Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should you ever root against your favorite team
Yes, one or more of the reasons stated below makes sense to me 40 54.05%
No, rooting against your team is disloyal and disgusting 32 43.24%
I'll root for them except when they play the Big State U. fighting trout. 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #51
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Did you really just use a footnote?

Actually, I edited my post to add a footnote.

One can't be too careful about proper citation.

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #52
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I'm on board with the "coach firing" reasoning. There is NOTHING worse than having a coach that is just good enough to hover around .500 and stay employed, but not good enough to win anything important -- sports purgatory. In those cases you wouldn't mind seeing the bottom fall out one year just to be able to get rid of the guy.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #53
SuperGrover
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I guess that's true in a pratical sense, but in the NFL, isn't a 9-7 non-playoff team closer to where you want to be than a 4-12 team?

But it doesn't matter. You're gonna be the same bunch the next season no matter if you are 4-12 or 9-7.

The question is, would you rather get lucky and win a bunch of games to end up 9-7 even tough your talent level is 6-10? Or would you rather get unlucky and drop a couple extras and get a better draft pick? i mean, if you have 6-10 talent you have 6-10 talent. Cathc my drift.

P.S.-Sorry to hear you're a Celtics fan. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
SuperGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #54
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ping: Remaining Celtics fans.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #55
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that it is OK to have a second favorite team.

My favorite team is the Saints. But, having roomed with a huge Steelers fan, I got into them. They are my second favorite team. The distance between #1 and #2 is huge, but I do have a #2 team.

And, come March Madness, I am totally into the flavor of the month.1 I want the Tar Heels to win it all, but otherwise I am just going to cheer for whatever mid-major Cinderellas happen to make it to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond.

1 March.

I guess we must have different definitions. When I think of someone with a second favorite team, I think of someone who roots for this team when the other team sucks. So they will put on the team's gear, watch all their games, while ignoring the team that is struggling because they started out so poorly.

If you are rooting for different teams during March Madness because your team is knocked out, that is definitely not my definition of picking the flavor of the month. You are just picking a team to root for while watching the rest of the tournament. Much like others due when their team is knocked out of the NFL Playoffs. Flavor of month is what band wagon fans do. In other words they pick the hottest team and proclaim that they are fans of that team.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #56
Icy
Pro Starter

I do but only when i want a coach firedor when the team is underperforming and i want the players/GM/coach to learn the hard way.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #57
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
I guess we must have different definitions. When I think of someone with a second favorite team, I think of someone who roots for this team when the other team sucks. So they will put on the team's gear, watch all their games, while ignoring the team that is struggling because they started out so poorly.
I have second favorite teams in the NBA and NHL. In the NBA, I'm a Memphis fan first and a Utah fan second. Utah currently has the fourth-best record in the NBA. Memphis is the absolute worst. Still, if someone asks me which team is my favorite, I'll say Memphis. Utah is just another team that I like a lot. They're not a backup for when the Grizzlies are terrible.

The same goes for the NHL. New Jersey first, Pittsburgh second. When I go to a Penguins game, if they're not playing against New Jersey, I'm all for Pittsburgh. When the Devils came to town a couple of months ago, though, I wore my Devils jersey and cheered for New Jersey nonstop.

If I could have my way, I'd like to see my teams finish #1 and #2 in their conference or division, but there's always a clear idea of who I want to be #1 and who I want to be #2.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #58
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
He proved his point with that. If I remember correctly, he said something along the lines of "People like me, we sit here all week, analyzing numbers, talking to other people, trying to gain insight, flip back and forth between our decisions before finally making the pick...are we overanalyzing this stuff? Maybe its not that complex. Maybe someone without any knowledge could do a better job."

And she did.

He proved that someone with no knowledge could beat HIM.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #59
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So what? You got paid to play football, didn't you? So quit yer grousin'

SI
This was semi-pro. We didn't get paid. In fact, we had to pay to play (fields had to be rented.) I paid a total of about $20... It was supposed to be about $200, but in the second week of practice the coaches came out with You guys need to pay up. We have a total from all of you of only $20! Since the total was John $20, the rest of the team nada... I never paid another dime!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote