Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Obviously, my comments only apply to the 360 version. I have no idea how good other versions are. I'm regretting staying up so late as an emergency has prevented me from leaving the office today early as planned. At least I should be able to go in 5 minutes or so if things wrap up as expected...

I'm tired as heck yet I find myself looking forward to playing more College Hoops when I get home instead of taking a nap

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #52
rexallllsc
Banned

So is it like NBA 2k7 just with college guys? If so, easy buy. If it's like the last version...not so much
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not exactly Rexalllsc, but it is a definite buy in my opinion. Zones are more prominent and better implemented. Spacing is better than NBA 2k7. So far, I think the gameplay is better than NBA 2k7.

Also, I just discovered that NBA 2k7's isomotion works in this game as well, so you don't have to use the "B" button to do crossovers.

Just for fun, I compared stats from 2 games where I wrote them down (a very small sample, I know) to real NCAA averages for all teams:

Each team in the game (with gamespeed and player speed at 40 and fouls at 80 but no other sliders) is:

Averaging 7 shots more per game than the average.

Shooting 3% higher than average.

Shooting .43 more 3 pointers.

Shooting -2% below the 3 point average.

Scoring 8.24 points above average.

Averaging 5.8 less fouls (despite turning all fouls up to 80 so far.)

Averaging 0.8 rebounds more than the average.

Averaging 6.4 assists more per game.

Averaging 2.34 less blocks per game.

Averaging 3.4 more steals per game.

Averaging 1.2 more turnovers per game.

Overall, stats are pretty good (at least to me) out of the box.

Also, the recruiting has been tuned up. Many less 5 star guys. Only 30 or so in my first season. Also, scouting is much more a part of recruiting and gives a lot more info about the guys. It also gives a slight boost to the guy's interest in your school which is nice (I couldn't wait for real rosters to start my legacy.)

I'm glad to say that recruit size seems to be tuned up too. Very few 7 footers. In fact, only one of the 5 star recruits is over 6'10. He is 6'11 256. There are a few 6'10 guys who are thin. Most of the 5 star recruits are guards that are 6'0 to 6'5.

There is one 7 footer 4 star guy who is 7'0" 231 from NY. Most of the 4 star recruits are smaller guys. A very few 6'10 guys and above.

One 3 star C that is 7'0 263 but has very poor skills.

There is one other 3 star C that is 7'0 247 but also poorly developed.

Actually, it's hard to count since there are a lot of 3 star guys, but very few 7 footers out of hundreds I just skimmed.

There is 1 7'0 239 pound 1 star guy from Los Angeles, but he has D's in every category without scouting him.

Most of the 1 star players are smaller guys. 7 footers and big men definitely seem less abundant than past years particularly skilled big men, which I think is good. Guess I'll see how that progresses in future years.

Also, in the game I just played, it was awesome to see the PG whip some quick passes that were on the money but the very poorly rated C just couldn't handle and they bounced off his hands!

Speaking of ratings, there is more variety. My Nicholls State team has mostly guys in the 50's and both C's are both 50. A wider range of ratings between the worst players and top tier players.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-22-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #54
rexallllsc
Banned

awesome! thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #55
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The only downside is that the graphics aren't up to par with NBA 2k7, but that doesn't bother me. I just watched an awesome pre-season show. The addition of weekly shows seems like it is going to add immersion and show what is happening around the league.

Forgot to mention that even though it was just our midnight madness intrasquad game, the team's unity was going way down when I was shooting like crazy with my best player. It is going to negate the strategy of just relying on one "good" player to have lesser teams beat a great team. Our defense really started to suffer when the team unity went to 0. Once I started passing with the "star" player (he is only 70 overall, but that is my best player) and setting up other guys, the unity rebounded.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

UGH! I just had my first freeze-up on a Non-Madden 360 game. Was going to the daily view to see what an icon meant and my game has apparently froze. I didn't save it after doing the first week of recruiting either (not that it took much time because you can only email guys once a week now.)
Old 11-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #57
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
UGH! I just had my first freeze-up on a Non-Madden 360 game. Was going to the daily view to see what an icon meant and my game has apparently froze. I didn't save it after doing the first week of recruiting either (not that it took much time because you can only email guys once a week now.)

2k games freeze up like crazy for me.

I think it has something to do with the hard drive.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #58
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc View Post
2k games freeze up like crazy for me.

I think it has something to do with the hard drive.

First 2k game that has ever froze on my 360. Although, some froze on my PS2 and Xbox back in the day.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, I discovered that recruits are freshly generated each time since a really good recruit from the town where Nicholls State is, is not in my legacy since the re-start.

I'm getting crushed by Mississippi State (which I should.) People on OS are saying this game is easier than in 06, but I just don't see that. I could use one or two good players in that version and keep close to good teams for a while. This game, they are shutting down my best player much more by double teaming him and more effective zones. I'm down 59-29 at the half. Really fun game, though. I'll probably play LSU and other big powerhouses that I have no shot at with the Hoopscast and see how that is soon.

Oh yeah, sim to end is still in the game if you don't feel like finishing those blow outs.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-22-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #60
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I played a little bit this afternoon, UNO vs. LSU. I was getting beaten badly when I decided to stop. I had a lot of fun with the game, and I'm just trying to decide whether to wait on named rosters or just name the UNO players myself and go from there. My legacy will be starting as soon as I get some time with the 360, though, in any case.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #61
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Pumpy,

My Nicholls State team is fighting fiercly with UNO over a recruit that no one else wants
Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #62
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Do any of us actually ever finish a season in Legacy mode? I think the best I've ever done is get to season #3 in NCAA Football (I forget what year it was).

Yet, legacy or dynasty mode is the most important thing to me. I'm an enigma.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #63
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Pumpy,

My Nicholls State team is fighting fiercly with UNO over a recruit that no one else wants
Who would dare want to go to Thibodeaux? UNO's getting him. Sorry.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #64
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You are probably right since he is from New Orleans and his first priority is to remain close to home.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-22-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #65
MJ4H
Coordinator

I still have a dynasty going in NCAA 2005. Im in year 2010.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:25 AM   #66
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Do any of us actually ever finish a season in Legacy mode? I think the best I've ever done is get to season #3 in NCAA Football (I forget what year it was).

Yet, legacy or dynasty mode is the most important thing to me. I'm an enigma.

I got into 2010 with Portland State on last years version, and I still play a few games every now and then. The level of immersion was unbelievable although there were a few issues that needed to be fixed.

Eaglefan's post regarding recruiting is encouraging - by 2007 or 2008 I was able to get two 5 star players out of LA and playing in a minor conference. If the fact that there are less 7 footers means that the top 50 scorers in the country aren't all centers by 2008 then I will probably play this years version even more than last years. Unity sounds like it has been done well and is a nice addition also - it was too easy last year to go to a dominant post player or shooting guard and get 30 points when you were losing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:32 AM   #67
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm just trying to decide whether to wait on named rosters or just name the UNO players myself and go from there.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just hate playing exhibition games because they "don't mean anything" (which is pretty funny since it's a video game). So, I will likely start a real legacy once the rosters come out, but for now I just named the OU guys and fired up an open dynasty with the Sooners. I'm not very good at this game.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just for the sake of updating (since I asked a question earlier in the thread), bought the Xbox version yesterday at BestBuy for $19.99.

No reviews yet from my 8 y/o gamer though
Old 11-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #69
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
$19.99.

A+
Old 11-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #70
Recoil
High School Varsity

I'd like to get this, but with the missing features for the Xbox version, I don't think I will.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:35 PM   #71
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The named rosters should be up on OperationSports very, very shortly (within an hour or so, I guess). I think it's great that the community over there took the time to simply name the players and not fool around with editing ratings or jersey numbers or anything. It's those other edits that can take up a lot of time, because everyone has their own ideas about what the ratings should be, and the jersey numbers can be a pain, too. The names are most important, though, and they're starting with just those.

I'm excited. I have my Datel transfer kit connected to my computer and ready to go. I'm hammering the F5 button at OS (the thread for the 360 rosters is here: hxxp://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=190485), and as soon as the rosters are done, I'm putting them on my memory card and shoving my way to the Xbox 360 to get started.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #72
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Since the rosters are going to be out so early, I might restart. I didn't expect them to be done this quickly. My first dynasty died due to a freeze. 2nd one will have been my practice
Old 11-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think they are done, supposedly coaches are in there too.

EF, could you please PM me with what I need to get to make named rosters happen. I'll get what's needed after Christmas.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #74
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I think they are done, supposedly coaches are in there too.

EF, could you please PM me with what I need to get to make named rosters happen. I'll get what's needed after Christmas.

Sure, once I test them out tomorrow and make sure the method works, I will PM you with the details.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:36 PM   #75
sooner333
College Starter

I'm just upset that my Datel won't work on my computer for some reason. In fact, it didn't work on the second one I tried either because I had it connected during the install or something.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure, once I test them out tomorrow and make sure the method works, I will PM you with the details.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #77
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FYI, they released a new file today that has a few errors fixed. It looks very good and I'm starting my legacy now.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #78
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Simmed through my first few pre-season games that were basically unwinnable only playing one of them. Got beat badly in the game I played, but saw one HUGE upset while pre-simming as my Nicholls State team beat LSU 64-62 behind hot outside shooting.

The Weekly College Hoops Show is really great. It's next gen only. They show clips of big games throughout the week with all kinds of stats being shown. They've also covered the player of the week with clips of his games. They are previewing a big game coming up right now (Gonzaga vs UNC.) Then, they reviewed a couple of other big games with good looking clips. Very cool. With real names even better - really adds to immersion with players around the league.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #79
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola -

Simmed the next week as I had two unwinnable games, and we lost them both fast simming them.

The next show not only covered big games of the week such as Kansas beating Florida, but also looked at the polls, and where big recruits signed early (#1 recruit signed at Florida.) They showed his letter grades in a variety of skills as well (I wonder if they are actuals or a consensus scout opinion.)

Early polls were kind of wacky with Nevada at #1 with a 4-0 record.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

31 more days until this game is MINE!!! Muuhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Game, Xcharge kit, and a memory card is a Christmas MUST for me. If not, she's not getting her gifts.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

I can only "image" what this company would have done with football this year.. fuckin' EA.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #82
Izulde
Head Coach

Went to about 15 stores today... and believe it or not NONE of them had NCAA College Hoops 2K7 for the 360. It was unreal.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #83
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A few other thoughts as I'm about to win my first played game finally (against Centenary at their court.)

- Player speed is really distinguishable from guy to guy. My speedy guards are blowing by their slower guards when we do get a break opportunity.

- Still not sure lateral quickness and big men being able to stop guards is completely solved, but it's better than NBA 2k7.

- Some people won't like how many blown lay-ups there are, but I do. Lower level college guys miss quite a bit I think. The game seems to model that well.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #84
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Izulde-

My wife looked for a copy for me and she was told the only college basketball made is by EA Sports. I'm not sure what store she went to - probably Target or Walmart, so it doesn't completely surprise me.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #85
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I'd like to get this, but with the missing features for the Xbox version, I don't think I will.

Yeah, me too. What are the differences exactly? I didn't follow this release so closely, but 2K always makes very good basketball games.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:11 AM   #86
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Izulde-

My wife looked for a copy for me and she was told the only college basketball made is by EA Sports. I'm not sure what store she went to - probably Target or Walmart, so it doesn't completely surprise me.

I finally broke down and pulled the trigger on a 360 last night. Went to Walmart with the idea of also getting either nba or college hoops 2k7. Of course no luck with the BB games. My son is home from college and he picked up Madden for it. Sure it's not the greatest for serious simming but it's still fun and my God does it look nice.

I've got the week off so I could either order the game and wait for delivery or make a 150 mile round trip to pick one up. Still leaning towards CH but NBA (d'loaded and played the demo) is awfully tempting also. After that the tit will
have run dry. I've spent way too much on gaming the last 6 months or so (it's pretty bad when you realize it without the wife having to say a thing ).
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:15 AM   #87
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've read some impressions from people that have told me it's has the best presentation and gameplay of any console sports game to date.

I'm really anxious for this one.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:30 AM   #88
rexallllsc
Banned

This game is a bit harder than the last one
Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #89
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc View Post
This game is a bit harder than the last one

It's quite a bit harder for me. I forgot to change my settings from the default after loading the "real rosters" and I was getting my ass handed to me on Starter level. Granted it was a much better team I was playing against, but still, Starter was working me over. I had to work really hard for my one win on All-Star with my crappy Nicholls State team (at least we are close to getting a 1 star PF who is 6'8 230 and will add some interior size and is supposed to be a good rebounder.)
Old 11-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #90
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Another thing I like: Confidence has a significant effect on a player. There seems to be some carry over from game to game too. My end of the bench players start out at -5 or -10 from their overall rating because I haven't used them hardly at all for the first 8 or so games. Meanwhile, my good players, particularly my stars, who are shooting well start out at plus 3 or so. If they make shots early, it can really rise. I've had guys at plus 15 by the 2nd half. Likewise, if the bench guys don't get in early, their confidence can go even further down. I have a C (normally 50 overall) who is at 30 overall now due to confidence problems. I'm finally blowing out a team (University of Louisiana - Monroe which is actually slightly worse rated) and so I'm working on getting my backup C time to rebuild his confidence a bit, but it's hard since he is missing everything.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #91
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
It's quite a bit harder for me. I forgot to change my settings from the default after loading the "real rosters" and I was getting my ass handed to me on Starter level. Granted it was a much better team I was playing against, but still, Starter was working me over. I had to work really hard for my one win on All-Star with my crappy Nicholls State team (at least we are close to getting a 1 star PF who is 6'8 230 and will add some interior size and is supposed to be a good rebounder.)

That's what happened to me too - is Starter not the default?

I was Ucla and got beat by 36 by BYU.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #92
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Starter is the default, but All-American is the most balanced difficulty setting with neither side getting any boosts and is the difficulty level I usually play at.

Edit: Starter on the other hand gives slight boosts to the user's team.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-25-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #93
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I really love how much smarter the AI is passing. If you try to play passing lanes, they will usually try to make cuts to change the passing lanes. Also, the passes will be thrown at an angle that has the best chance of avoiding the defender. I feel much more rewarded when I make a steal playing the lanes, and it feels much less cheap.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #94
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola -

It's not just a loud atmosphere in the game, it is a smart atmosphere. I was up 20 over ULM at their arena midway through the 2nd half. I brought in my backups. ULM cut the lead from 20 to 12 and the crowd was going crazy cheering them on. Then, I brought in my starters, but momentum stayed with them and they cut it to 3 with the crowd seemingly getting progressively louder and louder. It was actually making me nervous and my guys were missing shots like crazy. Finally, my veteran SG buried a 3 pointer with us only up by 3. It took the air out of the crowd and definitely quieted them down, but didn't shut them up completely. They made a dunk the next play and the crowd ratched up again. Very cool.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #95
Radii
Head Coach

I can't wait for the PS2 version.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #96
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I can't wait for the PS2 version.

Me neither. This sucks.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #97
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

EaglesFan27, what sliders are you using? Just fouls bumped up and game speed turned down? Have you made any adjustments to the rebounding? I'll be starting my legacy tonight and am looking for some settings to start with.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #98
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Wife's out of town and my HS daughter was at work. So I went ahead and made the trip to pick up the game. Got home to find my daughter got off early and has the tv in the game room tied up playing Guitar Hero 2 on the ps2.

Guess I'll go play doubles with her until she tires. Then fire up the new 360 and burn the midnight oil.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #99
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
EaglesFan27, what sliders are you using? Just fouls bumped up and game speed turned down? Have you made any adjustments to the rebounding? I'll be starting my legacy tonight and am looking for some settings to start with.

I've bumped shooting down 1 notch for close/medium/3 pointers for the CPU to counter my lack of hitting shots at the height of the rise and the CPU always seeming to do so.

Other than that, I have Charge Fouls at 100, Blocking fouls at 75, shooting and reaching in fouls at 90. Giving me good foul totals.

I have gamespeed and player speed at 38 which gives good stats if I don't rush my shots. I always seem to score more efficiently if I don't rush my shots and really work for the best shot, so this works well.

No rebounding changes. Once I finally played a bad team, I outrebounded them. It's not like NBA 2k7. If you have better rebounders, you can usually rebound quite well against the CPU. However, I've found boxing out and helping with the guards is critical at least for my weak rebounding team. I can't let my guards leak out for the fast break too many times or we get killed by offensive boards. If I use them to help rebound, I'm doing ok against teams without a dominant big man.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-25-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #100
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Is it All-Conference or All-American that doesn't give any boosts to either team? All-Conference is the middle of 5 difficulty levels, but I seem to remember All-American (4th of 5) being the balanced one, too.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 11-25-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote