Favored Bitch #1

My pets are in my will!!!

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #52
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As in "oh I'm daddy when he needs something". As in me handing the baby to my wife back in my SAHD days and saying "here's your son"

Or maybe you just had to be in my head to get the humor, I dunno.

We do the same. For us, it is more of a cute or funny way to tease one another rather than communicate with the dog.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #53
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My pets are in my will!!!
just as long as you arent leaving the f'n cat back to me.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #54
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk00 View Post
my point is there is a lot more to being a mommy & daddy to children.

My boy is only 5 months old, but my wife and I have commented several times that he's been easier than our dog was for the first 5 months.

Now, obviously that will change, but do not underestimate the chaos of a puppy. We couldn't even sit down and watch a rented movie in one evening until the puppy was almost a year old.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #55
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
For the record, our outdoor cats (farm cats/mousers) don't even get names...partially because I go through about 15 a year due to bobcats/coyotes/dogs and partially because I view them as employees rather than pets. So I understand this relationship, too.

Same here. There is usually about 30 cats around my farm in the late spring/early summer time and by the time the next spring rolls around we are down to 5 or 6 mainstays that seem to make it through every winter.

I usually pick out one kitten to make my office cat and name it, but they usually die within a year. My last one I actually had to shoot because I found him laying there all fucked up. I actually have a harder time shooting some of my favorite cows when they are sick beyond repair than any of my cats. The cows at least make me some money (minus the current economic climate where it's a matter of a cow losing me less money).
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #56
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk00 View Post
my point is there is a lot more to being a mommy & daddy to children. it is very different than being the caretaker of pets. why not use your name people, the dog will learn "come to johnny" "come to suzie", just as well. Mommy & Daddy should be reserved for the actual parents.

Now if you are telling your dog to go see her mommy & her mommy is a dog across the room, then all is good.

so you're sayin your old lady never calls you "daddy?" Or is that different?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #57
Subby
lolzcat

Lathum pretty much has it right in this thread.

If you are getting really worked up about it, it might be time to drop to your knees and thank god you have the luxury of opining about such meaningless bullshit.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #58
Subby
lolzcat

That said, the wife of one of my childless co-workers showed up at one of our conferences at the Four Seasons pushing her dog around in a baby stroller. I thought that might have been a little borderline.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #59
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
That said, the wife of one of my childless co-workers showed up at one of our conferences at the Four Seasons pushing her dog around in a baby stroller. I thought that might have been a little borderline.

that's overboard
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #60
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh my God yes! A few years ago I was visiting my mom shortly after she got a cat. The cat was a little shy with someone she'd never seen before showing up, and my mom kept saying, "come on out and meet your brother!" I'm in my 30's, haven't lived with my mom for over ten years. I am not this cat's brother.

At our place, we call our cats by their names -- they pretty well know their names, although they sometimes respond to each other's names -- they're probably responding more to the tone of our voices really. Anyway, our cats are mother and daughter, so thinking of them as our children brings up all kinds of family tree issues.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #61
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

Does little baby love her mommy-wommy? Yes she does! Yes She does!

Perfectly normal.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #62
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
so you're sayin your old lady never calls you "daddy?" Or is that different?

Nope, but I do like the mom jokes, they never get old.
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #63
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Oh my God yes! A few years ago I was visiting my mom shortly after she got a cat. The cat was a little shy with someone she'd never seen before showing up, and my mom kept saying, "come on out and meet your brother!" I'm in my 30's, haven't lived with my mom for over ten years. I am not this cat's brother.

At our place, we call our cats by their names -- they pretty well know their names, although they sometimes respond to each other's names -- they're probably responding more to the tone of our voices really. Anyway, our cats are mother and daughter, so thinking of them as our children brings up all kinds of family tree issues.

bumpity

So this has gone too far. I posted some pictures of me with one of my cats on facebook, and my mom said something about how her cats say hi to their cat cousins -- or are they cat aunts. Now my cats are related to her cats?

A few days later, she was back on facebook, talking about taking one of her cats to the vet -- her ex-husband, my ex-stepfather. She said something like, "good thing the cats' vet is also their dad" -- so now her ex-husband -- who she divorced at least five years before she got these cats -- is their dad?

Sheesh! I think that even some of you who are down with calling yourselves parents to your pets have to agree that this is going too far.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #64
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

aww... that's cutesy-wootsie that mommy-wommy took precious & sunggles to see daddy waddy. the auntie & cousins thing is so cute too! i think i'm going to go right out and buy an outfit for my dog for the occasion!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #65
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'm with M Go Blue on this. My dog is my pet, my kids are my kids.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #66
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Sheesh! I think that even some of you who are down with calling yourselves parents to your pets have to agree that this is going too far.

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 10-21-2009 at 02:39 PM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #67
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

My wife calls her dogs her children and does the whole mommy/daddy thing - I don't get it, but there are more important things in life to worry about imho ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #68
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Those of us with Kids will attest to the fact that we're no longer really known by our actual names at home, we are "mommy and Daddy"

Its just a general reference, its not like we're claiming that our pets are actually our children (no matter how much they ACT like them)

This makes sense to me. I don't know the particulars of MGB's case, but something like this I can understand -- but there are definitely cases where it's worse.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #69
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Twice in the past week when walking by Walgreen's, I've seen this woman pushing a stroller with at least four puppies in it. Creeeeepy!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #70
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Twice in the past week when walking by Walgreen's, I've seen this woman pushing a stroller with at least four puppies in it. Creeeeepy!

My wife had a stroller for her dogs for a short while, I viewed it as being an acceptable thing on the basis that her dogs help keep her from being broody and I really couldn't hack doing the whole baby thing again (if I have to I'm sure I'll survive and love the little one - but heck we've 3 now and already outnumbered by the little bleeders ).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote