Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #51
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've never even thought about TiVo, and I'm having a hard time imagining what it does that would be worth so much extra money a month. Is this just a rant against cable DVRs, because I've never really had much problem with my DTV DVR.

My experience has been with Comcast, I have not used others. I just know I've owned a Tivo, the old series 2 no less, and the Comcast DVR is straight up painful to use in comparison.

Really not so interested in spending time with specifics, I don't have any stake in it. Just my own personal experience.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-27-2010 at 10:47 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #52
cuervo72
Head Coach

I hate to admit it, but I've gotten pretty used to my DTV HDDVR. Especially now that it has a DoublePlay feature.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #53
flounder
High School Varsity

I've only used a Comcast DVR so I can't speak to other brands, but the Comcast did not have Wishlists or Season Pass rankings. Now that most of them have two tuners Season pass rankings are probably not that big a deal, but I would really miss Wishlists.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
But $20/mo for a 2 year commitment is more than buying the box and paying the regular subscription fee for 2 years...

Oh, yeah, I didn't realize a Premiere was only 99 dollars on amazon, although it looks like it locks you into a 20/month subscription for a year. Which is pretty much the same price over 2years as just getting it for free.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #55
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I do not watch TV but my wife does all of the time. She uses Comcast DVR on a daily basis and if she is able to easily work it, then it must be good.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #56
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I've only used a Comcast DVR so I can't speak to other brands, but the Comcast did not have Wishlists or Season Pass rankings. Now that most of them have two tuners Season pass rankings are probably not that big a deal, but I would really miss Wishlists.

fwiw - Cox DVR has both of these things. I've never used the wishlists, but it has a similar feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #57
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've never even thought about TiVo, and I'm having a hard time imagining what it does that would be worth so much extra money a month. Is this just a rant against cable DVRs, because I've never really had much problem with my DTV DVR.

How much do you pay per month for your DVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I do not watch TV but my wife does all of the time. She uses Comcast DVR on a daily basis and if she is able to easily work it, then it must be good.

I think part of the issue here is what "use it" means. We've had discussions on this board and I am BAFFLED at how people use their DVRs. The way some people use it then it is obvious that they don't need something with a lot of functionality, they just need something that can record, and that's it.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #58
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I think part of the issue here is what "use it" means. We've had discussions on this board and I am BAFFLED at how people use their DVRs. The way some people use it then it is obvious that they don't need something with a lot of functionality, they just need something that can record, and that's it.

This makes me wonder what I'm missing out on. What other functionality is available that you are surprised that people aren't aware of/taking advantage of?
Radii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #59
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
This makes me wonder what I'm missing out on. What other functionality is available that you are surprised that people aren't aware of/taking advantage of?

Let me try to find the thread(s), because I can't remember specifics.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #60
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
How much do you pay per month for your DVR?

I believe the way this works with DirecTV is that I pay $7/month for DVR service, regardless of the number of DVR receivers I have. I pay a $5/receiver lease fee, but that fee is required whether or not the receiver is a DVR. So, if I had TiVo and an HD receiver, I'd still be paying $5 to lease the receiver, but not the $7/month DVR service fee. Looks like a basic TiVo receiver would cost about what the DTV DVR costs ($100), but I'm saving $13/month in the service fee.

As far as what people use their TiVo for, I'd be interested to know as well. Someone on the firrst page mentioned transferring stuff to the computer, burning discs, etc. - I have no interest in or use for that at all. We have a DVD player with every TV, so there's no need to burn discs to play on TV, and no one in my house is interested in watching TV shows on the computer. I don't record enough stuff that I would need to move some of it off the DVR to make room for other stuff. I use it to record stuff we either can't watch at the time it's on or want to record so we can skip commercials and watch shows quicker. not sure what else I'm "missing" that I'd be interested in, but I'm curious to know how others use it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #61
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think I remember Tivo users years ago talking about how it would guess what kinds of shows you liked based on what types of shows you watch/record and would then record episodes of the shows it guessed you liked. Is this what we are talking about? Because I would find that annoying as hell.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #62
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post

What do you mean by Season Pass rankings? Like rating which series to record over another? Because Comcast DVR has had that like forever.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #63
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Quote:
Let me try to find the thread(s), because I can't remember specifics.
So, lemme get this one straight. You're BAFFLED that people aren't using the awesome functionality that is so awesome you don't know what it is???
Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #64
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sign me up also as "willing to learn about the great world I'm missing out on."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #65
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I think I remember Tivo users years ago talking about how it would guess what kinds of shows you liked based on what types of shows you watch/record and would then record episodes of the shows it guessed you liked. Is this what we are talking about? Because I would find that annoying as hell.

Totally agree. That function is for people who watch WAY more TV than I do. I can't even watch the shows I make an effort to record. I couldn't possibly imagine recording a bunch of shows I want to watch and then having a bunch of shows I've never even heard of pop up on my DVR and me doing anything other than deleting them while cursing at the TV, while wading through them to find the stuff I want to watch.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-27-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #66
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

When I had DirectTV back in Atlanta in 2005ish I had a Tivo DVR and it had this feature. You could like/dislike shows and it would try to find similar shows to record for you. It was an interesting novelty but within a couple weeks it was turned off. I remember "liking" high stakes poker and after a few days was getting all kinds of game show network shows recorded for me that I had zero interest in, etc.

EDIT: I should point out I didn't buy a tivo separately, but that was the DVR that DirectTV provided at the time. I did enjoy it far more than the comcast DVR I had from 2006-2007 and the DirectTV provided DVR I have had from 2008-present. That wasn't because of any extra features, but rather the fact that it was the fastest/most reliable. No 30+ second delays when I try to delete an episode like I get on occasion now, etc.

Last edited by Radii : 12-27-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Radii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #67
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Things that have baffled me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I've always had the Comcast DVR. Tivo allows you to sync up to Netflix, but other than that I don't see any difference. If anything the most annoying thing Comcast has done was copy Tivo by having the show "jump back" x seconds (because people were too dumb to anticipate when a commercial would end or too lazy to rewind if they went past it?) It makes it an adventure if you're trying to rewind to hear one line, and it kills me during recorded football games - I used to be able to fast forward between snaps and knock out a whole game in less than an hour.

On-topic, I'll just say thank god for FX, USA, AMC and the premium channels. There isn't one new show on the networks I've checked out and enjoyed this fall. A couple may be decent (The Event, Lone Star), but I'm skeptical of getting interested in them when so many are canceled within one season (as Lone Star made so painfully obvious.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Directv's DVR sucks for stopping when you hit the button. Comcast was much better and easier to hit the right time on the commercials. On DTV on the faster speeds it goes like 15-20 behind when you hit the button.

This is an excellent feature to me. I believe there is a thread somewhere else where either the same person or someone else said something to the effect of, "Everyone knows a show starts back up after this and that and this other thing." I am not everyone, apparently. I hit play as soon as I see the show and it backs up just enough to where the commercial break ends.

Oh, found it, it was BishopMVP:

Quote:
If you pay attention it's really not that hard - commercials on network shows are mostly the same length, and most run promos just before returning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I generally have my DVR recording 2 shows each hour during prime time Monday through friday (That is the max my DVR can record). I then watch the shows that night or the next day (since I work from home and have a tv in my home office).

So if there is nothing better on at that time slot, I'll usually record whatever is best. So in this case, there isn't anything I would rather watch in that time slot, so it gets the call.

I personally think it matches what you are saying, so not sure what caused the confusion.

I guess because he works at home all day it's not as odd, but I only record shows I know I am going to watch.

Similarly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am sure it's a matter of viewing habits. I can see what Alan's talking about.

I equate DVRing a show to leftovers from dinner out. It's always a question of whether I'll feel enough like having leftovers to eat them before they go bad. Since they usually go bad before I feel like having them, I rarely ask to take home leftover food anymore.

DVR, I find is the same thing. When it's on TV the first time, it's like an appointment to watch. If you care enough, or you have dedicated that time as "TV time", you'll make time to watch it at that time. Bur when you DVR something, it's like leftovers--recorded to be watched at some undetermined time later, in a usually busy schedule. Whether or not I get around to watching it before I lose interest or the next eoisde or two are already on is to be determined. If it happens often enough, after a while, I only DVR shows/programs I know I care enough to make time for later (usually, this ends up being sporting events).

Basically, unless I am flat not home or it's something I absolutely will make time to see if recording it, if I am not watching it when it's on live the first time, you can bet I'm not going to see it. So it does becoem a choice of what to watch at what time. In that respect, I see exactly what Alan's talking about.

That's all I have time to research, but.. Some people use their DVRs very differently than what I envision as the "right" way to use it. For the record, This is what I do:

a) I have a wishlist that records the first episode of most, if not all shows
b) If a show on the wishlist seems intriguing after the first episode, I had a season pass. I also add a few shows to my season pass list if I am rather certain I will enjoy it.
c) I have a season pass list of shows I know I will eventually watch
d) When I have time I watch an episode, or part of an episode, or several episodes of shows I have chosen to record based on my season passes
e) If I am out of shows from my season pass list I either 1) Watch something on Netflix streaming or 2) Watch something from TiVo Recommends
f) A new feature, but I play Pandora on my tivo
g) I program either season passes or individual shows (for instance, if Letterman is having a band I like on) from the web interface at tivo.com
h) I watch sports live or generally within 20 mins of start time. Sometimes it is nice to set it to record and start just a little bit late so you can speed through commercial breaks and hafltime

I have no idea what night most shows are on. I just turn on my TiVo, and if something I like has been recorded, I watch it. It may have record 20 minutes ago or 20 days ago, it doesn't really matter.

I don't often transfer shows to my iPhone, but I could if I wanted to. I mainly don't because I don't have a dedicated PC to run the transfer, which takes a while over my slow wifi network.

Things I wish the TiVo did:

1) PIP
2) "Widgets" for lack of a better word. Things like weather, fantasy scores, etc that I could show over top of the program I am watching
3) PIP
4) Direct syncing between two tivos. I don't have two, but I probably will some day -- my understanding is that you have to transfer shows between the tivos, which takes time. It does not stream or in any other way handle not having to manually tell it to transfer and having to wait for that transfer to complete. Again, I don't have two, so I may be mistaken on how that works
4) Watch shows remotely (a pipe dream) like slingbox
5) PIP
6) manage your season pass list from the web -- currently, I believe, you can only do two things online a) add shows/recordings b) see a list of the shows that are currently on your box. It would be nice to be able to delete shows, manage season pass priorities, and delete season passes.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #68
wade moore
lolzcat

I had a Series 2 Tivo (now have a Cox DVR) and used the "Suggestions" feature everyone is talking about some. FWIW, it wasn't all that "annoying" in my opinion because that would be the first thing to go if you were running out of space, and it was all contained in it's own folder - so it wasn't a hindrance.

Anyway, that feature, even if I had it, would have been replaced by Netflix through my XBox anyways.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #69
wade moore
lolzcat

LS;

Um, I don't think any of that answered the heart of what this recent discussion is about.

What does the Tivo offer that those of us with Cable/Satellite DVRs are missing out on?

Quote:
Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #70
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I believe the way this works with DirecTV is that I pay $7/month for DVR service, regardless of the number of DVR receivers I have. I pay a $5/receiver lease fee, but that fee is required whether or not the receiver is a DVR. So, if I had TiVo and an HD receiver, I'd still be paying $5 to lease the receiver, but not the $7/month DVR service fee. Looks like a basic TiVo receiver would cost about what the DTV DVR costs ($100), but I'm saving $13/month in the service fee.

Well, you couldn't use a regular Tivo Box with DTV anyway. And I would say you're saving at most $6/mo. You have to take out the $7/mo for the DVR from that estimate. The cost thing is moot, but, again, I'm an exception. The only fees I pay are the TiVo subscription and my streaming-only Netlfix subscription. That's $20/mo total for me for anything related to my television watching. I bought my TiVo 5 or 6 years ago and it paid for itself in a few months of not paying for DTV or cable.

Quote:

Quote:
Totally agree. That function is for people who watch WAY more TV than I do. I can't even watch the shows I make an effort to record. I couldn't possibly imagine recording a bunch of shows I want to watch and then having a bunch of shows I've never even heard of pop up on my DVR and me doing anything other than deleting them while cursing at the TV, while wading through them to find the stuff I want to watch.

I don't know that it's as intrusive as you guys think. On your list of programs there is a folder labeled "Tivo Recommends" (or whatever it is called). It takes up one slot in your whole list. If you open that folder, you see all of those recommendations. In addition, those shows take up extra space on your drive -- they would never supersede the programs you have chosen to record. Even if you never "thumbs up" a show, it automatically gives a thumbs up to anything you have a season pass for. It can be a novelty for some, but in the summer or other times when there are no new shows and you happen to catch up, it can be useful. If you never watch it the worst thing it does is take up one spot in your list of programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So, lemme get this one straight. You're BAFFLED that people aren't using the awesome functionality that is so awesome you don't know what it is???

Nono, I can't remember the crazy methods people have of using their DVRs. And those crazy methods are what baffle me.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #71
Logan
Head Coach

Outside of wishlists, the recording of "other shows I'd like", and Pandora streaming, my Time Warner DVR does all of that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #72
digamma
Torchbearer

LS, let me paraphrase.

You have cool methods for finding programs to record and watch them. The commons just use the guide or in dvr search function to record shows and watch them.

Does that sum it up?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #73
QuikSand
lolzcat

Good, glad to hear I'm not actually missing out on anything significant.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #74
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
LS;

Um, I don't think any of that answered the heart of what this recent discussion is about.

What does the Tivo offer that those of us with Cable/Satellite DVRs are missing out on?

I can't say for sure, as I don't have those DVRs. Over the years I have heard a lot of complaints from DVR users that surprise me. Things like, "I didn't see xyz last night because my DVR didn't record it" or "My DVR crashed again last night" or back when they didn't have "Season passes" but you had to specify a channel and time. I'd have to look at what I've said in this thread, because I say some stupid things sometimes, but I don't know for sure what features specific cable DVRs have compared to the tivo. I imagine they vary widely. That's why I listed what I do, and people can attempt to determine if those things are possible with their DVR or not. If it is and their happy with it, then fine. Tivo has been incredibly reliable and foolproof for me over the years. Our (Wade and I) dad had a stroke 3 years ago and is still able to use his tivo without any problems. Could he use a cable dvr? Maybe, dunno.

I'm a broken record, but I'm clearly in a different position than a lot of people. my options are different: Tivo? Windows Media Center? Something custom? A cable DVR is not an option, but I'm mostly of a mindset that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If I were to switch to FiOS, which I think I will if it is ever available, I would just assume stick with my tivo than see what their DVR is like unless I know for a fact that it offers something my Tivo does not.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #75
Ksyrup

I have absolutely no problem with commercial breaks. I FF on "3" on my DTV DVR, let it go into the show a second or two, hit play, and I almost always nail it as it comes back on. It's like an art form, like knowing to within a second or two when a sporting event has come back from break when you're watching another channel during commercials.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #76
Ksyrup

Quote:
Well, you couldn't use a regular Tivo Box with DTV anyway. And I would say you're saving at most $6/mo. You have to take out the $7/mo for the DVR from that estimate. The cost thing is moot, but, again, I'm an exception. The only fees I pay are the TiVo subscription and my streaming-only Netlfix subscription. That's $20/mo total for me for anything related to my television watching. I bought my TiVo 5 or 6 years ago and it paid for itself in a few months of not paying for DTV or cable.

OK wait, so I'm confused. Are you saying that DTV and TiVo are incompatible? So what I'm missing if I switch to TiVo is...DirecTV?! And it would cost me more per month for TiVo to be forced to switch from satellite to cable? That definitely doesn't seem worth it. That's like the tail wagging the dog, it seems.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #77
Logan
Head Coach

I think the actual product is called a DirecTivo.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #78
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem with commercial breaks. I FF on "3" on my DTV DVR, let it go into the show a second or two, hit play, and I almost always nail it as it comes back on. It's like an art form, like knowing to within a second or two when a sporting event has come back from break when you're watching another channel during commercials.

Right, because it has the auto-correct of rewinding a second or two, right?

Quote:
OK wait, so I'm confused. Are you saying that DTV and TiVo are incompatible? So what I'm missing if I switch to TiVo is...DirecTV?! And it would cost me more per month for TiVo to be forced to switch from satellite to cable? That definitely doesn't seem worth it. That's like the tail wagging the dog, it seems.

Well, DirecTV is a different beast. It has its own encryption that is different from the standardized encryption used by cable companies, which employ the "cable card." The creation of the DirecTV DVR that you use now signaled the end of the DirecTV and Tivo partnership.

They recently renewed that partnership and the new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

is schedule for release in 2011. But since about.. 2005? There has not been a DirecTivo produced.

All cable providers and fios work with the tivo. DirecTV does not and I don't believe Dish does either.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #79
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What do you mean by Season Pass rankings? Like rating which series to record over another? Because Comcast DVR has had that like forever.

The Comcast model I had last year didn't have that, but it was probably an older model. It didn't even have HDMI out.

Like I said upthread, Tivo's killer app for me is moving video to and from my server. If you don't want that, a cable company DVR will probably do just as well for you.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #80
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I've never even heard of that.

I'll tell you, if DirecTV spent just a fraction of the time they spend on commercials trying to sell DirecTV to current DTV subscribers on commercials designed to educate their subscribers on services/option/features they have but don't know about, they'd be a more successful company. I already have to go searching DBSTalk forums and the like to find out about new HD channels, or happen to stumble across stuff like DoublePlay or Whole-Home DVR services while on their site looking at my bill. It's like they don't want anyone to know about their product.

EDIT: Ah, OK, I guess that's something I'll hear about in 2013 after it's been out there for a couple of years with no promotion.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-27-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #81
Ksyrup

Quote:
Right, because it has the auto-correct of rewinding a second or two, right?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I always thought it was because I was FF'ding so fast that I needed to give it a second or two to "catch up" to where I stopped, resulting in a delay from where I stop it to where it picks it up. I think if I FF on the slowest settng, it would start almost exactly where I stop it. But I usually don't FF that slow, so I don't know. It doesn't auto-correct to the exact moment of when the commercial ends, though, because if I stop it too soon or too late, it picks up at the end of a commercial or several seconds into the show.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #82
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Sorry I'm a latecomer to this conversation. I have been a die-hard Tivo convert since 2003. I used it with Comcast. I had DirecTV (which used their own Tivo boxes), and now I am with Fios. I have 2 HDXL (xl for extra large).

One of my first complaints about the standard cable DVR's was storage space. The last time I used one, it could only hold 20 hours of HD programming. That may sound like a lot to some of you, but we record shows to watch at our convenience. Sometimes they back up. I taped the whole season of Boardwalk Empire, but only watched the first couple. Since I've had some time off over the holidays, I've watched another 5. Just that show would have taken up more than half the recorder.

So a serious question I have for any of you - what is the size of the cable DVR's these days?

Another feature I've used is called "Tivo-To-Go". Basically, I can copy shows off of my Tivo and onto my laptop. I can then take them with me on trips. I've watched shows on a plane. It's a nice convenient feature to have. Other than the homemade PC DVR's, do the cable DVRs let you do that?

It's also what you get comfortable with. The early cable DVRs were trying to play catchup with Tivo, which had many far superior features. But if what you are telling me is that other than a minor feature or two, you think most cable DVRs compare favorably with the newer Tivos, then the next time I need to replace a box, I will give them a fair shake.

I want two main things out of my DVR/Tivo - Reliability and Convenience. Years ago when I was in the market, Tivo was by far the best digital box on the market, and I became a loyal customer. That's why I have stuck with them over the years. But that doesn't mean I don't have my eye out on the competition (Moxi, anyone? Cabel DVRs?). If those products can meet my two very basic but absolutely critical needs, then I'll consider myself having learned something new today.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #83
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure. I always thought it was because I was FF'ding so fast that I needed to give it a second or two to "catch up" to where I stopped, resulting in a delay from where I stop it to where it picks it up. I think if I FF on the slowest settng, it would start almost exactly where I stop it. But I usually don't FF that slow, so I don't know. It doesn't auto-correct to the exact moment of when the commercial ends, though, because if I stop it too soon or too late, it picks up at the end of a commercial or several seconds into the show.

By "auto correct" I mean that it backs up a set amount of time when you hit "play", I just don't know what that time is. It knows that our brains can only process it so fast, so based on the speed of the fast forward it backs up x seconds knowing that you likely hit it after seeing what you want to watch.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #84
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I want two main things out of my DVR/Tivo - Reliability and Convenience. Years ago when I was in the market, Tivo was by far the best digital box on the market, and I became a loyal customer. That's why I have stuck with them over the years. But that doesn't mean I don't have my eye out on the competition (Moxi, anyone? Cabel DVRs?). If those products can meet my two very basic but absolutely critical needs, then I'll consider myself having learned something new today.

I think this is a lot of what we're dealing with in this thread.

5 years ago, Cable DVRs were bad in a lot of ways. They crashed, they lacked basic features, etc.

Now, at least with the Cox DVR I have, it does the basic functions - which suit a large majority of DVR users - just fine. It records shows, it prioritizes, it has dual tuners, a decent amount of storage space (I don't know the space, but I think comparable to the smaller Tivos), it has the equivalent to a "wish list", it doesn't record repeats, etc.

The only features I've heard touted in this thread that Tivo has and my Cox DVR doesn't are features that I think appeal very strongly to a small number of users. So, some people want to be able to transfer to other devices and MUST have this, but that's a very small portion of DVR users.

So, in reality, I think for Cable/Satellite users the box provided from their company is preferred because a) it's "easier" and b) it does what they need to do just fine.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #85
Ksyrup

Yeah, I know what you mean, and I guess it does that. I don't know if that's a feature or just a quirk of it, but either way, I've figured it out so that I time every commercial break perfectly - instead of anticipating when the commercials are ending, I just let it go a second or into the show, hit play, and it almost perfectly hits when the show comes back on. I just thought I was unusually good at timing it.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #86
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My premiere arrived today. I only got to play with it for an hour or two. But I already love the way it integrates Youtube, Netflix and Amazon On Demand. I'm working on putting together an integrated house setup to move recorded content around the house. I'd echo what tyketime and LS said. It is probably a niche product, but I will gladly pay $5 a month more for it(vs TWC's questionable DVR).
Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #87
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, the Amazon Video on Demand/Netflix etcetera of the premiere is nice, that if you think, "Hey I want to watch X movie", normally you'd go and search, and either drop it, or head out to the video store/redbox.. here it's "Oh! Here it is on Amazon VoD", click a button and start watching.

The Verizon FIOS DVR I had about, I think, 2 years ago now, was a piece of crap between delays between switching between menus, and just crappy design (and hardware, the box continually reset, and the capacity was ridiculously small. I like going in and knowing I have 8 EPL games to watch, for example.

And yeah, I will use the Tivo Desktop feature when I go travelling
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #88
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

If this feature of Tivo has been mentioned already, my deepest apologies. It allows you to automatically record any of the AFI top 100 movies and the AFI top ten movies in each genre like science fiction, comedy etc...probably not a game changer for most people, but I enjoy it and its allowed me to see some excellent movies that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sellout:Woot has a refrub'd Tivo Premiere for 59.99. Really good deal.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #90
wade moore
lolzcat

STRONGLY considering this.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #91
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

59.99 and 13 a month. Compare against 100 and 20 a month. Not bad.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #92
wade moore
lolzcat

fwiw, I pulled the trigger.

Right now with Cox I pay $16/month for the box and the service.

So I go to $12.99, plus the $1.99 or whatever for a cable card. Come out basically even but with the $60 up-front cost.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #93
Daimyo
College Starter

I think they legally have to give you the first cable card for free and you only need one for dual tuners. At least that's how it was when I had a TivoHD with Comcast 2-4 years ago.

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-13-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #94
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
One of my first complaints about the standard cable DVR's was storage space. The last time I used one, it could only hold 20 hours of HD programming. That may sound like a lot to some of you, but we record shows to watch at our convenience. Sometimes they back up. I taped the whole season of Boardwalk Empire, but only watched the first couple. Since I've had some time off over the holidays, I've watched another 5. Just that show would have taken up more than half the recorder.

So a serious question I have for any of you - what is the size of the cable DVR's these days?

I just checked Verizon's website - they still show a maximum of 20 hours HD. Certainly not anywhere close to enough space for my/our needs. They also tout having one central DVR and up to three different recorded shows can be watched simultaneously on three different TV's. Yet even more reason that a customer would need significantly more hard drive space.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #95
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I don't understand that. Hard drive space is so cheap, I don't know why they'd limit themselves so low.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #96
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It is a limitation of the motorola cable box, not verizon that limited the harddrive space. They have been working on it and have new motorola firmware coming out in the near future (currently in beta testing) that will allow larger drives to work in the box as well as the external drive connection.

I think most likely some point in spring that will be available.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Premiere TiVo on sellout.woot today for 49.99. I have two and love them, especially cause I don't have a Netflix device in every room.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #98
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I just checked Verizon's website - they still show a maximum of 20 hours HD. Certainly not anywhere close to enough space for my/our needs. They also tout having one central DVR and up to three different recorded shows can be watched simultaneously on three different TV's. Yet even more reason that a customer would need significantly more hard drive space.
I spoke to a FIOS dude yesterday who said in the next month or two, most FIOS DVR's will have a software update that allows you to connect an external hard drive for significantly larger capacity. I still have two Tivos, so not ready to switch... but this will certainly give me reason to consider their boxes in the future.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #99
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I spoke to a FIOS dude yesterday who said in the next month or two, most FIOS DVR's will have a software update that allows you to connect an external hard drive for significantly larger capacity. I still have two Tivos, so not ready to switch... but this will certainly give me reason to consider their boxes in the future.

Our most recent (TWC) DVRs have 500GB HDs for @70 hours of HD recording.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #100
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holyshitfuck!

New Premiere due out next week, featuring 300HD hours standard, and quad tuner (yes, record four programs at the same time, while possibly watching a fifth)

TiVo Premiere Elite Product Details - TiVo