Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #51
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
However if that happens, it is not necessarily good for you. You now have the label as a Mcbeth that climbs the ladder by execution. Which will get forwarded to your new store manager (or DM if you get the promotion) at which point every move will be analyzed to see if you are trying to provoke or set them up, once there is a conflict, well now you have been unable to get along with your last 2 bosses and you obviously have a problem with authority. It sucks, its a viscious cycle...
Absolutely agree with this 100%. I had a situation, not exactly the same, but close enough & I actually took the opposite approach...meaning I just hung in there & kept trying to do my job & stay motivated enough to not get fired, rather than request a meeting with my DM, or higher to explain how unhappy I was. It went horribly...I hated my job...I did things that were completely beneath my abilities...but couldnt justify quitting to myself until (long story short), I was asked to take a drug test for something which happened outside of work(not drug related, and I wasnt arrested).

Well, of course I would have passed it, as I wasnt into drugs (outside of a few drinks)...but the thought of not taking the test (it was put to me "Go take the drug test, or dont come back, per DM orders") actually appealed to me!! To CU Tiger's point...I knew that no matter what, from that day forward, I would be "that guy" to everybody above me in the district. The thought of being stuck at my current status/location made me physically sick...so I talked with my Co-Location manager(he was the 2nd man of the store, I was 3rd along with a few others in my location) who I actually liked, but also knowing that he actually has a stigma similar to what I feared for myself. So I told him I'm leaving, and not going to take the test.

Yes, plenty of my former coworkers that didnt know me too well might have thought I didnt go because I'd have failed, etc. But it didnt matter to me...the feeling of freedom from that nonsense was worth it.

I knew I belonged in a more technical environment anyway, where my real talents would trump petty politics(in most cases) & allow me to thrive...and I've absolutely not looked back since.

Your situation might be different than mine...and you might actually be happier with your current job than I was...but I figured I'd give you a different perspective on what "can" happen, if you did the opposite. But you may have already surmised as much.

SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Food service is a vindictive buisiness run by petty opportunistic mouthbreathers who most likely peaked in high school.

I've always been a fan of the use of the term "mouthbreather"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #53
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I've always been a fan of the use of the term "mouthbreather"

SI

There's a great song by Jesus Lizard called Mouthbreather.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #54
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

amusing update.

I do believe I own my boss. She just served alcohol...to a minor...while he was on the clock.

SWEEET
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #55
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
amusing update.

I do believe I own my boss. She just served alcohol...to a minor...while he was on the clock.

SWEEET

Wow. Did you pull out your cellphone camera?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #56
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Wow. Did you pull out your cellphone camera?

got the champagne in the fridge at work (with work stuff all around) but couldn't get it on the table. however i do have 2 coworkers who will speak to it.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #57
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
got the champagne in the fridge at work (with work stuff all around) but couldn't get it on the table. however i do have 2 coworkers who will speak to it.

I sound like an old man.. it's called a "cameraphone"

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #58
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Wait, I'm confused. You guys are allowed to have alcohol at work?
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #59
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
And then, of course, there's this place, where it seems like everybody in my family has gone:

http://www.yale.edu/bulletin/html/grad/clss.html

*hisses*

*waves his Princeton flag*

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #60
Izulde
Head Coach

dola,

You know I'm voting grad school, DT.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #61
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Wait, I'm confused. You guys are allowed to have alcohol at work?

nope. it's expressely forbidden. which is why i plan on being the snitch.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #62
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

and today i broke the grad-school idea to the parents btw izulde+cronin. they seemed to be fans of the idea, while cautioning me that "i need to change and grow" before i go (i'm VERY risk-averse and anti-social)
Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #63
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
dola

and today i broke the grad-school idea to the parents btw izulde+cronin. they seemed to be fans of the idea, while cautioning me that "i need to change and grow" before i go (i'm VERY risk-averse and anti-social)

Yeah, this is going to sound like a cliche, but I'd wager a lot of the top programs are pretty large universities, so you'd definitely need to find ways to make the campus smaller and get outside and do something besides study and/or write once in a while.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #64
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
dola

I'm both of those things as well. There's a great quote from a movie I forgot, where a guy says something like "I'm shy." And the response is, "shy? You're not shy." 1st guy then says: "Oh yes, I am. But I overcome it."

knives out
Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well my convo with the district manager went good. after my convo with the HR lady yesterday though it's apparent the way things are headed, and that is that even if I keep my job my promotion won't happen for way too long. so I told her i'd save her the work of an investigation and my district manager would have my notice on monday AM. as everyone always says though...better of for it in the long run. but after 7 years it feels almost like say...a divorce. so it's tough to really believe in the moment that it's for the best

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-03-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #66
st.cronin
General Manager

http://ls.berkeley.edu/stepbystep/

knives out
Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

exactly cronin. makes that whole thing much much more likely
Old 02-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #68
st.cronin
General Manager

fyi, berkeley has a famous "crash course" in classical languages, latin, greek and possibly some others. I think it's a summer session, but I'm not sure. It's supposedly excellent.

knives out
Old 02-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
fyi, berkeley has a famous "crash course" in classical languages, latin, greek and possibly some others. I think it's a summer session, but I'm not sure. It's supposedly excellent.

woot woot!
Old 02-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #70
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well...giving my notice in an hour and a half. lil bit nervous, I guess because after so long it feels almost like I guess a divorce would feel. but then again I don't really have a choice I guess, so I might as well embrace it.

letter is all typed and sealed up, so i don't even really have to say anything, just hand it over.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #71
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Good luck.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #72
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

thanks JE. I know it needs to be done and all, but it still saddens me. And some of it's my fault and some of it isn't, but *shrug*. Then again, I feel slightly stupid for feeling so loyal to a company that obviously couldn't give a rat's ass about me personally.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #73
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Good luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #74
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaaah. it's done. went quite well...i was assured that i'm leaving on good terms and if i wish to come back i'll be welcome. they're even offering to let me stick around on a PT baasis. although I don't want that, it was at least nice to hear.

went very well. and i just feel...much better
Old 03-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #75
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*cough*

and THAT boys and girls is why we don't fuck with daddytorgo.

just heard today that my ex-manager is now out looking for work. yw
Old 03-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #76
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
*cough*

As a result of stuff with you? Would you consider trying to go back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #77
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
As a result of stuff with you? Would you consider trying to go back?

well as a result of me narc-ing on her.

Nahh. honestly...i need to find something that's not retail. Something 8-5...9-5...something "normal" where I am using my education more
Old 03-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #78
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

retail is teh suck,
My wife was in it for years and made it to a DM position.
We never realized how much we missed due to her schedule until I "made" her quit.

Quality of life up 1000%.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 03-15-2007 at 02:30 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #79
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
retail is teh suck,
My wife was in it for years and made it to a DM position.
We never realized how much we missed due to her schedule until I "made" her quit.

Quality of life up 1000%.

yeah. Realistically I wouldn't even be able to get into a DM position for another 3-4 years. And I've done everything below that. It just wasn't worth the time to get to that point, when the responsibility still far outstrips the pay.

i'm done with that.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #80
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
*cough*

Hahahaha, that's freaking hilarious... in yo face lady!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #81
Subby
lolzcat

relax, subby
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 03-15-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #82
Subby
lolzcat

Seriously - you don't have the fucking balls to have a sit down heart-to-heart with your manager, so you resolve the situation by snitching on her and then quitting. And now you get some ridiculous hollow revenge.

Pathetic. I am sure you think you won here and maybe that situation was what you needed to get you moving toward grad school, but hopefully one day you will grow up and man up and realize how ridiculously child-like you acted.

Best of luck to you.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #83
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Seriously - you don't have the fucking balls to have a sit down heart-to-heart with your manager, so you resolve the situation by snitching on her and then quitting. And now you get some ridiculous hollow revenge.

Pathetic. I am sure you think you won here and maybe that situation was what you needed to get you moving toward grad school, but hopefully one day you will grow up and man up and realize how ridiculously child-like you acted.

Best of luck to you.

child-like? because she did something illegal that could land her in court and I felt (and the company agreed incidentally) that she was a liability and they certainly shouldn't give her anymore responsibility and should take some away?

yeah. That's not called child-like. That's called "don't break the law while you're on the clock."

then again, what would I really expect from subby?

edit: I don't blame you though subby. If you were just clicking on this thread for the first time you might not read through it all and realize that the reason that I was venting and upset with her had nothing to do with the illegal activity that she actually partook in in order to get herself fired.

and don't feel bad for the lady. Her fiance owns a string of car dealerships. She has a black AmEx card. She'll be alright.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-15-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #84
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Best of luck to you.

uncalled for IMO
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #85
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
and don't feel bad for the lady. Her fiance owns a string of car dealerships. She has a black AmEx card. She'll be alright.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #86
Subby
lolzcat

I hope you can see that my post is well-meaning.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #87
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I hope you can see that my post is well-meaning.

Telling someone they don't have balls is well meaning?

Telling them they need to be a man and grow up is well meaning?

now it's time for some witty Subby comment...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #88
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I think the root of what Subby is getting at is that DaddyTorgo (admittedly) didn't want to have to confront his ex-manager about any of these issues. To the extent that this constitutes Subby's beef with DaddyTorgo, I agree - I think that DaddyTorgo should've at least made an attempt to sit down with his manager and express his issues with her directly before going above her to the district manager and HR.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #89
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

As someone who's been dicked by a crappy manager, some don't deserve and aren't worth confronting.

I would have just about killed for some "hollow" revenge on that asshole boss I had.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #90
Critch
lolzcat

I agree with Subby, though I perhaps wouldn't have said it so abruptly.

Grassing somebody to the higher ups to get revenge is low (how old was the minor anyway?) but gloating about them losing their job is lower.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #91
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
amusing update.

SWEEET

I think this post can pretty much be considered the "trigger" for Subby's reaction.