Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2003, 01:13 PM   #51
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I've toyed with the idea of floating an FOFC-RPG dynasty/game. Some of you might recall the misadventures of Sol the Thief/Archer from the old board...something like that, only party-based and more dependent on player interaction, role-playing, etc.

Regardless of the other discussions and PnP possibilities from this thread, would any of you be interested in such a thing?

Perhaps more free-form (not based on any particular system of rules)?

Thoughts? Comments?

(You knew I couldn't resist this and that I'd be here eventually, sachmo! )

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:24 PM   #52
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar

Regardless of the other discussions and PnP possibilities from this thread, would any of you be interested in such a thing?

Could it involve frozen yogurt and body art? if so, count me in.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #53
KWhit
Coordinator

CoffeeWarlord or WSU:

Well, us ATL folks seem to be working our way toward a face to face game, but I would be up for trying out an online campaign too. It seems like you'd miss some of what makes PnP games fun, but I'll give it a shot.

I would rather have it be DnD 3rd ed rules so we have some structure to it, but I agree it should be more of a roleplay experience than anything.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #54
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Could it involve frozen yogurt and body art? if so, count me in.

Now I'm glad it's not a face to face game!
Old 05-20-2003, 01:50 PM   #55
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Since MUDs were brought up, I'll mention the one I help design, and play on as well. We're a CircleMUD, like cuervo mentioned, but we're in the process of creating a new MUD using C++, since CircleMUD can be buggy. Anyway, here are the URLs:

http://castle.mudsrus.com/
http://castle.mudsrus.com/~stories/redesign2/
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #56
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Dola -

I had forgotten about Top Secret. I loved that game.

I also enjoyed Star Frontiers - the system wasn't that great, but I GMed a fun campaign in which the players were space-detectives. It was great fun to try to come up with some elaborate mystery they had to solve. I think that's where my love for storytelling and writing comes from.

I played SO many of these games. DC Heroes was really good too. I also played a Marvel RPG for a while that was fun. What else? There was a 007 RPG that was fun for us, too.

I was never a meta-gamer. I was always more interested in the role-play than I was the combat or tactics. I loved to put my character in crazy situations and try to talk or think my way out of them.

Good call on Star Frontiers. I only played 1 campaign ever, and really enjoyed it. Top Secret was also an interesting game that I had very little experience with. ahhh, the RPG days... how i miss them.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:20 PM   #57
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Cougar,

I was a big fan of Sol and would be very interested in participating in your online game if you go through with it. I had been wondering if you were still going to try and go through with the idea. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:34 PM   #58
Eilim
High School Varsity

I'd be up for an online AD&D session. I have to admit though, that my only experience with the 3rd edition ruleset was with NWN and my 2nd edition knowledge would have to be classified as "rusty" at best.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:42 PM   #59
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

HERO is now attempting to become a multi-genre system, much like GURPS. However, it is math intensive. I'm still learning the game, but this seems to be my sort of system. Basically, the powers fit into a framework and it's up to the player to decide what the "special effects" are. This is supposed to allow HERO rules to mimic any gaming system around. It looks promising, but not for the feint of heart. For example, if you want to create a superhero who shoots waves of confetti on his enemies, you can do it. Just buy the desired amount of "Flash", choose any limitations to make it cheaper (such as "only works at social gatherings"), and describe it on your character. Wa-la, you've just created Party Boy, hero extroidnare.

My friend loves Rolemaster, as all good D&D geeks should, except combat lasts forever. I wouldn't be adverse to trying this system out sometime.

I never played DC Heroes, but I have heard good things about it, one of those points being simplicity. However, the guys I play with don't like simple, so I'll probably never get to play.

For those fans of Shadowrun, did you know that the company who makes HeroClix is putting out a Shadowrun combat game? Looks pretty neat! Whizkids
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #60
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
I've toyed with the idea of floating an FOFC-RPG dynasty/game. Some of you might recall the misadventures of Sol the Thief/Archer from the old board...something like that, only party-based and more dependent on player interaction, role-playing, etc.

Perhaps more free-form (not based on any particular system of rules)?

Thoughts? Comments?

(You knew I couldn't resist this and that I'd be here eventually, sachmo! )

Dola:

Hey Cougar! I knew you couldn't keep out of this thread!! I would love to play along, but I would suggest we use an established system that people know, or that's not hard to learn as we go...like 3rd edition.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #61
Calis
College Starter

Damn't, all this talk of P&P games is getting me nostalgic. I've long ago lost all my Shadowrun stuff, but now I find myself scouring the net for places to start restocking, bastards!

The good news is, Amazon has very good condition copies of the 3rd Edition ruleset, which I don't believe I ever even played, for 6-7 bucks, can't beat that. Problem is, all the other books are still normal price, and I KNOW I'll start buying them as well. Damn it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:50 PM   #62
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

One, I started a new thread for culling out interest in an online game.

Two, I am definatly more of a role-player than a roll-player. Granted, there's always some fun in a little gratuitious hacking and slashing, but some of my favorite gaming sessions involved zero combat whatsoever, and nothing more than a handful of skill checks mid-roleplay. d20 system, while I do have some issues with it, is still probably the most easily accesible system for tabletopping, online or in person, while still allowing for character unique-ness.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:36 PM   #63
KWhit
Coordinator

Those of you that play face to face D&D 3rd ed - Do you play with miniatures? From what I've read, they seem important in this version of the rules.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:50 PM   #64
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yes, in combat they really help.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:10 PM   #65
oykib
College Starter

Cougar, I'm guessing that for what you want a Storytelling system like Amber or Prince Valiant would be best.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:51 AM   #66
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
Damn't, all this talk of P&P games is getting me nostalgic. I've long ago lost all my Shadowrun stuff, but now I find myself scouring the net for places to start restocking, bastards!

The good news is, Amazon has very good condition copies of the 3rd Edition ruleset, which I don't believe I ever even played, for 6-7 bucks, can't beat that. Problem is, all the other books are still normal price, and I KNOW I'll start buying them as well. Damn it.

Finally decided to get caught up on this thread. I have 3E Shadowrun- better game design than 2E and who really needs the supplimental books anyways. They add some fun but I ran a 2E and 3E campaign out of just the one handbook and I don't think my players were much the worse for it.

Granted, I'm not much of a DM: just not detail oriented enough, but I think Shadowrun had some game design problems (first and foremost what to do with deckers/everyone else when decking was necessary and secondly, it seemed as if there really were only four classes: fighter, mage/shaman, decker, rigger; but there were lots of little things). Still, it was one hell of a fun world: you could do anything you wanted with it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-21-2003 at 12:51 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:15 AM   #67
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I was at Wizards Of the Coast the other day, and they are having a huge sale on all RPG products that are not published by Wizard (basically anything not D&D or D20). I picked up RIFTS and thumbed through it...and I think it's just too strange for me. Too many options and too much chaos. Lots of source material though. That game has to have about 30 books written for it. I almost picked up Palladium's After the Bomb. It looks like an updated Gamma World. Now that was a fun game!