Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
How many of you devoted home-viewers do that in your home theater?

Probably depends on whether it's the Census Bureau calling

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #52
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
It seems that one of the best ways to save is not to eat their crappy, way overpriced food. Movie ticket prices are actually a good deal, with great visual and audio experience. But no one really needs to eat, do they? Can you eat beforehand or wait a couple of hours? That would really cut down on costs and complaints.

Exactly. I never buy any food at the theater (unless its a theater/restaurant thingy). I eat right beforehand and only pay $10 for a flick.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #53
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

All of our kids are grown and can pay for themselves if they go with us. Still the wife and I only go to about 3 or 4 movies a year. We only go to action flicks because any comedies or dramas we don't really care if they are on the big screen or not. This year we have seen Wolverine & Star Trek ... were going to see Terminator but we are spending $$$ going out of town to a concert tonight instead. The only movie left that I think we will see in the theater is G.I. Joe.

We always spend around $40 for the two of us. We only go during the day and we go to Directors Hall showings (buying tickets online adds $1.50 also but our tickets are still around $20 total) I always get the large popcorn & large drink combo and the wife either gets nachos or popcorn with the large drink. I really have no problems with the cost either. We've tried taking our own candy & drinks in but really what's the point of going to a movie without movie theater popcorn?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #54
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Instead of going to Dallas, you should have went to Austin. Until we discovered the Alamo Drafthouse, we didn't really go out to the movies that much. And what makes that place special is that they serve food within the theater (restaurant style food) as well as a large selection of alcohol. So you can have dinner and a movie in the same place and don't feel as if you were ripped off. Check out this menu:
http://www.drafthouse.com/main/franchise/menu.pdf

We have Studio Movie Grills up here. I've never been to one, but from what I understand it's the same premise...dinner served at the theater, and drinks as well...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #55
Samdari
Roster Filler

LOL, last time the wife and I went to the movies together, we spent $90 for the two of us. $20 for two tickets, $20 for snacks, and $50 for babysitting.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #56
molson
General Manager

I go to the movies almost every week but would never think about buying food there. With a mix of matinees, the arty theater, and and a 10 movies for the price of 8 punch card, it comes out to around $30/month. Definitely worth it to me.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #57
AgustusM
College Prospect

add in dinner and it is really expensive for me to take my family of six, so we rarely go.

What is really hard for me is when I was much younger my first job was at a movie theater and I worked my way up to the manager. So from about 16-23 I saw every movie that came out with all the concessions I wanted for free. Still one of the most fun jobs I have ever had (too bad we didn't make much money) and I still have friends from those days now over 20 years ago.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #58
bigmouth
n00b

we just had one of those dinner and movie places open down the street. their pricing is kind of weird. beer is cheaper than popcorn or soda.
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #59
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
I love going out to the movies. What puts it over the top for me is the obligation to turn your phone off. How many of you devoted home-viewers do that in your home theater?

At Star Trek, the guy in front of me got a foot in the back when he started texting during the movie. When he didn't stop and, in fact, continued for another minute, he got one that everyone in the theater heard. No one wants to see your bright phone light because you're screwing with something in the middle of a movie. No, you don't need to be twittering that "I'm at Star Trek!" or checking mail or anything. If it's important enough you need to respond, you can get up and address it in the hallway. If it's that urgent, don't go to the theater.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #60
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'd pay more if I could guarantee a hassle free movie watching experience since I unfortunately always get stuck by someone screwing around with their cell phone, kicking the back of my chair, talking or generally doing anything other than watching the movie.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #61
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
At Star Trek, the guy in front of me got a foot in the back when he started texting during the movie. When he didn't stop and, in fact, continued for another minute, he got one that everyone in the theater heard. No one wants to see your bright phone light because you're screwing with something in the middle of a movie. No, you don't need to be twittering that "I'm at Star Trek!" or checking mail or anything. If it's important enough you need to respond, you can get up and address it in the hallway. If it's that urgent, don't go to the theater.

SI

I noted when I went to "Terminator: Salvation" that the thing that says no calls during the movie has been altered to say "no texting" as well. A welcome change, IMO.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #62
JeeberD
General Manager

It's amazing what theater location can do in regards to annoyances. The theater the wife and I used to go to when we lived in our apartment was a very large theater in a very large mall. It attracted people from all over, and we had pretty much given up on going to movies because every time we went there were either people talking to each other, or on the phone, or kids texting, or getting up to get soda and popcorn refills literally every ten minutes. When we moved to our house, though, we found a theater close by in a smaller, more upscale mall. Gone are the vast majority of the annoyances...even the teeny-boppers are well behaved, which is a huge relief. Our movie attendance has gone up since we moved, and you couldn't pay me to go back to the old theater.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #63
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Avatar: First impressions - The Tech Report

The section on "The Visuals" is interesting, because it talks heavily about 3D being a last gasp attempt to keep people going to theaters, and the reality that watching at home is usually better quality, cheaper, and less annoyances. A really good summary of the issues without even getting into the cost of concessions and the like.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #64
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Going to Avatar at an IMAX this weekend. Looking forward to it. I don't care so much about 3D, but real IMAX(there are a couple BS half screens out there) is truly an experience that should drag anyone out of their cave for the right flick. This certainly looks to be one.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #65
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't like IMAX screens. They are too big, so you can't see the whole screen. And you are seated too close to the screen.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #66
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I don't like IMAX screens. They are too big, so you can't see the whole screen. And you are seated too close to the screen.

yes n yes
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #67
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

I missed this the first time around but....well done.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I missed this the first time around but....well done.

I've had to do this three times in the past year! Once, it was some high school kids who were indignant and told me that I should apologize to them and grow up.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote