Sublime II are quick to return fire, and Qwikshot II blows a hole in the Muton’s stomach that quickly sends it to the ground wailing. Within seconds it is dead! X-COM 5, Aliens 0.

Back in the rocky wasteland, DVH, BYU, and Wade continue their search. DVH clears the first narrow fissure, but comes out the end of it only face another one that runs through the next large butte. The three men have now secured the area that runs past the UFO, and they break south, to begin a wide turn through the rocky landscape that should bring them around the far corner of the craft when they complete it. Blade 6119 and Travis II anchor this turn by slowing moving along the UFO’s outer wall as the other three men sweep the arc through the maze.

Lest we forget, Airhog is still sitting atop the small hill, Heavy Blaster in hand. He passes time by counting the clouds in the late afternoon sky.

Back at the near-side UFO exit, Patman II switches places with Qwikshot II in order for everyone to try to get some experience, and within seconds of setting up at the tank, gets his wish: a Muton steps out of the exit, and Patman II blows his head off with a heavy plasma blast from ten feet away. The alien drops like a sack of potatoes to the soft snow. X-COM 6, Aliens 0.

This is no time to wait though, as right on its heels another Muton pops out the door. This one gets off two quick shots that shatter our tank’s turret and take it completely out of action. Patman II and Sublime II return fire, hitting the Muton numerous times, but the alien doesn’t fall. It darts back inside the UFO and the door whirs shut. With little cover left, Patman II and Sublime II run back towards the corner of the UFO, and call to Airhog for support. Airhog fires the Blaster Launcher up over the UFO, brings the missile down to ground level, and then slams in into the UFO door. The explosion spews flame and smoke inside the UFO, melts the snow for 50 feet in all directions around the spot where the UFO door used to be, and sets the remaining grass aflame. As this happens Qwikshot II starts to jog back to switch weapons with Airhog, to give him a chance to get in on some up-close fighting. Patman II, Sublime II, and Jfbbis peer through the smoke and fire near the corner of the UFO, and spot a Muton, ten feet away, stumbling through the flames! Sublime II quickly takes aim and drills the creature in the chest. It howls and falls face first into the burning grass. Airhog quickly loads then fires the Blaster Launcher again, this time aiming to send the missile through the hole that used to be the UFO door. The missile disappears inside, and a tremendous explosion shakes the UFO—a much larger explosion than that of just the blaster missile. Muton screams fill the air. Outer wall panels come popping off and crash to the snow with loud thuds. Smoke and flames are everywhere. Our men, by the near corner, luckily appear safe, but the panels next to them have been blown apart, and through these they can look inside at the remains of the interior of this end of the first floor. The entire area is gutted, black smoke and flames fill the interior of the craft. There are no interior walls standing, but in humorous irony the interior door at this end of the craft is still standing, with no walls left around it. Apparently Airhog must have hit one of the fuel components with that shot. X-COM 8, Aliens 0.

Back at the other end of the UFO, Squad Two completes it search of the crevices and corridors of the area around the far corner of the UFO, and all five men begin to close on the UFO door. With much of the interior at the other end of the UFO destroyed, Squad One may be able to spot any movement down this end of the UFO, but there is still plenty of angles and corners that could hide movement, and the far interior wall is intact, so Squad Two will have to approach carefully.

As Squad Two closes on the door at the far end of the craft, Jfbbis and Sublime cut through one of the holes in the side of the UFO and make their way cautiously towards the far door from inside the craft. We’ll come at the aliens from two sides.

As they do this, Qwikshot II switches weapons with Airhog, who starts to jog towards Patman II, who is covering the advance of the men inside the UFO.

As BYU and Travis II cluster around the UFO door, Jfbbis sneaks up on it from the inside of the UFO. The door sits on the octagonal far end of the craft, and Jfbbis doesn’t have a good view into the room from the remains of the narrow corridor where he stands. We do a one-two here: Jfbbis preps a grenade and tosses it down the corridor towards the exit door. The grenade rolls to a stop about five feet from where the door should be, and goes off with a crash. At the sound of the explosion, BYU stands, mashes the opening pad on the outside of the craft, and barges into the smoky entry room: nothing! It’s empty! He quickly works his way right, and turns a corner to check another section of the outer corridor: nothing again.

The first floor of these supply ships have a long outer corridor that surrounds one large inner room. The inner walls are destroyed at the near end of this craft, but the men still have to make their way around them at the far end of the craft. While Jfbbis was working towards the exit door, Sublime II worked his way to the far wall and started toward the grav-lift that leads up to the command control area on the third floor. In past missions, this is where the alien commanders have been, and we always seem to run into fighting when we hit the grav-lifts. As Sublime works his way down the far corridor, he reaches a point 10-feet from the grav-lift, and can now see into the back room that makes up this section of the outer corridor: nothing here as well. The first floor of the UFO is officially clear.

We prepare for our assault up towards the third floor. Patman II and Airhog take up covering positions on the grav-lift that leads up to the second floor. Sublime II and Jfbbis take up covering positions on the grav-lift up to the dangerous third floor. Squad Two enters the UFO in force; they’ll be the assault force up the grav-lift. BYU will lead the way. The invincible Danny Van Halen will follow. Wade Moore, armed now with the stun gun, will go third. Blade 6119 and Travis II will follow as needed.

On three. One, two, three…

BYU sprints around the final corner and heads right for the grav-lift, with Danny right on his heels. Into the lift they go, BYU first…

Nothing there! BYU looks up…

All clear! BYU activates the lift and heads right up to the tiny room that makes up the top of the lift on the third floor. Once there, he takes up a firing position on the door right in front of him, and signals Danny. Danny signals Wade, and then heads up to the third floor. Once there he trains his weapon on the ominous exit door. Wade follows quickly into the grav-lift.

Suddenly, the grav-lift door on the third floor opens, and a huge, snarling Muton lunges right for BYU. BYU and DVH pull their triggers out our sheer reflex, and two streams of plasma slam into the Muton just as it crashes into BYU. BYU is driven backwards and down, and man and alien fall to the floor of the tiny room in a tangled heap. However, only one of them is still moving. The Muton’s body has been cut in two from the ferocious plasma blasts: it is dead. BYU frantically scrambles up from the floor as DVH switches his aim to the grav-lift door to await more aliens, but there is none. That was the last alien! X-COM 9, Aliens 0!

DVH pops up the visor on his helmet, and reaches out to wipe off some of the purple goo that is all over BYU’s armor. He then sticks a sticky finger covered with goo into his mouth, and gulps down the lumpy substance. Humm, this is better than my East German wife’s tapioca, he thinks. He pulls out a water bottle, pours out the contents onto the floor, and then busily starts to refill it with the tasty treat: Muton Purple Goo!

Wrap-up

Promotions: None.
Kills: Jfbbis, 1; BYU, 1; Airhog, 1; Patman II, 1; Qwikshot II, 1; Sublime II, 1; Travis II, 2.
KIA: None.
Wounded: None.
Attribute Improvements: Everybody!
Final score: 376. Nice job!
Mission Notes:
Excellent mission! No casualties!

Airhog’s Blaster rocket that hit the UFO power source and subsequently trashed the near end of the UFO took out quite a bit of the valuable supplies that were on board as well. Usually we get a load of stuff to take back with us, but this time, we get less than half of our usual booty. And even though we racked up nine kills, we were only able to recover four Muton bodies. The rest were devoured by the flames, or blown apart in the explosion. We’ll have to remember that trick if we need to make our way into a particularly tough supply ship. We could eliminate everything on the first floor with hits on both power sources.

Danny Van Halen didn’t get credit for a kill. The only thing I can think of is that the grenade he picked up and dropped must have been a proximity grenade, and the game doesn’t give kills for those. Bummer.

Go FOF X-COM!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:03 PM   #95
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great job
Old 07-27-2003, 11:09 PM   #96
Travis
Pro Rookie

Excellent mission GB, show those invaders a thing or two about tactics!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:20 AM   #97
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The invincible Danny Van Halen, it's true.

It's oh, so true.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:44 AM   #98
Kodos
Resident Alien

DVH has finally been Unchained. Great job, boys!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:05 AM   #99
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yes, I have been unchained, haven't I. THE SHACKLES ARE FREE!

And you know what that mean's..

It's time to get kind'a rowdy..

[Insert Best of Skid Row CD.. Youth Gone Wild]

This is what it's all about!
Old 07-28-2003, 08:28 AM   #100
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Travis, Tucker: Thanks!

DVH: You were a force today!

Here are the updated stats:

X-COM II Troop Master List (After Mission 56)

USA COM
Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills Medals 15. Rich 1033 Active Squaddie 14 12 K-1Y 19. Revrew Active Sergeant 16 13 - 35. Jeff Nights II Active Captain 14 7 - 39. Thomkal II Active Sergeant 13 12 - 41. Fat Football II Active Sergeant 12 6 - 59. Daimyo II WND (26) Squaddie 5 5 - 66. Tasan Active Squaddie 7 3 - 70. Naiwf Active Squaddie 8 4 - 71. Wignasty WND (15) Squaddie 4 3 - (currently at SAM COM) 75 Alf III WND (21) Squaddie 4 2 - (currently at SAM COM) 76. Fonzie II WND (1) Squaddie 4 5 - 90. Coffee Warlord II Active Squaddie 2 3 - 91. Tucker Active Squaddie 1 1 -

EU COM
Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills Medals 10. Kodos Active Commander 15 17 D-1S;H-1 37. The Time Active Sergeant 13 3 - 50. Sachmo II Active Squaddie 13 9 - 61. Rawisdan Active Squaddie 8 5 - 67. Chief Rum II Active Sergeant 10 9 - 73. CTHomer Active Squaddie 4 4 - 74. AStott Active Captain 8 13 - 78. Render II Active Squaddie 5 5 - 86. Klayman II Active Squaddie 3 2 - 87. 3ric III Active Squaddie 3 5 - 88. Anxiety Active Rookie 0 0 - 89. Al Hill III Active Rookie 1 0 -

ASIA COM
Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills Medals 2. jfbbis Active Captain 16 13 D-2B;G-1 14. Wade Moore Active Colonel 17 20 D-2B; F-1B; G-1 31. BYU 14 Active Sergeant 14 8 - 43. Achilles Active Squaddie 10 9 - 44. Airhog Active Squaddie 10 7 - 45. Danny VanHalen Active Squaddie 11 6 - 46. Patman II Active Sergeant 14 8 - 52. Qwikshot II Active Squaddie 11 5 - 54. Blade 6119 III Active Squaddie 10 10 - 55. Sublime II Active Squaddie 9 5 - 83. Travis II Active Squaddie 3 2 - 84. Split Pers III Active Squaddie 1 2 - Medals Key: Medals listed by letter code then number of times received. A = Order of Mega Mighty Mojo; B = Order of Mighty Mojo; C = Order of Mojo; D = Star of Terra; E = Badge of Kahunas; F = Angel Wings; G = Purple Heart; H = Kodos Doh Award; J = Cam Edwards Pin; K = Pin of Cowardice. Following Number: G = Gold; S = Silver; B = Bronze; Y = Yellow; Bl = Black

X-COM II Troop Attributes
Code:
Name TU’s Stam Hlth Brav Reac Fire Thrw Str. 2. jfbbis 72 74 55 30 35 79 56 51 10. Kodos 74 86 56 50 61 77 72 49 14. Wade Moore 76 78 55 30 59 86 67 65 15. Rich 1033 74 67 41 20 55 53 70 60 19. Revrew 73 60 51 30 36 62 59 55 31. BYU 14 63 74 48 50 44 53 55 44 35. Jeff Nights II 63 68 48 60 31 63 58 47 37. The Time 68 72 47 40 62 49 56 47 39. Thomkal II 67 87 57 30 54 49 61 44 41. Fat Football II 69 68 41 50 38 68 73 50 43. Achilles 64 65 49 10 44 77 79 47 44. Airhog 69 67 44 50 53 44 54 54 45. Danny VanHalen 70 71 38 10 40 59 78 44 46. Patman II 73 66 48 60 47 49 79 51 50. Sachmo II 62 57 41 50 40 49 83 46 52. Qwikshot II 63 75 40 10 54 73 65 44 54. Blade 6119 III 65 74 39 40 35 60 60 45 55. Sublime II 64 65 36 10 38 70 75 47 59. Daimyo II 61 60 43 30 47 69 64 42 61. RawisDan 65 47 31 60 36 66 74 44 66. Tasan 58 52 39 50 39 59 56 45 67. Chief Rum II 59 70 39 50 39 79 64 41 70. Naiwf 68 67 46 50 40 59 68 41 71. Wignasty 64 45 37 20 38 61 72 44 73. CTHomer 67 66 35 10 55 44 62 46 74. AStott 71 53 46 50 55 68 62 53 75. Alf III 58 47 34 40 52 48 55 42 76. Fonzie II 62 71 46 20 39 60 79 41 78. Render II 66 52 40 50 57 69 67 36 83. Travis II 56 67 31 20 55 57 53 24 84. Split Pers III 57 54 34 30 38 63 67 34 86. Klayman II 61 61 42 20 33 50 81 47 87. 3ric III 57 50 38 20 49 54 59 32 88. Anxiety 52 52 38 10 45 65 78 21 89. Al Hill III 56 66 26 60 44 44 61 35 90. Coffee Warlord II 64 68 39 50 37 70 69 29 91. Tucker 54 42 26 20 35 53 75 30 Key: Tu's = Time Units; Stam = Stamina; Hlth = Health; Brav = Bravery Reac = Reactions; Fire = Firing; Thrw = Throwing; Str. = Strength
Support Personnel
Code:
Head of Research: Craptacular (Current researching focus: Alien Origins) Head of Engineering: Sterling Ice II (Current manufacturing focus: Power Suits, Blaster Missiles, Stun Bombs) US Interceptor Pilot: Superman (0 kills) EU Interceptor Pilot: CapnMorgan (7 Kills) AS Interceptor Pilot: Toddiec IV (5 Kills)

Attribute Leaders (After Mission 56)
Code:
Time Units: (76) Wade Moore Stamina: (87) Thomkal II Health: (57) Thomkal II Bravery: (60) Jeff Knights II, Patman II, Rawisdan, and Al Hill III Reactions: (62) The Time Firing: (86) Wade Moore Throwing: (83) Sachmo II Strength: (65) Wade Moore

Attribute Doggies (After Mission 56)
Code:
Time Units: (52) Anxiety Stamina: (42) Tucker Health: (26) All Hill III, Tucker Bravery: (10) (Six tied) Reactions: (31) Jeff Nights II Firing: (44) CTHomer, Airhog, and Al Hill III Throwing: (53) Travis II Strength: (21) Anxiety

Top Ten Kills Leaders
Code:
1. Wade Moore 20 2. Klayman (KIA) 18 3. Kodos 17 4. Shorty (KIA) 16 5. Astott 13 6. Jfbbis 13 6. Revrew 13 8. Rich1033 12 8. Thomkal II 12 10. Raven Hawk (KIA) 11
Waiting List
Code:
ID Name Base Status Rank LBrvOK? OptUp? 92. Jeeber D - In Transit Rookie Yes No 93. Afoci - In Transit Rookie Yes No 94. Data King III - In Transit Rookie No No 95. Illinifan V - In Transit Rookie Yes No 96. Neuqua - Called Rookie Yes No 97. Blade III - Called Rookie Yes No 98. Shorty II - Called Rookie Yes No 99. Havok - AWOL Rookie Yes No 100. Ronnie Dobbs - AWOL Rookie Yes No 101. Erik Flamebeard - AWOL Rookie Yes No 102. Bishop MVP - AWOL Rookie Yes No 103. Katon - AWOL Rookie Yes No 104. Mr. Bug IV - On Call Rookie Yes No 105. Lokugh II - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 106. Aesyrqwe - On Call Rookie Yes No 107. Sir Fozzie - On Call Rookie Yes No 108. Wolfpack - On Call Rookie No No 109. Breeze - On Call Rookie Yes No 110. Japherwaki II - On Call Rookie Yes No 111. Ravenhawk II - On Call Rookie Yes No 112. Condors II - On Call Rookie Yes No 113. Zippy II - On Call Rookie Yes No 114. Marmel - On Call Rookie Yes No 115. Swaggs - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 116. Cam Edwards IV - CONFIRM? Rookie Yes No

The Hall of Heroes

Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills Medals 1. Cam Edwards KIA Rookie 1 0 J-1 3. Patman KIA Captain 5 1 4. Fat Football KIA Sergeant 3 3 F-2B 5. Sublime KIA Sergeant 6 3 K-2Y 6. Blade 6119 KIA Rookie 1 1 7. Jeff Nights KIA Rookie 1 0 8. Render KIA Sergeant 12 9 9. Kerillini KIA Sergeant 6 5 D-1B 11. Toddiec KIA Squaddie 3 1 12. Illinifan KIA Squaddie 4 2 13. MrBug KIA Rookie 1 0 E-1B 16. Thomkal KIA Squaddie 2 5 D-1B 17. Shorty KIA Captain 16 16 D-1B; G-1; H-1 18. Klayman KIA Captain 13 18 G-1; K-1Y 20. Travis KIA Squaddie 10 6 21. Schmidty KIA Rookie 3 1 22. Al Hill KIA Squaddie 6 2 H-1 23. Sachmo KIA Squaddie 3 3 24. Data King KIA Sergeant 6 4 25. Alf KIA Rookie 1 2 26. Mr. Bug II KIA Squaddie 5 1 K-1Y 27. Daimyo KIA Squaddie 3 0 28. 3ric KIA Squaddie 2 1 H-1; K-1Y 29. Raven Hawk KIA Captain 15 11 - 30. Sterling Ice KIA Rookie 1 0 32. Chief Rum KIA Squaddie 4 3 33. Qwikshot KIA Rookie 1 0 E-1G; F-1S 34. Cam Edwards II KIA Squaddie 7 7 - 36. Blade 6119 II KIA Rookie 1 0 38. Split Personality KIA Rookie 1 0 40. Toddiec II KIA Squaddie 4 3 42. Blade KIA Sergeant 5 4 47. Illinifan II KIA Squaddie 4 2 48. Fonzie KIA Squaddie 4 5 49. Lokugh KIA Sergeant 9 8 - 51. Kerillini II KIA Squaddie 8 3 - 53. Alf II KIA Rookie 1 2 56. Schmidty II KIA Rookie 1 0 57. Split Pers. II KIA Sergeant 4 4 58. 3ric II KIA Squaddie 5 1 - 60. Illinifan III MIA Squaddie 2 0 62. Data King II KIA Squaddie 3 2 - 63. Mr. Bug III KIA Squaddie 5 3 - 64. Japherwaki KIA Rookie 3 0 - 65. Al Hill II KIA Sergeant 3 2 - 68. Toddiec III KIA Rookie 3 0 - 69. Zippy KIA Squaddie 9 5 - 72. Coffee Warlord KIA Rookie 1 1 77. PsychoCop KIA Rookie 2 0 - 79. Blade II KIA Rookie 3 0 - 80. Illinifan IV KIA Rookie 3 0 - 81. Andone KIA Rookie 3 1 - 82. Condors KIA Squaddie 6 3 - 85. Cam Edwards III KIA Squaddie 2 4 -

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-28-2003 at 11:06 PM.