Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2003, 07:59 PM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The NC State information is very intriguing. They may be the ones to block expansion. Who knows? The way things are going it looks like there might be more than a few schools who are thinking twice about this, especially with that lawsuit dangling in their faces.

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #52
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

It's funny that folks like Marmel crying over a conference that has been in existence only since 1979. SU was very successful in many sports even before there was a Big East...and will continue to do so.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:06 AM   #53
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I imagine Fox is throwing a line to the faculty at State. She's had quite a few run-ins with them since she took over a few years ago, including some high-profile firings in the last year. I would expect with the football program on the rise that she'd likely vote for expansion if a vote were thrust upon her.

Charlotte paper is reporting that a compromise that would allow only Miami to join and then push the NCAA for a championship game in a 10-team league is being dangled, though weakly. Swofford shot that notion down last month and I would imagine the expansion pushers like FSU and Tech aren't going to go for such an idea. They're likely "in for a penny, in for a pound" on this.

FSU admins continue to re-iterate that they won't back out of the ACC if expansion fails.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock in Beano "Ron Powlus will win the Heisman three times" Cook. He thinks the Four Horsemen are still playing for ND.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:13 AM   #54
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
It's funny that folks like Marmel crying over a conference that has been in existence only since 1979. SU was very successful in many sports even before there was a Big East...and will continue to do so.

A- times change and SU continues to be successful because they have changed with the times.

Remember, Harvard, Yale and other schools were once very successful football schools as well, but they didn't adapt with the times.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:22 AM   #55
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpack
I imagine Fox is throwing a line to the faculty at State. She's had quite a few run-ins with them since she took over a few years ago, including some high-profile firings in the last year. I would expect with the football program on the rise that she'd likely vote for expansion if a vote were thrust upon her.

Charlotte paper is reporting that a compromise that would allow only Miami to join and then push the NCAA for a championship game in a 10-team league is being dangled, though weakly. Swofford shot that notion down last month and I would imagine the expansion pushers like FSU and Tech aren't going to go for such an idea. They're likely "in for a penny, in for a pound" on this.

FSU admins continue to re-iterate that they won't back out of the ACC if expansion fails.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock in Beano "Ron Powlus will win the Heisman three times" Cook. He thinks the Four Horsemen are still playing for ND.

Well, Miami has publicly been saying they won't come without SU/BC.

The NCAA is very unlikely to approve a championship game for a 10 team league. It being possible in a 12 team, two division league is an accident. The rule was passed to save money for poorer, far flung conferences, to save on travel costs, not for already football-rich schools to create superconferences.

Haven't we learned from all of this that the FSU admins promising the institution's long term commitment to the ACC is a meaningless PR gesture?

Is anyone else disturbed by the 'hungry' look Beano gets in his eye when he talks about Joe Paterno?
Old 06-16-2003, 10:37 AM   #56
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
A- times change and SU continues to be successful because they have changed with the times.

Remember, Harvard, Yale and other schools were once very successful football schools as well, but they didn't adapt with the times.

So why even care about the Big East? Going to the ACC is just one more example of changing with the times.

Harvard, Yale and Princeton were powerhouses 100 years ago but it didn't take long for them to figure out that way too much emphasis was being placed on collegiate football. It is still my dream that all major universities adopt the priorities of the Ivy League schools when it comes to major sports programs, esp. football.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:41 AM   #57
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

A-

At this point, I do want SU to go to the ACC. It is probably in their best intrest since the BE is falling apart, with or without this three team defection.

I wish the BE was much more pro-active in this situation, and broke off from the basketabll only schools a few years back and added teams to solidify themselves. The way it stands, the BE was just ripe for the pickings.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 06-16-2003 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #58
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

dola....

A-

I disagreed with you before, but now I think you might be on to something when you say that eventually there will just be 3 superconferences: East, Midwest and West. I don't think that will come anytime soon, but being that it is all money driven, I can see things shifting towards that. Excellent foresight on that.

Old 06-16-2003, 12:36 PM   #59
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
So why even care about the Big East? Going to the ACC is just one more example of changing with the times.

Harvard, Yale and Princeton were powerhouses 100 years ago but it didn't take long for them to figure out that way too much emphasis was being placed on collegiate football. It is still my dream that all major universities adopt the priorities of the Ivy League schools when it comes to major sports programs, esp. football.

I'll agree with you the second there is a real minor league for football players. Right now there is none, and college football is taking that position.

If your a great football player in highschool and want to play football proffessionally, you have no choice but play college football. If your a good baseball player? Your better off going into the minors. Hockey? Same. Basketball? Go to college for a couple of years, unless your really good (but you do have the new developmental league now that gives you an option). Why is a football player required to go to college to play his sport when no other sport (save maybe college to a lessor extent) not require it?

I love college football. The excitement, the level of emotion involved, and the fact 80% of the players are not playing for the next level but for the love of the game and the university. I would hate to see the talent level decreased the way it is on the baseball teams and increasing in basketball. BUT, it would be much better for the proffesional level players to have a true minor league for football that would allow them to develop without forcing them to do something they do not (or in some cases cannot) do.

When I called football games in Tennessee, I watched a young player with tremendous talent play the game. He was quick and had the heart of a lion. As a running back, he set the school and 3 a rushing records in yards and touchdowns. The last I heard, that kid is working at a gas station now. He had no shot at playing college ball (his IQ was about 85), and there was really no other options out there. Of course, Arena league has opened some doors, but it steep hill to climb from there to the NFL.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-16-2003 at 12:36 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote