Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2003, 11:39 PM   #51
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Tenacious D!!!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:44 PM   #52
Braggadocioussss
In The Penalty Box

Re: Re: The Greatest Rock band ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Braggadocioussss
Other than the fact that I made up this list in about 3 minutes with bands off of the top of my head

Why has this gone completely unnoticed? The list I gave was not the definitive list. I said in plain english that you guys are free to add whomever you like, as long as they fall in the Rock n' Roll category. I don't know if the majority of you just completely skipped the first 30 or so posts in this thread or what. Criminy....

oh by the way.....

FIFTY *edit* FIFTY-ONE POSTS! Hot diggity.

How about this. The Beatles in their day, rocked about as much as the Barenaked Ladies do today. Now before you all go off your freaking rockers, I am not comparing the quality of music, nor am I comparing the talent of both of these bands. I am merely comparing how their music sounds in relation to the other music on the scene at the time. Who else was around in the Beatles prime? Cream! And in their later years...Sabbath! I'm sure some jackass will still take that out of text. You know what I have to say to him? Mittens.

Last edited by Braggadocioussss : 02-03-2003 at 11:49 PM.
Braggadocioussss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:23 AM   #53
McSweeny
College Starter

ok i'll take it out of context...

how can you say that Sabbath is better than the Beatles!!!!
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:05 AM   #54
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Nobody has heard of Dredg, but I suggest they get a shot at being on this list.. They are refreshing compared to todays "radio" rock music, and have drawn many comparisons to Pink Floyd.

So why dontchall go give um a lissun now?

http://boss.streamos.com/real/interscope/dredg/elcielo/video/sameolroad/00_sameolroad.ram?siteid=site

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:06 AM   #55
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Other way around.

God of Rock and Roll is Buddy Holly.

I heart anrhydeddu.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:26 AM   #56
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Beatles? Metallica (the early years)? Why argue when you can have it both ways...

http://www.sensoryresearch.com/~star...eatallica.html

This is pure genius:

FOR HORSEMEN

The day breaks, your mind aches

You find that all the pangs of Famine

Linger on when she no longer feeds you

Sinner once, sinner twice

You find that in its die-hard ruthless metal fury

Time just seems to heed you

And in your eyes you’re King Nothing

No sign of love behind the tears

Ride Four Horsemen

Oh Lars go get me one more beer

Don't stay home, go on out

A quartet of deliverance rides for you

Upon this nite nothing you can do

You want it, you need it

Pestilence all that’s left

For what you’ve had to endure

Death to you for sure

The day breaks, your mind aches

Your girlfriend takes you to

A lame-ass poser Winger concert

Fucking forget her

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-04-2003 at 07:29 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:09 AM   #57
breier
n00b

The Prostate Plugs
breier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 AM   #58
cuervo72
Head Coach

They're not the best ever, but I believe the Police should at least be mentioned here.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:06 AM   #59
clintl
College Starter

Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Rock band ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Braggadocioussss
How about this. The Beatles in their day, rocked about as much as the Barenaked Ladies do today.

Other than the Rolling Stones, name an early '60s band that rocked harder than the Beatles on their early albums. In case you have forgotten, that was the era of doo wop bands and early Motown soul, until the Beatles changed everything. Bands like The Who, Cream, and the Kinks didn't come along until a little later.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:14 AM   #60
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
please add Men Without Hats

thank you
Old 02-04-2003, 10:43 AM   #61
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between pop and rock, at least as it's being used here. Why was The Beatles a pop band again? Because their music was popular or because they didn't "rock?" In the early 60's, they were rock. Why do you think their music caused such a revolution?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:58 AM   #62
Neel
n00b

I have to get involved in this now...
The Beatles created the business as you know it today. They changed the way contracts were written, how publishing deals were made between labels and artist, and how the recording industry viewed talent in general.
They changed the way tours were booked and run. Artist began to receive advances for tour dates after the Beatles proved a band could sell tickets on a regular basis.

In 1969 the Rolling Stones took it all to another level. Learning from the Beatles business dealings, a very smart Mick Jagger began to run the Stones business interest in much the same way. The Stones created Rolling Stones Records and did NOT do what the Beatles did with Apple and get involved in anything more than providing the music for a parent label (Atlantic) to manufacture and distribute.
The Stones were the first band to tour with their own light and sound system, and custom stages for that matter.

So...The Beatles gave us an industry that wasn't run any longer just by a few label guys with a team of producers and writers...and if you didn't play ball their way, do their songs, with them owning the publishing..you were out.
Of course, the industry still is run that way in some areas...look at the boy bands and the cookie cutter blonde singers who dance and can't sing, play or write...

Thank goodness the Beatles came along...in the new climate I have been able to make 15 records and see the globe.
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:01 PM   #63
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Here's another vote for the Beatles. They redefined rock and roll from their beginning to their newer style later. You'd be hard pressed to find someone not influenced by them. But they were more than influential. They obviously had talent too by looking at their success. I realize its a matter of taste since a lot of the bands listed come later and would be considered "harder", but pound for pound I'll take the Beatles.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote