Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #51
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Totally agree with Racer. I appreciate what Polian built in Indy, but it was time for a change and his son just wasn't up to the challenge. I'm not convinced Caldwell is either and I think he's gone as soon as a GM is hired.

I would think a solid GM would be enticed by the Colts' situation.

ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #52
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I'm really excited about the Colts off season so I made a very, very, very earlier mock draft.

1. Indianapolis Colts (2-14) – Andrew Luck, QB – Stanford
This pick could end up being traded if the Colts decide to keep Peyton Manning and take on his $28 million dollar signing bonus due on March 8th. I can’t imagine Luck, who has been billed as the most NFL ready QB prospect in some time, or any other QB prospect rated as a top 10 draft talent for that matter willing to sit behind Manning for two to four years.

Projected Trade: Washington Redskins trade the 1.06 pick, 2.07 pick, and their 2013 1st round pick to the St. Louis Rams for the 1.02 and 3.02 picks.

It’s hard to project trades but the new CBA makes trading up in the draft a much more attractive proposition then it has been in the past. Just think about the difference between what Sam Bradford and Cam Newton got paid. It’s staggering. Unless, the Rams fall in love with a prospect such as Mat Kahil I think they’ll look to deal this pick to the highest bidder

2. Washington Redskins (from St. Louis Rams (2-14))** – Robert Griffin III, QB – Baylor
The Browns have more draft assets but Dan Synder has never shied away from big moves. He also has a head coach in Mike Shanahan who seems to prefer QBs that are best when they’re on the run - John Elway, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, and a failed attempt with Donovan McNabb.

3. Minnesota Vikings (3-13) – Matt Kahil, OT – USC
The Vikings thought they had a special tackle when they took Bryant McKinnie with the 7th overall pick back in 2002. McKinnie didn’t live up to his billing though and then came into camp this year fat and out of shape. He was subsequently released. Pairing Kahil with Peterson could be special if Kahil is able to live up to hype of being an elite tackle prospect. He also could help the Vikings, who gave up 49 sacks – the 5th most sacks in the NFL, contain the Packers, Lions, and Bears pass rushers.

4. Cleveland Browns (4-12) – Quinton Coples, DL – North Carolina
Trent Richardson is certainly a possibility here but the depth of talent at RB in the NFL seems to cause elite RBs to fall in the draft. Adrian Peterson, who was considered a truly special RB, fell to 7th overall in the 2007 draft. More than likely, I think the Browns take a defensive player that becomes a hot commodity between now and the draft. It could be Coples whose stock has cooled after a disappointing senior season but his stock could get very hot with a great combine.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12) – Morris Claiborne, CB - LSU
Trent Richardson is a possibility here as well. However, the Buccaneers gave up a league high 494 points this season. Claiborne could help slow down the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers passing games.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins (5-11) ) **– Jonathan Martin, OT – Stanford
Jason Smith, the 2nd overall pick in the 2009 draft, and Rodger Safford, the 33rd overall pick in the 2010 draft, have not panned out as the Rams tackle tandem of the future. The Rams in fact gave up a league high 55 sacks this season. Andrew Luck’s college blindside is considered by scouts to be an athletic tackle and could be viewed as a better tackle prospect then Riley Reiff in the eyes of the Rams front office.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11) – Justin Blackmon, WR – Oklahoma State
Jacksonville featured the league’s worst passing attack this season managing just 2,179 total passing yards. Six teams actually managed to at least double that. The Jaguars’ receivers may be just as much at fault as Blaine Gabbert for that statistic as they appear to be dreadful. Providing with Gabbert with a playmaker such as Blackmon would be a good start to fixing that. Blackmon has a good chance of being available here because it usually takes a receiver bigger and taller than Blackmon to go in the top five.

8. Miami Dolphins (6-10) * - Landry Jones, QB – Oklahoma
Both Jake Locker and Christian Ponder went higher than many expected they would. With the new CBA, I expect the pattern to repeat itself in the 2012 draft. The Dolphins lack a franchise signal caller and may view Jones as their QB of the future.

9. Carolina Panthers (6-10) * - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB –Alabama
The Panthers could easily take a WR with their 1st round pick as their top playmaker, Steve Smith, will turn 33 this offseason. They could just as easily draft an elite CB prospect to try to counteract Drew Brees and the Saints seemingly unstoppable passing attack.

Projected trade: N.Y. Jets trade the 1.16 and 2.15, and 6.15 picks for the 1.10, 4.10, and 5.10 picks.
The N.Y. Jets have shown a willingness to trade up in the past when they traded up to the 5th overall pick in 2009 to select Mark Sanchez. They were also a serious player in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes despite already having Darrelle Revis. If they believe Trent Richardson is a special player, they may give a major effort to trade up.

10. N.Y. Jets (from Buffalo Bills (6-10) )** – Trent Richardson, RB – Alabama
Rex Ryan seems like the type of coach who takes prides in having a great running game. However, the Jets averaged just 3.8 yards per carry this season and finished 22nd in total rushing yards. You can’t really say he’d fall to 16th either. Another team like Cincinnati could just as easily trade up for Richardson or a team like the Chiefs or Cardinals could surprise everyone by taking him should he fall that far. Case in point, the Vikings didn’t hesitate to take Adrian Peterson in 2007 despite already having a perfectly adequate back in Chester Taylor.

11. Kansas City Chiefs (7-9) * - Devon Still, DT/NT – Penn State
The Chiefs gave up the 7th most rushing yardage in 2011 and NT Kelly Gregg is 35 years old. Also, Chiefs GM Scott Pioli has a history of targeting defensive linemen in drafts.

12. Seattle Seahawks (7-9) * - Michael Floyd, WR – Notre Dame

The Seahawks managed just 15 passing touchdowns this season and finished 22nd in total passing yards. Sidney Rice has played in just 15 games in two years for the Seahawks. The Seahawks probably need to upgrade from Tavaris Jackson at QB but it is also possible he just needs a playmaker who is consistently in the lineup.

13. Arizona Cardinals (8-8) – Riley Reiff, OT - Iowa

The Cardinals surrendered 54 sacks this season. Only the St. Louis Rams gave up more sacks.

14. Dallas Cowboys (8-8) – Fletcher Cox, DE/DT – Mississippi State
Starting DE Jason Hatcher turns 33 in the offseason. The Cowboys may have secondary issues, but as of now it would be a reach to take any CB with this pick.

15. Philadelphia Eagles (8-8) – Luke Kuechly, ILB – Boston College
The Eagles had a shaky linebacker unit this season and may look to upgrade it this offseason via the draft.

16. Buffalo Bills (from N.Y. Jets (8-8) )- Nick Perry, OLB/DE – USC
The Bills finished tied for 27th in the league in total sacks with 29 sacks. With Tom Brady in their division, they make look to the draft to upgrade their pass rush. Perry could potentially play OLB in the Bills 3-4 base and OLB/DE in Bills 4-3 base.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Raiders (8-8)) – David DeCastro, G – Stanford
The Bengals averaged 3.9 yards per carry this season. An offensive guard like DeCastro could give the Bengals a tough rushing attack again.

18. San Diego Chargers (8-8) – Mark Barron, S - Alabama
Mark Barron’s draft stock in on the rise and while the Chargers don’t have a dire need at safety, they could stand to upgrade at the position.

19. Chicago Bears (8-8) – Kendall Wright, WR - Baylor

The Bears could really use another playmaker besides Matt Forte. Floyd could finally give Cutler a legitimate QB to throw the ball to.

20. Tennessee Titans (9-7) – Sam Montgomery, DE – LSU
The Titans finished 31st in sacks and gave up 4.5 ypc this season. I think they stand a good chance of selecting a defensive linemen whether it be a pass rusher or run stopper.

Projected 1st Round Draft Picks:
21. Denver Broncos (8-8) - Ryan Tannehill, QB – Texas A&M
22. Houston Texans (10-6) – Mohamed Sanu, WR - Rutgers
23. Detroit Lions (10-6) – Alfonzo Dennard, CB - Nebraska
24. Cleveland Browns (from Falcons (10-6) ) – Coby Fleener, TE - Stanford
25. Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) – Lamar Miller, RB – Miami (Fla.)
26. N.Y. Giants (9-7) – Cordy Glenn, G - Georgia
27. New England Patriots (from Saints (10-6)) – Jerel Worthy, DE/DT, Michigan State
28. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4) – Dwayne Allen, TE - Clemson
29. Baltimore Ravens (12-4) – Don’t’a Hightower, ILB - Alabama
30. San Francisco 49ers (13-3) – Jared Crick, DE/DET - Nebraska
31. New England Patriots (13-3) – Janoris Jenkins, CB – North Alabama
32. Green Bay Packers (15-1) – Melvin Ingram, OLB/DE – South Carolina

2nd Round
1. St. Louis Rams – Alshon Jeffery, WR – South Carolina
2. Indianapolis Colts – Peter Konz, C - Wisconsin
3. Minnesota Vikings – Chase Minnifield, CB - Virginia
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Zach Brown, OLB – North Carolina
5. Cleveland Browns – Mike Adams, OT – Ohio State
6. Jacksonville Jaguars – Whitney Mericlus, DE –Illinois
7. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins)** - Lavonte David, OLB - Nebraska
8. Carolina Panthers * - Brandon Thompson, DT - Clemson
9. Buffalo Bills – Vontaze Burfict, ILB – Arizona State
10. Miami Dolphins * - Brandon Washington, G – Miami (Fla.)
11. Seattle Seahawks – Nick Foles, QB - Arizona
12. Kansas City Chiefs – Zebrie Sanders, OT – Florida State
13. Dallas Cowboys – Stephen Gilmore, CB – South Carolina
14. Philadelphia Eagles – Nick Toon, WR - Wisconsin
15. Buffalo Bills (from N.Y. Jets)** - Andre Branch, DE/OLB - Clemson
16. New England Patriots (From Oakland Raiders) – Jayron Hosley, CB – Virginia Tech
17. San Diego Chargers – Dontari Poe, NT - Memphis
18. Chicago Bears – Bruce Irvin, OLB – West Virginia
19. Philadelphia Eagles (from Arizona Cardinals) – Bobby Wagner, OLB – Utah State
20. Tennessee Titans – Billy Winn, DT/DE - Boise State

* - order will be determined by coin flip.
** - Hypothetical trade
Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #53
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Pretty sure there's no connection at all. None has ever been listed in the UW media guide.

I was able to figure out that Jevon had a brother named Jermaine(who died) and that was fucking up my search.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is it worth 2 #1 picks to sign Mike Wallace to an offer sheet? Seems like a move the Pats or some other first division club should make. The Steelers have to get something done early cause matching an offer could be challenging.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #55
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-I suppose an exclusive tag could be used(if it exists).
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #56
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Richardson won't go to TB since they have Blount. I really hope he doesn't go to the Jets.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #57
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok I really want Blackmon, I'm sick and tired of drafting OL early in the draft, get an OL from free agency. This kid is going to be a beast at the NFL level. If you can keep Lloyd, this offense gets two deep threats.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #58
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I'm so torn on what I want the Colts to do this off season. On one hand I don't want to see Peyton Manning in a jersey other than a Colts. It is definitely time to think about life after Peyton though and getting Andrew Luck dropped into your lap is such a blessing. Money wise you would think it'd be smart to release Manning. This makes me think the next GM hired it will be required of them to want to do the full rebuild sans Peyton. Such a weird transition that will be taking place.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #59
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Richardson won't go to TB since they have Blount. I really hope he doesn't go to the Jets.

That's like saying that the Vikings wouldn't draft Adrian Peterson because they had Chester Taylor who was coming off a 1216 yards rushing, 6 rushing TDs, 4.0 ypc, 42 receptions, and 288 yards receiving season with the Vikings when Minnesota selected AP.

Blount is coming off a 781 yards rushing, 4.2 ypc, 5 rushing TD, 15 receptions, 148 yards receiving season.

I'm not saying the Bucs will take Richardson but I don't think having Blount will stop them from taking him if they think Richardson is a special back on par with AP.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #60
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Taking a RB in the top 10 makes sense if he's Adrian Peterson or vintage Marshal Faulk / Priest Holmes. Otherwise, just doesn't seem worth it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #61
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Taking a RB in the top 10 makes sense if he's Adrian Peterson or vintage Marshal Faulk / Priest Holmes. Otherwise, just doesn't seem worth it.

Agreed. Don't really know if Trent Richardson is a special back or not but if he is plenty of teams could be interested.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #62
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
That's like saying that the Vikings wouldn't draft Adrian Peterson because they had Chester Taylor who was coming off a 1216 yards rushing, 6 rushing TDs, 4.0 ypc, 42 receptions, and 288 yards receiving season with the Vikings when Minnesota selected AP.

Blount is coming off a 781 yards rushing, 4.2 ypc, 5 rushing TD, 15 receptions, 148 yards receiving season.

I'm not saying the Bucs will take Richardson but I don't think having Blount will stop them from taking him if they think Richardson is a special back on par with AP.

As much as I like the running game and how it indirectly helps a QB and defense, the Bucs gave up 494 points this past season. They need far more help on defense.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-02-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #63
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I don't like top 10 picks for receivers unless you've got someone who is as sure of a thing like Larry Fitzgerald was. Otherwise, it's just too much of a crapshoot, and way too many highly drafted WRs end up sucking. Have I not read somewhere that first round WR picks have the highest chance of being a bust, historically?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #64
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I don't like top 10 picks for receivers unless you've got someone who is as sure of a thing like Larry Fitzgerald was. Otherwise, it's just too much of a crapshoot, and way too many highly drafted WRs end up sucking. Have I not read somewhere that first round WR picks have the highest chance of being a bust, historically?

Blackmon is the best WR in the country and only a junior. He's huge and has speed. I'm not sure what else he needs to add to be a top 10 kind of guy.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #65
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post

Blackmon, like AJ Green before him is completely worthy of a top 10, if not a top 5 pick.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #66
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Ok I really want Blackmon, I'm sick and tired of drafting OL early in the draft, get an OL from free agency. This kid is going to be a beast at the NFL level. If you can keep Lloyd, this offense gets two deep threats.

I think Blackmon is a stud as a college player and will be a very good NFL player but I am a bit worried he wont live up to top 10 status. I think he is a nice safe pick but I dont think he has as much upside as people may think.

He plays much bigger in the college game than he really is.

He is a class act and a hard worker so I dont doubt for a second he will be a solid NFL WR.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2012 at 12:36 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #67
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Agreed

You also have to have a team the can properly utilize this type of talent. Having AP on a team with a shitty line and a defense incapable of holding any 4th quarter lead doesnt do him any justice at all. Its awful to watch him having to work so hard just to have the team he plays on blow it week after week.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #68
Logan
Head Coach

The Jets using assets to trade up and acquire Richardson is the exact type of moronic move that the team would pull off, so bravo on that call.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #69
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is it worth 2 #1 picks to sign Mike Wallace to an offer sheet? Seems like a move the Pats or some other first division club should make. The Steelers have to get something done early cause matching an offer could be challenging.
No. With the rookie wage scale, first round picks are pretty valuable. You can argue that Wallace will turn out better than those 2 #1s, but you're also paying top dollar for him too.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-03-2012 at 07:49 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #70
Blackadar
Retired

I appreciate the effort, Racer.

But on the Steelers - why in the world would they select a TE? That makes no sense whatsoever. Their #1 TE is Heath Miller, whose on-the-field performance has been very good (51 receptions and a great blocker) and he doesn't turn 30 until next season. The starter-in-waiting is probably already on the team in Weslye Saunders, who would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder in last year's draft if he wasn't kicked off the South Carolina team. He's performed well in limited action.

With major needs along the OL (Tackle and Guard) and DT (Hoke is done permanently and Casey Hampton is really slipping) and to a lesser extent at ILB (this was Farrior's 15th year in the league), they have enough needs that a 1st round pick at TE is out of the question.

Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State is the kind of guy that the Steelers would pick up or Jared Crick (who can play the 3-4) or Mike Adams out of Ohio State.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #71
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm real

12. Seattle Seahawks (7-9) * - Michael Floyd, WR – Notre Dame [/b]
The Seahawks managed just 15 passing touchdowns this season and finished 22nd in total passing yards. Sidney Rice has played in just 15 games in two years for the Seahawks. The Seahawks probably need to upgrade from Tavaris Jackson at QB but it is also possible he just needs a playmaker who is consistently in the lineup.
[b]

This was Rices first year in Seattle
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #72
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

8. Miami Dolphins (6-10) * - Landry Jones, QB – Oklahoma
Both Jake Locker and Christian Ponder went higher than many expected they would. With the new CBA, I expect the pattern to repeat itself in the 2012 draft. The Dolphins lack a franchise signal caller and may view Jones as their QB of the future.

I think this would really suck for Dolphins fans. Looking at the possibility of Luck, RG3 or Barkley at one time this would have to be a huge letdown.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #73
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Picked up off another board...

First half of the season: 43 rec, 800 yards, 5 TDs
Second half: 29-393-3
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #74
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Picked up off another board...

First half of the season: 43 rec, 800 yards, 5 TDs
Second half: 29-393-3

How much of that has to do with BigBen being in and out of the lineup?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #75
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I think this would really suck for Dolphins fans. Looking at the possibility of Luck, RG3 or Barkley at one time this would have to be a huge letdown.

I'm a Dolphins fan and I have no love for Landry Jones. We get several Oklahoma games per year here and I've yet to see him play a game that is equal to the hype he is receiving.

I really think when they start breaking down the tape on this guy that he'll fall at least to the second round, if not farther.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #76
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How much of that has to do with BigBen being in and out of the lineup?

Don't know, but it didn't hurt Antonio Brown very much. And Wallace's best yardage game of that stretch was a week Ben didn't play.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #77
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Having read a couple of analyses of Jones and Tanneyhill (not to mention having watched them), I would be extremely upset if my team picked either one of them in the first couple of rounds.

Jones hasn't formally declared yet, has he? Like The Sanchize would have, he would benefit from another year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #78
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Having read a couple of analyses of Jones and Tanneyhill (not to mention having watched them), I would be extremely upset if my team picked either one of them in the first couple of rounds.

Jones hasn't formally declared yet, has he? Like The Sanchize would have, he would benefit from another year.

I wonder where all the love for Tannehill has come from all of a sudden? We got a few A&M games here this year and he's another one that would be a project to say the least.

One mock draft had him going seventh overall to Jacksonville.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #79
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

But on the Steelers - why in the world would they select a TE? That makes no sense whatsoever. Their #1 TE is Heath Miller, whose on-the-field performance has been very good (51 receptions and a great blocker) and he doesn't turn 30 until next season. The starter-in-waiting is probably already on the team in Weslye Saunders, who would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder in last year's draft if he wasn't kicked off the South Carolina team. He's performed well in limited action.

With major needs along the OL (Tackle and Guard) and DT (Hoke is done permanently and Casey Hampton is really slipping) and to a lesser extent at ILB (this was Farrior's 15th year in the league), they have enough needs that a 1st round pick at TE is out of the question.

Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State is the kind of guy that the Steelers would pick up or Jared Crick (who can play the 3-4) or Mike Adams out of Ohio State.

Came to post the same thing.

Each of the past 4-5 drafts, Steelers VP Player Ops (now GM) Kevin Colbert has pretty much said they will look at every position in the 1st round other than QB or TE.

Crick would have made sense if they didn't use 2 of the last 3 first round picks on the same position, and still have a very productive Brett Keisel. Unless they feel moving Hood to NT is an option, I don't see DL, at least not a 3-4 DE like Crick, in the 1st round.

OL makes the most sense, but doubtful there is a can't miss LT type where they'll be picking in the mid to late 20's. Unless they want to move Marcus Gilbert to LT and try the Willie Colon experiment at RT, again. G is a big need though, Kemoeatu is out, and undrafted FA from 2009 Ramon Foster has been starting at RG.

CB always seems like a need, but Ike Taylor played great this year, and Willie Gay and Keenan Lewis had solid years. Plus they really like both CBs picked last year in Curtis Brown (3rd) and Cortez Allen (4th). Again, like OT, where they'll be picking I don't know that a can't miss guy is there.

ILB and S, if any of them grade out as 1st rounders, make sense.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #80
Jas_lov
College Starter

With the firing of Bill Polian it's really looking like Indy will start over. If Polian is gone the new GM will want to bring in his own coach so Caldwell is gone. If Polian and Caldwell are gone then Peyton is probably gone. Unless they draft Luck to sit a couple years but I don't see them doing that. The Colts don't have to trade the pick to get a bundle in return, they can just trade Peyton Manning.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #81
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins (5-11) ) **– Jonathan Martin, OT – Stanford
Jason Smith, the 2nd overall pick in the 2009 draft, and Rodger Safford, the 33rd overall pick in the 2010 draft, have not panned out as the Rams tackle tandem of the future. The Rams in fact gave up a league high 55 sacks this season.

Yes, they led the league in sacks allowed, but Smith played 6 games, and Saffold 8, plus they had the worst WR corps in the NFL - maybe the worst in decades. While they may be turning sour on Smith, Saffold was VERY good as a rookie, they are not looking to replace him.

Plus, look at MizzouRah's post - taking another OT with a high draft pick will be very hard to sell to their fanbase. While drafting the fans' choice is not always the best way to go, the attention to lines has left the with a terrible WR corps, so a top notch WR might be a good choice there.

While I think Racer's prediction for a trade at St. Louis' #2 pick is VERY likely (including it being the Redskins) there are a few things I think are extremely unlikely.

First, a huge combine/workout push for Coples would have him re-entering the first round. He may have been Mel's #2 going into this year, but he was simply awful. No way he goes top 5.

Second, I don't see Blackmon lasting even to #6, let alone the Rams passing on him if he does. I think there will be a clear top 5 players by draft time - Luck, Griffin, Claiborne, Kalil and Blackmon. Someone will trade up to #2 to get Griffin, Kalil to Minn is a good pick, and both the Browns and Bucs would be happy with either of Blackmon/Claiborne.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #82
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Yes, they led the league in sacks allowed, but Smith played 6 games, and Saffold 8, plus they had the worst WR corps in the NFL - maybe the worst in decades. While they may be turning sour on Smith, Saffold was VERY good as a rookie, they are not looking to replace him.

Plus, look at MizzouRah's post - taking another OT with a high draft pick will be very hard to sell to their fanbase. While drafting the fans' choice is not always the best way to go, the attention to lines has left the with a terrible WR corps, so a top notch WR might be a good choice there.

While I think Racer's prediction for a trade at St. Louis' #2 pick is VERY likely (including it being the Redskins) there are a few things I think are extremely unlikely.

First, a huge combine/workout push for Coples would have him re-entering the first round. He may have been Mel's #2 going into this year, but he was simply awful. No way he goes top 5.

Second, I don't see Blackmon lasting even to #6, let alone the Rams passing on him if he does. I think there will be a clear top 5 players by draft time - Luck, Griffin, Claiborne, Kalil and Blackmon. Someone will trade up to #2 to get Griffin, Kalil to Minn is a good pick, and both the Browns and Bucs would be happy with either of Blackmon/Claiborne.

I agree.

I don't see Blackmon falling to #6 either, but if he does the Rams have to take him. They've invested a lot in Bradford and desperately need to give the guy some help.

As a Lions fan I am all too familiar with the pitfalls of taking a WR in the top 10 of the draft (Roy Williams and Mike Williams). I am also very familiar with what a complete stud WR taken in the top 5 of the draft and who lives up to expectations can do for a team and, especially, a young quaterback. (Megatron).

I see more Megatron in Blackmon - given his size, speed, strength and work ethic - than either of the Williamseses.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #83
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

STL needs to get a WR or two, or Bradford is going to end up a Carr/Couch clone in a couple of years - shellshocked into a career as a back-up for being a failed "franchise QB."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #84
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

I admittedly spent way less time on picks 20 and beyond since they aren't at all set in stone. Mocking a TE to the Steelers is probably fantasy football's influence on me honestly. Didn't realize how much the Steelers like him. Allen's sportsline bio reminds me a bit of Brandon Pettigrew's bio but that wouldn't be enough of an upgrade probably for them to take Allen in the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This was Rices first year in Seattle

My bad. He still has just played 15 the last two seasons though so I think it would make since for the Seahawks to take a more reliable WR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
STL needs to get a WR or two, or Bradford is going to end up a Carr/Couch clone in a couple of years - shellshocked into a career as a back-up for being a failed "franchise QB."

I think Blackmon falling to the latter half of the top 10 is more likely than people think. The last time a WR 6’2” or shorter was taken in the top 6 in the draft was when the Bengals took the 5’11” Peter Warrick in 2000. It would have been interesting to see where Crabtree (same height and weight as Blackmon) would have gone had he not acted like a diva during the draft process.

Justin Blackmon 6’1” 215 lb - ???

Since 2003:

Top 6 Picks
Charles Rodgers 6’3” 220 lb - #2 2003
Andre Johnson 6”3” 226lb - #3 2003
Larry Fitzgerald 6’3” 218 lb - #3 2004
Braylon Edwards 6’3” 210 lb - #3 2005
Calvin Johnson 6’5” 239 lb - #2 2007
A.J. Green 6’4” 211 lb - #4 2011
Julio Jones 6’3” 220 lb - #6 2011

Picks #7 - #12
Roy Williams 6‘3” 215 lb - #7 2004
Reggie Williams 6’4” 212 lb - #9 2004
Troy Williamson 6’1” 203 lb - #7 2005
Mike Williams 6’5” 229 lb - #10 2005
Ted Ginn Jr. 5’11” 178 lb - #9 2007
Darrius Heyward Bey 6’2” 210 lb - #7 2009
Michael Crabtree 6’1” 215 lb - #10 2009

Last edited by Racer : 01-03-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #85
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeah it was probably a bit half hearted putting Copples though. Any Browns fan know if they would consider taking Claiborne there despite already having Joe Haden? That's why I didn't mock Claiborne there originally.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #86
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Picks #7 - #12
Roy Williams 6‘3” 215 lb - #7 2004
Reggie Williams 6’4” 212 lb - #9 2004
Troy Williamson 6’1” 203 lb - #7 2005
Mike Williams 6’5” 229 lb - #10 2005
Ted Ginn Jr. 5’11” 178 lb - #9 2007
Darrius Heyward Bey 6’2” 210 lb - #7 2009
Michael Crabtree 6’1” 215 lb - #10 2009

There are some really terrible players in that list.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #87
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
With the firing of Bill Polian it's really looking like Indy will start over. If Polian is gone the new GM will want to bring in his own coach so Caldwell is gone. If Polian and Caldwell are gone then Peyton is probably gone. Unless they draft Luck to sit a couple years but I don't see them doing that. The Colts don't have to trade the pick to get a bundle in return, they can just trade Peyton Manning.

During the season it was reported locally that Manning was very unhappy with how much the Polians leaked about his neck surgery recovery was going. So it's also possible Irsay fired the Polians to mend the fence with Manning.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #88
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
There are some really terrible players in that list.

You're being unfair to Ginn...not his fault Cam Cameron admittedly drafted a returner in the top 10.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #89
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You're being unfair to Ginn...not his fault Cam Cameron admittedly drafted a returner in the top 10.

Or that everyone else on the face of the planet knew it when it happened, either

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #90
bhlloy
Coordinator

Crabtree is a very good comparison - 2 time Biletnikoff winner who went absolutely nuts his last two years and then left as a junior with nothing left to prove.

I think Blackmon probably doesn't have the character concerns that Crabtree was perceived to have and there is no way he gets past the Rams, but you never know. I think his athleticism and toughness means you grade him a little higher than his size would otherwise have him going.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #91
Samdari
Roster Filler

I am stunned to see all of these posts that apparently show people convinced NFL WR's are drafted solely based on size.

Michael Crabtree is not a good comparison (yet). He ran a 4.54 40 at the combine, pedestrian by top-10 standards. I think most who have watched Blackmon play will expect him to be among the fastest WRs. If he runs a 4.5+ 40, then I could see him slipping.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #92
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am stunned to see all of these posts that apparently show people convinced NFL WR's are drafted solely based on size.

Michael Crabtree is not a good comparison (yet). He ran a 4.54 40 at the combine, pedestrian by top-10 standards. I think most who have watched Blackmon play will expect him to be among the fastest WRs. If he runs a 4.5+ 40, then I could see him slipping.

Blackmon will probably be right around 4.5. He certainly wont be even close the fastest WR in the draft. The thing that is kind of concerning about him is that he plays like a big WR but by NFL standards isnt really a big WR(height wise). He plays a physical style and uses his strength many times to get open. I think he has more of the potential to be a top level #2 guy rather than being a teams go to WR.

http://proprospects.wordpress.com/20...outing-report/

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #93
mckerney
Coordinator

After what seems like a decade of reaches, retreads, career backups and begging QBs to come out of retirement I was really hoping that the Vikings could finally land an elite talent at QB picking #3. Now that the idiot who got them in this position has been promoted its looks like there's no chance of this.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #94
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Blackmon is a stud as a college player and will be a very good NFL player but I am a bit worried he wont live up to top 10 status. I think he is a nice safe pick but I dont think he has as much upside as people may think.

He plays much bigger in the college game than he really is.

He is a class act and a hard worker so I dont doubt for a second he will be a solid NFL WR.

Then I will agree to disagree with you.

I could be wrong, but I think he will be an impact player for years to come.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #95
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I would draft Kellen Moore before Jones.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #96
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu declared today. Looking like a late 1st/early 2nd pick. Unlikely to burn it up in the 40 but all his other combine numbers should be really impressive. I'm still convinced he could have been an NFL safety which is how he was recruited.

Last edited by Logan : 01-03-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #97
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
After what seems like a decade of reaches, retreads, career backups and begging QBs to come out of retirement I was really hoping that the Vikings could finally land an elite talent at QB picking #3. Now that the idiot who got them in this position has been promoted its looks like there's no chance of this.

I think the only way they were taking a qb was if they got the #1 pick and could take Luck. All indications are that they are taking the LT from USC whether it was the #2 or #3 pick.

The Star Trib is making a case for Blackmon however. Im just not seeing them pass on a LT at this point though.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #98
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Then I will agree to disagree with you.

I could be wrong, but I think he will be an impact player for years to come.

I hope Im wrong as well. The story with Blackmon and that Olivia girl is very moving. I wish he was 6 3 or 6 4 instead of 6 1.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #99
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the only way they were taking a qb was if they got the #1 pick and could take Luck. All indications are that they are taking the LT from USC whether it was the #2 or #3 pick.

The Star Trib is making a case for Blackmon however. Im just not seeing them pass on a LT at this point though.

I'm sure that's what they will do, I just don't see how this team can afford to pass on a QB when they finally have the change to take one if RGIII is there.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #100
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think the best comparison from seeing him yesterday might be Boldin. Great strength, hands and leaping ability and when you get the ball to him he's basically a RB. I think with all the busts out there if you could get a Boldin with the 6th overall pick you would jump at it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote