Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2007, 01:52 AM   #51
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I think he'll stay around one more year until Cowher is ready to return. You're a Panthers fan, is that the consensus?

I honestly have no idea. I'd heard tons of rumors about Cowher for other jobs, so I'm not sure. Down in Atlanta I was getting overwhelmed by Vick coverage and am not sure what the local buzz is on Cowher.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:54 AM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And he also got a top 10 pick in the off season. And Randy Moss for a fourth round pick. And got Adalius Thomas. And got Wes Welker for a 2nd round pick. He facilitated all these deals, you can damn well bet that.

Not saying I disagree with your general point, but this statement is ridiculous. Sure, I am sure Belichek was asked about these moves before they were done, and that he was part of the planning. But these deals were done by the front office staff. I forget the player personnel guy's name, but I know he is generally regarded as brilliant. And you act like Belichek should get all the credit?

COTY is given to coaches, not player personnel guys. You should be judged with what you do on the field. Spygate was "on the field" and cost his team a first round pick, so, yes, that matters. Those player moves were done off the field, and Belichek was at best likely an advisor on those moves.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:55 AM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jack Del Rio? Yes this year he was good but last year he totally underperformed and because of that his team looked much better this year. So the fact last year he cost his team games lowered expectations for this year makes him a COTY candidate? I don't buy it.

The 'Y' stands for year. Just sayin', ya know.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-30-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:02 AM   #54
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The 'Y' stands for year. Just sayin', ya know.

Yes, but people bring up McCarthy leading a team from 8-8 to 13-3 or whatever. Well, the only reason Jacksonville was able to improve this year win wise was because last year they underperformed.

If he coaches them up last year to their potential they're probably 10-6 or 11-5 and that whole improvement thing is null and void.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:10 AM   #55
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, but people bring up McCarthy leading a team from 8-8 to 13-3 or whatever. Well, the only reason Jacksonville was able to improve this year win wise was because last year they underperformed.

If he coaches them up last year to their potential they're probably 10-6 or 11-5 and that whole improvement thing is null and void.

Not relevant. That happened in 2006. This isn't the 2006 COTY discussion, but the 2007 award.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:33 AM   #56
14ers
High School Varsity

I wonder if Neuheisel taking the UCLA job is an early indication the Billick is out in Baltimore.

LOL How about Bill Cowher becoming the next head coach of the Ravens?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:42 AM   #57
Vince
Pro Starter

I honestly can't decide whether or not I want Nolan back for the 49ers. I think he's got the potential to be a good coach...but there have been some absolutely ridiculous things that have gone on this year.

-The injury to Alex Smith's shoulder, the team's handling of it, and the interaction between Smith and Nolan in the media. Again, slightly out of his hands in that Smith took it to the media himself...but not being on the same page as the franchise QB isn't a good sign.

-The seeming obsession with going for it on 4th down, even in situations that clearly dictate you SHOULD NOT go for it (eg late in the 4th quarter in a game in which you have the lead, like last week).

-The atrocious play calling for the majority of the season. I know there's an offensive coordinator, and I know it's his job to call the plays -- but it took Nolan nearly 14 weeks to change something about the way things were done with offensive playcalling, and they're STILL not that great.

I'm sure there are other things, but I'm tired and can't think of any now.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:43 AM   #58
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
TJ Douche is way underpaid, and there's no way he should report to camp next year without a new contract. It's almost like Palmer hates him or something, with the rediculous throws that lead to TJ getting decapitated. I've seen the guy take some man sized shots on a regular basis. He's a top flight WR,

The bengals defense has been embarassing, way too many good picks invested into the squad for them to suck that bad. It's like so weird how Billick is some "offensive genius" who's teams suck at offense and are great at defense, and how Lewis is basically the polar opposite. I still think he should get 1-2 more years though, they could at least attempt to de-turdify the roster, and bring in a better front seven over the next 2 years. Hell, they only have 21 sacks all year, last year Smith and Gaethers combined for 19.

I do like this new side of pro-Bengals stevew! Don't deny it, you love the Bengals! I would never give Hines Ward such praise!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #59
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

My take on COY as a Pats fan. It's either McCarthy or Belichick. Frankly, I don't think Del Rio is in the discussion much at all.

I think you do have to factor in the fine/draft pick loss in the analysis because it resulted from coaching activities. It's not a disqualifier but something to consider with all the rest of the stuff. On the other hand, handling some egos and keeping the team performing under the intense pressure of a 16-0 is a pretty good achievement. You also cannot include talent acquisition into it. This is a coaching award, not a GM award.

As for McCarthy, he's done a great job. I do think GB was ready to take of last year, but I don't hold that against him, since he was responsible for that too. So, I am not going to penalize him for that in the voting this year.

I think Belichick will eke out a win over McCarthy, but I think it will be close.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 12-30-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #60
korme
Go Reds

As for the coach of the year talk, I would agree that records aren't so cut-and-dry in who gets the award, but these are special circumstances- no one goes 16-0. Well, the Pats just did and there is no way Belichick isn't winning CoY.

Last edited by korme : 12-30-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:48 AM   #61
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
The Bengals o-line pretty much blows too doesn't it?

Actually quite the contrary. Unless we allow 3 or more sacks tomorrow, we will break our team record of sacks allowed in a season. Palmer has been sacked only 17 times through 15 games.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:51 AM   #62
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
TJ Douche is way underpaid, and there's no way he should report to camp next year without a new contract. It's almost like Palmer hates him or something, with the rediculous throws that lead to TJ getting decapitated. I've seen the guy take some man sized shots on a regular basis. He's a top flight WR,

I haven't watched Cincy play this year, so I ask this question. Do you think CJ's presence on the other side has helped TJH? I mean it has to right? Do you think TJH could be a number one WR on a mainly passing team? I don't know the answer, so that's why I am asking. This will probably be throw into TJH's face in any kind of contract renegotiation, no?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 AM   #63
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
As for the coach of the year talk, I would agree that records aren't so cut-and-dry in who gets the award, but these are special circumstances- no one goes 16-0. Well, the Pats just did and there is no way Belichick isn't winning CoY.

It's an amazing achievement, but would you vote for a coach that took over an extremely talented team and went 16-0 despite making several bonehead decisions? This is obviously not a description of Belichick, but that's where the discussion comes into play. The arguments about how he managed the egos, Randy Moss, kept the team focused, etc. All of those are good arguments. 16-0 is certainly a good argument. I just don't think it can be the only argument.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #64
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

When the Jags went 12-4 two years ago, they were soft, and everyone knew it. The Patriots pulled a massive choe job to get the jags in teh playoffs and then soundly thumped them.

Last year, Byron Leftwich quit on the team. He literally quit. He said things like "I can still play" (which is continues to claim he could have done through his most recent interviews) but then opted himself for season ending surgery. Then Del Rio, after seeing no major improvements from Leftwich in camp and the preseason camps,m decides to cut the tether with his own player that he drafted, and turns to Garrard. That's balls. And it worked wonderously with Garrard the third best QB rating in the NFL. When someone exhibits that kind of daring and it works, you have to give credit where its due.

Again, I'd like to see him win, but I;d understand if others that are equally worthy also got it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:03 AM   #65
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

One more thing in Del Rio's favor is that man calls a ballsy game and it works No one calls more 4th downs and has a better conversion percentage (the last time i checked the stats, which was a few weeks ago). Just thought I'd throw that out ther,e that he is a gutsy coach on the field but he knows his stats.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

And to be fair, we are all missing a part of the puzzle - the playoffs. If the Redskins win tomorrow, then run the tabe in the NFC all the way to the Super Bowl. we'll be talking Joe Gibbs.

I just hope that should the Chargers win the Super Bowl would you all please have the sense to remember not to vote Norv Turner for CoTY. Thank you.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:42 AM   #67
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
And to be fair, we are all missing a part of the puzzle - the playoffs. If the Redskins win tomorrow, then run the tabe in the NFC all the way to the Super Bowl. we'll be talking Joe Gibbs.

I just hope that should the Chargers win the Super Bowl would you all please have the sense to remember not to vote Norv Turner for CoTY. Thank you.

No we won't, because COY is an honor bestowed for regular season performance. I believe the vote is on this monday/tuesday.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #68
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Back to coaching news, kind of...........

Sirius NFL Radio just reported that Gil Brandt (who works for NFL Radio) offered Atlanta's Authur Blank to help him in a search for a GM and head coach. Blank turned him down.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #69
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A few things on the Bengals.

1) The big problem is the lack of first day draft picks playing for Cincy this year. For various reasons, injury, suspension, FAs, lack of talent, only 7 of 17 of the Bengals' first day picks over the last five years played even half the year. You can't succeed without first day picks playing well.

2) The defense felt the brunt of this with Pollack, Thurman, Ratliff, Rucker, and Brooks all playing little or not at all. The linebackers in particular were terrible largely because the draft picks aren't playing.

3) The running game is awful. Rudi can't even manage three yards a carry. Teams were able to settle into a two deep zone confident that the Bengals couldn't run them out of it.

4) Most of the season there wasn't a reliable third option in the passing game. That's why TJ was able to ring up so many catches. Until Henry came back there wasn't a third WR or TE or RB that was a receiving threat.

5) Bratkowski either doesn't have someone who can catch in the short middle or refuses to utilize that area or Palmer is too tied to his WRs. In the games I've seen I don't think there were more than a handful of throws underneath the two deep zone.

6) The line has been better than advertised, but Ghiacuc has little ability to hold the middle. He's simply not strong enough to take on many DTs and that's part of the reason a between the tackle guy like Rudi can't get going.

I hope they ditch Bratkowski and bring in a FA DT andTE. I'm okay keeping Bresnehan as the D seems to be finally coming together over the last month or so. I'm very leery of wholesale changes as that almost always means a lost year or two. They can be a playoff team next year with some changes, but right now they simply don't have the talent to be championship material.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #70
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Romeo Crennel and Jack Del Rio are among the contenders, but I think ultimately Belichick will win it. He deserves it for keeping his team competitive for 16 games.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #71
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
BTW, was anyone else expecting miami_fan to start this off by talking about a certain Dolphn coach?

I didn't think I needed to embarrass him more than he has already done.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #72
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Wait wait wait. The Lions have fired Martz and replaced him with....

Kippy Brown!

Please allow me to begin a chorus of laughing that will surely continue as other Dolphins fans find this thread.

Bahahahahaha!

SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Will the Lions bring back Karim Abdul Jabbar too?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #73
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Will the Lions bring back Karim Abdul Jabbar too?

Isn't it time for Cecil Collins to get out of jail?

I'm sure JJ Johnson and John Avery are looking for work, too.

Shit that backfield was bad.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-30-2007 at 02:15 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 AM   #74
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
I haven't watched Cincy play this year, so I ask this question. Do you think CJ's presence on the other side has helped TJH? I mean it has to right? Do you think TJH could be a number one WR on a mainly passing team? I don't know the answer, so that's why I am asking. This will probably be throw into TJH's face in any kind of contract renegotiation, no?

Hard to say if he could be a legit #1 on every team, but he would be a #1 on most teams. He should at least be paid top flight TE type money in his next deal. Something like 5/30ish at the worst.

Last edited by stevew : 12-31-2007 at 01:05 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 AM   #75
Vince
Pro Starter

As a 49er fan, I would LOVE to see TJ on my team.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #76
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Hard to say if he could be a legit #1 on every team, but he would be a #1 on most teams. He should at least be paid top flight TE type money in his next deal. Something like 5/30ish at the worst.

TJ is a #1 WR on all but perhaps 5-6 teams, he deserves top 10 WR cash, will he get it? I don't know, will he force the issue? Not if he's the type of player I believe he is.

2 major problems on Offense, We need a Pro-Bowl Center and we need a top line TE, both of which pretty much destroyed our running game and over the middle passing games this season, not to mention lead to TJ nearly getting killed in a few games.

Bratkowski has 1 major flaw, and its killing Cincy: He gets into patterns of play caling FAR too easily. Other teams pick up on that and they played us all year like they knew what was coming and in many cases knew EXACTLY what was coming.

The defense I can't realy bitch about. If the Patriots lose every starting LB and all but 1 backup to injury for 6 games they lose 5 of those 6 games too. Until i see Chuck's defense playing healthy for a whole season I can't say He is the problem.

Last edited by RendeR : 12-31-2007 at 09:07 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #77
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

NFL Radio is saying Jay Glazer has reported the Ravens have fired Brian Billick.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure he'll find a new job soon. Strongly doubt the Ravens will find someone nearly as good as him
Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #79
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola-

Quote:
Sources: Ravens fire Billick after disappointing year
by Jay Glazer
Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider. Despite his insistence that his job was safe, the Brian Billick era in Baltimore is over.

The team fired their head coach Monday, FOXSports.com has learned, capping an extremely disappointing season.

This comes one day after FOX Sports reported that the players and other employees informed team owner Steve Biscotti that Billick had completely lost the locker room and could not win them back.

Billick was hired as an offensive guru but during his tenure it was his defenses that won for the Ravens, especially their Super Bowl title. Over time Billick was unable to get his QBs to star and his offenses stalled year in and year out.

Earlier this year he proclaimed that he had been given the vote of confidence from Biscottit but that was never confirmed and was obviously not true.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #80
DeToxRox
Head Coach

They'd be smart to make Rex Ryan their new HC.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm sure he'll find a new job soon. Strongly doubt the Ravens will find someone nearly as good as him

Then the Ravens seriously need to upgrade their search.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #82
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Now, it's gonna look like I am picking on you. top flight TE?

Old 12-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just meant the range of money that the top guys have gotten paid most recently, not the actual position.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #84
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Old 12-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #85
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Housh will get Reggie Wayne money.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #86
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Jay Glazer is now on NFL Radio saying....

-49ers owners/front office are about to have a meeting in 15 minutes to talk about Mike Nolan.

-Rex Ryan should be top candidate in Baltimore.

-Scott Linehan is probably safe but will need to make staff changes.

-Cowboys gave permission today for Parcells to talk to Jeff Ireland. (for GM spot)

-No idea who would be the Dolphins coach.

-Atlanta will ask to talk to Rex Ryan and Jason Garrett today for coaching job. John Schnieder and Reggie McKenzie from GB for GM job. (Schnieder was talked about as a potential CEO for the Packers I think not too long ago, damn trucking family bastards)
Old 12-31-2007, 02:02 PM   #87
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We really need Denny Green back in the league.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:17 PM   #88
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Jay Glazer is now on NFL Radio saying....

-49ers owners/front office are about to have a meeting in 15 minutes to talk about Mike Nolan.

-Rex Ryan should be top candidate in Baltimore.

-Scott Linehan is probably safe but will need to make staff changes.

-Cowboys gave permission today for Parcells to talk to Jeff Ireland. (for GM spot)

-No idea who would be the Dolphins coach.

-Atlanta will ask to talk to Rex Ryan and Jason Garrett today for coaching job. John Schnieder and Reggie McKenzie from GB for GM job. (Schnieder was talked about as a potential CEO for the Packers I think not too long ago, damn trucking family bastards)

Nothing about Brad Childress? Damn.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #89
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

As I see a couple more little things on the net saying Blank will ask the Cowboys today to speak with Jason Garrett, I find it somewhat ironic. Jones' alma mater hired away Petrino, some say Jones was in on it I guess. Jones has been "grooming" Garrett as the next Cowboys coach, what a great way for Blank to strike back at Jones.

I have time to waste, don't take my theory too serious.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:20 PM   #90
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Nothing about Brad Childress? Damn.

Noe, he didn't mention the VIkes from what I heard.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #91
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ping: Bill Parcells

Do NOT hire Brian Billick.

End message.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #92
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Ping: Bill Parcells

Do NOT hire Brian Billick.

End message.

Is Billick a "Parcells guy?"
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #93
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have to post about this somewhere.

Is anyone else able to hear the Baltimore press conference right now? The owner (?) is talking and it seems someone is trying to attack him with a dentist's drill. This loud noise, that sounds like a drill, keeps going off. Fairly loud too. I am laughing my ass off at it.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #94
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope not.

I just couldn't take the Dolphins hiring another guy I hated.

But firing Mueller was a nice first step. Clean house, Bill. Clean house!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #95
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Is anyone else able to hear the Baltimore press conference right now? The owner (?) is talking and it seems someone is trying to attack him with a dentist's drill. This loud noise, that sounds like a drill, keeps going off. Fairly loud too. I am laughing my ass off at it.

Cellphone on vibrate right near the microphone?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #96
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Cellphone on vibrate right near the microphone?

I have no idea. It has happened atleast a dozen times now. It's a great press conference overall too. A reporter just started asking a question and 15 seconds into talking he says he forgot his thought and they moved onto the next guy.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/s...rano_1231.html
The Falcons have received permission to interview Dallas offensive line coach Tony Sparano, according to the Dallas Morning News. The newspaper cited unnamed sources. The interview is scheduled to take place Wednesday. Sparano, 46, is the Cowboys assistant head coach and has also been linked as a head-coaching candidate with Miami.

Sparano is in charge of Dallas's offensive line and is the running game coordinator. He called plays in 2006 under then-coach Bill Parcells, but those duties were turned over to offensive coordinator Jason Garrett this season, when Wade Phillips took over for Parcells.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #98
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Just as follow up to the COY discussion, here's a quote from Peter King. Some don't like him, but he is an AP voter for COY (as well as MVP and All-Pro honors). So it gives some insight on what voters are thinking.

"Coach: Bill Belichick, New England. The toughest call I had to make, and I empathize with those who say they can't vote a man coach of the year who was sanctioned more harshly than any coach in NFL history. I gave long and hard consideration to Mike McCarthy of Green Bay, because the Pack vastly overachieved with his steady and smart leadership. But it came down to this: Did the Patriots gain an advantage this year because of Belichick's apparent history of authorizing the taping of defensive signals by the other team's coaches? I think the advantage, at best, was infinitesimal. Whereas the edge gained by Shawne Merriman for using illegal performance-enhancing substances can lead to a tangible advantage for a team, I don't think the taping of defensive signals for a few minutes in the opening game of the season compares. And the accomplishment of this team, and its head coach, are too overwhelming to overlook."
Old 12-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #99
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Miami should go ahead and hire Jason Garrett.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #100
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Garrett is Jones' guy, not Parcel's guy. He likes "his guys."