Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
The guy was pretty pissed about it, but the dealer said that they were instructed to not let anything slide this year. If they heard an F bomb for any reason they were to immediately call the floor. They also announced that fact to all the players before hand.

Somebody ought to tell them that they're only aired on cable

Somewhat more seriously, sounds like the WSOP must have hired some people away from NASCAR to "help" them with their marketing. Honestly, the only poker players I give a rip about (or can have a hope in hell of identifying) are basically those who have a little personality, which might include some who indulge in a bit of profanity.

Just seems a little over the top for this to be something that they identify as a big concern.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #52
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Donk-a-licious

Cardplayer.com
Mon Jul 31 12:48:00 PDT 2006

John Myung raises to $125 pre-flop and the player in seat 7 re-raises to $300. The action folds to Myung who calls. The flop comes QJ5. Myung checks and his opponent bets $500. Myung raises to $1,100 and his opponent instantly goes all-in (for $10,000) in a very fast, angry, frustrated manner. Myung coolly says, "That much, huh?" His opponent excitedly says, "Yeah! I'll show you..." Myung folds and his opponent shows AA. He then proceeds to hoop and holler, drawing attention from the surrounding tables. Myung simply says, "I'm glad I didn't call."
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #53
Jas_lov
College Starter

Wish I could have seen this...

Cardplayer.com Mon Jul 31 12:48:00 PDT 2006

Sean Sheikhan Eliminated
On a flop of 973 and $675 in the pot, the player in seat 2 bets $700. Sean Sheikhan raises to $2,000 and the player re-raises all-in for $10,000 more. Sheikhan makes the call and shows QQ while his opponent shows 99 for a set. The turn and river come 8K, and Sheikhan is eliminated.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:30 PM   #54
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My favorite "f-bomb rule" story is the one with Anna Benson.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #55
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
My favorite "f-bomb rule" story is the one with Anna Benson.

Oh, yeah I heard about this, the one where she got 10 minutes for saying the F-bomb, and then trying out all the other curses (we're talking compound phrases here, folks), to see what else is verboten?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #56
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup.. that was the one:

9:30pm... Boring Sunday... at least four members of the media agree that today is a little slow, borderline on boring. Aside from the early Matusow F-bomb the only other story involved Anna Benson who dropped an F-bomb herself and was told that was the only word she could not say at the table. She proceeded to let rip as many curse words as possible to test the rule. She even pitched out the word "cocksucker."

(this is from last year's WSOP thread)
Old 07-31-2006, 03:52 PM   #57
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

A class act, that broad....
Old 07-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #58
sabotai
General Manager

That is seriously hilarious.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #59
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
A class act, that broad....

As a friend of mine said, she's a woman who got famous for saying that she would have sex with an entire baseball team. And then she got trashy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #60
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'd love to see Anna Benson get her ass kicked by someone like Evelyn Ng...

...in Hi-Def slow motion
Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #61
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Cardplayer.com Jul 31 18:04:00 PDT 2006
Hand of the Day? Bad Beat of the Day?
With $4,000 in the pot and a flop of 983, Adam Meyer bets $1,200. Jeremiah Smith raises to $6,000 and Meyer immediately moves all-in. Jeremiah calls and shows 99 while Meyer shows 88. The turn is no help to Meyer as the 6 falls. The river, however, brings a miracle for him as the 8 comes. Meyer doubles up to $30,000 and Smith has fallen to $10,000 following that hand along with a hand he lost 5 minutes later.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 07-31-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #62
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

From another board:

A player has just been disqualified from the main event. He was putting chips into his pocket when he was caught by a floorman. The player claimed that he heard it was ok to hide chips in his pocket, but that stuff doesn't fly in the World Series. He has been disqualified, and the floorman went on to say that this was the first DQ of it's kind for the entire WSOP. His chips were confiscated and removed from play.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #63
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: here it is, the full update from CardPlayer

Mon Jul 31 15:37:00 PDT 2006
First Disqualification of the Series

A player has just been disqualified from the main event. He was putting chips into his pocket when he was caught by a floorman. The player claimed that he was told he could transfer his chips in his pocket, but the tournament director explained why it was against the rules at the World Series. If a player takes tournament chips out of sight, they are no longer in play. This is done to prevent chip dumping and counterfeit chips from entering tournament play. The player has been disqualified, and the floorman went on to say that this was the first disqualification of it's kind for this year's WSOP. Last year, a player was also eliminated by carrying his chips in his pocket. His chips were confiscated and removed from play. If a player were to only put some of his chips in his pocket, only those chips would be removed, and he would still be able to continue playing with the remainder of his chips. When players are moved or tables are broken, the tournament directors make sure to give the players chip racks and tell them not to remove the chips from sight. The eye in the sky is always watching.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:59 PM   #64
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Dola: here it is, the full update from CardPlayer

Mon Jul 31 15:37:00 PDT 2006
First Disqualification of the Series

A player has just been disqualified from the main event. He was putting chips into his pocket when he was caught by a floorman. The player claimed that he was told he could transfer his chips in his pocket, but the tournament director explained why it was against the rules at the World Series. If a player takes tournament chips out of sight, they are no longer in play. This is done to prevent chip dumping and counterfeit chips from entering tournament play. The player has been disqualified, and the floorman went on to say that this was the first disqualification of it's kind for this year's WSOP. Last year, a player was also eliminated by carrying his chips in his pocket. His chips were confiscated and removed from play. If a player were to only put some of his chips in his pocket, only those chips would be removed, and he would still be able to continue playing with the remainder of his chips. When players are moved or tables are broken, the tournament directors make sure to give the players chip racks and tell them not to remove the chips from sight. The eye in the sky is always watching.

$10k well spent.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 PM   #65
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

does anyone have the link for how dixieflatline busted?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #66
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://www.92offsuit.com/

It's on the main page

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-31-2006 at 11:32 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:48 PM   #67
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am in no way sugguesting dixie did anything wrong but I may have pushed more on the flop with the hearts on board but good show and tough luck my friend
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #68
Subby
lolzcat

Hi Donkey!

Andrew Black Crippled
Preflop action folds to the player in the small blind, who raises. Andrew Black raises to $17,000 from the big blind, enough to put his opponent all-in. His opponent calls and shows AQ, while Black shows K10 and will need to improve. The board comes A527Q, giving Black's opponent two pair to take down the pot and double up. Black's stack is down to $2,500 after the hand, leaving him crippled.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #69
Subby
lolzcat

Andrew Black Eliminated
Last year's 5th place finisher has been eliminated shortly after moving to a different table.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #70
Logan
Head Coach

Does this Cardplayer site have "reporters" running around, observing tables? Or do they depend on others to tell them what happened after the hand? Just curious.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #71
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Does this Cardplayer site have "reporters" running around, observing tables? Or do they depend on others to tell them what happened after the hand? Just curious.
I believe they have a whole bunch of intern/reporters running around.

Also, in case you didn't know Cardplayer is THE definitive magazine for poker as well. It's a good read if you're interested in the poker community.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 08-01-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #72
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Andrew Black Eliminated
Last year's 5th place finisher has been eliminated shortly after moving to a different table.
At least you know with Black he just smiled nicely and walked away, content with the knowlege that on this death bed he will receive total consciousness, which is nice.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 08-01-2006 at 06:14 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #73
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like last year's winner, Joe Hachem, is doing well, even with the bullseye on him. He's up close to $90K at this point.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #74
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Tue Aug 01 15:51:00 PDT 2006
The Master Eliminated
Men Nguyen had all of his chips in on a flop of J63. Ken Jacobs calls, having Nguyen covered. Nguyen flips over QJ for top pair and a flush draw, and Jacobs shows 33 for a set. The turn brings the 4, giving "The Master" his flush, but the river brought the 6, filling up Jacobs' boat and eliminating Nguyen. Jacobs now has $193,000.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:21 AM   #75
larrymcg421
Head Coach

ThisI hope when I play in the WSOP, someone does something as dumbassed as this:

Varkonyi Wins Battle of Blinds
Action is folded around to Robert Varkonyi in the small blind, and he limps, the big blind raises to $1,000 and Varkonyi calls. The flop is 654, Varkonyi checks, the big blind bets $2,000, and Varkonyi calls. The turn is the 10, Varkonyi checks, the big blind bets $3,000, and Varkonyi calls. The river is the K, Varkkonyi bets $5,000, the big blind raises to $10,000, Varkonyi then re-raises his last $1,400 all-in, and the big blind folds. Varkonyi now has $33,400.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:44 AM   #76
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Someone please explain this hand to me...why is Lane in this hand in the first place?

Tue Aug 01 22:25:00 PDT 2006
5-4 Kills Aces and Kings
The player in seat 1 raises to $3,000 from early position, and two players call the raise. Jon Lane re-raises to $20,000 from middle position, and seat 9 moves all-in for $35,000 total. Seat 1 calls the all-in, and action is folded to Lane. Lane calls the raise. The flop comes A73. Seat 1 tries to bet $20,000, but only brings out $10,000 first and is cited for a string-bet; Lane makes the call of $10,000. The turn is the 6, seat 1 bets $20,000, Lane moves all-in, and seat 1 calls for his last $21,000. Seat 9 shows KK, seat 1 has AA, and Lane has 54. Lane yells, "Don't pair the board!" and the 2 peels off on the river to secure Lane a huge pot and eliminate two players. Lane is now up to $350,000.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #77
Subby
lolzcat

Squeeze play gone wrong...

Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #78
QuikSand
lolzcat

Observations from the earlier 1K event (following up on items from above)...

-They made the announcement about not putting chips into your pockets at *every* opportunity -- announcing this multiple times before every break. I'm sure they continued doing so in the later events. That was probably just an absent-minded play by someone who wasn't paying close attention, but it's pretty inexcusable.

-The CardPlayer lackeys were swarming like locusts by the time our event got down to the money -- after most big hands, there would be someone buzzing around making a spot chip count and, if needed, getting names of the affected players. After the overnight break (when they got to read the names and counts from every player) the details get even more secure. They seemed to do a good job, as nearly as I could tell.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #79
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
ThisI hope when I play in the WSOP, someone does something as dumbassed as this:

Varkonyi Wins Battle of Blinds
Action is folded around to Robert Varkonyi in the small blind, and he limps, the big blind raises to $1,000 and Varkonyi calls. The flop is 654, Varkonyi checks, the big blind bets $2,000, and Varkonyi calls. The turn is the 10, Varkonyi checks, the big blind bets $3,000, and Varkonyi calls. The river is the K, Varkkonyi bets $5,000, the big blind raises to $10,000, Varkonyi then re-raises his last $1,400 all-in, and the big blind folds. Varkonyi now has $33,400.

HAHAHHA!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #80
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Someone please explain this hand to me...why is Lane in this hand in the first place?

Perhaps, he is one of those people, who likes to buy things that are on sale for 50% off. My pathetic analysis...

He was the one that re-raised to $20K from $3K, so he's looking to steal the pot or find out who has a really strong hand. Perhaps his table was playing tight, or he had some sort of read on the raiser and the 2 callers.

When seat 9 is all-in and gets called by one player, it is only costing him another $15K to be one of three players to see the flop.

After the flop, he basically got 50% off on the action to see another card. And, he has 8 outs from two different inside straight draws. The best he would have put his opponents on is probably a set. The guy wanted to bet $20K but his poor play made it only $10K to see another card.

So, in summary I don't like his initial $20K reraise. However, the $15K call pre-flop and the $10K call post-flop, seem like very good calls to me. Usually the raises (bets) tend to go up to keep players out of the pot, so seat 1's call with bullets after seat 9 went all in cost him the pot. Seat 1 should have went all in at that point for his last, (edit) $46K to make it a total of $66K pre-flop. Which might have gotten Lane to fold, and won seat 1 the pot.

Last edited by twothree : 08-02-2006 at 01:20 PM.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #81
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

My thought is the same as Subby, he tried a squeeze play (on two players is pretty risky though). After that, he was getting great pot odds to stay in the hand at each decision.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #82
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Tue Aug 01 22:25:00 PDT 2006
5-4 Kills Aces and Kings
The player in seat 1 raises to $3,000 from early position, and two players call the raise. Jon Lane re-raises to $20,000 from middle position, and seat 9 moves all-in for $35,000 total. Seat 1 calls the all-in, and action is folded to Lane. Lane calls the raise. The flop comes A73. Seat 1 tries to bet $20,000, but only brings out $10,000 first and is cited for a string-bet; Lane makes the call of $10,000. The turn is the 6, seat 1 bets $20,000, Lane moves all-in, and seat 1 calls for his last $21,000. Seat 9 shows KK, seat 1 has AA, and Lane has 54. Lane yells, "Don't pair the board!" and the 2 peels off on the river to secure Lane a huge pot and eliminate two players. Lane is now up to $350,000.

I read this same thing and WTF was Lane thinking calling 3 raises w/ 45o preflop?!?! Wonder how sick Lane would of been if seat 1 brought out a big bet rather than 10k (or even 20k). and he would have folded.

Odds:

P-Flop
KK 18%
AA 65%
45o 16%

Going to the turn:

KK 4%
AA 70%
45o 25% (he had huge pot odds after the flop to call 10k)

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #83
Subby
lolzcat

He didn't call 3 raises with 54o preflop. He re-raised the EP raiser, then called seat 9's all-in.

His first raise was a squeeze play. When he called the allin, there was (according to CardPlayer) at least 96k in the pot (seat 1: 35k, seat 9: 35k, two 3k callers, his initial 20k). So he is getting 6:1 to make the call (plus he closes the action pf).

On the flop Seat 9 is already allin, so Lane is closing the action. At least 111K in the pot means he is getting odds for sure on the 10K bet. I think the 20K bet, but not sure...

Anyway, aside from an iffy squeeze play and screaming at the cards to not pair, I don't think he did anything wrong.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #84
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

He didn't want the board to pair because the AA guys would have made Aces Full House
Old 08-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #85
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
He didn't want the board to pair because the AA guys would have made Aces Full House

I think Subby's point was that it's pretty poor form to yell and scream at a board when you've sucked out on Kings and Aces with 5-4.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #86
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
You are really good at this!

Old 08-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #87
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
You are really good at this!

Or even four of a kind Aces!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #88
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I am in no way sugguesting dixie did anything wrong but I may have pushed more on the flop with the hearts on board but good show and tough luck my friend
I totally should have reraised on the flop. He was just so aggressive that I thought I could turn it into a big hand when I should have been happy with what was in the pot. Against any other player at the table and I am reraising that flop for sure but this guy messed me up. BTW, LAGgy play during day 1 is certainly the way to go. The loose aggressive players at both of my tables left the table as the chip leader (for that table).

Thanks for the kind words Todd and Chris. It was kind of a nice feeling to take Phil Gordon's seat after he was knocked out. Besides that screw up on the bust out hand I feel like I was playing well. I had 17K in chips at that point and had some nice reads of the other players. 2nd chance is tomorrow and I am feeling great about that. More of a crap shoot but that is what I do best
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #89
Subby
lolzcat

Good luck tomorrow!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #90
PineTar
High School JV

Wed Aug 02 18:52:00 PDT 2006
Another Past Champion Busted
Greg Raymer has just been eliminated from this years Main Event
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #91
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Seat 1 calls the all-in

This is THE mistake in the hand. With AA and all this action, you have got to push here. If he did, Lane would have laid down his hand and then Seat 1 would have had AA heads up with alot of dead money in the pot. You can't get a better situation than that in poker. By not pushing, he screwed himself and deserved to get cracked.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #92
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Gale Plays Against Pocket Queens...And Knows It
One hand after winning a big pot against Rogelio Martinez, John Gale is still stacking his chips when an opponent raises $4,000. Gale calls but his opponent thinks he folded. His opponent turns over the Q and Q. The floor is called and it's ruled the hand will still go on. The flop comes K95 and Gale bets $10,000. His opponent laughs and throws his Queens at Gale's chips. Gale who just bluffed the hand before says, "I had the best of it," just like he did the hand before. And just like the hand before, Gale was bluffing again as he turns over 66.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #93
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I know most of this guy's chips are low denomination... but damn that's a lot of chips.

http://www.cardplayer.com/image_gall...ri_Nobles.jpg#
Old 08-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #94
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's Dimitri Nobles, who has 553,000 after day 2B, more then 200K more then anyone who played that day.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #95
Barkeep49
Coordinator

And who sounds like a grade A donkey.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #96
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

hell, there was a hand on his day 1 where his JJ was all in vs QQ, Q on the flop, and Runner Runner JJ on the Turn and the River.

Sick Sick Beat.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #97
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
hell, there was a hand on his day 1 where his JJ was all in vs QQ, Q on the flop, and Runner Runner JJ on the Turn and the River.

Sick Sick Beat.
Yeah it sounds like he depends a lot on luck. Not saying he isn't about 20x better than me, but I would have to think he'd make the worst ME winner since Varkonyi.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #98
Jas_lov
College Starter

So who are the favorites to win it all now? Negreanu(331k), Allen Cunningham(172k), John Gale(170k), Joe Hachem(142k), Ted Forrest(125k), Humberto Brenes(110k), Josh Arieh(82k), Carlos Mortensen(82k), Annie Duke(73k), Chris Ferguson(60k), Freddy Deeb(58k), Layne Flack(25k), Phil Ivey(20k).

Those are the biggest names left. Negreanu obviously has the best chance with the most chips out of the big name pros. He has a favorable table draw for Day 3 with no pros and 2nd in chips at his table is about half of his stack. The bubble will soon be approaching and that's where Negreanu and other pros above can feast on satellite qualifiers who just want to squeak into the money. That being said, I'm a betting man, but I still don't know if I'd bet on any of these pros making the final table, but Negreanu and Cunningham have to be the favorites of them to do it.

Last year it seemed like a lock to have at least 2-3 pros at the final table when Raymer, Ivey, Matusow, Minh Ly were all in the top 25. Raymer ran into Kanter, Ivey ran into the sick human being known as Andrew Black, they didn't really show what happened to Minh, and Matusow made it so anything can happen I guess.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 08-03-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #99
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Gale has had quite a run lately - if he can keep momentum, I'd wager he's make the final table, too.

And poor Ivey is short-stacked like a mo-fo.

"Just because you pour syrup on it don't make it a pancake."

Last edited by Toddzilla : 08-03-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #100
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'd say it's still way too early to talk about pros at the final table. I mean the chip leader has 500k chips when there are what 10 million chips in play?