Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Does anyone have harder stuff to recommend? I don't mind the softer rock, but I haven't heard any good new harder rock in awhile.

I'm not sure how hard you're talking, but...

The new Death Angel comes out on the 26th, and it's so fucking good I'm at a loss for words. Not quite Act III, but a close second so far. They are an old-school thrash band from the 80s reunited, and this is their second album since getting back together. They were only teens for most of their first run together, so they're all still under 35-40 at this point. Insanely good.

Protest the Hero's new one is magnificent, but you have to be willing to deal with emo vocals and crazy music that just goes nonstop. Honestly, listening to the album all the way through tires me out.

Ayreon's long-awaited follow-up to The Human Equation, 01011001, came out recently. Kinda like space-prog - crunchy guitars, lots of spacy keyboard, and a bunch of guest vocalists from the prog metal world.

I'm patiently waiting for the new Opeth, Watershed, which is supposed to drop in May. Probably my favorite band going right now. Progressive death metal - they mix growly vocals with clean melodies and harmonies, and death metal brutality with acoustic folk and all sorts of things in between. The new one supposedly includes female vocals, orchestra, keyboards, and some of the heaviest stuff they've ever done. One of the truly innovative, genre-defying metal bands of our time. Once I was able to make the conceptual leap to accepting death metal vocals, I was rewarded by embracing this band as one of my favorites. Not for everybody, though.

As far as "hard rock," I can't say there's much out there that I really think is worth listening to. I seem to be gravitating to the extremes - light pop/rock or singer/songwriter, or extreme heavy metal/thrash.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-15-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #52
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Word... except, I have read that they've grown up a bit and there's a bunch of Beatles-esque sound to their new album, less fast-paced stuff. Which is cool, I guess, but that's what hooked me on them was their pace, it was so different... you can youtube their first single off the cd, Nine in the Afternoon.

Panic at the Disco is a band I don't know too much about, other than they are tied to Fall Out Boy, which makes me skeptical, but I've heard the first single, and if the rest of it is as good and the production is the same (kinda over the top Beatlesque sound), I might have to give it a shot.

Speaking of power pop, from last year, my top two albums were Jackdaw4's Bipolar Diversions and The Nines' Gran Jukle's Field. In fact, I'd go so far as to put Bipolar Diversions up against any post-Spilt Milk release as one of the best power pop albums of the past 15 years or so. Brilliant stuff.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-15-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't know there was new Opeth on the horizon. But that's very exciting to read.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Also, if you haven't heard My Brightest Diamond's 2006 release called Bring Me The Workhorse, then you should. It's downtempo indie/folkish stuff. But it's just outstanding stuff worth replaying over and over.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #55
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I didn't know there was new Opeth on the horizon. But that's very exciting to read.

Looks like in the US, is may be early June. Here's a press release about it:

‘Watershed’ has been revealed as the title of the forthcoming Opeth album, due for a mid year release.

New York, NY: Swedish progressive metal titans Opeth, often credited as being forward thinkers who are a genre of one, are proud to announce Watershed as the title of their forthcoming album, due out on Roadrunner Records on June 2, 2008.

The album, recorded in the band’s native Sweden and produced by frontman/guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt and Jens Bogren, is a masterwork that follows the time-honored Opeth tradition; it’s modern yet timeless, progressive yet paying homage to the sounds of classic rock. Watershed is truly one of those special records that cycles through a variety of moods, speeds and textures, complete with lots of subtleties and nuances of sound. Because of its expansive scope, Watershed is destined to land the album atop many “Best of 2008” lists. Album opener “Coil” is a gorgeous acoustic number, featuring local folk vocalist Nathalie Lorichs, while “Heir Apparent” will knock listeners unconscious with its blunt force metal. Always one to defy the rules, Opeth posits sung vocals over artillery-like blast beats on “The Lotus Eater,” cementing their reputation as innovators and redefiners.

Watershed combines elements of modern metal, prog rock, free jazz and hints of European folk music, all of which come together for a seamless, unique collection of songs that will leave an indelible mark upon all who listen. Watershed is the first Opeth release to feature new guitarist Fredrik Akesson and drummer Martin Axenrot and is the band’s second effort for Roadrunner Records. Watershed is the eagerly awaited follow up to 2005’s critically acclaimed Ghost Reveries.

The complete track listing is as follows: “Coil,” “Heir Apparent,” “The Lotus Eater,” “Burden,” “Porcelain Heart,” “Hessian Peel” and “Hex Omega.”

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-15-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #56
Ksyrup

Oh, another great new, heavier release is To-Mera's Delusions. Frankly, I don't know if it's actually been released yet or not, but I've got it. To-Mera is like a cross between a goth metal band like Lacuna Coil, and Dream Theater - complex prog metal with female vocals and a distinct jazz component.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #57
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Whoever mentioned Band of Horses in the "What the hell are you listening to?... 2007 edition"... thank you! I bought "Cease to Begin" about a month ago and it's been what I've listened to 90% of the time since then. "Ode to LRC", "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands", and "Islands on the Coast" are all fantastic songs. Really, not a bad song in the bunch. I think it's my pick for best album of 2007.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #58
Ksyrup

Hey Cam, good news below, although I'm not sure when I'll actually find a copy to hear it:

Roger Joseph Manning Jr.
NEW ALBUM OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

OK, this is it folks. I know, I know, I can't believe it either. It's been almost exactly one year in the making. Don't ask me how or why, just know that I wanted to give you the highest end result my abilities and fantasies could offer up at this point in my creative evolution. It's called Catnip Dynamite. It's my latest solo effort and it is scheduled for an official release date of March 19th, 2008. It will once again be coming out on the wonderful Pony Canyon label in Japan. Now for those of you who refuse to play the ridiculously high import price on Amazon, and I can hardly blame you, I'm going to need your help here: Due to circumstances I won't bore you with, I find myself with no home/label for this record either here in the USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc. So any label suggestions, ideas, contacts you might have on this front would be greatly appreciated. The sooner I get an avenue of release for this new album domestically and abroad, the quicker and more affordable it comes to you.

I am so incredibly happy to be sharing this new collection of material with all of you at this time. It is another snapshot lyrically of where my head and heart have been throughout the past year juxtaposed against many musical ideas who's genesis spans the last 20 years or so. There are song ideas on this new album who's roots go back literally as far as 1985. I distinctly remember as "Van Hagar" had just formed and I was particularly disturbed by this. Anyway, strap yourselves in for another roller coaster ride of sonic and emotional ups and downs and distraction in the greatest sense of the word. If I can aurally assist you in time-traveling out of your own heads for 3-5 minutes and then gently place you back into your day to day driver's seat with a little ecstasy still buzzing around in your heart center, then my mission has been accomplished. Thanks again friends for all of your loyalty and for listening.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #59
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Whoever mentioned Band of Horses in the "What the hell are you listening to?... 2007 edition"... thank you! I bought "Cease to Begin" about a month ago and it's been what I've listened to 90% of the time since then. "Ode to LRC", "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands", and "Islands on the Coast" are all fantastic songs. Really, not a bad song in the bunch. I think it's my pick for best album of 2007.

If you think you like it now, just wait a while. It just sounds better as time goes on. It really is just stellar stuff.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #60
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Hey Cam, good news below, although I'm not sure when I'll actually find a copy to hear it:

Roger Joseph Manning Jr.
NEW ALBUM OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

Nice. Personally, I'd rather hear some new stuff from Andy Sturmer, as is voice is far less annoying than RJM's is to me, but I'll still pick this up. I'm kinda surprised that he doesn't have some sort of label here, even one of the smaller ones. Even more suprised that he's resorting to asking fans for help. Didn't he used to be Beck's keyboardist? I'd be sucking up to Beck right about now.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #61
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
If you think you like it now, just wait a while. It just sounds better as time goes on. It really is just stellar stuff.

Dola, yes it is. I love the unique guitar sound on "No One's Gonna Love You" (which I forgot to mention earlier!), love the way the vocals mesh with the music (though my wife finds the singer to be incredibly whiny), and most importantly, I just love the FEEL of the music. "Detlef Schrempf" is a great song to drive home to on the empty interstate after work at night and "The General Specific" is a fun song to play loudly with the windows down and the sunroof open. It's all good driving music... I just wish I could sing along better.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #62
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'd like to second the Band of Horses recommendation. Good stuff.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #63
korme
Go Reds

What kind of music is BoH?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
What kind of music is BoH?

It's indie. They're on Sub Pop. Umm...it has a distinct sound, really. It has a folkish-country tinge to it.

Detlef Schrempf is awesome.

Cigarettes, Wedding Bands was the song that really turned me on to them. Both on the same album (Cease To Begin), but shows the versatility.

I'd heard them in the past, but didn't really remember that stuff. They stepped their game up big on this release.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #65
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

DC, that's not "Detlef Schrempf". That's "Marry Song" (I think). "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" is correct though.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #66
korme
Go Reds

too countryish for my blood I think...
Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #67
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ween
Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #68
Ksyrup

Quote:
Nice. Personally, I'd rather hear some new stuff from Andy Sturmer, as is voice is far less annoying than RJM's is to me, but I'll still pick this up. I'm kinda surprised that he doesn't have some sort of label here, even one of the smaller ones. Even more suprised that he's resorting to asking fans for help. Didn't he used to be Beck's keyboardist? I'd be sucking up to Beck right about now.

Best I can do for you is Andy singing We Are the Champions on a cover of the song he did with Lyle Workman and Matt Chamberlain. You know how Andy is... that's about as close as it gets. Although funny enough, the new Winnie the Pooh show on Disney that he writes the music for has a few trademark Andy moments, especially on the Christmas DVD we bought my daughter. When I heard the songs, I couldn't believe how easy it was to tell he wrote them.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #69
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Best I can do for you is Andy singing We Are the Champions on a cover of the song he did with Lyle Workman and Matt Chamberlain. You know how Andy is... that's about as close as it gets. Although funny enough, the new Winnie the Pooh show on Disney that he writes the music for has a few trademark Andy moments, especially on the Christmas DVD we bought my daughter. When I heard the songs, I couldn't believe how easy it was to tell he wrote them.

I know! The twins watch that show and I love it because I get to hear Stumer songs, even kid songs. Too bad Kay Hanley sings the theme. Actually it's too bad Kay Hanley doesn't dress up in a sexy Tigger outfit and prance around my living room, but for the purposes of this discussion we can disregard that little unfulfilled longing of mine.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #70
Joe
Pro Starter

I've been listening to the first Jack's Mannequin album a bit, "Everything in Transit" as I eagerly await the follow up on April 22, "The Glass Passenger."
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #71
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
DC, that's not "Detlef Schrempf". That's "Marry Song" (I think). "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" is correct though.

It is the Marry Song. My bad. I just embedded it, didn't listen to it. Good catch. I fixed it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #72
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I've been listening to the first Jack's Mannequin album a bit, "Everything in Transit" as I eagerly await the follow up on April 22, "The Glass Passenger."

+1, I love SC/Jack's
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #73
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

LOL, I caught it because I love Detlef Schrempf and wanted to listen to it. And then I went "Hey, that's the wrong song!" But now I have my headphones and am happily chilling at my keyboard. Thanks for fixing it!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Far-Less, A Toast To Bad Taste is the LP. (Think some sort of fusion of Dredg, Brand New and Muse. If that's possible...)

The title track is good.

But I happen to like this song, Forever And A Day the most. It's mellow.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #75
samifan24
Pro Starter

I only started listening to Band of Horses when they released "Cease to Begin," but I'm glad I found them. Great stuff.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #76
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I only started listening to Band of Horses when they released "Cease to Begin," but I'm glad I found them. Great stuff.

I think "Our Swords" is a close to perfect song.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:16 AM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?

Just good ol' rock music. No seeds, no stems, no sticks.

Hot Chip - Made In The Dark

Lots of folks are raving about it and I hadn't listened to it until now. There are a few pretty good songs on there and it might be even better after I run through it a few more times.

Here's In The Privacy Of Our Love
Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #78
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

For the hip hop crowd - Substantial has a new one out called "Sacrifice" - there are a couple songs I am not really into yet, but the rest of the disc is solid hip hop, like a mix between Common and Outkast. The beats are one of the better things about this one though.

Also, Yeasayer "All Hour Cymbals" is outstanding indie-style rock, Radiohead/ Modest Mouse influences, but almost undefinable.. very unique music. The singer goes from Perry Farrell to Roy Orbison to Chris Isaak with stops in between and lots of harmonies- a very classic rock vibe, IMO. Its something that doesn't sound far removed from the late 60's. There is some really really great stuff on this cd.. I think this band will be a household name in time.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #79
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
too countryish for my blood I think...

I know you like Death Cab. So trust me when I say go ahead and take the plunge on Band of Horses. I sincerely doubt you'll be disappointed.

(so i am 3rding or 4thing Band of Horses here).

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-17-2008 at 10:34 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #80
samifan24
Pro Starter

Speaking of Death Cab, they have a new album, "Narrow Stairs," coming out in May.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #81
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Speaking of Death Cab, they have a new album, "Narrow Stairs," coming out in May.

Yeah, definitely looking forward to this one. I'd say one more very good album from them and they enter my personal pantheon of "great" bands.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #82
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I know you like Death Cab. So trust me when I say go ahead and take the plunge on Band of Horses. I sincerely doubt you'll be disappointed.

(so i am 3rding or 4thing Band of Horses here).

Something a little older for Shorty. No twangy aftertaste.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #83
korme
Go Reds

Just listened to Vampire Weekend's album. My first thought is that the lead singer is trying desperately hard to sound British
Old 02-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #84
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?

I really like British Sea Power....The Decline and Open Season
were really solid albums...."It Ended On An Oily Stage" and "Apologies TO Insect Life" are my two favorite songs by them. Gonna have to pick up the new one.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #85
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
best single I've heard in a while:

MGMT - "Time To Pretend"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE

You're not supposed to take drugs before you watch that video, are you? i'm still trying to classify it: Kubrick films a sequel to 300?
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #86
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Just listened to Vampire Weekend's album. My first thought is that the lead singer is trying desperately hard to sound British

I would say desperately like Paul Simon if anything.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #87
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

Something a little older for Shorty. No twangy aftertaste.

I repeat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I think "Our Swords" is a close to perfect song.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #88
Drake
assmaster

Ooh, ooh, new one:

If you get a chance, the latest Blue October CD (Foiled) is freaking awesome. Sort of a Pink Floyd-ish thing that alternates between weird pop and heavy. Very difficult to classify. Very cool.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #89
Schmidty
Coordinator

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Real Emotional Trash

Amazing stuff as usual from one of my musical heros. And there's a free preview of the album on his myspace. Woo!

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-29-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Fixed Malkmus's spelling. Stupid keyboard.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #90
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Has anybody picked up the new Mike Doughty (former lead singer of Soul Coughing) cd? I know it came out this past week, but I haven't had a chance to listen to a preview yet. Wondering if it's more like his last album or if it's just him and a guitar like his first couple of solo cd's.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #91
Ksyrup

Hey Cam, you should check out a guy by the name of Paul Steel. He has an album coming out called Moon Rock that is fantastic, in a Brian Wilson/XTC/Wondermints/ELO vein. Highly recommended.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #92
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The new Death Angel comes out on the 26th, and it's so fucking good I'm at a loss for words. Not quite Act III, but a close second so far. They are an old-school thrash band from the 80s reunited, and this is their second album since getting back together. They were only teens for most of their first run together, so they're all still under 35-40 at this point. Insanely good.
Far be it from me to critique you after all the good music you've put me on to, but calling them a thrash band is underselling them IMO. I usually think of Thrash bands as 2 minute songs with unintelligible lyrics. Some of Death Angel's stuff could easily fit into a Metallica or even RHCP cd imo.
Quote:
Protest the Hero's new one is magnificent, but you have to be willing to deal with emo vocals and crazy music that just goes nonstop. Honestly, listening to the album all the way through tires me out.
PtH is ridiculous and I love them. Fortress might be tighter than the 1st album, but not only did Kezia have the concept, it also has more songs on my iPod - Blindfolds Aside/Turn Soonest to the Sea/She Who Mars the Skin of Gods/No Stars Over Bethlehem are perfect. Fortress only has 2 so far.

I can see how some people might get annoyed by the emo-ish vocals at times, but IMO that's much better than normal death metal screamo. Plus they're so technically proficient it's worth a listen regardless. One more thing in their favor - when I saw them live, they actually pulled off the layering of guitars and hit the notes/tempo changes. Unfortunately, they aren't coming northeast of Pittsburgh on tour again until at least August.
Quote:
Ayreon's long-awaited follow-up to The Human Equation, 01011001, came out recently. Kinda like space-prog - crunchy guitars, lots of spacy keyboard, and a bunch of guest vocalists from the prog metal world.
Ayreon is alright, but the prog-rock band I've really started loving recently is Avantasia. Some German guy (Tobias Sommet?) put it together with a lot of his friends in the metal scene, and its phenomenal. Clean vocals, hard rock with a lot of breakdowns and an operatic scope. I've even heard one of the songs on the radio around here once, so maybe it'll get some publicity.

Oh, also, these probably/mostly aren't 2008 releases, but Lupe Fiasco's album from last year was fantastic, Guru had a good one, and for a rap group out of the ordinary for these lists, UGK's double album was great for that style, although I like Chamillionaire's mixtapes and T.I.'s CDs more. Also, it's kind of embarrassing because I despise the game and have never played it, but I was introduced to Dragonforce through Guitar Hero and all my friends failing at their song.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-09-2008 at 07:27 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #93
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The newest things I've reviewed include:

Hi-Tek: Hi-Teknology 3
The third solo album from producer who comprised the former duo of Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek is another collection of beats and “various artists” mostly notables from the underground and the aforementioned Talib Kweli, who recently went above ground on his major label release on Def Jam.

Hi-Tek has always been one of the better producers in the game. He does an excellent job of using his beats to give excellent emcees an ability to take them and make them do what they need to. A lot of producers are really intent on letting you know 1) who they are 2) being all up in the video and/or 3) having beats that almost drown the MC out. There are other varieties, but…these are enough for now.

On Hi-Teknology 3, Hi-Tek does none of this. The emcee collection is admitted weak. Little Brother doesn’t shine on Step Ya Game Up Remix, but Kweli sounds good on the track Time. On the track, God’s Plan, Young Buck comes correct. But the best song on the entire album isn’t by a rapper at all. It’s by English R&B songstress and newcomer Estelle on the track Life to Me that really comes off the best of any of them.

That said, all of the beats are pretty solid. I don’t know that any of them resonate as a beat in a mainstream, radio-friendly song would. But that doesn’t take from their quality in my opinion. Hi-Tek adds another quality volume to his body of work.

Erykah Badu - New Amerkyah Pt. 1
I wasn’t sold on this after the first track, but I kept listening and was stopped in my tracks when I heard Solider. The beat is infectious and Erykah is at her best. So I kept going. The best tracks on the album are The Hump and Telephone.

This entire album brings it back and makes me feel that it was worth the wait for Badu to bring us some modern soul excellence that just doesn’t happen consistently these days, as imposter after imposter fails to give us what we really want.

New Amerykah doesn’t go old school in the traditional sense, it sounds very modern and yet..the production is clean and the tracks are almost experimental at times. One of the things I discovered on the second listen is that some of the tracks start off rough or almost too much and you have to listen more to get the “good stuff” later in the track. No song is this more evident than on Master Teacher. It’s a great track, but the first 3 minutes or so might give you a headache.

But maybe that’s just me.

All in all, Erykah is back and better than ever here. This is easily one of the best albums of the year and will hold up well against most anything. It’s not intended for the pop charts (hell, her single is included as a ‘bonus’ track on the LP) and it’s not going to appeal to casual listeners. But make no mistake, it’s the real deal.

Black Spade's newest album To Serve With Love is good too, but the review I wrote isn't up yet. But it's one of the best hip-hop albums released so far this year.

And finally, here's a new track Get Busdy from The Roots newest LP coming later this year. It's pretty sweet and has an Office Space theme to it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-09-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #94
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Far be it from me to critique you after all the good music you've put me on to, but calling them a thrash band is underselling them IMO. I usually think of Thrash bands as 2 minute songs with unintelligible lyrics. Some of Death Angel's stuff could easily fit into a Metallica or even RHCP cd imo.

Death Angel is thrash, pure and simple. I'm not sure where your definition comes from, but 2 minute songs with unintelligible lyrics isn't really what thrash is about. You might be thinking of grindcore or something - I'd definitely put Pig Destroyer in that category. Or maybe SOD back in the 80s, which was more punk or speed metal than thrash (I do love the Ballad of Jimi Hendrix, though).

Back in the day, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, etc., were all thrash bands. In fact, with DA included, and maybe add in Overkill and Forbidden, those were the main bands that made up the Bay Area Thrash scene of the 80s. DA definitely did some different things, but they were still thrash at the root of their sound. They did a bit of funk, but not enough to compare them to RHCP. Maybe a 15 second snip of one of their songs, but nothing they did could possibly fit with RHCP. Not even Bored.

And Avantasia is pretty good, I've got the new one and haven't listened to it all that much yet. His Metal Opera stuff from a few years back is great.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #95
st.cronin
General Manager

Robert Plant and Alison Kraus

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #96
MikeVic
Head Coach

I like some of the music mentioned in this thread.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #97
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Their album came out a few weeks ago, and it's really good. Recommended by me.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #98
Groundhog
Coordinator

Lately I've been re-discovering old Flaming Lips albums. Forgot how good some of these suckers were.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #99
sabotai
General Manager

Acroma - Orbitals

It was released in 2003, but I just found them thanks to pandora.com. Really good stuff. They sound similar to A Perfect Circle, but with more of a "rock" sound to them.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #100
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Magnetic Fields-Distortion- I bought "I" a few years back, and I thought it was horrible. I gave it about two or three tries, and I just thought it was reprehensible. I vowed to never buy another Magnetic Fields album. Then, I'm at Streetlight a few weeks ago, and I see Distortion on the "featured" rack in the indie section. I decide to listen to the free samples on a whim. Every :30 clip I listened to sounded great, so I bought it.

I have to say that I love its lo-fi pop feel. Some have said it's comparable to Jesus & Mary Chain, and I definitely hear that. I'm still not a huge fan of Stephen Merritt's voice, but the man can write a catchy song. The largely instrumental opener, "Three Way", is awesome. It's a near automatic mood-lifter. It was ballsy (I guess) to name a song "California Girls", after two other bands had capitalized off of a song with the same title, but it works here, not just because the song is different, but the theme is different (I hate California Girls)].

"Too Drunk To Dream" is almost anthemic.