Redskins 16 11.11%
The UFL's Orlando Fighting Trout 31 21.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #51
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Snyder makes moves that he thinks will let the Redskins win this year. That is not Michael Vick.

Don't be so sure that Snyder doesn't think Vick will help him this year.

He pretty much thinks Campbell is solely responsible for the Skins not winning the Super Bowl last year, so don't be so sure he wouldn't consider even Matt Jones an upgrade.

Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Meh. The Redskins don't need Vick. They've got a NFL franchise QB in Chase Daniel.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #53
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Skins not interested in taking Vick | Washington Examiner

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #54
chesapeake
College Starter

I was just going to make this point, but the article lordscarlet just posted makes it for me:

"But the reasons for not wanting Vick are simple, starting with location. Playing so close to the seat of political power in the country would potentially make Vick, and the team, a constant target for pickets and demonstrations."

PETA has a big presence here and would be merciless on the Redskins if they brought Vick in. As it stands, they do crazy things on the Hill all the time. For example, last week PETA brought a Playboy Playmate of the Year into my building wearing just a lettuce leaf bikini to serve veggie dogs.

This is why some cities are simply out of the question -- Seattle, SF, NY just to name 3.

Last edited by chesapeake : 07-28-2009 at 08:51 AM.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #55
QuikSand
lolzcat

lettuce see pix pls k thx
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #56
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bah, that was just a bikini with lettuce leaves on it - it wasn't even made entirely of lettuce.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #57
Autumn
Head Coach

Bah, there's only one team with enough disregard for PR to sign Vick, da Raiders.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #58
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Bah, that was just a bikini with lettuce leaves on it - it wasn't even made entirely of lettuce.

I confess, I didn't actually attend this time. Or last time. The last one I went to was maybe 8 years ago, and, although the lettuce leaves were not real, they resembled actual iceberg lettuce leaves.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #59
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Jaguars
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I confess, I didn't actually attend this time. Or last time. The last one I went to was maybe 8 years ago, and, although the lettuce leaves were not real, they resembled actual iceberg lettuce leaves.

a Playboy PMOY wearing a bikini in your building and you didn't attend this time? or last time? or anytime in the last 8 years?

you must be married.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-28-2009 at 09:18 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #61
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
a Playboy PMOY wearing a bikini in your building and you didn't attend this time? or last time? or anytime in the last 8 years?

you must be married.

or dead.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #62
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Wondering how many of the trout votes are legitimate "He's not playing in the NFL" votes. I know mine was.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #63
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Wondering how many of the trout votes are legitimate "He's not playing in the NFL" votes. I know mine was.

I find it very unlikely that no team signs him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #64
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Minnesota if they don't get Favre?

Why?

The last thing MN needs is a QB with good running and marginal passing.
They need someone who can keep the safeties honest, not allow them to cheat up even more.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #65
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
I voted for the Raiders just for pure comical value.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #66
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Didnt your starting quarterback last year sign with a team in the CFL last week?

My bad Losman signed with a UFL team and thats who I was thinking about.

So you have Edwards and who else? I dont see why they wouldnt take a shot with Vick, you already have TO.

Starting QB? JP filled in for Trent when he got a concussion, but I'd hardly call that our "starting quarterback."

The Bills, in my opinion, have already rolled the dice enough by bringing in TO. This is their 50th season, and the PR push is on [which I think is the main reason they brought in TO in the first place]. They're riding high. Practice tickets are in high demand, with big crowds turning out.

Some of Buffalo's more notable players have had recent run-ins with the law {Marshawn Lynch & Donte Whitner} and I just can't imagine they'd want to cast a pall over this celebratory 50th season by bringing in Vick.

Who else do they have? Gibran Hamdan, whom nobody has ever heard of, has been on the roster for years now and is generally seen as a pretty steady back-up. Plus, the team brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick, who filled in for Carson Palmer for the majority of the season last year.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #67
molson
General Manager

I wonder if Vick would still be a starting QB, let alone still in the league, if the dog fighting thing never happened. He's not that good. Was he even in the top 1/2, or top 2/3 of QBs before this happened? I can't imagine him as a starter now, and how can the bad PR be worth it for a backup? And I don't totally buy that you can just throw him on the field and make him a RB/WR or whatever. He was athletic for a QB, but at this point in his life, is he that great an athlete for a WR or RB?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #68
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Not really much to add. It would be pretty strange if Vick didnt sign with some developmental league/ scrub team to start getting back into football to begin.

I think this poll is based on what team, in 2009, that signs Vick and has him on the roster. My first instinct was the Redskins for obvious reasons, but I voted on my gut and went with Tampa Bay.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #69
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Not really much to add. It would be pretty strange if Vick didnt sign with some developmental league/ scrub team to start getting back into football to begin.

I think this poll is based on what team, in 2009, that signs Vick and has him on the roster. My first instinct was the Redskins for obvious reasons, but I voted on my gut and went with Tampa Bay.

Tampa would have been my choice if Chucky was still around
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #70
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Starting QB? JP filled in for Trent when he got a concussion, but I'd hardly call that our "starting quarterback."

The Bills, in my opinion, have already rolled the dice enough by bringing in TO. This is their 50th season, and the PR push is on [which I think is the main reason they brought in TO in the first place]. They're riding high. Practice tickets are in high demand, with big crowds turning out.

Some of Buffalo's more notable players have had recent run-ins with the law {Marshawn Lynch & Donte Whitner} and I just can't imagine they'd want to cast a pall over this celebratory 50th season by bringing in Vick.

Who else do they have? Gibran Hamdan, whom nobody has ever heard of, has been on the roster for years now and is generally seen as a pretty steady back-up. Plus, the team brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick, who filled in for Carson Palmer for the majority of the season last year.

I didnt mean to strike a nerve with my comments, however you did prove my point with the names you threw out (that nobody knows them). Since they seem to be trying to drive up ticket sales, and interest, vick would help do both.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #71
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Pumpy?

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #72
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Doal.

I say Seattle, since there is the Jim Mora connection and a shaky backup situation behind a QB who has injuries of late.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Pumpy?

Am I the only person who noticed that the traffic signal in the background makes it look like the guy is wearing a clown nose?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #74
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

you must be married.

PETA has done this event for about as long as I have been here. The place is packed and by the time you get close enough to see the eye-candy, all you really want to do is get back out again. It is one of thhose concepts more exciting in theory than in practice.

Despite the Mora connectin, no way, no how that Seattle signs Vick. They burn down new houses there because, although they are LEED certified, they aren't certified highly enough. And the Seahawks have a new practice facility....
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #75
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Vick will go to the 49'ers, or so I have heard. I actually picked trout though, as I will always do if the option is available.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #76
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I didnt mean to strike a nerve with my comments, however you did prove my point with the names you threw out (that nobody knows them). Since they seem to be trying to drive up ticket sales, and interest, vick would help do both.

No nerve struck whatsoever. Sorry you got that impression.
Just elaborating on my rationale a bit.

That being said, I can't say I'm excited about the QB situation in Buffalo, but at least the kid Fitzpatrick got a bunch of experience under center with Cincy.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #77
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Vick will go to the 49'ers, or so I have heard. I actually picked trout though, as I will always do if the option is available.

I can see why SF would want a little veteran insurance at the QB spot, but don't the politics of the town make success almost impossible?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #78
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Who else do they have? Gibran Hamdan, whom nobody has ever heard of, has been on the roster for years now and is generally seen as a pretty steady back-up.

Heh. Hamdan wasn't even a starter in college. And he played for Indiana. If you can't start there, why are you even in the NFL?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #79
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'll say Minnesota now that reports are out that Favre is going to stay retired.

*chortle* *chuckle*
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #80
tarcone
Coordinator

Chris Mortenson seems to think the Steelers are a perfect fit. Established QB who isnt threatened, HC who is knows Vick well, And an owner who has a relationship with Tony Dungy, and an extremely stable organiztion from players to front office to ownership.

Seems plausible to me.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #81
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Buffalo came out today and said there is no way they are interested in Vick...period.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 07-28-2009 at 08:38 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Zomg-

So If we(The Steelers) sign Vick, I'm probably going to have to just ignore football this year or something. I'd rather have a talented headcase team cancer like TO, than this piece of shit.

And the fit does seem perfect, Rooney's such a bleeding heart. Dungy a close advisor. Tomlin from the same town growing up.

Sigh

Might start following the Bills or something, at least I can get tickets there when I pretty much want to, and it's not that far away(3 hours)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And actually, Steelers brass would probably want to see some season tickets cancelled, because the morons didn't rape people for PSA's(like other teams) and the waiting list will never again drop.

Seriously, I think my Brother said his wife's family paid something like 200per seat for the PSA's(and probably bitched the whole time)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 AM   #84
RainMaker
General Manager

I just don't know why anyone would bother. It's a huge risk for little to no reward.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #85
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I just don't know why anyone would bother. It's a huge risk for little to no reward.

Agreed. I think he'll be playing in the UFL this year due to lack of interest.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #86
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Chris Mortenson seems to think the Steelers are a perfect fit. Established QB who isnt threatened, HC who is knows Vick well, And an owner who has a relationship with Tony Dungy, and an extremely stable organiztion from players to front office to ownership.

Seems plausible to me.

Keep him the hell away from Jeff Reed.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #87
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Might start following the Bills or something, at least I can get tickets there when I pretty much want to, and it's not that far away(3 hours)

If you can deal with constant frustration punctuated by occasional heartache and underscored by a dim, groundless and unyielding sense of eternal hope -- I wholeheartedly welcome you to the fold.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #88
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
If you can deal with constant frustration punctuated by occasional heartache and underscored by a dim, groundless and unyielding sense of eternal hope -- I wholeheartedly welcome you to the fold.

The fold catches you though when you go to home games and they have thrilling 4th qtr wins and sets up a great first part of the season and then implode...

Yes, I was hooked to Bills football last year with my move here.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #89
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #90
chesapeake
College Starter

I'm shifting my vote to "trout" as well. The UFL or Canada makes a lot more sense. No one wants to take the PR hit of picking up Vick since the most likely scenario is that he will be your backup QB for about half the season. Way too much grief for a guy that is unlikely to help you win games.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #91
path12
Coordinator

I don't think anyone touches him now. Once a major QB injury happens to a contender then he gets a look.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #92
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I'm shifting my vote to "trout" as well. The UFL or Canada makes a lot more sense. No one wants to take the PR hit of picking up Vick since the most likely scenario is that he will be your backup QB for about half the season. Way too much grief for a guy that is unlikely to help you win games.

I don't know when the UFL season starts, but Canada isn't likely an option for Vick this season, I wouldn't think. By the time he determines if he can catch on with an NFL team, the CFL will be at least 10-12 weeks in.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #93
NewIdentity
High School JV

Chris Mortensen on ESPN is reporting that he believes the Pittsburgh Steelers will sign Vick.

He went on and on about all the reasons that the Steelers right now are his pick for a Vick signing.

Last edited by NewIdentity : 07-29-2009 at 11:31 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #94
cuervo72
Head Coach

That's funny - listening to 980 on the way home yesterday (I think it was yesterday) someone - might have been Kevin Blackistone - mentioned the Steelers as a possibility, saying that a coach like Tomlin would be a good match.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #95
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Seems plausible to me.

Were these the reasons?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #96
NewIdentity
High School JV

Steelers now the Favorites to sign Vick in Vegas.

Vick to the Steelers? | ProFootballTalk.com
Quote:
Vick to the Steelers?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2009 1:27 PM ET
Last week, a Steelers source offered up a tongue-in-cheek plan for reducing the potential distractions arising from the civil lawsuit filed against quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"We're going to sign Mike Vick and Plaxico Burress," the source said.

Though the latter isn't happening with the Steelers (or likely any other team), the former isn't as far-fetched as it might seem.

We've actually been toying with finding a way to float that possibility without provoking a caravan of pitchforks-and-torches-style Steelers fans to drive down to PFT headquarters and remove the limbs from my torso.

And we've finally found an opening: Tom Curran points out that the Steelers and the Patriots are regarded as the favorites to land Vick, with odds currently at 4-1 for each team.

So let's consider the objective evidence that might support Mike Vick landing with a team that makes an annual visit to the Dawg Pound.

First, coach Mike Tomlin grew up in Newport News. So did Vick. And Tomlin has a well-known affinity for players from his neck of the woods.

Second, Tomlin has plenty of juice after winning the Super Bowl in only his second year. If he starts lobbying for Vick, the powers-that-be might listen closely.

Third, outgoing Steelers chair Dan Rooney has very close ties to Commissioner Roger Goodell, who seems to be committed to helping Vick make the best out of his second chance. There aren't many organizations in football (or sports) better than the Steelers, and Vick would potentially thrive under the umbrella that the Rooneys have created over the decades.

Fourth, Charlie Batch is their backup. (I probably should stop right there.)

Fifth, Tony Dungy played for the Steelers and started his coaching career there. He presumably has a great relationship with the Rooneys. And Dungy is going to bat for Vick like he has for no other player. Dungy could work directly with Tomlin to convince the Rooneys to give it a try, with both men staking their reputations on Vick not getting into trouble.

Sixth, Tomlin is a member of the Tony Dungy tree. Though they haven't worked together since 2001 in Tampa, the ties that bind the two men are likely very strong, and presumably run very deep.

Seventh, the Steelers were using the Wildcat long before it was called the Wildcat, with Kordell Stewart creating all sorts of excitement in his "Slash" role some 14 years ago.

Eighth, no member of PETA in his or her right mind would protest the Steelers at Heinz Field. Or at any other stadium where their fans show up in droves.

Ninth, despite his long-term contract, the Steelers aren't tied to Roethlisberger for the next ten years. Even if the salary cap survives the next CBA, we recall assessing the contract as a deal that could have a practical duration of three years, given that the annual base salaries hit eight figures in 2011. So Vick could do the Wildcat thing for a couple of years, and then possibly become the starting quarterback for the Steelers that Kordell never was able to be.

Tenth, the Steelers have seen the high end of Vick's abilities on both occasions that they have faced him. In 2006, Vick led the Falcons to a 41-38 overtime win in Atlanta. Vick threw four touchdown passes, ran five times for 40 yards, and generated a passer rating of 96.1. Four years earlier, Vick and the Falcons managed a 34-34 tie in Pittsburgh.

All that said, we've heard nothing to suggest that the Steelers are interested, or that they aren't. But they haven't become 4-1 favorites to get Vick because the folks in Vegas don't know how to set odds.

Last edited by NewIdentity : 07-29-2009 at 12:22 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #97
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If there is a god, the Steelers will sign him.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #98
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well the NFL does sort of lack a villainous team at the moment, pending the performance of a returning Brady, so maybe the Steelers could fill that void.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #99
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Most of those reasons make the Steelers seems like a charity organization. The question shouldn't be "what team would be best able to help Mike Vick?" or "What team's ownership can be convinced to sign Mike Vick?" but "What team would be helped by Mike Vick?"
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #100
chesapeake
College Starter

The best two lines from the story:

"All that said, we've heard nothing to suggest that the Steelers are interested, or that they aren't. But they haven't become 4-1 favorites to get Vick because the folks in Vegas don't know how to set odds. "

The first line admits that the "story" is purely speculation -- what the writer thinks someone in Pittsburgh could be thinking if s/he thinks like him.

The second line begs a question: did Vegas set odds for the trout option?