Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #51
Easy Mac

(Disclaimer: This is my opinion only, so if you think other characters are better, thats cool)
Mock Top 10: (Part 1, 1-5)
1. Mickey Mouse - The Mouse is responsible for everything. Steamboat Mickey was the beginning of the celluloid cartoon. Some may put Bugs Bunny at the top, but the Mouse has lasted longer, has a theme park, and has spawned an empire that will seemingly never die. While he himself hasn't done the movie thing lately, his pioneering ways make him the top in my opinion.

2. Bugs Bunny - I wouldn't be surprised to see the "wascally wabbit" to go #1. He has done more than Mickey in the past 20 years and is on TV all the time. He too has spawned an empire as well, and is the face of the Loony Toons. He is more visible than Mickey these days, but he is the Larry Doby of the draft... he's just as good as the mouse and may be a little better, but the Mouse was the first.

3. Daffy Duck - Once you get out of the top 2, it becomes a much more wide open draft. I could see pick 3 going in a number of directions depending on personal preference. I prefer the duck myself. He's a big name at number 3, but has been stuck in 2nd fiddle mode for a long time. He's not the breakout star of the draft, but he is just as important as Bugs Bunny. "Duck Season, Rabbit Season" is one of the most famous exchanges in cartoon history, and it takes two to tango.

4. Fred Flinstone - He's not the biggest name, and I cold easily see him slip out of the first round for more contemporary characters. However, he is the basis for a lot of the oafish characters you see in cartoons today. His work can easily be seen in the characters of Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin. Plus, he had a hot wife, and Pebbles was hot when she grew up. He also spawned the Jetsons or anti-Flinstones. Of course, there was the two Flinstones movies... so...

5. Scooby-Doo - The dog is by far my favorite cartoon character ever, but he could go anywhere from 3rd to just at the end of the first round. I've seen top 10 lists where he wasn't even listed, but I don't know how he can fall that far. It really doesn't get any better than a scared dog eating a lot and solving crime capers. He also lent his considerable talents to the Laugh-a-lympics, and spawned a movie with the lovely Sarah Michelle Gellar (and the horrible Freddie Prinze).

Man, this is tougher than I thought trying to rank these fairly. The next top 10 later today.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:30 AM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bump

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:21 AM   #53
PsychoCop
Mascot

And with the first pick of the FOFC Cartoon Character Draft...

Despite the severe popularity of the other cartoon characters, and the sheer financial success that they have spawned for their companies... I cannot deny the fact that I was born and raised in the 1980's. Screw picking the popular choices. No cartoon character has affected me in a greater way than this one... he made me jump for joy when he kicked ass... he made me cry when he died... no other character has had the same emotional pull as this one...

#1 - Optimus Prime - Leader of the Autobots, defender of the weak, protector of justice. From the cartoon "The Transformers". So there, I open this one with a SHOCKER!

Last edited by PsychoCop : 02-02-2004 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added bold marks
PsychoCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:47 AM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As much as I love Op (I have a poster in my room), I gotta go with one of the two empire giants with the #2 pick. Got a need for a franchise QB so I can't pass one up just because there's a nice flashy wideout in the draft. I've waffled back and forth as to which I want, but I think I'm going to go with the rabbit over the mouse. Can't go wrong with this pick either way.

1.2 Bugs Bunny

SI

Old 02-02-2004, 07:34 AM   #55
Easy Mac

Got to love the way these drafts start. While Optimus Prime is no doubt a great cartoon character, I just don't see him as top 5 material. Still a good pick, seeing as how PC's next pick won't be until the end of the 2nd round (remember, Snake Draft). This may be a bit more interesting than it could have been.

Nothing much to say on Bugs, he went around where he should, and a very solid first pick in the draft... you could see the elation on SI's face that he still had two franchise players available to him.

Come one Suicane, pick Peter Griffin so we can really have some fun.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:37 AM   #56
PsychoCop
Mascot

Op is grossly underrated. At least he gets his props here, IN THIS THREAD. Boo-Yah! I wanted to grab him before he went out to some lower-seeded draftee team...I love these Snake Drafts. I get 2 consecutive picks when my time comes...

Last edited by PsychoCop : 02-02-2004 at 07:41 AM.
PsychoCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #57
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I thought we might get a separate thread for this.

Could we?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #58
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Looks at clock....

Umm, yeah.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:14 AM   #59
Poli
FOFC Survivor

FWIW, I have sent my pick in via PM. I have been here some time now, but unfortunately unable to pick.

Punks.

Any hoo, I'll be in class until 6 central most likely. If I somehow get to pick then, and it looks possible that I will, then I will announce it.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 AM   #60
Suicane75
Coordinator

Super Bowl hangovers suck DOH!, but with the 3rd pick, Im taking the man who revolutionized something and blah blah blah, I am taking,

Round 1, Pick #3- Homer Simpson.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 02-02-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #61
Easy Mac

Round 1 Pick 4

Ardent Enthusiast picks - Mickey Mouse

chubby is up
Old 02-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #62
Easy Mac

Well, I'm a little surprised that Mickey dropped down to 4, I guess not being in a cartoon of note for the past 50 some odd year (Fantasia 2000 doesn't count) really hurts.

I'm a bit shocked Homer went as high as he did. I think Bart is more of the breakout star of the Simpsons, and the Homer era of the cartoon is among the weakest years of the series. But I guess getting a word in the dictionary is important.... just don't have a cow if I say this is too soon.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:53 PM   #63
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

In truth, I was hoping to nab Homer with my first rounder. I think he's passed son Bart in the cartoon lexicon.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #64
Easy Mac

I dunno, Homer really became popular around the 6th or 7th season, and the show was on the tail-end of its "high-period." I think the last few seasons have really soured my feeling on Homer's value to the show.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #65
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Perhaps in terms of the show itself, but his societal impact continues to grow (like his beer gut). The fact that he was the cartoon star of a Visa ad for the Super Bowl is proof in itself, but everywhere you go, there is Homer.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:14 PM   #66
Suicane75
Coordinator

As soon as this draft was concieved I had Homer in mind as my first pick if he was still available. I understand the cultural impact of other characters but Homer to me defines the Simpsons.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #67
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm very happy with the character that put Disney on the map.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:27 PM   #68
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

some interesting picks so far...
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:32 PM   #69
Easy Mac

Still on the board:
Fred Flinstone
Scooby Doo
The Ducks - Daffy and Donald
Bart Simpson
Papa Smurf
Astro
Loony Toons..........
Gay Disney characters
Odd Japanese characters
Old 02-02-2004, 02:37 PM   #70
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

yay my pick (hopefully) isnt listed in that list, lol.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:38 PM   #71
Easy Mac

Did I forget the Care Bears? or Huckleberry Hound
Old 02-02-2004, 02:42 PM   #72
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

SHHHH...!!!! just kidding... You forgot princess mononoke.!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #73
kingfc22
Head Coach

well, I'm going to be at work until about 9:30 PM PST so I'll send a little list to Easy Mac.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:00 PM   #74
Easy Mac

cool. With the way its going ,you may be back in time. But people are at work, so its ok.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:10 PM   #75
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

#5 Goku (Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT)

All those Japanese and American zealots CAN'T be wrong. The star of 3 cartoon series (and magna). When the creator of the series, Akira Toriyama, tried to make Goku's son the new star of the story the fans revolted and Goku was brought back (and back and back and...). Regarded as one of the best action cartoons of all time, Goku was the star in a series that has over 500 episodes combined and over $3 billion in reltaed merchandise sales.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #76
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
#5 Goku (Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT)

All those Japanese and American zealots CAN'T be wrong. The star of 3 cartoon series (and magna). When the creator of the series, Akira Toriyama, tried to make Goku's son the new star of the story the fans revolted and Goku was brought back (and back and back and...). Regarded as one of the best action cartoons of all time, Goku was the star in a series that has over 500 episodes combined and over $3 billion in reltaed merchandise sales.

Unfortunately, you only get the cartoon. Dragonball was a manga first.

But that's still 500 episodes, 17 movies, and two TV specials.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #77
TredWel
High School Varsity

#6 - Donald Duck

Aside from Mickey, easily the most recognizable Disney character. Brought a girlfriend, nephews, nieces, a rich uncle, whatever the hell Ludwig was, and countless other sidekicks and villians into the Disney mainstream. He and his cadre of mallards appeared in many cartoons and created many spinoffs over the last 70 years.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:35 PM   #78
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
Unfortunately, you only get the cartoon. Dragonball was a manga first.

But that's still 500 episodes, 17 movies, and two TV specials.

I know, DB, DBZ, and DBGT still stand well enough on their own considering most people in the US don't even know about the magna.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #79
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
I know, DB, DBZ, and DBGT still stand well enough on their own considering most people in the US don't even know about the magna.

I think it's a great pick. I wouldn't have taken him #5 with this audience, though.

[venting otaku] Also, GT is as bad as the other seiries are good. Whatta piece o' crap...

[/venting otaku]
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:47 PM   #80
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
I think it's a great pick. I wouldn't have taken him #5 with this audience, though.

[venting otaku] Also, GT is as bad as the other seiries are good. Whatta piece o' crap...

[/venting otaku]

Yeah I know, I figured it probably wouldn't go over to well but w/e. Haven't gotten a chance to see any of GT and I'm not too sad about it either. Everything I have heard is that it sucks Saiyian ass...
Old 02-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #81
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sorry, Chubby, but I got nothing. I've never heard of your guy.

Seriously.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #82
Sublime
High School JV

Hope no one forgets the Jetsons...maybe a few late rounders...
Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #83
Easy Mac

Well, it only took 5 picks before there was a mystery guest. I was actually thinking a Dragonball z guy might go pretty high, but seeing as how I don't know a damn thing about the show, I'll take this at face value.

Donny Duck is a playa, and is always a good pickup. He spawned a million cartoons (Ducktales, Darkwing Duck... ummm some other things).

WSUCougar is on the clock.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:35 PM   #84
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would say Goku's a reach only because of who is picking. If you asked any kid under 10, they would know who he is. But, by that same token, why not Pikachu- he's as well known by kids and *also* well known by others. There are still legends on the board so I think it's a reach.

Then again, I looked up cartoon lists and ran across TVGuide.com's list and they were clearly on crack when they made it. Here's their top 10:

Quote:
1. Bugs Bunny
Quote:
2. Homer Simpson
3. Rocky and Bullwinkle
4. Beavis and Butt-head
5. The Grinch
6. Fred and Barney
7. Angelica Pickles
8. Charlie Brown and Snoopy
9. SpongeBob SquarePants
10. Cartman

I think #4, 7, 9, and 10 show that this list was made by someone under 15 or at least with that mentality as these are not in my top 50. On top of that, I wouldn't have 3 or 5 in the top 10, but they would be in the top 30 (maybe- I haven't done the math). Mickey is a dismal 19th while Tom and Jerry are in the high 40s. Again, people on crack.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-02-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:40 PM   #85
Easy Mac

Also, I know the grinch cartoon is the shiznit, but he's a book character first for me, then a cartoon.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:04 PM   #86
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Also, I know the grinch cartoon is the shiznit, but he's a book character first for me, then a cartoon.

Well, certainly, but it's all relative. I have a list of about 100 cartoon characters I would like to have on my team but only a couple in the first round because a lot would be a stretch.

SI

Old 02-02-2004, 11:16 PM   #87
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Well, certainly, but it's all relative. I have a list of about 100 cartoon characters I would like to have on my team but only a couple in the first round because a lot would be a stretch.

SI

I like to just list everyone...regardless of who is gone. I cross em out as they're taken, and who's at the top of the list is my choice.

Kind of like taking the best available athlete late in the first round of the NFL draft.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:55 PM   #88
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Ruh-ro!

Well, my boy is sitting right there. He was my favorite many, many years ago as a mere lad, and I'll make him my first-rounder now:

SCOOBY DOO

Where are you? We've got some work to do now.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:53 AM   #89
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Excellent choice, WSU. Can't believe he got that far.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:33 AM   #90
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

Quote:
1. Bugs Bunny
2. Homer Simpson
3. Rocky and Bullwinkle
4. Beavis and Butt-head
5. The Grinch
6. Fred and Barney
7. Angelica Pickles
8. Charlie Brown and Snoopy
9. SpongeBob SquarePants
10. Cartman

SI

I'd rather pick Kenny ahead of Cartman but that's just me
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #91
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yikes, my pick is still not up yet.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #92
Easy Mac

BigJohn&TheLions is on the clock
Old 02-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #93
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This party sucks.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #94
Tigercat
College Starter

I've been waiting to make my pick forever it seems like. Perhaps a clock limit is in order?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:19 PM   #95
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

i agree, i think a clock limit is what we need.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:05 PM   #96
Tigercat
College Starter

Bump this baby up, BigJohn is online, hurry up and pick! Before I go insane with draft waiting anxiety!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #97
Easy Mac

For the Love of God pick!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:17 PM   #98
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I PMd him too
Old 02-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #99
Tigercat
College Starter

Maybe this is the Minneasota Vikings strategy? I am ready to run my pick up to the Commish anytime i get a green light!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:25 PM   #100
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

lmao. i agree lets go