Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2003, 04:27 PM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Can we just bring back Don Shula?

Didn't the Dolphins under-achieve with Shula, and Johnson, before Wanny? This isn't just a Wanny issue, this has been going on for well over a decade. That year - was it 1993? - that Shula was still there and they had 20+ former #1 picks on the roster and didn't even make the playoffs...this is an organizational thing. They're like an upper-crust version of the Bengals.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:48 PM   #52
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. Shula's and Johnson's 4-year records were very similar. I'm guessing Wanny's will fall in the same range. I think they should keep a few key players, but go into full rebuilding mode from the coaching staff on down the line. Maybe go through some lean years, get in good shape with the salary cap, get some new blood. And for god's sake, get a good young QB to build around.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #53
Robbiero67
Mascot

First of all, if you want to talk about overrated teams in the NFL, the 1993 Dolphins should be at the top of the list. They had a bunch of 1st rders, just so happened that most of them should never have been taken there.

As for saying the Dolphins are an upper-crust version of the Bengals, well that just makes no sense. The Bengals have been terrible for well over a decade, they have given their fans no reason to hope or even have an ounce of confidence in the team, the coaches, or the organization (until possibly this year, although I'm sure Brown will find a way to screw up the momentum...just give him time).

The Dolphins, on the other hand, are one of winningest franchises of all-time in any sport. It has been awhile since they have won the big game, but they consistently make the playoffs and hold a solid nucleus. Huizenga, and before him Robbie, were and are not afraid to make necessary changes to win, but are also loyal and will give players/coaches time to develop. Though they have developed a December Fade Syndrome in the past decade, the Dolphins are still year in and year out one of the better NFL teams. The Bengals, well, no explanation is necessary.

Now if you want to argue which is more painful to lose constantly (i.e., Bengals) or to get close and lose, or to have high expectations, get close and lose (i.e., Dolphins) then I think you might have a point. It'd definitely be harder to be a Fins fan in that respect.
Robbiero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 07:27 PM   #54
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Didn't the Dolphins under-achieve with Shula, and Johnson, before Wanny? This isn't just a Wanny issue, this has been going on for well over a decade. That year - was it 1993? - that Shula was still there and they had 20+ former #1 picks on the roster and didn't even make the playoffs...this is an organizational thing. They're like an upper-crust version of the Bengals.

That was the year Marino went down in like the fifth game of the year.

I dont think they underachieved in the Shula-Johnson era they simply werent that talented. Unless you were a die hard fin fan, youd be hard pressed to name one RB in the Shula era. And during Johnsons tenure they were just building this defense. If he was here when they reached their peak Im sure theyd have done better.

To say this defense isnt talented is short sighted. Sure they didnt step up last night, but one game isnt indicitive of a whole season. The defense is stacked with pro bowlers, and believe it or not it takes talent to be a pro bowler. They just dont step up when there needed most and that goes to preperation, scheming, and motivation. These are all things the Head coach and his staff need to provide.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote