Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #51
spleen1015
Coordinator

Got it. Enchantments are 1 thing I don't know much about.

I haven't looked at the current map yet, but I'll be happy with any map. I can find a suitable spot to build on any map. I just have to find the right spot.

Are we still running with Minecrack?

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #52
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
No creative mode! It is only fun for me if I've built/mined/crafted everything legit.

It's an enchantment for an axe. The fortune enchantment can add to the number of diamonds/coal/redstone etc that comes from mining ores that drop items as opposed to an ore like iron which just gives you the iron ore block.

I trust you mean pick-axe and not an axe.

just saying...

oh, the flu killed me for thursday-sunday and monday was catch up at work day so there's that...
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #53
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
I trust you mean pick-axe and not an axe.

just saying...

oh, the flu killed me for thursday-sunday and monday was catch up at work day so there's that...

I did mean pick axe but the enchantment can also be on the axe and the shovel too.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #54
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Got it. Enchantments are 1 thing I don't know much about.

I haven't looked at the current map yet, but I'll be happy with any map. I can find a suitable spot to build on any map. I just have to find the right spot.

Are we still running with Minecrack?

Ok, CoffeeWarlord and I will scout the maps until we are happy and then all is good to go.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #55
spleen1015
Coordinator

cool. Just let me know when things are final.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #56
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

isn't this shit free yet?

CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #57
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

And if not what all is needed?
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #58
finketr
College Prospect

BG,

how are you and CW communicating? one goes +x the other -x?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #59
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We're just flying around the map in creative mode looking at things and saying "this is nice", or "this blows, kill it with fire".
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #60
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
And if not what all is needed?

A copy of Minecraft. The mod is free.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #61
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
We're just flying around the map in creative mode looking at things and saying "this is nice", or "this blows, kill it with fire".

ahh.. kill it with fire...

i ahve had thought before.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #62
Bonegavel

It is settled... server will be up-and-running in a few mins. you won't be able to manipulate blocks in a 100 square radius around spawn but other than that... enjoy.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #63
Bonegavel

A very explosive first day. CoffeeWarlord blew up no less than 4 times as we spent a few nights in the spawn village gathering resources.

A bit later I was molested and killed several times by horde of skeletons as I mined beneath the spawn village and in trying to cap off a lava flow I wound up swimming in it.

Spleen1015 hung around the spawn for a bit before heading off east.

I plan on building up the spawn village so we have a place to meet and exchange items and anyone coming in new can stock up before heading out.

If you aren't familiar with REI's minimap I suggest learning how to create way points. They may be the best thing ever created especially for those of us that can't navigate worth a damn.

There is a great cave system beneath the village and I'm collecting the goodies and placing them in a double chest in one of the buildings.

Overall I think the server is pretty stable.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #64
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The village has, unless creepers blew them up again, a crafting table and a few ovens, by the by.

Assuming I can actually NOT blow up this time, I'll spend another game day or two supplying more lumber to the stocks, then it's off to claim my territory!

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-30-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #65
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
The village has, unless creepers blew them up again, a crafting table and a few ovens, by the by.

Assuming I can actually NOT blow up this time, I'll spend another game day or two supplying more lumber to the stocks, then it's off to claim my territory!

I half-assedly repaired the creeper damage to the building inhabited. I'd really like to keep as many villagers alive as possible for trades later but there are countless others out there.

I'm going to exploit the caves below for a bit and then head North. There is a desert up there and I need the glass!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #66
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'll be joining you up there after I raid the supply dump.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #67
Bonegavel

Finally made my way North. I've begun base building and started the smelting of copper and tin. Apatite ore has changed and it is now SUPER plentiful but there were some changes that made apatite the only way to make fertilizer so the increase was justified.

Also gathered up some cows so I can start harvesting leather for books so I can make bookshelves so I can start enchanting level 30 equipment.

I'll be back to spawn at some point especially since I started breeding bees in the village. I want to bring some back with me.

My major goals right now:
  • make enchanting table so I don't waste the levels i'm gaining
  • make 15 bookshelves for the above table
  • make a jet pack (love the jet pack)
As for my power I'm going to go the route of the forestry mod and use the fermenter and biogas engine combination. I was running those in my other world and they work very well for what I want and saplings are easy to come by.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 01-31-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #68
finketr
College Prospect

I'm going to head South..

Any chance the Stargate mod is in this iteration?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #69
Bonegavel

I don't believe it has the stargate mod.

I'm having terrible lag tonight and the game is having issues enough that I'm trying to restore last night's backup.. Ugh.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #70
Bonegavel

The lag was so awful I thought I f'ed the map up so I restore the server from a few hours prior and everything seems fine now... If I erased anything major you built ... let me know and I will gladly bequeath said item to you in exchange for my apologies.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #71
Bobble
College Prospect

Got room for one more? xBobble is my ID.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #72
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Got room for one more? xBobble is my ID.

You are added and a PM was sent with the server info. Welcome aboard. Feel free to take from the spawn village resources.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #73
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm going to head South..

Any chance the Stargate mod is in this iteration?

i'm going off in the +x and +z (southeast, i think) direction across the ocean.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #74
Bonegavel

I should have a bunch of time this weekend to devote to FTB. I want to have a 15 bookshelf enchantment station (breeding my cows and growing some cane!) done tonight and I'd like to get through the first level of Thaumcraft stuff.

I was thinking about using FRAPS and posting progress on youtube. Those are fun to do.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #75
finketr
College Prospect

sorry for a seeming stupid question but just had a zombie beat down my wooden door (i guess i've only played not-hard minecraft), are glass blocks and glass panes still opaque to monsters? Can i put windows all around the home so I can see out but creepers won't blow up, etc?

i know they are flimsy if a creeper does blow up, but just curious.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #76
Bonegavel

Quote:
sorry for a seeming stupid question but just had a zombie beat down my wooden door (i guess i've only played not-hard minecraft), are glass blocks and glass panes still opaque to monsters? Can i put windows all around the home so I can see out but creepers won't blow up, etc?

i know they are flimsy if a creeper does blow up, but just curious.

Mobs will only see you and shoot/blow up if there is an air block between you and them. I think they will track you through the glass but creepers won't explode.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #77
Bobble
College Prospect

How far away are we supposed to set up shop? I ran off in whatever direction the creepers chased me (NW, as it turns out) but I didn't go more than a couple of hundred blocks before I started settling in. Should I move on farther out?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #78
yeah826
High School JV

I says I dont have FML installed
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #79
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah826 View Post
I says I dont have FML installed

FTB you mean? I had a problem initially when I hadn't picked the right modpack on the left. I just had left it on the top one.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #80
Bonegavel

Quote:
How far away are we supposed to set up shop? I ran off in whatever direction the creepers chased me (NW, as it turns out) but I didn't go more than a couple of hundred blocks before I started settling in. Should I move on farther out?

I'm at -2000 something. I say setup any place you want but not too close to spawn.

And anyone that wants to build a nether portal, feel free. I was concerned that we would be generating chunks without the new quartz that will be in the next vanilla update but we can always travel further in the nether to get new chunks loaded.

Got my jet pack!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #81
Bonegavel

In case you see this first CW, i'm rebooting the minecraft server... it is foobar

Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #82
Bobble
College Prospect

CW, I think you and I are treading the same ground. Probably not the best situation for either of us.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #83
Bonegavel

I made a lot of progress this weekend. Got through Thaumcraft Tier 1. Got my 15 bookshelf enchantment setup. I have 3 biogas engines humming along and 1 fermenter to supply biogas. I have a logger running and I built a 21x21 area for it which i will enclose in glass to keep everything within reach of the logger. I have my jet pack. Made a pulverizer and industrial smelter and with that setup you get 2 ingots from every ore! (you just need 1 block of sand per ore) This morning I built an industrial centrifuge which gets you 24 pieces of rubber from 8 resin and you need that for wiring. I have a compressor and a roller. A carpenter and a squeezer. So much still to accomplish! Can't wait to get into bees.

The server was experiencing some issues and I put in a ticket to which they replied that they were under attack or something like that. Sometimes my connection is wonderful and other times my pings are dropping like flies. Overall, I'm enjoying this and I'm glad you guys could join in .

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #84
Bonegavel

Keep in mind, some Industrial Craft machines require you to use a wrench to pick them up. If you use a pick, it break the machine and turns it into useless parts.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #85
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I made a lot of progress this weekend. Got through Thaumcraft Tier 1. Got my 15 bookshelf enchantment setup. I have 3 biogas engines humming along and 1 fermenter to supply biogas. I have a logger running and I built a 21x21 area for it which i will enclose in glass to keep everything within reach of the logger. I have my jet pack. Made a pulverizer and industrial smelter and with that setup you get 2 ingots from every ore! (you just need 1 block of sand per ore) This morning I built an industrial centrifuge which gets you 24 pieces of rubber from 8 resin and you need that for wiring. I have a compressor and a roller. A carpenter and a squeezer. So much still to accomplish! Can't wait to get into bees.

The server was experiencing some issues and I put in a ticket to which they replied that they were under attack or something like that. Sometimes my connection is wonderful and other times my pings are dropping like flies. Overall, I'm enjoying this and I'm glad you guys could join in .

I'm really enjoying the Thaumcraft aspect (get it?) of the modpack we're using. It give you a good reason to gather and create a lot of the items that you normally wouldn't care about.

I've got to start getting into the Industrialcraft stuff to up my efficiency. There's too much going on to manually gather everything.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #86
spleen1015
Coordinator

I need to check out what I can do with Thaumcraft.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #87
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

I'm out in +500/+2500 area...

Also, there's an oil patch around +500/+500 in the desert.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #88
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm out in +500/+2500 area...

Also, there's an oil patch around +500/+500 in the desert.

I probably didn't go far enough since I see CoffeeWarlord (I think) has plopped down in the same area. It's a little unfortunate that there are seas to the N and E of the spawn point. That kind of funneled some of us in the same direction.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #89
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
I probably didn't go far enough since I see CoffeeWarlord (I think) has plopped down in the same area. It's a little unfortunate that there are seas to the N and E of the spawn point. That kind of funneled some of us in the same direction.

that's funny. I took a boat and went off in that direction because it's a bit faster than running/walking in whatever direction. Though I might be South and East now I think about it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #90
Bonegavel

Quote:

I think there is land beyond the sea to which you are referring. I traveled far in each direction to test this seed and land is everywhere (my main reason for picking this one) ... a lot of seeds I've used in the past have decent clumps of land and then endless seas.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #91
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
I think there is land beyond the sea to which you are referring. I traveled far in each direction to test this seed and land is everywhere (my main reason for picking this one) ... a lot of seeds I've used in the past have decent clumps of land and then endless seas.

I've played in one of those worlds.. Luckily they had the flying feather mod installed as I ended up out in -20k x -20k to find a large enough slice of land to do anything.

So, here's a couple of block questions and a generic question:
1. is there a cheat-sheet somewhere to all the crafting recipes for FTB?
2. What is the block in water that looks like a solid block of water? You can stand on it and put a torch without it melting.
3. I've found a 4-high block of what looks like obsidian above ground. What the hell is it?
4. Do volcanoes erupt and/or grow? Are they just a source of basaltic cobblestone (black cobblestone) for decoration?
5. Is there a cheat sheet for all the additional blocks? In particular, what's the block that looks like stone with the orange/lava colored specks in it?

I've found oil in Desert, the Ocean and beach blocks (sand with coal?). Can't wait to get the materials to extract/use it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #92
spleen1015
Coordinator

Here are some answers I know.

1. When you are on the 'E' screen, you can mouse over the objects on the right and hit the 'R' key and it will show you how to craft the object. There is another key that you can use to see what objects can be created with the one you have your mouse on. I don't remember the key for that....
2. It was ice.
3. I don't know what it is. I want to know too.
4. I don't think they erupt. I have never seen it.
5. Mine and see what it is when you get it in your inventory. Every block is shown in that list of objects on the right in the 'E' screen.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #93
finketr
College Prospect

1. I knew I acceidentally hit something once that popped up the recipe.
2. That's a solid block?
5. Unfortunately, for #5 when I use the pick-axe to extract it I get nothing. Not even a cobblestone block.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #94
spleen1015
Coordinator

Hey BG, is there a tutorial on YouTube for the Biogas setup you have?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #95
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

You're right. I like the world. There's plenty to see. Its just me being lazy and easily distracted.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #96
Bobble
College Prospect

And the creeper says, "BOOM!"

So I was trying to get a pair of breeding cows. I need the leather (I'm into that). Earlier on, I coaxed one from about 150 blocks to the South. It was a bit of a chore but the only issue was that deal where the game has trouble drawing a band of blocks and if you (or your cow) step off the edge of the undrawn world, it's very not good. Anyway, got him/her home and locked up and eventually I needed a mate -- Valentine's Day is coming up. Not too far to the West I found a good sized herd. I start coaxing some back. Actually, I get about 5 or 6 at the start. A few lose interest and I somehow pick up about 4 sheep. After getting stuck 6 or 8 times and losing interest in me a couple more times, I'm down to one cow left but I get him about 15 blocks from my front door. You guessed it, creeper time. He detonates himself like it's the Tet Offensive and he's a VC with TNT strapped to his chest running into the command bunker. One sheep and my precious cow are gone.

Well, Minecraft is all about diligence so I pass the night and go back for the next prettiest cow I can find. I coax along a pack of cows, which finally whittled down to one cow and several sheep. I'm about 30 blocks from "The Cow Creeper Crater" as it's called. Time to start keeping a keen eye out. All clear where we're headed. But (as I'm sure you guessed), a creeper comes charging in from behind us. He wasn't even that close to me but creepers must hate cows. Boom! and I'm covered in creeper, cow, and sheep parts.

Creepers gotta creep, I guess.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #97
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Hey BG, is there a tutorial on YouTube for the Biogas setup you have?

I'll make one for you.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #98
Bonegavel

Quote:
1. I knew I acceidentally hit something once that popped up the recipe.
2. That's a solid block?
5. Unfortunately, for #5 when I use the pick-axe to extract it I get nothing. Not even a cobblestone block.

1. 'U' will show you what can be made from the item in question.
5. Sometimes you have to use a certain level pick to mine a block. If a stone pick doesn't do the trick try an iron pick. I think obsidian is the only block that requires a diamond pick.

Next time you see this water/not-water block take a screen cap and post it. I'm curious now.

The picture with the ore with 3 orange dots is amber. It is from Thaumcraft and it currently doesn't have much use beyond adding aspects to the cauldron.

The Obsidian totem poles... i have no idea myself though I'm guessing Thaumcraft. I am on the wiki all the time. Not everything is documented but most is.

Feed The Beast Wiki

There are a few recipes in the game that do not show (off the top of my head an example is RE-Battery) that you have to lookup on the wiki. I don't know if it's a bug or just an oversight but they aren't all in there.

I have a pretty decent production going so far but I had a bit of a head-start on you guys and I've watched a bunch of videos to help me out. My favorite thing right now is my logger setup. I chiseled out a 21 x 21 square in the side of my base mountain and walled up to about 14 blocks high and have capped it off with glass. Totally enclosed and lit up to be mob spawn proof. I plant a ton of saplings and walk away and come back to chests full of wood and saplings and apples.

I lost 2 jetpacks in the nether last night! I was flying around looking for a Nether Fortress and a FireBat attacked me. I wasn't too concerned until I heard a BOOM and then I was dead. WTF?! I looked it up and they can explode like creepers! Sigh. I made another jetpack, went back in and was blown up again and died! Hehe, first time shame on you. Second time shame on me. I am avoiding the firebats now. I went looking for my gear and never found a thing.

For anyone willing to make the journey, I will give you a tour of my base. I'm in the process of hollowing out a mountain that will be level upon level of crops.

I totally recommend:
  • make a logger for wood and saplings (saplings for biogas)
  • make a pulverizer and smelter to double the ingots you get with ore (and you can make sand with the pulverizer using cobblestone)
  • make a fermenter and biogas engines.
One thing I really like about the mods is that they make most ores very valuable. I normally have more iron and gold in vanilla than I'll ever use and right now I'm low on both items! I'm having a blast even though my connection to the server is occasionally spotty. I put in another ticket for that.

Everyone having fun? Anyone want a hand? I'll gladly stop by anyone's place and help out. I have another account that I was planning to leave around spawn to fix it up and I will gladly have him travel the world to help. that account is GoMatt69. If you see that player logged in, it's me.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #99
spleen1015
Coordinator

I ventured over to your base over the weekend, BG. I've built my base on the NW coast about 1000 blocks from you. So, I just hopped in a boat, crossed the ocean and it was a small trek across the land.

I'm playing Voltz(another Minecraft mod) with RL friends as well, so I am splitting my time between the 2.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #100
Bobble
College Prospect

What I'd like is an anti-creeper missile. Maybe a mod where you can train your dog to charge a creeper and absorb the explosion. "Get him boy! Go get him!"

As it now, I see a creeper and I shake my fist in the air, angrily shouting, "CREEPER!" (in a mixture of Shatner's "Khan!" and The Skipper's "Gilligan!").