Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #51
Franklinnoble
Banned

Re: Re: OT - Mispronouncing, against all obstacles

Quote:

Good topic Kickstand! It's not often that someone nearing 10,000 posts gets a new nickname that is sure to stick. On that basis alone, this thread is a classic.

I think scooper deserves, like, an award or something for taking this thread from "good" to "classic" with one simple, poignant, and brilliant response.

I think R. Lee Ermey said it best here....

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 05-01-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Anyone still pronounce dump truck as "dumtruck?"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #53
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Or what about someone who says that another person lacks "tack." Uh, that's tact.

Maybe they don't have a tack.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #54
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

People who grew up in Milwaukee say "Muh-wah-kee". This used to drive me nuts since I am originally from Minneso-da.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #55
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Or what about someone who says that another person lacks "tack." Uh, that's tact.

Or someone that takes things for "granite".

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 05-01-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:39 PM   #56
Franklinnoble
Banned

Personally, I think it's kinda cool when you hear foreigners pronounce 'shit' 'shite' or 'ass' 'arse.' I'll watch any movie with cockneyed swearing just on that basis alone.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:40 PM   #57
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Anyone still pronounce dump truck as "dumtruck?"

No, but I was working in the church nursery once (don't ask me how I got roped into that), and this little 3-year old boy was soooo proud of his daddy. His daddy was just the king of the universe. This little boy had to tell EVERYONE what his daddy did, and tell it loud. Sing daddy's praises!

His daddy drove a dumptruck. But the poor little boy couldn't say it quite right. And his sentence structure was a little off. But I about peed my pants with laughter and panic at the same time as this little boy ran around the nursery shouting at the top of his lungs, "My daddy is a dumb-fuck! My daddy is a dumb-fuck!"

Good thing I knew what his daddy did for a living, or I'd have had some serious questions about their family dynamics.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:40 PM   #58
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

SWMBO and I both love sushi, and we always get a "cultural chuckle" when one of us orders the smoked salmon nigiri. Invariably, no matter which of the six or eight different places we've ordered sushi, the person of Asian descent taking our order repeats back something to the effect of: "1 shrimp tempura roll, 3 smoked saL-mon nigiri and 1 tuna nigiri."

"Sal-mon" and "nu-ku-lar" (and I'm sure there are others) are such common mispronunciations that it is easy to see why they perpetuate. People hear others say it that way, and it ends up "validating" what they hear themselves say. Neither of those two bother me any more. (If I recall, didn't Jimmy Carter also pronounce it "nu-ku-lar?")

Somewhat on the subject here: did anyone else just LOVE the way Jock Ewing used to say, "bidness."

"J.R., that ain't the right way to do bidness and you know it boy!"

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-01-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #59
KWhit
Coordinator

Buried - "bare-eed"

Egg - "ehg"

I actually had to learn the entire phonetic alphabet for college. I had a REALLY horrible southern accent that I chose to lose. It took a lot of work, but I feel much better about my public speaking now that I've done it.

I have the "official" (most recognized) pronouncing dictionary for American English if anyone has anything they're unsure about and want me to look up.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:48 PM   #60
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit

I have the "official" (most recognized) pronouncing dictionary for American English if anyone has anything they're unsure about and want me to look up.

How about "Linux"?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #61
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Buried in some parts is pronounced "bard".

But all of these great and amusing anecdotes are not what QS is after, is it? All of these examples can point to dialect or cultural differences. My favorite is that every folks from Kansas or Kansas City (including my wife) pronounce wash as "wersh". I say it as wAHsh, as any decent Yankee would.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #62
KWhit
Coordinator

Linux?

Um, this book doesn't have crappy operating systems in it.

Sorry.

Actually, my copy was last updated in the 90s so it's not in here.

Last edited by KWhit : 05-01-2003 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Somewhat on the subject here: did anyone else just LOVE the way Jock Ewing used to say, "bidness."

"J.R., that ain't the right way to do bidness and you know it boy!"

Man, how old ARE you? Next thing you know you'll be reminiscing about Texaco's Star Theater or something.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #64
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Another one of my favorites is the traditional English and subsequently, New England way of changing:

Gloucester to "glowsta"
Worcester to "woosta"
Old 05-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #65
Samdari
Roster Filler

How else whould one pronounce Win - Doze?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #66
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
Man, how old ARE you? Next thing you know you'll be reminiscing about Texaco's Star Theater or something.

I ain't touching that one, nope, no way.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #67
Vince
Pro Starter

What about good old Missouri? My mom and all of her family (her generation and older) that we visited out there pronounce it Mi-zur-ra, while anyone there my generation or younger that I ran into (granted I was only there once, for like 3 days), and most people I know out here on the west coast, pronounce it as it looks, Mi-zur-ree.

EDIT: because I can't spell things phoenetically.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 05-01-2003 at 03:35 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:37 PM   #68
KWhit
Coordinator

According to my dictionary, Mi-zur-ree is preferred, but it lists Mi-zur-ra as an alternate/secondary pronunciation.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #69
Bee
Pro Starter

The only thing that bothers me more than someone mispronouncing a simple word is when someone corrects me when I do it.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:49 PM   #70
Franklinnoble
Banned

I like to deliberately mispronounce names of places just to tweak the natives... such as:

Arkansas - Nothing says "I think your state is entirely irrelevant, and therefore, so is your job." to a state trooper like pronouncing his homeland "Ar-kans-ass." I did this when I got pulled over in one of their obvious, Roscoe P. Coltrane-style speed traps, and needed a means to voice my indignation. Needless to say, I was not let off with a warning.

Tempe, AZ - For some reason, when I first moved out there, it'd really upset the natives when I called it "Temp." Personally, I think they should have kept the city's original name (Harper's Ferry). Think of the clever entendre with regards to Mayor Neil Guliano (anybody who gets this, please explain to the rest of the board - I'm in enough trouble already)
Old 05-01-2003, 04:20 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow! Lots of gems in this thread. Where to start...

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Or our esteemed president who can't say "nuclear".

I mean what the hell does "nuculer" mean?

There are a lot of things our esteemed president can't pronounce. I believe they are called "words".

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
That was my favorite part about the buildup to the war with Iraq... you just KNEW Dubya's speechwriters and spin doctors were cringing and convulsing every time he said that, no matter how many times they'd had the following dialogue:

"Umm, Mr. President, it's pronounced 'noo-clee-ear', sir."

"Right. Nookyoular. Got it, thanks."

Good times!

This had me laughing hysterically at my computer screen. (And subsequently thinking of the Homer-joins-the-Navy ep of the Simpsons)

Ditto for the Chikophile line, Lizzy Borden reference, the "My daddy is a dumb-fuck! My daddy is a dumb-fuck!" story, the "Ar-kans-ass" state trooper and the vivid imagery of driving through the deep south, and, in general, the use of Kickstand in this thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
My mom pronounces lawyer as "Law-Yer" instead of "Loy-Yer". She always said that she was just pronouncing it as it was spelled...

I know this has already been mentioned, but I'll throw in the Merriam-Webster site just for some credibility:

Main Entry: law·yer
Pronunciation: 'lo-y&r, 'loi-&r
Pronunciation Guide: \o\ as aw in law
Pronunciation Guide: \&\ as a and u in abut

(isn't that how Canadians spell "about"? Or should that be aboot? )

Some other fun ones to consider are commonly misunderstood phrases like "dog eat dog world" or "for all intents and purposes". And I won't even go into song lyrics and how people don't hear those correctly.

It's good to see some high humor can every once in a while creep onto this board. Damn, this is a great thread.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-01-2003 at 04:37 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:36 PM   #72
Craptacular
College Starter

I forgot to mention that I live in Wisconsin, not Wesconsen. Some of the ABC / ESPN college football announcers really need to learn that. I think the folks in Ell-annoy know what I'm talkin' about.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:47 PM   #73
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's the Jag-warrs, not Jag- wires.

That one may be dialect, but then again, I've heard people from all over pronounce it wrong. I think it's just bad pronunciation.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:32 PM   #74
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
It's the Jag-warrs, not Jag- wires.

And then again, some would insist that it's JAG-yoo-ars. Buit they're from Britain, what the hell would they know about speaking English?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #75
Buzzbee
College Starter

Funny thing happend on the way to the forum. As I was driving home one of the sports talk guys I listen to was talking about the greatest duos in the history of the NBA. In doing so, he used the phrase "in the annals of the NBA...." The only problem is that he pronounced it ain-uhls, rather than ann-uhls. I had this VERY unpleasant mental image of NBA sphincters. Blech!!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:18 PM   #76
TroyF
Coordinator

My dad cannot say the word follow. He pronounces it "frollow"

If he's paying attention to it close, he'll catch himself. (kind of like the girl with the "yellow" problem above)

Being a broadcaster for a junior college team, I can't tell you how many times I wasn't able to get with the opposing coach before the game. (always their fault, I made every effort, including calling a week before the game) You can guess what happened when there were some difficult to pronounce names on the roster.

The play by play man used to misprounounce one of OUR players names. I nearly killed him one broadcast.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:39 PM   #77
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The one that's been bugging me lately is seeing the word "dominate" used in place of "dominant". I believe this error stems from mispronunciation - "DOM-i-nit" and "DOM-i-nent" sound very similar, and I would suspect that many who misuse this word in print also do so in speech.

I think Anrhydeddu ("ANN-ree-DED-doo"?) makes a great point that speech impediments and hearing problems are a contributing factor. Most young children will mispronounce certain words due to syllabic complexity - the example of library pronounced as "LIE-berry" is a common one (I know I was guilty of this). To a certain extent, I think some mispronounced words carry into adulthood out of habit. It takes a conscious effort to change something like this - I remember making a decision to stop pronouncing February as "FEB-yoo-airy" and pronounce it more like it's spelled. It's an awkward word to pronounce as spelled, and I'm sure that's the main reason the common pronunciation differs. That concept also applies to words like worcestershire ("WUH-steh-sure"?)

Regional and cultural dialect influences are also another big factor. I have an uncle that pronounces our home state as "WARSH-ing-ton" - I always have to resist asking him where the "R" is in the spelling. My grandpa always said "CRIK" for creek, etc.

Things like this have always interested me - I remember the first time I read Pygmalion and being amazed that people in Great Britain could pick out where a person was from simply from their accent. I think a study of linguistics would be a fascinating pursuit as it touches on a range of topics - geography, psychology, sociololgy, etc.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:18 PM   #78
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

The other day as I was on the air I started talking about Antonin Scalia, the supreme court justice.

As I'm saying his name my brain kicks in and says "you're mispronouncing this. It's Sca-LEE-ah, not SCALE-yah"."

Didn't help. For three minutes I mispronounced his name again and again.

And BTW, Franklinnoble... either admit you're Bill Simmons or quit stealing his act. He's not famous enough to have an impersonator.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:48 PM   #79
korme
Go Reds

One of my friends from school is the worst spellers/typers/english users I've ever seen. He mis-pronounces, mis-types, and generally messes everything up.

That said, there's no one I like talking to more online.. great for some laughs..
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:57 PM   #80
korme
Go Reds

My grandma says "warsh". "I'm gonna go warsh the dishes".

Umm, G-ma, there isn't a R in there. Sorry.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:17 PM   #81
ColtCrazy
College Starter

If you come to Louisville for the derby, they sell t-shirts with all the different ways people say the name.

Looey-ville
Lu-a-vul
Lewis-ville
Loo-a-ville
Luh-vul

For the most part, locals say "Loo-a-ville" so you know when someone isn't from there.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:32 PM   #82
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Sort of along the lines of LIE-berry, I have a friend who's last name is Newbury, but the local yokels around here insist on pronouncing it new-BERRY when its most definately pronounced NEW-burry because the dude's from the UK! Oh well.

The one I struggled with the most growing up was "often" as I would always pronounce it as if the 't' were non-existant -- offen. Still catch myself doing it on occasion.

Another friend of mine is an amateur linguist and an Indian (as in Asian Indian) from West Virginia with the slight southern accent and all--talk about an unusual combination. She can imitate so many accents so well, it's hilarious.

Last edited by dacman : 05-01-2003 at 11:33 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:50 PM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
One of my friends from school is the worst spellers/typers/english users I've ever seen. He mis-pronounces, mis-types, and generally messes everything up.

That said, there's no one I like talking to more online.. great for some laughs..

Is his name Brutus?

I'm sorry, Shorty, I couldn't resist. Don't "filet" me (another word for the gristle).

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:43 AM   #84
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, for those of you who are sticklers, maybe you are familiar with a pitcher from the Orioles, named Sidney Ponson. He's from Aruba, by the way.

Anyway, as you may know, his name is universally pronounced by broadcasters and such as "pon-SONE." Seems pretty much a lock - everybody agrees.

I've only heard one person say it differently, pronouncing it "PON-son." That person, of course, was Sidney Ponson, inviting TV viewers to join up for some silly baseball cruise or somesuch. Regardless, his own pronunciation was as clear as a bell.

So, what if everybody who knows you says "pon-SONE" but you and your family say it "PON-son" - what do you do then? "pon-SONE" it is, I guess.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:34 AM   #85
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
How about "Linux"?

From elsewhere on the net:
Quote:
At the Linux Online! site http://www.linux.org/info/ it says:
"Although many variations of the word Linux exist, it is most often
pronounced with a short " i " and with the first syllable stressed, as in
LIH-nucks."

Here is what Torvalds himself has to say:
http://www.linux.org/info/sounds/english.au
Old 05-02-2003, 10:56 AM   #86
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
So, what if everybody who knows you says "pon-SONE" but you and your family say it "PON-son" - what do you do then? "pon-SONE" it is, I guess.

Personally, I usually pronounce it "Pond-scum". He was on my fantasy team a few years back. Produced well for one year and then pitched like crap.

Actually, I'm surprised that Ponson and others whose names are continually mispronounced don't make a bigger stink about it.

Many people I know throw a hissy fit when you screw up thier name. Back when I managed a Blockbuster, we were supposed to say the customers name as we checked out their movies. My employees complained to me, because they were uncomfortable doing it and customers would complain if they said the name wrong. (Example: How are we supposed to know when STEPHEN is "STE-ven" or "Ste-FAHN")

I agreed and bucked Corporate. Many people are extremely sensitive about their names.

Back to Ponson. I would say that despite what the sportcasters do, the corect pronunciation would be "PON-son". After all, the family should know best.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:37 AM   #87
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

split: As my name is Stephen, it is pronounced STE-ven because if it was the other way, it would be spelled Stephan.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:20 PM   #88
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Supposably for supposedly. Skin.... crawling..... must..... stop...listening...

That one drives me ape shit....

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
My dad always pronounced Canada as "Canider."

I always preferred calling it 'Canadia'

Which brings me to my Mom...who learned words like "wan" (past tense of to win), doesn't pronounce library correctly, and I think physically can't pronounce 'Australia' the way the rest of us do...it always comes out "Austraayyya". Though that might be how they say it down under....
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:35 PM   #89
cuervo72
Head Coach

My Mom just reminded me of another one.....yoo-mid (for humid).
Old 05-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #90
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
split: As my name is Stephen, it is pronounced STE-ven because if it was the other way, it would be spelled Stephan.

That makes sense to me, but thie kid in question had his name spelled Stepheen. Go figure.

The only reason I remember it so clearly is that three weeks after the hissy fit, I ended up hiring him and he turned out to be one of my best employees.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:55 PM   #91
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand

Well, when Roy Oswalt first hit the scene with the Astros, everyone pronounced his last name "Oz-walt". However, after several months of great pitching, he started to become more well known. So instead of having to hear everyone pronounce his name incorrectly, he sent out a press release saying that the correct pronounciation is actually "Ohs-walt". Now, he's been in the league for a couple of years, and you never hear his name mispronounced anymore. So mispronounciations can be fixed, but you have to catch them early, before they become to ingrained...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:15 PM   #92
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Or you could be like that ass Royal Ivey who has asked people to say his name three different ways in three years for UT basketball.

(I believe the current incarnation is RO-yal as opposed to "Royal" and roy-AL)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-02-2003 at 02:16 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote