Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #51
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Mr. Game & Watch is the best thing ever. I wish he didn't suck to fight with because I have more fun playing with him than anyone else.

I still have 3 characters left to unlock: Sonic, Toon Link, and Ganondorf. I'm halfway through Sub-space Emissary, too. I gave it another chance and it's alright. Not great, but ok when I don't have someone else to play with.

I've finished the Subspace mode, and have 4 or 5 people left to unlock. Everyone else was unlocked while playing through that mode.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #52
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

How many characters come 'locked' vs 'unlocked'? Maybe I should be trying to unlock some before I hang out with friends so that we have more to choose from?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #53
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've unlocked 10 or so going through Subspace.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #54
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think 20 or 21 come open when you first load it up, leaving 14 or 15 to unlock. Many of them get unlocked very quickly.

And WTF I just played my 301st VS match and Sonic hasn't shown up yet. I guess I will look at some other places to see what I'm supposed to do to unlock him. I played like 80 matches just to try to open him up before a friend comes over to play tonight. wtfwtfwtfwtfwtf
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #55
MikeVic
Head Coach

I got Sonic through the Subspace mode.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #56
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
I think 20 or 21 come open when you first load it up, leaving 14 or 15 to unlock. Many of them get unlocked very quickly.

And WTF I just played my 301st VS match and Sonic hasn't shown up yet. I guess I will look at some other places to see what I'm supposed to do to unlock him. I played like 80 matches just to try to open him up before a friend comes over to play tonight. wtfwtfwtfwtfwtf

Yeah I swear played 15+ times on Snake's level but haven't unlocked him.

I'm not the first to say it but this game is great advertising for some of Nintendo's less popular stuff. Lucas and Ike are two of my favorites, it makes me want to get Fire Emblem and has me wishing for Mother 3 to be localized. Once I unlock Snake I'm sure the wait for MGS4 will be even worse.

Question for people using the GC pad, say if you want to do an "up smash," is there any advantage to holding down A to charge the move or will tapping up on the C-stick give you the same fully charged smash? I can't seem to charge it up with the C-stick but the move still seems pretty effective...
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #57
hukarez
College Starter

Played the hell out of this game on Saturday with some buddies on his projector - had a complete blast!

I'll have to try online and get my FC to post here, but I have to admit - when I was playing Subspace (stage with Lucas and Ness, Lucas running away from Wario, etc...) - everything suddenly started to get choppy and sluggish.

Eventually, I got a weird screen talking about a disc read error, and to eject my disc and restart the Wii. Oddly, things have worked afterwards - but I'm debating whether or not to take advantage of the free repair via Nintendo per:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/rep...rm_us_ssbb.jsp
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #58
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Whoops. I misremembered my one digit of my friend code.

0387-8583-2493

Sorry about that if anyone had already added mine.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #59
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Question for people using the GC pad, say if you want to do an "up smash," is there any advantage to holding down A to charge the move or will tapping up on the C-stick give you the same fully charged smash? I can't seem to charge it up with the C-stick but the move still seems pretty effective...

Charging it up is definitely more powerful. You hold down both up and A at the same time (I think) and it does more damage. Characters like Fox & Pikachu who have a killer up&A move is made even more deadly when you charge it up. The C-stick one is solid, too...but when you charge it you get many more kills with it.

My favorite move with most characters
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #60
hukarez
College Starter

Here's my FC: 4854-6259-4399
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #61
MJ4H
Coordinator

Unlocked Toon Link this morning after my 400th VS match. I think all that is left is Wolf for me to unlock, and I don't care that much about him, so I'll get him in the natural progression of things I guess.

If anyone has the new Nintendo Power, I highly recommend taking a few minutes and building the 6 sample stages they have in their article on building better brawl stages. The stages take about 5 minutes to build each and they are well worth it. Very well thought out and very fun.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #62
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Brawl Code - 1633 4003 2443
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #63
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I still haven't had a chance to try this out yet. I will post my code when I do (for sure by the end of the weekend).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #64
MikeVic
Head Coach

So I added everyone here. I saw Big Fo online as I added him, but there's no way to ping him or anything in-game. I tried creating a game and waiting, or joining a game he had (but he didn't have a game).

I wasn't by a computer, so I couldn't ping him on FOFC. That bites. They really need some messaging system or something.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #65
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Nintendo's online effort has been . . . dissapointing.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #66
MJ4H
Coordinator

No doubt there. I don't care much about it, though.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #67
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
Nintendo's online effort has been . . . dissapointing.

Yeah it's strange. 80% of the time it works great for me, 10% of the time I can't seem to get a game going at all, and 10% the framerate is so bad that the screen freezes until I get logged out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
So I added everyone here. I saw Big Fo online as I added him, but there's no way to ping him or anything in-game. I tried creating a game and waiting, or joining a game he had (but he didn't have a game).

Yeah it's not the best system for playing specific people. I'll be on again sometime tonight though, maybe we can get a game going. A 2v2 team battle with four of us from the board would be pretty sweet if anyone else is going to be on sometime before South Park at 10pm ET.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #68
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't care much about online play with most games, but I was hoping for better communication in Smash. I understand their reluctance to open up mics and text chatting in case kids are playing... but with your Friend Roster, I think you should be able to somehow get their attention.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #69
MikeVic
Head Coach

I might be on, but I'm not sure when I'll get home.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #70
MJ4H
Coordinator

Anyone on now and want to roll?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #71
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

You gonna be on for a bit? I am rusty, haven't unlocked many chars, but I'd play after I eat. (Just started dinner)

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-20-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #72
MJ4H
Coordinator

Was going to play until basketball started again which is in about 10 minutes I think. Been playing against randoms since the message. I've won once and finished 2nd every other time.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #73
MJ4H
Coordinator

OK so I was an hour off on the basketball, but I had a blast playing with randoms just now. Online seems to be working much better. I vastly prefer playing with friends, but as far as online service, I don't need any more than what Brawl gives. That was pretty good.

Although I would like to be able to have a friend and I go online from the same Wii. Would be cool.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #74
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm on right now if anyone wants to go at it.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #75
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Coffee Warlord, I just added you, I'm up for a game if you're still playing.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #76
MJ4H
Coordinator

Thanks Big Fo for all the games. Was lots of fun when the lag was not unbearable. Some of those games in the middle were very good. The ones at the beginning and the end were a bit painful for lag.

Lucas is so hard for me
Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #77
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Man how many times did I walk into Metaknight's mini-sword combo...

Good games, bet the win-tally was around even. I keep trying out other characters but just keep coming back to Lucas and Ike, Mario is alright, I haven't really gotten any good with most of the others.

I wish this game had the kind of online features planned for Mario Kart, all kinds of stat tracking, see how you do vs. people on the friends list, download ghost racers from friends to use in single player, and a Mario Kart channel on the Wii dashboard so you can see who is playing without booting up the game. Oh well, the basic stuff works most of the time at least and should only get smoother.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #78
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Uh oh, a fellow Lucas player.

I got moderately decent with Ness back in the day, find I'm liking Lucas a lot.

I'm still the only one I've met who can use Yoshi.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-20-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #79
MrDNA
High School Varsity

It's interesting to me to see who likes to play as what character. I can't play Lucas worth a good gosh darn, but with Metaknight I can rack up the kills - same with DK, Kirby, Bowser and (less so, but still) with Pit. Looking forward to unlocking Sonic and seeing what damage he can bring.

What characters do y'all like?
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #80
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
It's interesting to me to see who likes to play as what character. I can't play Lucas worth a good gosh darn, but with Metaknight I can rack up the kills - same with DK, Kirby, Bowser and (less so, but still) with Pit. Looking forward to unlocking Sonic and seeing what damage he can bring.

What characters do y'all like?

I've been really tinkering around with Samus and Olimar lately - trying to be a bit more 'rounded' like Kirby, whom I'm normally playing as.

Unfortunately, a session last Saturday resulted in the obscene use of Zelda/Sheik thanks to my friend who played no one ELSE but her...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #81
MJ4H
Coordinator

Here are some of the more recent stages I have made in the stage builder. All of these are designed to be fun to play on, not to look like 8-bit Marios or someone's name or face (that annoys me so much).

If you build any of these and enjoy them, please let me know. I love to build stages and will gladly put some more of mine up if anyone wants them.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #82
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Those look cool, man. I'll have to try them out tomorrow. Thanks!
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #83
wade moore
lolzcat

I got this last weekend from my future in-laws, but haven't had the chance to play besides a little bit that weekend with family.

Once I fire it up and practice some, I'll definitely play with you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #84
MJ4H
Coordinator

Here is a cruddy quality video (but better than I expected!) that I made just to test out the process. This is me in a one off battle with a level 9 Yoshi. I missed enough Up+Bs that I landed in trouble in the last few seconds and was scrambling to break a tie that never should've been a tie. I won in sudden death, though, so whatever. Anyway, thought it might be interesting for you guys to see or share some vids of your play?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #85
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So how many times did you have to shoot that until you got a win?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #86
MJ4H
Coordinator

That was just a test of the way I wanted to record off the screen. I have recorded exactly one match

Thanks for the vote of confidence, though hehe

edit: I beat a single lvl 9 cpu about 75% of the time. I should've won this one much easier than I did, frankly. I don't win every time, though.

Last edited by MJ4H : 03-30-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #87
MJ4H
Coordinator

Question: does anyone have the random stage selection filter unlocked? So that you can filter out stages you don't want to play on and still use the random stage button.

I have all 40 stages unlocked and the 200 KOs it requires, but I can't find where to filter the stages. Am I missing something?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #88
AnalBumCover
College Starter

My Brawl Code: 0903-2707-6084
Old 05-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #89
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

You filter the stages in the brawl character select screen. It's up at the top in the same place you change the round rules from timed to stock or whatever. poke around in those option.

My Toon Link is coming along, but I am so disappointed in the lack of random play that I don't really play it as much as I thought I would. Nintendo really dropped the ball on this.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #90
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
You filter the stages in the brawl character select screen. It's up at the top in the same place you change the round rules from timed to stock or whatever. poke around in those option.

My Toon Link is coming along, but I am so disappointed in the lack of random play that I don't really play it as much as I thought I would. Nintendo really dropped the ball on this.

Yeah I solved this awhile back. The problem was there are actually 41 stages in the game despite most places saying there are 40. I had 40, but not 41, so I had to unlock 1 more stage (Mario Bros. stage) to get the filter.