Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #51
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Not being pedantic - but why don't the goverment just fine anyone not returning it promptly say $70 .... it'd increase the return ratio instantly and cover any costs involved for those who don't.

I think the fine is 5K, but, it is hardly, if ever, enforced.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-16-2010 at 08:21 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #52
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Not being pedantic - but why don't the goverment just fine anyone not returning it promptly say $70 .... it'd increase the return ratio instantly and cover any costs involved for those who don't.

you think people bitch now...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #53
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you think people bitch now...

If they advertised it as covering the costs of the census and emphasied its in the institution then I think in the main people wouldn't moan that much - after all they'd only pay it if they were lazy ... and tbh if they had to pay they've only got themselves to blame.

(and sorry but if you moan in those circumstances maybe it'd be part of a path towards actually taking responsibility for your actions (or inaction in this case) - bah humbug )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-16-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #54
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Maybe because they use the US Postal Service to send these, which means a bunch are likely to go undelivered, so they have to send TWO notices to help ensure people get at least one?

I saw a stat recently that "in the old days" there was one census taker per 2500-some-odd people, while today with all our technology and improved communications there is one census taker per 650-some-odd.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Maybe back in the old days the census takers were lazier.

Then:
"My farm needs tending to." {gestures towards a pile of census forms}
"Lancaster, what does that look like? Maybe 2500 people."

Now, they're just better at guestimating
{points to pile of census forms on a desk} "Hey, Jerry, that's about 600 people, right?"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-16-2010 at 12:05 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #56
NewIdentity
High School JV

I just don't like the idea of this being a public record for everyone to see. I have never understood why they need to know my full name, or my exact date of birth? I don't have a problem with any of the other questions; it is just these 2 questions I don't like. I wouldn't mind an age question if you could give it in years. I do not believe the government is taking into account the Identity Theft problem we currently have

That is if the Census commercial is accurate where the women is able to look up her grand fathers census information about him being the town's only doctor.

Everyone needs to be on the lookout for fake Census emails, phone calls, and door knockers this year.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 03-16-2010 at 12:12 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #57
digamma
Torchbearer

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed. ([And] this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #58
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree people need to be on the lookout for fake census takers, etc... but if you don't think your DOB and full name already aren't in about 100 places that someone with nefarious intentions could easily access them you are fooling yourself. Medical records, credit card applications, a number of utility bills, facebook, school records, selective service registration, etc...
Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #59
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Maybe because they use the US Postal Service to send these, which means a bunch are likely to go undelivered, so they have to send TWO notices to help ensure people get at least one?

I saw a stat recently that "in the old days" there was one census taker per 2500-some-odd people, while today with all our technology and improved communications there is one census taker per 650-some-odd.

That in some degree due to the unwillingness to allow statistical sampling. When a greater use of sampling was suggested the GOP threw a fit because it would almost certainly result in greater numbers for traditionally Democratic constituencies.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #60
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
We haven't gotten ours but one thing I have an issue with is choosing race. Our kids are half black, half mexican and I've yet to see a form that has a biracial choice.

I have the form in front of me. You can mark multiple boxes to address your situation.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #61
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That in some degree due to the unwillingness to allow statistical sampling. When a greater use of sampling was suggested the GOP threw a fit because it would almost certainly result in greater numbers for traditionally Democratic constituencies.

Exactly how much was sampling used during the first census?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #62
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
I just don't like the idea of this being a public record for everyone to see. I have never understood why they need to know my full name, or my exact date of birth? I don't have a problem with any of the other questions; it is just these 2 questions I don't like. I wouldn't mind an age question if you could give it in years. I do not believe the government is taking into account the Identity Theft problem we currently have

That is if the Census commercial is accurate where the women is able to look up her grand fathers census information about him being the town's only doctor.

Everyone needs to be on the lookout for fake Census emails, phone calls, and door knockers this year.

The information is NOT made public until at least 70 years after the census was taken. Currently, the most recent census you can look up is the 1930 census. The 1940 census is not available yet, the last time I checked.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #63
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Good question, but, here's what was asked on the 1790 census:

1. Name of head of family
2. Number of free white males 16 and up, including heads of families
3. Number of free white males under 16
4. Number of free white females including heads of families
5. Number of all other free persons, except Indians not taxed
6. Number of slaves

Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #64
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Just answer the questions for fuck sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
What's hipper: being anti-census or anti-plate tectonics?

My two favorite quotes from this thread.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #65
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
The information is NOT made public until at least 70 years after the census was taken. Currently, the most recent census you can look up is the 1930 census. The 1940 census is not available yet, the last time I checked.

The 1940 Census becomes available for public review in 2012. The Census privacy law covers 72 years.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #66
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Exactly how accurate was it?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #67
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
The 1940 Census becomes available for public review in 2012. The Census privacy law covers 72 years.

Ah, 72 years, even longer then. I'm willing to bet most of us will be dead by the time our phone numbers from 2010 become publicly available via the census in 2082.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

[rolls eyes]

What do you suggest, carrier pigeon? Because you damned sure couldn't use FedEx or UPS since there are addresses that they won't/can't deliver to and they certainly wouldn't do it at the minimal rates of the postal service.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #69
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
[rolls eyes]

What do you suggest, carrier pigeon? Because you damned sure couldn't use FedEx or UPS since there are addresses that they won't/can't deliver to and they certainly wouldn't do it at the minimal rates of the postal service.

The point is more that there is not a reliable delivery mechanism, so you can't fine folks for not getting something when it was out of their control.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #70
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I have the form in front of me. You can mark multiple boxes to address your situation.

Ahh cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
It's different. For government forms, they count the races twice. So your kids get counted twice. For school stuff? Most school districts have their own methodology, but historically, the one-drop rule is employed. It was reported in years past that some schools would just eyeball the kids and pick a race for them, for especially "cute" parents that like to check other or create their own boxes or check more than one. It might be better now, but...I doubt it, given that most of the systems they use don't have space for "others" and make you pick one and only one.

Yup, that's what happened with our oldest. I'm pretty sure she was marked as one race when I put her down for 2. Would be interesting to inquire about it with their school principal.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #71
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not a fan of fines. Honestly, not filling it out just fucks yourself. Funding for your area as well as representation is determined using the census.

I'd be fine with them mailing out to everyone and saying fuck it, whoever mails it in gets the funding and representation.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #72
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm not a fan of fines. Honestly, not filling it out just fucks yourself. Funding for your area as well as representation is determined using the census.

I'd be fine with them mailing out to everyone and saying fuck it, whoever mails it in gets the funding and representation.

No matter who or how many mail thier forms in Western NY, all the money NY gets goes to the ass-cracks downstate.....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #73
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The point is more that there is not a reliable delivery mechanism, so you can't fine folks for not getting something when it was out of their control.
Sure they can - RMV notices (speeding tickets, registration, etc) work this way now. Parking Tickets (left outside your car in public) would seem to have an even less reliable delivery mechanism. And in this state they also charge you upfront to both appeal a ticket to a magistrate ($25) or (an additional $75) to actually go in front of a judge and face your accuser. They also instituted a fee (quickly repealed) to talk to a person at the RMV if you wanted to renew anything in person. You can tell me which of those is less legal, but I assure you they're doing all of them right now.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #74
DanGarion
Coordinator

I heard if you fill out the census form you are approving the public option for the health care bill, it's a loophole that the Dems have figured out!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #75
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Well my census questionaire asked (and I sent it back because like I said I don't care why rustle feathers over this) how old I was,my sex, my type of house, my race, and my phone number. Besides my race I can find accurate information for free (ie the government has put more effort into it than a free website) for every question. What is the point of this exactly?

How old you are: This will determine funding for schools, public transportation, assisted living quarters, etc

Type of House: Useful information if they need to fund more apartments or mdu's

Race/Sex I am not sure on these two but Id assume they are using it for demographic research

Phone number: Is for follow up and they will occasionally call people as part of a survey.

As someone pointed out earlier the reason they get all the information is because the Census and other government org's dont share information. For instance your estimated income on the census isnt going to be reported to the IRS and the reverse is also true.

In reality not doing this or lying on this makes a person pretty worthless in my book. They are letting down the people that may need help by not giving accurate information.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-16-2010 at 11:43 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #76
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR View Post

For example: Rather than ask our date of birth, wouldn't it suffice for me to tell them that I am between 40 - 45 years old?

I know, I'd rather have them ask for my social security number than my age...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 AM   #77
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
How old you are: This will determine funding for schools, public transportation, assisted living quarters, etc

Type of House: Useful information if they need to fund more apartments or mdu's

Race/Sex I am not sure on these two but Id assume they are using it for demographic research

Phone number: Is for follow up and they will occasionally call people as part of a survey.

As someone pointed out earlier the reason they get all the information is because the Census and other government org's dont share information. For instance your estimated income on the census isnt going to be reported to the IRS and the reverse is also true.

In reality not doing this or lying on this makes a person pretty worthless in my book. They are letting down the people that may need help by not giving accurate information.
Please explain why the Census needs to know my full name? I am not sure how anyone is going to lose out if I do not put down my full legal name?

If I remember correctly last time I used my traditional family name that started with an O'. Since coming to the US, my family has dropped the O'. I wonder what part of the population I let down by doing this?

This time I think I am going to go with my first name and middle name.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 03-17-2010 at 05:12 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Please explain why the Census needs to know my full name? I am not sure how anyone is going to lose out if I do not put down my full legal name?

The most obvious purpose would be the need to verify that it's a unique response, that someone isn't being counted twice.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #79
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

interesting article on cnn

How to cash in on the census - What's on the menu -- Subway (1) - CNNMoney.com

Companies, large and small, use publicly-available census data (aka "not your phone number") to decide on product offerings in stores, where to build new stores, etc.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-17-2010 at 08:06 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #80
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

If I remember correctly last time I used my traditional family name that started with an O'. Since coming to the US, my family has dropped the O'. I wonder what part of the population I let down by doing this?

This whole rant just seems so absurd to me. It seems you are expending way more energy bitching about putting down your full name than just doing it.

I just don't get it, don't you put your full name on utility bills, bank statements, mortgage or lease, etc....Why dig your heels in on this?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #81
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This whole rant just seems so absurd to me. It seems you are expending way more energy bitching about putting down your full name than just doing it.

I just don't get it, don't you put your full name on utility bills, bank statements, mortgage or lease, etc....Why dig your heels in on this?

I'm going to put my full name, and answer anything they want, and I'll report back if anything horrible happens to me. Then we'll know.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #82
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Like Jon mentioned
1. So your name isnt counted more than once
2. Follow up work(its nice to have a name so if they send you something you will get it)
3. It will make the process less time consuming for the Census workers in 2020 so they dont have to verify every single name again.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-17-2010 at 09:53 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #83
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(well, he does go by NewIdentity so maybe he has to worry about these sorts of things )

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #84
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

People are taking NewIdentity seriously?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #85
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It'll also be nice in 200 years when your descendents are doing genealogical research and what to know what you did, where you lived, where you moved around to, etc.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #86
hhiipp
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
It'll also be nice in 200 years when your descendents are doing genealogical research and what to know what you did, where you lived, where you moved around to, etc.

Pfft, they'll just look us up on facebook.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #87
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

+1
much easier to find the Richard Smith's in your family tree with accurate and full name, age, and other information as you can give.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-17-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #88
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
+1
much easier to find the Richard Smith's in your family tree with accurate and full name, age, and other information as you can give.

Yeah.

Using primarily census data my father was able to do a ton as far as tracing the meanderings of his side of the family around the South from c. 1675-1700 when they came over to S. Carolina all around Georgia, Alabama, etc. (yes...gasp in shock Jon - I'm actually from an old Southern family and only went Yankee when my father moved up here for college to escape my racist-asshole of a grandfather).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-17-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #89
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So for race I'm going to put down "Wood Elf" (of Hispanic Origin).
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #90
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Of course, the ironic thing is that probably most of the people out in the nation worried about the census have 8 credit cards which means large multinational corporations have more information that the government is asking for.

This is such a baseless claim, but it sure sounds good.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #91
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

You have never filled out a credit application?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #92
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
It's for your nametag at the concentration camp. Easier for the guards to keep track of everyone.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #93
Kang
n00b

What kind of a man would use a fake name?!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #94
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The most obvious purpose would be the need to verify that it's a unique response, that someone isn't being counted twice.

Bingo.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #95
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You have never filled out a credit application?

Libertarians don't believe in credit cards maybe?? Or mortgage applications. Or any form of usury.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #96
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's for your nametag at the concentration camp. Easier for the guards to keep track of everyone.

I <3 you. So much!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #97
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp View Post
Pfft, they'll just look us up on facebook.

pfft.. they could just ask my severed head in a jar on the shelf next to the Gray's Sports Almanac.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #98
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Libertarians don't believe in credit cards maybe?? Or mortgage applications. Or any form of usury.

No. I think it is a fucking waste of money. Read any of my previous posts in the thread or don't and make stupid generalizations instead. I don't give a shit about the questions, I have stated in almost every single post that I believe the government already has all of this information. Employing a bunch of people to do this job is yet another example of government waste. Believe me, I went to college like you and wanted to save the world. Then I grew up and realized none of those guys with R's or D's next to their names really give a shit about saving the world they just want to create another program to get people to vote for them and keep them in office.

Maybe you will discover this someday. You already have discovered this about the Republicans. Some other posters have already discovered this about the Democrats. News flash: Maybe you both are right!!! Every arguement you guys make is what is wrong with the other side. Maybe you both are right???

Last edited by panerd : 03-17-2010 at 02:12 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #99
Kang
n00b

I don't have a last name.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #100
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No. I think it is a fucking waste of money. Read any of my previous posts in the thread or don't and make stupid generalizations instead. I don't give a shit about the questions, I have stated in almost every single post that I believe the government already has all of this information. Employing a bunch of people to do this job is yet another example of government waste. Believe me, I went to college like you and wanted to save the world. Then I grew up and realized none of those guys with R's or D's next to their names really give a shit about saving the world they just want to create another program to get people to vote for them and keep them in office.

Maybe you will discover this someday. You already have discovered this about the Republicans. Some other posters have already discovered this about the Democrats. News flash: Maybe you both are right!!! Every arguement you guys make is what is wrong with the other side. Maybe you both are right???

Dude...relax.

And don't make gross generalizations about what i have and have not discovered, or whether I have or have not "grown up."