Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #51
MikeVic
Head Coach

I haven't play video games much this year yet, but I was figuring Boom Blox was going to be one of those $29 or $39 games. I have seen a bunch of ads in the theaters as well, so they're trying to aim towards other circles too.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #52
MJ4H
Coordinator

From what I understand, you won't regret. Supposed to be a fantastic game. It got a perfect score on a review from someone, ign I think. All reviews have been good to outstanding.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #53
Daimyo
College Starter

Lack of time combined with the $50 price is too much for me. The reviews have been great and I'd like to try it, but since I don't really have time to play it now I figure I'll just wait until it hits $20 and re-evaluate. If it was $30 I'd pick it up now assuming I'd eventually have time for it.

Last edited by Daimyo : 06-20-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #54
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have never heard of Boom Blox until I just read you guys talking about it. I just watched a trailer for it on YouTube and I have to say that looks like one wacky and fun game.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #55
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I have never heard of Boom Blox until I just read you guys talking about it. I just watched a trailer for it on YouTube and I have to say that looks like one wacky and fun game.

Same here. This thread just boosted the sale of that game by 1 as I think my wife and I will enjoy playing that together.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-20-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #56
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interesting sales numbers for Boom Blox. It only sold 60K units in the first month of release. Was the $49 price point too much for consumers to swallow? All indications are that it was a good game, but the sales numbers certainly are cause for concern.

It sold well enough for EA.

Boom Blox Met Sales Expectations (1up.com)

Remember that titles on the Wii and DS, in general, receive a far lower percentage of lifetime sales in their first week/month than stuff on the other consoles.

Top 20 for May:

1. Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2, Xbox 360)
2. Mario Kart (Nintendo, Wii)
3. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii)
4. Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2, PS3)
5. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii)
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo, Wii)
7. Iron Man (Sega, PS2)
8. Guitar Hero III (Activision, Wii)
9. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness (Nintendo, DS)
10. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time (Nintendo, DS)
11. Call of Duty 4 (Activision, 360)
12. Iron Man (Sega, PSP)
13. We Ski (Namco, Wii)
14. Mario Kart (Nintendo, DS)
15. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS)
16. God of War 2 (Sony, PS2)
17. Game Party (Midway, Wii)
18. Guitar Hero III (Activision, PS2)
19. Haze (Ubisoft, PS3)
20. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo, Wii)

Galaxy, Guitar Hero, Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros. have all been out for six months to over a year in some cases.

Great sales for MGS4 in Japan, I can't wait for my new TV to get here so I can enjoy it in all its epicness.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #57
Calis
College Starter

I am surprised it sold so few even considering Wii games along those lines are more of a slow burn.

I thought they'd hype it up a little more because Spielberg's name was attached. They didn't push it at all however.

Fun game.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #58
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
It sold well enough for EA.

Boom Blox Met Sales Expectations (1up.com)

Remember that titles on the Wii and DS, in general, receive a far lower percentage of lifetime sales in their first week/month than stuff on the other consoles.

Your second comment could be part of it. 60K for a quality game on the PS3/360 on opening week is pretty disappointing, but it may have more legs on the Wii. Time will tell how it goes. I hope that it does do well because I think the industry as a whole really needs more good third-party new IP's. The number of sequels is getting to be a bit much.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I am surprised it sold so few even considering Wii games along those lines are more of a slow burn.

I thought they'd hype it up a little more because Spielberg's name was attached. They didn't push it at all however.

Fun game.

That was my thought as well. All we heard in the run-up to the game's release was Spielberg-this and Spielberg-that. They pushed it hard in the previews and press releases, but there was nothing in the form of advertising in that regard.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #60
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Same here. This thread just boosted the sale of that game by 1 as I think my wife and I will enjoy playing that together.

It's a great game especially for kids. Relatively easy to pick up and play.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SCEE chief says that PS3 sales pace in Europe has surpassed PS2 sales pace at the same point in the console's lifetime. Will be interesting to see if the PS3 can continue that pace...........

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=191384
Old 06-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #62
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Bought the Wii and love it. The only way I'll buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 is if two things happen. 1) the price drops 2) and NCAA/Madden are unplayable on the Wii. 1 will eventually happen, but I'm hoping 2 doesn't.

Interesting GTA hasn't impacted the sales more. I have a couple of Gamestops locally and a Best Buy and they all either never have a Wii or Mario Kart or both. Says a lot about the popularity of the system.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #63
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Here's a good article on how vgchartz.com numbers aren't very reliable, especially anything they list for Europe.

gamesetwatch.com article

This has become a bigger issue of late with mainstream publications like the New York Times and Forbes magazine referencing the site's largely made-up numbers as factual.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #64
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Sony has lost over three billion dollars on the PS3, due to them pricing the console below its production cost. According to them they might not make up their R&D costs during the console's lifetime. I guess the question is was Blu-Ray worth it?

kotaku.com link
Old 06-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #65
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Sony has lost over three billion dollars on the PS3, due to them pricing the console below its production cost. According to them they might not make up their R&D costs during the console's lifetime. I guess the question is was Blu-Ray worth it?

That question may not even be answered until the next generation. Here's an article discussing the "Xbox 720" and what it might entail. If the Xbox 720 does end up with a Blu-ray player built-in as is suggested in this article, the answer would most definitely be that it was worth it.

http://www.gamersworldbd.com/2008/06/xbox-720.html

Certainly some interesting points in this article, though it should be taken with a grain of salt given that it mostly discusses rumors. Sounds like 2012 is the likely release date for MS's next console.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-24-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #66
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That question may not even be answered until the next generation. Here's an article discussing the "Xbox 720" and what it might entail. If the Xbox 720 does end up with a Blu-ray player built-in as is suggested in this article, the answer would most definitely be that it was worth it.

Certainly some interesting points in this article, though it should be taken with a grain of salt given that it mostly discusses rumors. Sounds like 2012 is the likely release date for MS's next console.

Where did you hide the article?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #67
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Where did you hide the article?

Sorry about that. I added it in the post. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the online video store from Sony is now just around the corner.......

Quote:
Distribution on Next-Generation DivX Certified(R) Consumer Electronics Devices

Agreement Will Enable Global Retailers to Offer Sony Pictures
Titles in DivX(R) Format in International Markets

SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 24, 2008
DivX, Inc. (NASDAQIVX), a digital media company, today announced
an agreement with Sony Pictures Television International (SPTI) that
will enable online retailers in international markets to offer SPTI's
feature films and television content for secure download in the
high-quality DivX(R) format for playback on DivX Certified(R) consumer
electronics devices powered by the next-generation chipset solution.
This agreement follows an agreement DivX announced with Sony Pictures
Television for domestic format approval in January.

"The extension of our relationship with the Sony family will
enable consumers around the world to easily and securely access and
enjoy high-quality, premium content from the Sony library on a variety
of devices beyond the PC," said Kevin Hell, CEO of DivX, Inc. "We are
pleased that Sony Pictures Television International recognizes the
value of the DivX digital media solution and we look forward to
partnering with international retailers to bring this solution to
market."

"We welcome the opportunity for international retailers to
distribute Sony titles in a secure manner using the DivX format and to
offer international consumers the ability to easily and flexibly enjoy
Sony content across a variety of devices," said Paul Littmann, Senior
Vice President, New Media, Sony Pictures Television International.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #69
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am being influenced by the dark side! Count me as one of the folks buying a PS3 in June!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #70
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry about that. I added it in the post. Thanks for the heads-up.

No problem.

The only big thing to me in that article is a rough release date target, and a guess at that. Really I think most of us could have guessed at the rest. Backwards compatible, blu-ray simply because the extra storage space for games will be needed on a disc (unless something else comes along by some chance), taking popular features from the Wii (which both Sony and MS would be idiots not to do next time around). Faster and stronger guts. It is all kind of obvious, but they had to make an article to go with the info on the 2012 date.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #71
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No problem.

The only big thing to me in that article is a rough release date target, and a guess at that. Really I think most of us could have guessed at the rest. Backwards compatible, blu-ray simply because the extra storage space for games will be needed on a disc (unless something else comes along by some chance), taking popular features from the Wii (which both Sony and MS would be idiots not to do next time around). Faster and stronger guts. It is all kind of obvious, but they had to make an article to go with the info on the 2012 date.

While I'm sure we'll see some adoption of Wii features, I think the single most important thing for especially Sony and MS to a lesser degree is controlling console costs. Had the top end PS3 began its lifecycle at $399 instead of $599 with lower production costs, the PS3 would likely be a much more successful console at this point. The 360 would have had much better luck had they not had to deal with the massive RROD costs. Sony and MS can't have those kinds of hiccups in the next generation.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #72
spleen1015
Coordinator

Although I haven't been a victim of the RROD, I think I'll wait on the next XBOX to see how well the hardware holds up.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #73
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some interesting rumors in the August EGM magazine..........

Quote:
-Activision is buidling a new fancy peripheral for the next Tony Hawk Game.
-God of Soul. Kratos to be revealed as next Soulcalibur IV(PS3) character.
-GTA DLC(360) will star a biker character.
- MS is apparently allowing third-party manufacturers to make 360 compatible hardware.
-Q Entertainment seems to be working on a game for the PSN.
-New music visualizer to hit the PSN later this year
-Hefty price cut coming for both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 this fall.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #74
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nintendo press release, announcing three new games and a release date for a fourth. Hopefully they have some bigger news for E3 next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
NINTENDO'S WARIO, KIRBY BRING THE FUN; SLEUTHS GET A NEW MYSTERY CASE FILES GAME

New Experiences on the Way for Wii and Nintendo DS

REDMOND, Wash., June 25, 2008 – While the game world awaits the E3 Media & Business Summit in Los Angeles next month, Nintendo isn't waiting to announce new titles for its mushrooming libraries for the Wii™ console and Nintendo DS™. Classic Nintendo characters like bad-boy Wario™ and pink powerhouse Kirby® will star in their own platform games. A new Mystery Case Files™ game brings the best-selling Big Fish Games franchise to Nintendo DS for the first time. These games join the recently announced Mario™ Super Sluggers baseball game for the Wii console.

"Nintendo's game libraries continue to grow at a rapid pace," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Wario stars in a great new platformer, Kirby enthusiasts get an updated version of a fan favorite, there's a new mystery for Mystery Case Files aficionados and baseball gets a few new Mario-style twists."

Wario Land™: Shake It!, a classic side-scroller for the Wii console launching Sept. 29, stars Wario, the smelly, bad-mannered alter ego of Mario™. With the Wii Remote™ controller turned sideways like an old-school controller, veterans and newcomers alike can run, jump and smash their way through hectic side-scrolling stages. Players shake the Wii Remote to help Wario take down his enemies, empty bags of treasure or cause earthquakes. Best of all, there are numerous stages each offering multiple missions to keep players coming back again and again to unlock everything, collect more coins or just improve their best times.

Kirby Super Star™ Ultra for Nintendo DS, launching Sept. 29, re-imagines one of the most beloved Kirby games of all time. Kirby Super Star Ultra features new graphics and fully rendered animated cut scenes. With so many adventures waiting to be unlocked, there will never be a dull moment as Kirby runs, floats, copies enemies and uses Helpers to fight King Dedede and Meta Knight. New modes like Revenge of the King and Meta Knight Ultra await, along with classics like The Great Cave Offensive and Milky Way Wishes. On top of the main modes, there are also three new touch-screen-controlled mini-games that can be played with up to three friends via DS Download Play. Not only that, but players can go on Kirby adventures with a friend via local wireless as well.

Mystery Case Files™: MillionHeir™, launching Sept. 8, uses the unique Nintendo DS interface to expand upon the seek-and-solve game play of the popular series from Big Fish Games. Players seek out cleverly hidden items in a multitude of painted scenes. Players progress through an interactive detective story investigating a cast of characters and uncovering new evidence to find the rightful heir to a million-dollar fortune. This new portable installment is available only for Nintendo DS. With interactive logic puzzles that use both the touch-screen interface and built-in microphone and include the first ever multiplayer mode for a Mystery Case Files game, Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir presents a new generation of seek-and-solve games for casual gamers and franchise fans.

Mario™ Super Sluggers, launching Aug. 25 for the Wii console, stars the ever-lovable Mario and his crew of friends. It builds on the social-gaming fun and movements people learned in Wii Sports™ and turns them into a full-fledged baseball game that can be played by every member of the household. Players make a throwing motion with the Wii Remote controller to pitch the baseball and make a swinging motion to swing at the pitch. The game boasts more than 30 playable Nintendo characters and all the madness of a Mario sports game. Just like Mario Kart® Wii, it bridges the gap between experienced players and those new to the Wii console, with fun challenges and beautiful graphics.

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com.

Fatal Frame IV, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Wii Music, Kirby Wii, and Animal Crossing are all due out in Japan this fiscal year so US announcements/release dates shouldn't be too far off. A new Kid Icarus game has also been frequently rumored. Hopefully they fit in some game announcements to go alongside all their pie charts and youtube montages at E3.

Personally I want a New Super Mario Bros. 2 (or if Nintendo really wanted to make me happy, New Super Mario World), a new Waverace game for Wii, Wii Motorsports/Pilotwings, Pikmin 3, something cool from Retro Studios, and how about announcing some more DS games already?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #75
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

With every Nintendo game announcement I find myself wondering if there is something wrong with me that there is really nothing that comes out on their gaming devices that I give a crap about. Obviously people love them to the Nth degree, yet they do nothing for me at all.

Ok, I take that back a little. That Boom Blox looks kind of cool. That is it though.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #76
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
With every Nintendo game announcement I find myself wondering if there is something wrong with me that there is really nothing that comes out on their gaming devices that I give a crap about. Obviously people love them to the Nth degree, yet they do nothing for me at all.

Ok, I take that back a little. That Boom Blox looks kind of cool. That is it though.

Only the big name franchises matter to me, Mario, Zelda, Metroid.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #77
KWhit
Coordinator

MarioKart is great. BoomBlox looks like a blast, but I don't have it yet. And I had a lot of fun with Resident Evil 4, MLB Power Pros, and of course Wii Sports.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Nintendo press release, announcing three new games and a release date for a fourth. Hopefully they have some bigger news for E3 next month.

All the gaming news is relatively slow right now. All the companies are holding back their announcements for E3.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #79
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
All the gaming news is relatively slow right now. All the companies are holding back their announcements for E3.

Hey! This was a fair and even-handed comment! You're fired!

/Sony Exec
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Hey! This was a fair and even-handed comment! You're fired!

/Sony Exec

If only that was the first time I've been fired.

***sigh***
Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #81
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

x2

I think they have a bunch of nostalgia franchises that I never played as a kid (never had a Nintendo, only had a Super Nintendo Chalmers), and thus Nintendo stalwarts have no appeal to me.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-25-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #82
Calis
College Starter

I'm in the same boat with Nintendo games. While they went the route of the most innovative hardware-wise this generation I actually think they have been the most stagnant software-wise.

We're in a period were sequels after sequels are the norm, and Nintendo takes it to an extreme. It seems like we're seeing the same games from them, even in the big franchises(apart from Mario Galaxy which was a pretty big change).

Nostalgia could only keep me interested for so long.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #83
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ya I remember getting out the old balance board for my NES and having a good Yoga session back in '88. Fuckin' stagnant Nintendo.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #84
Daimyo
College Starter

Below are the Wii games published by Nintendo that have sold over 1 million copies. While there are several sequels I think this is an incredibly diverse list. While diversity is tough to quantify I doubt either of the other consoles is nearly as diverse in its top selling games let alone in its top selling first party games.

1. Wii Sports (21.56 million)
2. Wii Play (11.51 million)
3 Super Mario Galaxy (6.1 million)
4 Mario Party 8 (4.86 million)
5 Super Smash Bros. Brawl (4.85 million)
6 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (4.52 million)
7 Wii Fit (2.9147 million)
8 Mario Kart Wii (2.564 million)
9 Super Paper Mario (2.28 million)
10 Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (2.26 million)
11 WarioWare: Smooth Moves (1.82 million)
12 Mario Strikers Charged (1.77 million)
13 Link's Crossbow Training (1.71 million)
14 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (1.31 million)
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #85
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have an XBox and a Wii. Here is a list of all my games for each system:

XBox 360
NHL 08
Call of Duty 4
Grand Theft Auto 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero 3
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Wii
Madden 07
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Fit
Super Paper Mario
Zack & Wiki
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Party 8
Super Smash Bros: Brawl
MLB Power Pros

Neither list is exactly inspiring given the ridiculous amount of sequels nowadays, but EVERY GAME on the XBox list is a sequel. Every game. And believe me, I love them all, but it is what it is.

Last edited by Fidatelo : 06-25-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #86
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Below are the Wii games published by Nintendo that have sold over 1 million copies. While there are several sequels I think this is an incredibly diverse list. While diversity is tough to quantify I doubt either of the other consoles is nearly as diverse in its top selling games let alone in its top selling first party games.

1. Wii Sports (21.56 million)
2. Wii Play (11.51 million)
3 Super Mario Galaxy (6.1 million)
4 Mario Party 8 (4.86 million)
5 Super Smash Bros. Brawl (4.85 million)
6 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (4.52 million)
7 Wii Fit (2.9147 million)
8 Mario Kart Wii (2.564 million)
9 Super Paper Mario (2.28 million)
10 Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (2.26 million)
11 WarioWare: Smooth Moves (1.82 million)
12 Mario Strikers Charged (1.77 million)
13 Link's Crossbow Training (1.71 million)
14 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (1.31 million)

Yes, nevermind that 5 are Mario variations (6 if you count Wario), the usual Zelda and Metroid entries, and then a Gameboy rehash in Big Brain Academy.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-25-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #87
spleen1015
Coordinator

What's the problem with sequels?

The 2 games on the PS3 right now that are worth playing are both the 4th game in their series.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #88
MJ4H
Coordinator

Having the same characters in a game doesn't make it a "variation" of the same game. Wario Ware and Super Mario Galaxy are nowhere near variations of the same game (nor are any other two could compare).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #89
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
What's the problem with sequels?

The 2 games on the PS3 right now that are worth playing are both the 4th game in their series.

Yeah I have three PS3 (only got the console recently) games, all sequels (Metal Gear, GTA, MLB: the Show)

In the next few months, a lot of the PS3 games I'm interested in will be sequels (NCAA, Madden, NBA2k#) with a few new IPs thrown in (Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet)

On the Wii front it's similar. (13 to 6 in favor of sequels)

Sequels:

Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Tiger 07
Resi 4
Pro Evo 2008 (although it plays way different, still a sequel)
Trauma Center: New Blood (sequel to a Wii game that was an enhanced port of a new IP on the DS)
Smash Bros.
MLB Power Pros (has been around forever in Japan, new to North America)
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Metriod Prime 3: Corruption
Mario Kart Wii

I do think that the Wii controller does add a lot of new stuff to a lot of these sequels though, like Tiger Woods, Metroid, Resi 4, and Pro Evo.

New IPs:

Wii Sports (pack-in)
No More Heroes
Endless Ocean
Zack and Wiki
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Super Swing Golf (renamed port of a PC golf game, maybe shouldn't even be counted)

Even most of the PC games I've bought in the last year are sequels. Civ IV: Beyond the Sword, Football Manager, OOTP, Bioshock is the only new one in that bunch. Maybe I'm playing it too safe with my games purchases. I still need to try out Boom Blox but I just bought that PS3 and OOTP9 is like digital crack so far so there isn't a bunch of gaming time free. Plus all those DS games coming out in the next few months, I need more time. Maybe I'll quit my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer

Yeah gaming tastes are really subjective. I wonder the same things when people talk about how much they love Gears of War, Call of Duty, Devil May Cry, or World of Warcraft.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #90
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is Valkyria Chronicles a sequel to Valkyrie Profile, or not?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #91
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Is Valkyria Chronicles a sequel to Valkyrie Profile, or not?

Completely unrelated game.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #92
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yes, nevermind that 5 are Mario variations (6 if you count Wario), the usual Zelda and Metroid entries, and then a Gameboy rehash in Big Brain Academy.

Variations of what? Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Party 8, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Super Paper Mario, and Mario Strikers Charged have almost nothing in common in terms of game play or experience. They have character overlap, but that's the end of it.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #93
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

As was expected by the Divx announcement, PS3 movie downloads to be introduced in the U.S. this summer..........

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/06/26/3517692.htm

Microsoft disputes European numbers showing that the PS3 has passed the 360........

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/30991/360-...lion-in-Europe

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Upcoming online features on the PS3 have 'Live-like stuff'.............

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/0...coming-to-ps3/
Old 06-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #94
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

This one is a bit random. It has been over a decade since Mega Man 8 and over dozens of Mega Man spin-off games since then but the main series is to make its return, which is surprising enough, and they've chosen to make it for WiiWare which is almost as surprising. No word yet on if there will be an XBLA/PSN version.

IGN.com link
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #95
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Sony has lost over $3 billion on the PS3

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...he-ps3/1223467
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #96
spleen1015
Coordinator

I found the MGS4 bundle at Walmart last night. They had to of them. I went to Best Buy to pick up the PS3 HDMI cable and they had 3 MGS4 bundles as well. I was surprised to find it at Walmart, let alone see it at a Best Buy that has a lot of customers.

I looked at Walmart.com to see if there were any in stock at any of the Walmarts close to me. The website said there was LIMITED STOCK at the one I went to, so I headed over there thinking they won't have any. The stores don't update the website often enough. So, I was happy to find one in there.

I also picked up Uncharted. While not the best game, it is a cool adventure/puzzle game from what I have seen so far.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #97
Icy
Pro Starter

As i'll be on holidays when NCAA is released (will be away the whole July and maybe more but will carry with me the PS3) I'm thinking on picking up a shooter (I have only sports games in the PS3 so far).

Which one do you PS3 owners recommend, COD4, MGS4, or Bad Company? How do they compare in Solo and Multiplayer?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #98
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
As i'll be on holidays when NCAA is released (will be away the whole July and maybe more but will carry with me the PS3) I'm thinking on picking up a shooter (I have only sports games in the PS3 so far).

Which one do you PS3 owners recommend, COD4, MGS4, or Bad Company? How do they compare in Solo and Multiplayer?

COD4 is always a good choice. The solo mode is pretty short, but there's a lot of players online for multiplayer. MGS4 has a much better solo game. Not too much feedback on the online play as most are still playing the single player story, but I'm sure that will pick up in a week or two.

Since you mention that you've only played sports games, I'd also give a nod to Warhawk and Resistance as really good games that you can likely pick up used for pretty cheap at this point. Resistance has a good 10-12 hour solo mode. Warhawk is my personal favorite for multiplayer on the PS3. I'm a fan of third person games and there are still plenty of people playing online. They're going to release two new game modes in the upcoming 1.4 enhancements.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #99
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the Xbox Premium will be available for $299 this weekend. No word on whether it's a permanent nationwide cut, but 'new low price' would seem to indicate that it is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319489
Old 06-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #100
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ubisoft with an impressive (at least for consoles) free update to Rainbow Six Vegas 2 including maps, a high stakes realism mode, and some balances to the core game:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193112...stnews;title;2
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote