Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #51
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I take it that you are neither in the military, nor married, then.

Nope. Also not religious.

Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #52
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

The noscript extension for firefox should prevent the ads from loading.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #53
digamma
Torchbearer

An interesting by-product of this for me is that "Games" are a filtered category on my company's WebSense program. When the ads come up, I get locked out of the forum for a few minutes until I can get it to load without the ad.

That said, I understand the reasoning for the ads and don't have a big problem with them.

OTOH, if the decision is made to venture out on our own, I'm happy to contribute.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #54
SnDvls
Pro Starter

what ads is everyone talking about? mabey because I only login direct to the message board I don't see them. Hey I'm not complaining, but I don't see any ads.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #55
Coder
College Prospect

I'm with SnDvls... no ads here.. got the main forum page bookmarked, using the yellow skin.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #56
JeeberD
General Manager

I've seen them using the yellow skin, so I think it's just the luck of the draw. However, it hasn't been so much of an annoyance that I feel a move is in order. If we do decide to move, though, count me in for a few bucks.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 11-23-2005 at 02:16 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #57
HostingManager
n00b

GameSpy Hosting Manager message

Hey Folks,

I wanted to drop in and add some notes from us regarding ads, and the recent changes.

First, I'd like to say that we are working through some ad-related issues which are causing problems for your site, and we are turning off the interruptive ads temporarily while we sort them out.

Second, we'll be working with the admins here to ensure ads aren't unnecessarily disruptive and to look into other possibilities on how we work together.

Regarding ads, our requirements are the "stitial" (the annoying interruptive) ads which are served on a frequency basis and should not interrupt post activity, and one ad unit per page, which in this site's case will more than likely be leaderboard ads. I recognize that these can be difficult to stomach, but they are what allow us to offer no-fee hosting.

The no fee hosting essentially has no limits, either for space, database size or bandwidth. If/when you are comparing commercial services please keep in mind that we never, ever will shut down because the site passes bandwidth limits.

Thanks for your patience as we complete this changeover.

-chuck

Hosting Manager
IGN Entertainment, Inc.
(GameSpy, IGN and Brain Network Hosting)
HostingManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #58
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

So far, they are hit and miss enough that they aren't that big a deal. If they end up being every 2-4 clicks, then I'm packing.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #59
HostingManager
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
So far, they are hit and miss enough that they aren't that big a deal. If they end up being every 2-4 clicks, then I'm packing.

To expand on that, we have a frequency cap which will not allow anything remotely that often, if those ads appear at that rate there is actually something wrong.

-chuck
HostingManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #60
Silver Owl
High School JV

Is anyone that is using Kerio Personal Firewall seeing any ads?

I haven't seen any ads at all.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #61
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostingManager
Hey Folks,

I wanted to drop in and add some notes from us regarding ads, and the recent changes.

First, I'd like to say that we are working through some ad-related issues which are causing problems for your site, and we are turning off the interruptive ads temporarily while we sort them out.

Second, we'll be working with the admins here to ensure ads aren't unnecessarily disruptive and to look into other possibilities on how we work together.

Regarding ads, our requirements are the "stitial" (the annoying interruptive) ads which are served on a frequency basis and should not interrupt post activity, and one ad unit per page, which in this site's case will more than likely be leaderboard ads. I recognize that these can be difficult to stomach, but they are what allow us to offer no-fee hosting.

The no fee hosting essentially has no limits, either for space, database size or bandwidth. If/when you are comparing commercial services please keep in mind that we never, ever will shut down because the site passes bandwidth limits.

-chuck

Hosting Manager
IGN Entertainment, Inc.
I'm glad to see you so open regarding this issue. Hopefully somehing can be worked out regarding ads.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #62
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Three proposals...
1. Jim fronts the cost of a private server and we allow him to edit/ban the users that always seem to annoy him.
2. Move to a private server and get rid of the hattrick section.
3. Let the people who play wearwolf games front the cost of a new server.

On a serious note... this is a cool site, I think I have said a few times that I get a lot of my news from here. But if you guys ever think the people with a lot of posts play an elitest card sometimes try a board where people contribute money. They will not say anything for a few months, but then bannings, topics, etc. will eventually degrade into "Well put up $20 since you don't contribue anything anyways". Tigerboard is a good example of a good board going to complete shit.

Last edited by panerd : 11-23-2005 at 02:49 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #63
Anthony
Banned

i also agree that Jim should look into getting his own official board, and i'd deal with bannings and boxings a lot better. if we start paying for this forum then it essentially becomes "our board" (and not SkyDog's board), and there is a lot from the board leadership that i wouldn't tolerate if i became a "paying customer". leave things as they are. i feel once people start contributing to the maintainence of this place they should have some input as to how certain things are handled. too many cooks stirring the pot is a bad thing, so i don't want to go down that road. nothing in life is for free, if i pay for this site by having to deal with some ads every now and then so be it. things change once money is involved.

Last edited by Anthony : 11-23-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #64
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Why would Jim need to get a board? If he really wanted one, I'm sure he'd have one on his site.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #65
[GSI]lufiaguy
n00b

By the way, the interstitial ads were causing the errors people were seeing on these forums. We've disabled it until the problem is found and have added the leaderboard instead.
[GSI]lufiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is the leaderboard?

This huge ass banner add.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nice Timestamping.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #68
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GSI]lufiaguy
By the way, the interstitial ads were causing the errors people were seeing on these forums. We've disabled it until the problem is found and have added the leaderboard instead.
What is the leaderboard?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #69
Ben E Lou

Reckon I haven't seen it yet...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #70
[GSI]lufiaguy
n00b

A leaderboard is a slightly larger banner ad. I only added it to the default template.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Reckon I haven't seen it yet...

Check out default setting.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #72
[GSI]lufiaguy
n00b

The timestamp issue was reported a little while ago - we're just waiting for the IT people to fix it.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #73
chinaski
College Prospect

Firefox + AdBlock plugin = more than good

Last edited by chinaski : 11-23-2005 at 03:12 PM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #74
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
Firefox + AdBlock plugin = more than good

firefox + adblock + a whole bunch of plugins that disable flash and java AND allow you to remove any objects on webpage=never seeing any ads
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #75
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GSI]lufiaguy
The timestamp issue was reported a little while ago - we're just waiting for the IT people to fix it.

I just went and click the ad for you a couple times. Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #76
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*laughs* I am not completely heartless, I feel sorry for the Gamespy folks who come in, assure us that showing us these ads are important (as long as they aren't TOO frequent, a couple a day ain't so bad)..

And everyone starts talking about how FF can completely block them.. WHILE they're here..
Old 11-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #77
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
*laughs* I am not completely heartless, I feel sorry for the Gamespy folks who come in, assure us that showing us these ads are important (as long as they aren't TOO frequent, a couple a day ain't so bad)..

And everyone starts talking about how FF can completely block them.. WHILE they're here..

I honestly don't think it is that big a deal to them because FF is still such a small minority of users. If/when more users are using it, expect AD people to take time to try to figure out ways to combat it.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #78
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

FF is 10% and growing of the GENERAL population.. amongst those who are clued in (admittedly, not a great percentage on some of the OTHER planet sites ), that percentage is much much higher.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #79
[GSI]lufiaguy
n00b

Quote:
I just went and click the ad for you a couple times. Enjoy!
You're too kind!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #80
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Three proposals...
1. Jim fronts the cost of a private server and we allow him to edit/ban the users that always seem to annoy him.
2. Move to a private server and get rid of the hattrick section.
3. Let the people who play wearwolf games front the cost of a new server.

I like this site the way it is - and that includes not being able to ban people who annoy me. Like this Lufia guy - I think he's out to get me.

Kidding aside, I just don't see the need of having my own special forum. Remember, I respond to rumors only to quell them. If my response seems overly strong, it's only because I've been burned in the past by not addressing specific rumors. It's not personal.

I appreciate that GameSpy hosts this for us. I'm sure they're aware of the balance between an ad presence that drives people away and not generating enough ad revenue due to a lack of ads. It's worked very well for all of us so far.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #81
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

The only problem I think there is with Solecismic not having an official forum is half-ass bug reporting. Too many times have I seen bugs reported in miscellaneous places, but they aren't reported to support (and hence, they don't get fixed).

I guess it's more conveniant for guys to post reports in a tech forum instead of e-mailing them. Either that or maybe not everyone knows where to send bug reports. I don't know.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:55 PM   #82
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
The only problem I think there is with Solecismic not having an official forum is half-ass bug reporting. Too many times have I seen bugs reported in miscellaneous places, but they aren't reported to support (and hence, they don't get fixed).

I guess it's more conveniant for guys to post reports in a tech forum instead of e-mailing them. Either that or maybe not everyone knows where to send bug reports. I don't know.

That's true. This is too big a forum to monitor everything - especially right after a release. Originally, that was the sole "job" of the "liaison," but it just wasn't a practical approach.

Some people are very good about reporting problems through email, which I appreciate. I'm still getting about one report a week. Even if it's something very minor, I still hold on to every report - even ones from years past - and go through the entire queue during the development cycle.

I did have a forum on my site briefly after the TCY release. I just didn't have the web space, and had to constantly monitor it to eliminate any extraneous discussion because of that. Of course, that kinda defeated the purpose of having a forum - it wasn't much fun to visit.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #83
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Which reminds me.. I've got a bug report to send.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #84
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
FF is 10% and growing of the GENERAL population.. amongst those who are clued in (admittedly, not a great percentage on some of the OTHER planet sites), that percentage is much much higher.
Current Internet average fis 8.3% according to my numbers. I just made the switch myself on my home system. But the percentage of users who are also using all the ad-blocking features is much smaller.

Yes, that number is growing. And once that growth reaches a tipping point there will be new ad technoligies and techniques developed, and people will complain about how intrusive they are, and work on ways around them. And the cycle will continue, same as it has for years.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #85
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Current Internet average fis 8.3% according to my numbers. I just made the switch myself on my home system. But the percentage of users who are also using all the ad-blocking features is much smaller.

Yes, that number is growing. And once that growth reaches a tipping point there will be new ad technoligies and techniques developed, and people will complain about how intrusive they are, and work on ways around them. And the cycle will continue, same as it has for years.

In other words, stop selling it so hard or your going to lose the benefits you enjoy by being the small minority.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #86
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
That's true. This is too big a forum to monitor everything - especially right after a release. Originally, that was the sole "job" of the "liaison," but it just wasn't a practical approach.

Freakin' lazy-ass Primelord...

Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM   #87
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

What ads?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #88
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
What ads?

They are down for now because of problems. They'll be back.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #89
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
They are down for now because of problems. They'll be back.

Oh ok... hopefully Firefox can take care of them...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #90
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I quite appreciate GameSpy and I doubt that I'd even move to another board since it all seems sour grapes to me.

-Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostingManager
Hey Folks,

-chuck

Hosting Manager
IGN Entertainment, Inc.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #91
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
As I posted in a previous post, this attitude is silly in my book.

As they stated, we use up 1.3+GB... we use a ton of bandwidth and it's FREE. Decide to go to a pay service, fine. But as long as it is free I don't think we have any right to complain about these ads.
1.3 Gig is nothing!

My host provides 60 gigs of space and 1.3 TERABYTES of traffic a month now. It's the same host that I use as well as SmartGuysSports.com.

At 15.95 a month prepaid for 2 years I think it would be a smart option to look into moving to them or a host that provides crazy bandwidth like that.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #92
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If we ever got a new home could we maybe have Avatars?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #93
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Wow, I missed this thread the first time. Therefor, it's good to know that the annoying inters... the click-to-skip-ads are required. Even though I seem to get them every 20 clicks, if they are required, I can live with it. But to be honest, the banners at the top are better for advertising to me. I'm pretty aware of Civ IV being out there now, whilst I can't remember a single inters... click-to-skip-ad at all.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #94
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
1.3 Gig is nothing!

My host provides 60 gigs of space and 1.3 TERABYTES of traffic a month now. It's the same host that I use as well as SmartGuysSports.com.

At 15.95 a month prepaid for 2 years I think it would be a smart option to look into moving to them or a host that provides crazy bandwidth like that.

A lot of the inexpensive hosting deals are great for small sites, but they choke and die when hit with the kind of traffic this forum produces.

Not saying your host is like that, but realistically speaking, $16 is a pittance in comparison to the bandwidth it can provide. This means that they limit the pipe available for each site and we would most likely be very disappointed in the performance.

Again, not saying that your host is like that, but these virtual host sites are inexpensive for a reason.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #95
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
1.3 Gig is nothing!

That's quite possibly the most insane case of overselling I've ever seen.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474952

Fwiw...if FOFC is -- now or ever -- seriously looking at moving somewhere, these are the types of outfits they should run as far away from as possible. All these hosts that throw huge numbers at you are, to be blunt, full of shit. This site needs semi-dedicated or dedicated hosting. If you want to take your chances with a place like Dreamhost or whatever, feel free, but don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #96
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

Not likely

Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #97
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Fwiw...if FOFC is -- now or ever -- seriously looking at moving somewhere, these are the types of outfits they should run as far away from as possible. All these hosts that throw huge numbers at you are, to be blunt, full of shit. This site needs semi-dedicated or dedicated hosting. If you want to take your chances with a place like Dreamhost or whatever, feel free, but don't say I didn't warn you.
Ryan has communicated virtually the same thing to me. There's zero chance that I'm going against both of your advice on this matter.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #98
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
That's quite possibly the most insane case of overselling I've ever seen.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474952

Dreamhost provides service to a number of high traffic websites. In fact one of mine is a high traffic site. Although I do feel FOFC would probable need dedicated hosting, Dreamhost isn't a company that's full of shit. But it's all a matter of opinion. I've used many hosts throughout the years, from running servers myself to now being fully content with Dreamhost.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #99
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Dreamhost provides service to a number of high traffic websites. In fact one of mine is a high traffic site. Although I do feel FOFC would probable need dedicated hosting, Dreamhost isn't a company that's full of shit. But it's all a matter of opinion. I've used many hosts throughout the years, from running servers myself to now being fully content with Dreamhost.

They're *all* full of shit. It's nothing against Dreamhost....I could rave for hours about the host I'm currently using, but they're no different. My account gives me 12 GB of space and 60 GB bandwidth a month, but while I'm only using ~4 GB at the moment, I got "Disk Full" errors when trying to FTP last week. They had to move several accounts off my server to free up space. Like I said, they ALL do it...it's just a matter of how blatant their exaggeration is to their customers.

Bandwidth is the single most expensive commodity for hosting companies. DH may advertise 1.3 TB of bandwidth a month, but I'd bet a year's salary that if they actually had to *serve* that much bandwidth to more than a handful of individual customers, they would go bankrupt, assuming their NOC didn't blow up first. Of course, they're never in danger of having a customer hit that mark because they limit the amount of CPU time you're allowed to use.

Web hosts are like used car salesmen. You might be perfectly happy with the car you drive off the lot, but it doesn't mean you don't feel dirty while you're buying it.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #100
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Ugh, no. I don't want this board to look ugly and tacky like every other board out there.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote