Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2003, 01:13 PM   #51
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
They aren't completely apples and oranges. Though he doesn't have the violent streak that Phillips has, he does show the same "I'll never get in trouble and if I do it is some else’s fault" attitude. The kid really thought he could just go to the NCAA and lie to them and just because he can carry the rock, nothing was going to happen to him. Now that he is seeing that didn't work do you think he is going to take blame and be mature about it? Nope. He is going to blame the university and the NCAA for "misleading" him. He is proving to be a guy who demands respect from everyone while showing respect for no one.

To me it is apples and oranges. Like I said, Clarett is immature. There's plenty of D1 college players who have the exact same attitude. They don't go around beating up their girlfriends and threatening to kill them.

I have no idea of Clarett will grow up and since I'm not a OSU fan I don't really care one way or the other, but in my eyes he's just a typical spoiled athlete that got caught and tried to lie his way out of it and failed to do so. That's just not the same as someone with the type of problems that Philips had.

Considering the attitude of most professional athletes, Clarett should fit in just fine in the NFL.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 01:16 PM   #52
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sturmie
nope, ur right--that was Phillips...taken before Heisman winner Eddie George i believe.

i think a lot of pro teams would have taken a chance on Clarett if players like Phillips panned out (Randy Moss, although troubled off the field, is at least a star on it 90% of the time and most teams can look past his problems when he produces), but since so many players haven't panned out, i don't see a pro team taking Clarett (if he doesn't play another college game) before the late 2nd or early 3rd round.

sturmie

Again, I think this is lumping different problems all in the same group. If Clarett did what Philips did, I'd agree with you 100%. I don't even consider Clarett's problems to be as serious as Moss' problems. If more things come out about Clarett, then I might agree. But at this point, I see Clarett as a typical spoiled athlete who lies. Not exactly an unknown in the NFL.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 01:28 PM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

I agree with what Bee said. Pathological lying and sociopathic violence aren't exactly equivalent.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:34 PM   #54
sturmie
Mascot

i'm not saying they're equivalent--i'm saying "off the field problems" are "off the field problems"...trouble is spelled the same any way u slice it and if i were an NFL team, i wouldn't risk a high pick (and millions of $$) on someone that trouble has followed ever since he's been in the limelight.

just my 2 pennies....sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 02:16 PM   #55
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
Nope, but it was among many things he did that showed he wasn't mature enough to handle the NFL. It wasn't the "speed of the game," it was the complete lack of mental maturity that caused Phillips problems (and has everywhere else he has went). Clarett is showing the same character.

I think there are plenty of immature players who still do good in the league. Randy Moss has almost no maturity, but still is one of the best recievers. Owens is the same. I feel talent has a much greater factor than anything else. If someone has the talent, more than likely they will do good. My grandpa is mature, he ain't winning no rushing title in the NFL. The guy can't walk.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:09 PM   #56
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

There's another facet to this whole NFL eligibility no one seems to have picked up on. Just when do your three years start? Clarett enrolled at OSU in Jan of 02. He may be able to successfully argue that his three years actually started with the 2001 class since he enrolled in the 2001-2002 school year.

Given all the bridges he's burned at the college level, combined with his considerable talent, I don't find it a great reach for the NFL to reach out with a compromise and say yeah, he is in the 2001-2002 year group and can enter the 2004 draft. Otherwise he risks joining that elite group of losers (Cecil Collins, Ben Gay, etc.) who burned so many bridges early on they never had a chance to develop or get their act together.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #57
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I think it's three years after high school graduation. He graduated in December 2001, which would make him eligible in December 2004, still too late for next season. Under the current rules, the earliest he could be drafted is April 2005.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote