Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2003, 07:27 PM   #51
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Chief, that's what I really like about threads that you start. You care about what others say.

Quote:
For instance, Gettysburg is a solid movie and you have it as #1. And, yeah, it has war scenes which are always cool, and poignant battlefield decisions and what not. The acting was very good. But what I remember from Gettysburg was that its length outstripped its excitement, leaving a lot of dull parts; that there were so many characters it was hard to really identify with any of them (Jeff Daniels came closest, IMO); that the musical score wasn't strong enough to evoke the kind of passion I think the filmmakers were trying to show on the battlefield; and that historically accurate or not, long stretches of battle fought in vision-reducing forest and involving tactical changes that most movie goers aren't going to get. To me, this is a just an okay movie with an interesting story to tell, but the delivery may have been a bit flawed, IMO. But my bet is that you disagree with much of what I just said and that you also don't hold it against me that I feel otherwise.

I can understand that sentiment. However, I think the key difference is that I know the book (Shaara's Killer Angels) and of course, the battle very well. Therefore, I can easily identify (and keep track!) of all of the character, particularly Daniel's Col. Chamberlain. For casual fans of action and drama (which is not pointed at you, CR), I can see how the length and the confusion of who is who can make Gettysburg pretty tedious to get through.

Quote:
The story is also intriguing. In scifi land, the concept of man-built machines and alternative realities is almost clicheed, but for most moviegoers the concepts were probably relatively new. The plot also did a good job of moving forward the story, with the mystery of what the Matrix is and how Neo fits into it doing well for the first half of the movie, and then the rescue of Morbeus in the second half.

It probably goes without saying that I went in with a pre-conceived bias of being anti-scifi, particarly anything dealing with man-built machines. Terminator has that too but it is a much simpler story than Matrix so I at least followed that. I can see why fans of scifi can enjoy Matrix but I'm too grounded in history to care to enjoy anything that the premise of the Matrix presented.

Quote:
It's about the Top Ten Movies You Have Enjoyed.

I guess our friend, QuikSand, will differ on that. He will insist that regardless of what you and I think, movies like American Beauty and Eco's book are genius and if we don't think so, than we just don't get it.

Quote:
Godfather

I used to hang around the premier Godfather fansite and message board (you wouldn't believe the discussions about every single detail). In that forum, there had been interesting discussions about comparing I and II. While the "experts" agree that II is just as good if not better than I, I don't agree (so what else is new?). Godfather II is extraordinary but I still like I better. The reason is the setting or atmosphere. Godfather I was about Little Italy and the traditional families centered around New York City. Godfather II started out far away from that in Lake Tahoe. I certainly know the history of CalNeva (Giancanna's place where the Kennedy's hung out) but that loses the atmosphere of Five Points, Brooklyn, etc. The flashbacks to the younger Vito was brilliant but it was almost like I wished it stayed there instead of coming back to the present where Michael was alienating everyone. The other thing that got me about Godfather II was a minor thing and that is Al Neri. I don't care what anyone else said but he looked and acted just as Italian as Father Flanagan. Vito had Clemenza, Fish and Luca Brasi. To me, those were the true old school capos.

Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:38 PM   #52
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
I don't think there's any way I could distill a top-10 list without feeling like I've left out at least 20 more. I think all of my favorites have been mentioned already with one exception:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

A great movie! It has been a while since I have seen it though.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:31 PM   #53
AgPete
College Prospect

I'm not very good with these lists because I'm a huge movie fan and have a difficult time mixing and matching but in no particular order:

The Godfather (The talent in that cast and crew is unbelievable. The epic of all epics.)

Just about any Alfred Hitchcock film (The master, nuff said.)

The original three Star Wars (Hollywood will never make popcorn movies like those ever again.)

Rounders (Really my own personality more than any film mastery, I just love everything about that film.)

Braveheart (Big fan of historical epics and this is prob my fave of the bunch.)

Unforgiven (Big fan of westerns too, especially spaghetti westerns, and this movie sums up his career. Has one of the coolest lines ever by Eastwood after he's been drinking.)

Pulp Fiction (I disagree with some critics, I think PF was better than Reservoir Dogs, it's just fashionable to like the small indie film that didn't make much money. Another movie that has one of the coolest lines ever in Samuel L. Jackson's speech to Tim Roth.)

Contact (Another personal preference. IMO, one of the movies that you have to agree with the message to appreciate the beauty of the film. RIP Carl Sagan, you got it, and the world will miss you.)

American Beauty, Fight Club, American Psycho, et al (All the smart pieces on the emptiness of our consumer oriented society.)

Monty Python & the Holy Grail (The mother of all comedies. )

I already feel like I've left off a lot of great films with this list. Oh well, it's fun to talk about movies anyways.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:44 PM   #54
AgPete
College Prospect

Re: My Personal Top Ten Movies

dola

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum

2. Field Of Dreams-- Yeah, it's sappy stuff. But I love baseball, and this movie always reminds me how much I love it--and it makes me think of my Dad, too.

I love that movie too. I was very tempted to put it on my list. I agree with you Chief Rum, it's the ultimate father/son bonding movie. One of those movies that gets me choked up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Forgot about that movie. Yeah, definitely a classic. I'm a big Jimmy Stewart fan, lots of classics on that man's resume.

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
No way I can narrow it down to ten and I definately can't rank them, but some of my favorites off the top of my head:
Vertigo

I went ahead and listed all Hitchcock movies but yeah, I was tempted to put Vertigo at the top.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:22 AM   #55
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

A Walk To Remember

"The only way I will come back to the NFL is if the Lions hire June Jones as Head Coach..." -Barry Sanders

"When he threw the ball 38 straight times the other day, I said, 'That kid is my son,' " Mouse Davis said of June Jones.
Hawaii Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:56 AM   #56
Blade6119
Coordinator

Just a few random movies that i have yet to see...not my top 10..

Tomcats-prob. in my top 3, this movie is non-stop hilarous...the underlying plot with horatio sanz thinkin his wife(jamie pressley) is a cheating lesbian is one of the funniest things ever!!!!! predictable at parts, suprising at others, but all around great.

The Goonies-a movie i remeber from my childhood as liking as lot....just a fun movie, and some great insults

any movie with even a glimpse of kelly monaco...god she is hot...she does soap operas now, and i cant bear sitting through one to see her...sad...

I also enjoyed Rat Race(the new one) and Undercover Brother.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:12 AM   #57
Ragone
Pro Rookie

A Walk To Remember got to me, in a way most of those genre of films that i'm dragged to see don't..

That being said..

I think a good sports movie that doesn't nearly get the credit it should.. is Blue Chips..

Nick Nolte as a Coach with a crisis of Conscience.. Shaq playing a role he can actually handle, Penny hardaway makes it through the movie without getting hurt, and Matt Nover.. well he gets a tractor!
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:19 AM   #58
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
1. Dr. Strangelove (I just watched it again last night)
2. Big Lebowski (the Dude abides - a movie with so much subtext and clever humor, that I don't know where it fits in "great" movies, but I never get tired of watching it)
3. American Beauty (I only thought it was "pretty good" the first time I saw it - it is definitely a movie that is better with each viewing)
4. Life is Beautiful (it is easy to dismiss Benigni because of his other work and because he was so annoying, but the movie is incredible story and insightful view of the Holocaust)
5. The Game (Fincher's best film and yet his least popular - wonderful story of fate)
6. Requiem for a Dream (absolutely stunning and gripping)
7. Hoop Dreams (best documentary ever - I just wish it would come out on DVD)
8. Full Metal Jacket (greatest half of a movie ever - the 2nd half is underrated - my favorite "war" movie)
9. Blue Velvet (David Lynch's finest movie had a style so unique and compelling)
10. Memento (a movie that makes the list only because of its concept and execution)

There are so many honorable mentions that I wouldn't know where to start, but to add movies others haven't named: Dark City, Bridge over River Kwai, Citizen Kane, Thin Red Line, and Mulholland Drive.

You have excellent taste.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:29 AM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
Shaq playing a role he can actually handle

Shaq couldn't handle Kazzam?

I'll admit I never saw a movie with Shaq in it except for Blue Chips (solid movie, BTW), but considering his other movies (what, two or three?), he's always been a superficial superhero type, right? I mean, those roles were too much for him to handle?

Just curious.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:29 AM   #60
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
I think a good sports movie that doesn't nearly get the credit it should.. is Blue Chips..

Nick Nolte as a Coach with a crisis of Conscience.. Shaq playing a role he can actually handle, Penny hardaway makes it through the movie without getting hurt, and Matt Nover.. well he gets a tractor!

I couldn't disagree with you more. That movie gets all the credit it deserves as a mediocre, forgettable sports movie.

"He Got Game" shows what a real director and real story can do with the same kind of setup.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:34 AM   #61
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it was that bad, oykib. I guess mediocre is a good word for it. Nolte's speech at the end, while contrived (from an audience point of view), is an interesting statement on the state of college athletics.

As for "He Got Game", I completely agree with you that that is a very good movie, and much better than Blue Chips. I have to admit I would like to punk the nob that came up with that stupid title. Peobably the same jerkoff that decided to name my favorite hockey team after a friggin' Disney movie.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:42 AM   #62
astralhaze
College Prospect

I thought "He Got Game" was a fine film, although not even close to Spike Lee's best work. Best sports movie I have seen would be "Hoop Dreams" but for fictional sports movies, "He Got Game" would be on my short list along with "Field Of Dreams", "8 Men Out", and a few I am certain I am forgetting.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:48 AM   #63
thesloppy
Pro Starter

2 cents and 10 movies

Apocalypse Now
Thin Red Line
Blade Runner
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Donnie Darko
Manchurian Candidate
The Shining
Chinese Super Ninjas
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:18 AM   #64
Bad-example
College Starter

Some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Henry and June - Filmmaking as art. I believe this was the first movie to be tagged with the NC-17 rating. Great direction.

Richard III - Amazing performance by Sir Ian Mckellan and some truly breathtaking art direction. A strange, compelling adaptation blending Shakespeare's work with a pseudo-WWII setting.

Boogie Nights - A tremendous effort for the director to get such a good performance from Mark Wahlberg of all people. P.T. Anderson absolutely nailed this one.

Clue - This movie cracks me up. Tim Curry was hilarious as the butler. Great cast and a great concept.

Army of Darkness - This one has stood the test of time for me. I still laugh out loud when I watch it. Gimme some sugar, baby.

The Matrix - I said "wow" out loud probably 5 times the first time I saw this movie. Probably my favorite movie in the genre.

Crimes and Misdemeanors - This one stuck with me a long time. As good as Martin Landau was in Ed Wood, I think he was even better here.

Princess Bride - I love this movie. Terrific casting and a fun story that all ages can appreciate.

Monty Python ik den Holie Gralen - My favorite comedy. A spanking, a spanking!

Unforgiven - Two of my favorite actors, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman make this the only western flick I can count among my very favorites.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:27 AM   #65
SuburbanPimp
Mascot

1) High Fidelity: The book is the Father, the movie is the Son, and both give me the Holy Spirit. Seriously, both the book and film are my bible, and I feel that both should be mandatory reading/viewing for all males when they hit 21. There are so many issues/scenarios in this film that I can relate to in my life, and the perfect casting of each character (well, maybe except for Lisa Bonet) is just icing on the cake. I have seen the film at least 20 times, and there will come a day when I can recite the entire film line by line. John Cusack’s best performance ever? Quite possibly.

2) Ghost World: This was the best film of 2001, no question. This is arguably Steve Buscemi’s greatest performance (so far), as he played a lonely record collector. There are too many jokes to mention (Enid working at the theater, BLUES HAMMER!, the jukebox at Wowsville), and one of the most beautiful endings you’ll find. If you haven’t seen this movie…WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?!

3) Planet of the Apes: Just for the record, I am not talking about the disappointing Tim Burton remake. The original is one of the best science fiction movie of all time, with one of the greatest endings in movie history. PERIOD. The rest of the “Apes” series is good true (well, movie #5 is kinda “eh”), so I would recommend the first one, at least.

4) American Beauty: I think this has been talked about enough in this thread. I just think that twenty years down the road, this will be not only regarded as the best film of our generation, but one of the greatest of all time. If I could become 1% as good of an actor as Kevin Spacey, I will be happy.

5) Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: Yeah, an 80s classic, it’s on almost everyone’s list, & “Danke Schoen” is one hell of a tune. The end.

6) The Empire Strikes Back: It kicks 20 million different ways of ass, and the climax (Luke, I’m like…your dad and stuff…) is one of the best, duh. It’s just a shame that these three new movies do not even deserve the “Star Wars” name.

7) Rushmore: I liked “The Royal Tenenbaums”, but I enjoyed this one much more. The story is great, and has a great soundtrack to go with it.

8) Office Space: Yeeeeah, this has kinda been gone over already. So, if we could move on, that’ll be greaaat.

9) O Brother, Where Art Thou?: Okay, so the soundtrack was kinda popular. But, the movie was just as good, if not better. The idea for the script was genius, and the finished product was wonderful. Clooney is another one of my favorites, with “Out of Sight” and “Ocean’s Eleven” (Did somebody call for a doctor?) being quite enjoyable.

10) Shawshank Redemption: It’s faboo. Everyone likes it. You know you do too.

Honorable Mention: Say Anything, The Breakfast Club, Swingers, Better Off Dead, About a Boy, Career Opportunities (It has Jennifer Connelly in it…SEE IT!), Man Who Wasn’t There (SEE IT!), Matrix, LOTR: Two Towers, Memento, Igby Goes Down (SEE IT!), Rules of Attraction (SEE IT!), Requiem For a Dream, Psycho (and not that Vince Vaughn crap!), Rear Window, and the list goes on and on and on and on…

Opening Acts: Ben McDonald's Gopher Ball Band, The Disabled List (feat. David Segui & Glenn Davis), The CAL-VINE! Tribute Band, plus a cast of dozens!!

FINAL RECORD: 78-84. I think we're getting there. Now, it's time to get some pitching over the winter.

FEAR MIGGY & THE ORIOLE IN 2005, BABY!!

Last edited by SuburbanPimp : 05-05-2003 at 04:29 AM.
SuburbanPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:45 AM   #66
TroyF
Coordinator

Some of my favorites that I haven't really seen a lot of in the thread:

Slap Shot - Gotta love the Hansen brothers.

Better off Dead - Cusak at his best.

Weekend at Bernies - I have a sick sense of humor.

A Few Good Men - No sex, only one violent scene. Not a heck of a lot of cussing. Just an incredible movie.

Dr. Stranglove - As mentioned above, what a great movie.

Puddle Cruiser (I'd guess about 5 people ever saw the movie, but it was a classic IMO) - Same group who did Super Troopers made this one. Puddle Cruiser is 50X better.

Defending Your Life - One of the most underrated movies of all time IMO.

Citizen Kane - Great from start to finish.

Pink Panther (the entire series of them) - Funny movies.

Planet of the Apes (the original) - Again, as said above. Best ending of all time. . . period.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:50 AM   #67
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think he got game used WAY too many stereotypes.. Dad who pushed to much.. Mother who was never there, schools recruiting him with sex.. etc etc etc.. When you ask a Basketball player (who admittedly did a admirable job) to carry a movie, and stick your best actor on the film in a support role (denzel) I just didn't ever care for this movie.. and i Like pretty much every sports movie by default(well except caddyshack 2.. and slapshots 2(why?)

Next thing your gonna tell me is the Air Up there was a accurate representation of Basketball recruiting in Africa (yes, all African tribes have a 6'11 thin as a rail post force who can dunk from the free throw line)

Last edited by Ragone : 05-05-2003 at 04:52 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:58 AM   #68
oykib
College Starter

I don't know that saying that "He Got Game" is vastly superior to "Blue Chips" leads to the conclusion that I would like "The Air Up There".

I think most people recognize that "He got Game" is a well-crafted film while "Blue Chips" is star-driven Hollywood claptrap.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:44 AM   #69
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
I don't know that saying that "He Got Game" is vastly superior to "Blue Chips" leads to the conclusion that I would like "The Air Up There".

I think most people recognize that "He got Game" is a well-crafted film while "Blue Chips" is star-driven Hollywood claptrap.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:34 AM   #70
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
I guess our friend, QuikSand, will differ on that. He will insist that regardless of what you and I think, movies like American Beauty and Eco's book are genius and if we don't think so, than we just don't get it.

Okay, I get the jab. Of course, I never said that the movies I believe to be great have to be on your top ten list... so you're making a false comparison there. Indeed, what I said (and stick by) is the argument that greatness can exist even if not everyone agrees on it being great.

What's the alternative, then? If one person in a thousand sees the Sistine Chapel ceiling and says "so what?" do we then say that Michelangelo's talent is just a matter of perosnal opinion? Or should we stil be able to say that it is an important work, a true reflection of genius, even if some people don't get a lot out of it.

Again, I am not arguing that you're "wrong" to omit American Beauty from your personal top ten list. If you really wish to argue that The Mummy was a better film, have at it. My argument is that American Beauty will indeed stand the test of time, and that its brilliant use of metaphor, juxtapositioning, and storytelling will define it as a landmark film. But again, that's just my opinion, and simultaneously a prediction about the future opinions of the larger critical community. It doesn't mean that in my opinion, you have to like it. Indeed, my point is that independent of whether you like it or not, I believe it to be a work of genius.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-05-2003 at 09:37 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #71
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
You have excellent taste.

Why, thank you.

Looking through my DVD collection last night, I thought of a few more movies to be added to honorable mention (that I haven't seen on someone else's list): Dangerous Liasons, You can Count on me, and Pi.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:35 AM   #72
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Michael, I hope realized it was just a friendly, good-natured jab. Couple of responses. First, I didn't say that The Mummy was a better film, it was a film that I have immensly enjoyed watching over and over. Does that make it better? I don't really know, perhaps for me it makes it better but that was not what Chief was getting at, I believe.

Second, there are those in the artistic field, like the neo-modernists, that do say "so what" at the Chapel. They say it represents an archaic view that dares to depict biblical spirituality and thus, should have no place in today's world. Such a view does not recognize any value or genius. If enough of them or if they are able to persuade those in charge, then the value or even the product will be vanquished (or at least allowed to deteriate fully). I'm not saying that is what will happen for the Chapel (yet) but it was just used as an example of the countless treasures that have existed and now gone from world's history. Closer to home is my pet cause and that is the preservation of historical sites, particularly battlefields. Too many have said (and are still saying) "so what" and demolishing or building over hallowed grounds or buildings.

Now I realize that this is a stretch when comparing to movies and books but I think the same principle applies to its longevity. We still recognize works of art that have long disappeared but increasily so, only among a select few. I believe in a more democracitization of art and it needs to be around and available for all of us to consider. Or something like that.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #73
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

My Ten Favorites from the present and recent past:

I like a lot of these because they launched a genre or simply leave me entertained time and time again.

1. The Producers.

The best Mel Brooks film (won an Oscar for Best Screenplay in 1968), until it was revived as a Broadway play recently, it was also the least known. Laugh out loud funny.

2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Funny on so many levels from the best comedic troupe ever.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It was the crime of the century that this film didn't win Best Picture in 1981. Does anybody even remember what film did? A classic tale of adventure with great special effects, laughs and thrills like any other. The DVD comes out later this year, and I can't wait to get it.

4. This is Spinal Tap.

A wonderful send up of the overblown 1970's rock documentary genre. It would probably have affected me more if I wasn't under such heavy sedation.

5. Star Wars

Yes, the dialogue is cornball. Yes, Carrie Fisher can't act her way out of a paper bag. Yes, it's spawned a few more cornball scripts from Lucas along the way. This movie was important because it was the first truly modern science fiction film.

Consider, without the success of Star Wars, there would have been no Blade Runner, no Total Recall, no The Matrix, no Minority Report or anything else in the genre that has followed since. This film also launched the career of Harrison Ford.

6. Das Boot

A great anti-war film cleverly disguised as a war movie. Best seen in the original German, with subtitles.

7. Toy Story

It's easy to forget now, with digitally animated films by the thousand, but this was a truly ground breaking film for the time. A lot of folks I know who wouldn't be caught dead going to a typical Disney flick went to this one because of the novelty. But the film also had a great story about friendship, and was actually an adult buddy film in kid's clothing. Great, great flick.

8. Blade Runner (The Director's Cut)

Yes, it's flawed, but the atmospherics and dark atmosphere set it apart. It launched a science fiction film noir genre since followed in films like The Matrix, Minority Report, Total Recall, and numerous others. Great movie.

9. Office Space.

Yes it's low budget, yes it didn't do much in the theaters, but it is the quintessential office comedy, and the number of cultural references to the movie (witness the Reebok Terry Tate commercials) make it influential far beyond its box office receipts.

10. Something Wild.

My favorite offbeat comedy of all time. Melanie Griffith is hilarious as Lulu, who is very closely modeled on hellraising silent film star Louise Brooks (more on her in a moment).

Next Up, my ten favorites from the Black & White days.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #74
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The DVD comes out later this year, and I can't wait to get it.

This is the news I had been waiting 6 years to hear and somehow I missed it. This truly is great news.

WussGawd reminded me of a sub-list: favorite Disney movies. My Top 3 are:

1. Toy Story 1 and 2
2. Aladdin
3. Mary Poppins
Old 05-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #75
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Ten Great Ones from the Silent Film and Black and White eras:

1. Inherit the Wind.

A great great fictionalized version of the Scopes Monkey Trial. There was recently a remake with George C Scott and others, but I enjoy the original a bit more. Pops up on Turner Classic Movies from time to time, worth looking for.

2. Metropolis.

The original dark future science fiction film. Also launched the career of Fritz Lang, a great German director who later emigrated to the US to escape Hitler's thugs.

3. The Battleship Potemkin.

Another one from the silent film era. Essentially a Soviet era propaganda piece, it is most notable for being a pretty much dead on story of the 1905 revolt against the czar in Odessa, and the subsequent defection of the Potemkin, Perhaps Russia's most modern battleship of the time.

The scene with the Cossacks and the steps of Odessa is perhaps the most blatantly copied scene in movie historiy (most notably in 1986's the Untouchables.

This one can easily be found at most public libraries, and its worth checking out.

4. Pandora's Box.

One more from the silent film era. A German film, this film was simply too mature for the theater going audiences of the early 30's that saw it. Louise Brooks stars as Lulu, a woman who destroys every man she comes in contact with before being killed by a criminal very reminiscent of Jack the Ripper. Film noir before audiences even understood the term.

5. The Man Who Knew Too Much.

An Alfred Hitchcock classic so great that he actually remade it years later. Worth watching.

6. The Great Dictator.

Charlie Chaplin's take on Adolf Hitler. The film juxtaposes Chaplin's Little Tramp character with Hitler in a case of mistaken identity.

7. Triumph of the Will.

A Nazi propaganda piece (which makes it increasingly difficult to find in this politically correct to the point of stupid era), this Lani Reifenstahl documentary about the 1935 Nuremberg Rally was so far ahead of the state of filmmaking elsewhere to stand out as a classic. Even more haunting with the knowledge of what the Nazis later did to Europe.

8. Casablanca.

Simply the best film ever made, any era. I took my wife, who can't stand black and white films as a rule, to see this one during it's brief 50th anniversary run a few years ago. She loved it.

9. Lawrence of Arabia

A classic adventure about probably the most enigmatic man of the 20th century.

10. The Caine Mutiny

A wonderful psychological piece with Humphrey Bogart's best performance.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #76
Butter
Coordinator

I only own 3 movies on DVD, Fight Club, Se7en, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I don't think Seven has been mentioned, but I don't know if it would be in my top 10 of all time. The other 2 would be.

The person who mentioned Ghost World was right on, that was an awesome movie, but only for a certain audience, as mainstream moviegoers probably wouldn't find the humor to be as funny as I found it.

One that would be, but hasn't been mentioned yet is Fargo. Wonderfully directed, and beautifully realized. Still bust into an accent every now and then. So many great scenes. I don't know if this was as good as Raising Arizona, but it's pretty close.

Most others in my faves list have been mentioned. 2001, A Clockwork Orange, American Beauty, Life of Brian, Terminator 2, Halloween... there are a lot more, but I'll cut it off here.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #77
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm sure I'll forget tons of classics, but I'll give it a shot.

In no particular order...

1. Goldfinger. Hooked me on Bond, my favorite movie franchise of all time. Connery is sauve. There's the element of stealth, but it's got great gadgets as well. And who couldn't help but love a movie with Pussy Galore.

2. Saving Private Ryan. I thought I'd never see a good war movie come out again. The movie is as intense as any I've seen. Great acting.

3. Empire Strikes Back. The best of one of the best series ever.

4. The Professional. This is my quirky one. I have no idea why I like a film about an orphaned girl wanting to become a "cleaner". Gary Oldman is brilliant as the villan.

5. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. Great movie.

6. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. I love all 3 of the Spaghetti Westerns, but this is the classic.

7. Seven. I liked this just because the ending didn't turn out to be another "good guys get bad guys" film.

8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. "It's only a flesh wound"

9. The Marx Brothers' movies. Never understood the fan base of the 3 stooges. Marx Brothers had so many little jokes, you'd often miss them laughing at something else.

10. Hoosiers. I'm from Indiana. I think it's state law to have to like this movie.

There's tons more I'm sure. Dr. Strangelove is high on my list as well, just to name one that's been mentioned.

edited to show that I forgot a honorable mention; Aliens.

Last edited by ColtCrazy : 05-05-2003 at 10:24 AM.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:28 AM   #78
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
This is the news I had been waiting 6 years to hear and somehow I missed it. This truly is great news.

As you may know, work is underway on a fourth Indiana Jones film (with Harrison Ford returning in the lead role, interestingly enough). The film is due for release in the summer of 2005.

Paramount is apparently going to release Raiders in the fall of 2003. I've heard rumors at different times that they may go the Boxed Set rout, or might release them a few months apart as buildup for the film. The latest has them being released as a boxed set, apparently. You can find more info about Indy 4 and the DVD rumors here.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #79
iceberg414
Mascot

Ace Ventura pet detective...number 1

2) mob/mafia movies(godfather, goodfellas, scarface, carlitos way, donnie brasco, etc)

3) early arnold movies(predator, total recall, cammando, etc)

4) gladiator

5) matrix

6) blow

7) 6th sense

8) program

9) traing day

10) last boy scout

hopefully i can add reloaded.

i also like american beauty, crouching tiger... john q, the others, city of god, dead prez, next friday... i am really critical of movies some cheesy ones i like, some criticaly acclaimed i hate...
Old 05-05-2003, 10:34 AM   #80
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

There is but one movie that all movies prior and since compete to be # 2 against

I speak of the one the only:

Caddyshack!
44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:35 AM   #81
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks, WussGawd, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:05 AM   #82
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69

One that would be, but hasn't been mentioned yet is Fargo. Wonderfully directed, and beautifully realized. Still bust into an accent every now and then. So many great scenes. I don't know if this was as good as Raising Arizona, but it's pretty close.

"Fargo" was a great film. Francis McDorman has a special place in my heart just because of this movie. It was a solid film all the way around.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #83
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Dola: In light of this thread and a day off, I'm going to spend the day watching great films.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:56 PM   #84
3ric
College Starter

Check this site out if you like other people's best movie lists: http://www.ymdb.com/

My top 10:
1. Blade Runner
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Usual Suspects, The
4. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The
5. Alien
6. The Seven Samurai
7. Singing in the rain
8. Godfather, The
9. Gone with the Wind
10. L.A. Confidential

Last edited by 3ric : 05-05-2003 at 04:57 PM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:48 PM   #85
Frozenrope
Mascot

God, I love lists. Anyway, my Top 10

1. Almost Famous - Didn't even get nominated for Best Picture the year is came out. Travesty. Best coming of age picture ever made.

2. Schindler's List - Scene where Liam Neeson breaks down has caused me to shed more tears than any scene ever.

3. When Harry Met Sally - Easily the best romantic comedy.

4. The Apartment - Jack Lemmon and Shirley McClaine are wonderful.

5. The Sting - Type of movie you can watch 150 times and not tire of it.

6. The American President - Aaron Sorkin's best work, including The West Wing

7. The Full Monty - Would be even better if I understood everything Gaz says with that thick accent of his.

8. JFK - Oliver Stone's best work with the best editing of any film I've ever seen.

9. The Insider - Russell Crowe gets the kudos for Gladiator, LA Confidential, and A Beautiful Mind, but IMHO he tops them all with this performance.

10. Forrest Gump - Magical movie; Tom Hanks final stop to superstardom. Can you believe that movie is 9 years old?

Honorable Mentions - Airplane!, The Truman Show, All About Eve, Contact, All the President's Men, Ransom, Die Hard, Minority Report, American History X, Rounders, Ocean's 11, Back to the Future, The Breakfast Club, Pulp Fiction.

Anyway, my list, for what it's worth.

Last edited by Frozenrope : 05-05-2003 at 05:52 PM.
Frozenrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:49 PM   #86
Scholes
High School Varsity

Rushmore
Caddyshack
Office Space
The Usual Suspects
Wonder Boys
High Fidelity
Good Will Hunting
Swingers
The Big Lebowski
The Royal Tenenbaums

That was an off the top list... but pretty much in order. It's good to see Rushmore get some love here... my favorite movie ever.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote